Baseball 2011 Season

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Destiny, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Re: Baseball 2010 Season

I'm a couple of days late here :D but congrats to the San Francisco Giants on winning this year's World Series. Job well done :)

and on some sad news :(

Former Detroit Tiger manager Sparky Anderson has died :(

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson has died, his family announced Thursday. He was 76.

Anderson, who managed the Cincinnati Reds and Detroit Tigers to World Series titles, died as a result of complications from dementia, family spokesman Dan Ewald said in a statement.

His death came a day after the family announced he had been placed in hospice care at his home.

Anderson won 2,194 games as a manager, which was the third-highest total in major league history when he retired, trailing Connie Mack and John McGraw. He now stands sixth, also trailing Tony La Russa, Bobby Cox and Joe Torre.

Anderson was the first manager to win World Series titles in both leagues and the only manager to lead two franchises in career wins.

He led Cincinnati's Big Red Machine to World Series wins in 1975-76. He won four National League pennants in Cincinnati from 1970-78 and then was fired after consecutive second-place finishes.

Anderson went to the American League and won there, too, directing the Tigers to a World Series title in 1984 and a division title in 1987. He retired after the 1995 season and was added to the Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee.

2. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Also late to this thread, but congrats to the 2010 World Champions, The San Fransico Giants. You guys showed heart and class all the way to your victory. Enjoy every minute of it.

3. leegrace

leegrace Victim

Well Congrats to all of the Champions... They Deserve it.

4. Jacquie

And in the 'This Just In' Category :)

Roy Halladay has unanimously won the National League Cy Young Award. This is Doc's second award. He won the American League Award in 2003 while with the Blue Jays. Doc is only the fifth pitcher in both leagues to win the award unanimously. Congrats Doc on a great year you had.

5. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I also posted this in the RIP thread in Gentv

Source: Cleveland Plaine Dealer

Bob Feller, The Greatest Cleveland Indian, dies at age 92

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Bob Feller, the brilliant pitcher who is the only Cleveland pro athlete to be immortalized with a statue, died Wednesday night of complications from leukemia at age 92.

Feller died at 9:15 p.m. on Wednesday night, according to Bob DiBiasio, the Indians vice president of public relations.

The Hall of Famer hurled 266 victories, most in Indians history, from 1936 to 1956, despite losing almost four years at the peak of his powers after enlisting in the Navy during World War II.

Before free agency, great players such as Feller could spend their whole careers with one team. Feller spent most of his life with the Indians. He put on an Indians uniform for the first time at 17 when he made his big league in 1936. He was still wearing one as late as June, when he attended an old-timers game in Cooperstown, N.Y. Every March he threw out the first pitch to start the Indians' spring training schedule.

The Indians have had great players throughout their history, but none greater or more enduring than Feller. He was always around the ballclub. Spring training never officially began until he walked into the press room and told reporters, "It's time to go put on my monkey suit."

During the season, he was a fixture in the press box at Progressive Field for home games. When he wasn't, he was touring the country signing autographs and making speeches. He was always on ... always Bob Feller, Cleveland Indians Hall of Famer.

Feller died in a local hospice after entering the Cleveland Clinic last week with symptoms of pneumonia. He endured a series of health problems since being diagnosed with myeloid leukemia in August.

After receiving chemotherapy for the leukemia, Feller had trouble with vertigo. In October, he had a pacemaker installed.

The pneumonia developed after Feller was diagnosed with thrush, an infection of the mucus membrane lining the mouth and throat. Feller, weakened because he couldn't eat, became more susceptible to pneumonia.

For A Lot More See The Link Provided

6. Jacquie

Very sad Destiny but he certainly lived a good long life.

R.I.P. Bob Feller :(

7. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I'm ready for 2011. Let's go Yanks!!!

8. Jacquie

And some good news for Jays fans and Roberto Alomar. Alomar and Bert Blyleven have been voted into the Hall Of Fame :)

NEW YORK—Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven have been elected to baseball's Hall of Fame.
    Alomar and Blyleven were chosen Wednesday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America after narrow misses last year.
    Alomar was picked on 90 percent of the ballots. He was a 12-time All-Star and 10-time Gold Glove winner at second base.
    Blyleven was listed on more than 79 percent of the ballots, above the 75 percent required for election. He won 287 games and ranks fifth on the career strikeout list.
    Sluggers Rafael Palmeiro, Jeff Bagwell and Mark McGwire all fell below the 50 percent mark.
    The induction ceremony will be held on July 24 in Cooperstown.

That's all in the article at the moment so there is not point in putting a link to it :D

9. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

I'm disappointed with pirates team how they played for last 20 years on a losing streak, as a long time pirates fan myself I would love to see this team to turn their games around and start playing better like penguins and steelers have in recent few years and been to the playoffs, and won the champion, but pirates hasn't won its champion since 1979. Well its 2011, I think its time for pirates to turn its over new leaf. Go Bucs!

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ ha, you think that's bad, try being a cubs fan :p

i'll be watching this season a lot more, i hope, now i have mlb set up on my computer. go cubs go!!

11. Jacquie

And yes spring is just around the corner :)

Blue Jay pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training on Monday. All position players report by Friday :) You know winter's hold on us is almost over now :)

12. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

Few days ago, I read the article about Matt Lambo aka Lambino got traded to Pirates, and the Pirates organization gave him the chance, despite of his past. Also from what I heard there was some kind of shake up in Pirates management staff on the dugout, new General Manager, what his name I think it was Huddler. I'm not getting used to that Pirates new jersey, its so bright yellow, I believe it was last time that Pirates used that color back in '70s. I think it would be nice if Pirates made those BP jersey to be permanently as regular jersey uniform to the games just like back in '70s.

13. Jacquie

It appears that Manny Ramirez has decided to retire. Ramirez has tested positive for a banned substance. This is Ramirez's second time testing positive so instead of facing a 100 games suspension he's decided to retire. You would think that being a major league player he would have learned the first time :rolleyes: I'm just glad the Jays didn't sign him :rolleyes:

Ramirez retires

14. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

Oh come on for crying out loud, bucs team didnt win yesterday however I saw the highlight of that game that was very disappointing, so I hope that bucs better be winning today! go bucs!

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Sad, sad news for Twins fans: