Katee Sackhoff/Det. Reed #1 - She's working on her sensitivity!

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by vegaslights, Oct 30, 2010.

1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

[​IMG]

Last night we were introduced to red-headed Detective Reed, played by the beautiful and talented Katee Sackhoff. Right now her role is recurring (with the possibility of becoming a series regular), so I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to her. :)

From what I've been reading, many CSI fans think she is a Sofia/Riley clone--which I agree with to a certain degree. I don't think it's the fault of Katee, who is pretty well known for her work on Battlestar Galactica (Starbuck!!!). In my opinion, it boils down the writers. Every time we hear about a new female joining the show (whether we go back a few years to when Louise Lombard joined the show; or Lauren Lee Smith back in season nine) the character descriptions always seem to be the same.

I was a huge fan of Sofia and Riley, but both were fired from the show and we never really got closure for either one (especially Sofia... where the hell is she?!). Are most of you hesitant to like her in case she abruptly leaves the show just like many females from the past?

CSI needs new female blood. That's a fact. Catherine is leaving soon, Sara's status is up in the air, and recurring lab techs such as Mandy are plain M.I.A. Adding Reed to the mix could be a real positive thing for the show, I think... especially when we get to know her more.

2. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I really like having Katee on the show. One because I think she does great work and I get to see Starbuck again :p. Two because like you mentioned CSI definitely NEEDS female blood. It's just sad how the male/female ratio is on this show and it will only get worse once Marg leaves. So introducing a new female character so we'll already be used to her and know her when Cath leaves, is a good idea IMO.

I liked that she wasn't introduced as a bitch, know it all. Yeah she has attitude, but we could see there was more to her when she commented on her sensitivity (which was quite funny too) and because she apologized to Nick. So I'm intrigued because she wasn't boxed into the "tough, bitchy, super wonder" personality and we can see that there's more to her from just her first appearance.

I do see the similarities between her and Sofia and Riley and I do hope we get more distinct personality traits to really separate her from them. Especially in the wardrobe department...:lol: So if they are not bringing Sofia back and they are definitely done with Riley, introducing this character now is IMO a great idea.

3. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I'm definitely joining the Reed/Sackhoff fan club here.

I agree with Vegaslights about a certain amount of hesitation in fully embracing her character. I was a HUGE fan of Sofia and Riley was really starting to grow on me. Having been burned twice, I'm a little weary about the future of Detective Reed.

I did find it odd that her hair was red here. I can only figure that they're trying to set her apart from Sofia and Riley. That could work as a good thing. The curse of the disappearing blonds might miss her. :lol:

I should note though that I may be biased toward her character. She's frakking Starbuck for cryin' out loud! :lol: Plus, I have a thing for red-heads... ;)

4. DragonFriend95

DragonFriend95 Lab Technician

I really like her character- kind of inevitable in my case since she's recurring :p She certainly does have traits similar to Riley/Sofia, but I blame the writers for apparently only being able to write two sorts of females: 'snarky tough' or 'feisty tough' :shifty:

Anyway I hope we get to see more of her; I recently acquired the S8 boxset of 24 so I'm looking forward to seeing her actress in that as well.

5. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

^Her role on 24 was sort of like a mixed bag. :lol: I enjoyed seeing her on 24, but it's definitely not one of her better roles.

6. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

I love Katee Sackhoff!
    I just hope she's not been brought in because Paul has decided to retire (I hope he's not!)

7. Gremine

Gremine Rookie

Good point. I don't know 24 but she was great in BSG. Maybe it is too early to judge but i really liked Det. Reed. She needs more interaction, more lines... And i need to agree it is like they put a little bit Riley and a little bit Sofia together and here she is Det. Reed! I hope this time their formula works and she doesn't vanish in the air. :shifty:

8. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Yeah, she is like Sofia and Riley. Though I think she's a little more... spirited? Yeah, I'm gonna go with spirited. :lol:

She certainly seems the type to kick ass and take names. I really like that. :lol: :devil:

9. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Katee's only been in two episode so far, but her character Detective Reed has had some of the best lines this season. I know she's filming a movie right now, but I would *definitely* love to see some more Reed!!

10. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I thought her "I'm on point so don't shoot me in the ass" line was hilarious! I think she has great chemistry with Nick (as in they work really well together) and goes well with the CSI cast. Hope she sticks around and that the wardrobe department does her justice soon.

11. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I have say, I like her too. The "don't shoot me in the ass." Comment had me laughing. She's fitting in nicely I would agree.

I do want to see more of her.

12. electra

electra Pathologist

I hope that she stays for good.She has the dark humour that I like about CSI and we need more female blood.Great chemistry with Nick,too.Hope the writers give her good material to work with.

13. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

Yeah I'm liking her so far. She's bringing back the funny sarcastic humor which I LOVE :)

14. vsuga

vsuga Rookie

I'm actually enjoying her on vegas. She snarky, funny, and corky; I also think she vibes well with Nick.