Grade 'Scared Stiff'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Nov 12, 2010.

?

How would you grade Scared Stiff?

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. A-

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. B+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

The new episodes keep on rolling! Give "Scared Stiff" a watch and let us know what you thought.

2. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

I really liked this episode. I gave it an A for that reason.

It was nice to actually see an episode when it airs. Like really really nice. I miss that, but it seems like it's finally worth not making plans so that I can watch it.

Time slot aside, NY is great. I love Sela Ward. Not just because we share a last name. I loved her on House, and I love her as Jo. She does a fantastic job. I'm also not just saying that because I wasn't a fan of Stella.

How I love Jo, let me count the ways:
    I love how she is the new girl, but she's a figure of authority.
    I love how she's a team player.
    I love how she's actually funny.
    I could go on and on, but I'll stop here.

About the episode:
    I loved the whole theme. I mean, I normally hate these type episodes, but this was fantastic. I loved Hawkes and Flack talking about ghosts. That was a great banter between them. It reminded me of the 3rd season episode Slight of Hand where they talked about Houdini.

It was so cheesy when Lindsay turned around and the lightning flashed and she saw Mac, but I still thought it was awesome. Maybe because it made me laugh.

This episode made me incredibly happy even though normally I'm a cynic when it comes to the show. I'm loving NY again which is awesome.

So all in all (if you could follow that jumpiness), I gave it an A. It wasn't the best episode I've ever seen, but it's the best I've seen in a while.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

The episode was good overall. There were a few moments I could have done without (and OMG the ghosts skating on the lake were soooooo cheesy :lol:), but there were also some great character moments. I adore Jo, I'm completely smitten with her, and I just love that we're getting to see her interact with everybody and establish a rapport with the team. She and Hawkes were fun this week - and Flack too, of course. And that scene with Flack and Danny in the park was hilarious. Poor Flack, he's such a city boy. I'd hate to see what happens when he encounters a spider in his apartment. :lol:

The perp was suuuuuper creepy. :wtf: Good casting for that guy.

John Larroquette was largely wasted again this week, although I'm curious to see his sister's murder resolved. I think it's interesting that they set it up this week and are carrying it over to next week. Still, if you sign a big guest star for a 3-episode arc, I wish he'd be used as much as possible during all three episodes, not just the last one. Hmm...

4. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I enjoyed the episode. I didn't have a lot of problems with it - Lindsay actually seeing the ghosts was kid of unnecessary though.

I liked the follow up about Hawkes working in the park - we hadn't heard anything about that since last season.

I'm with Flack on spiders though - I generally hate bugs.

I also do sort of like that a second case emerged that was not connected to the first, we haven't had that in a long time - I've missed it. It's also nice to have a cliff-hanger that goes into the following week, rather than the next season for once.

5. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Wow! Awesome episode! :thumbsup: This could have been just another episode but the story was VERY interesting, mixed it up with ghost-related dialogues from Flack, Jo and Hawkes, amazing set, effects, lighting and music - perfect! I laughed so hard at Flack's comment about a lady skeleton on a wheelchair! :eek: I also laughed when Lindsay was kind of scared when he saw Mac! :lol: I like that a second case was introduced. We have a mini-cliffhanger.

Awesome, creepy and fantastic episode! A+

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I missed the first half. I came in when Mac was telling Jo that the vic was the Chief's sister. Was Adam in this episode at all? I didn't see him in the second half and was just wondering if he was there earlier on in the ep.

7. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Yes Adam was in the episode. He processed the dirty old white gown. He also had a scene with Jo/Lindsay and Lindsay/Hawkes.

8. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Overall, a fun installment. I guess this was their "spooky-Halloween" show, with ghosts and morticians and all that creepy stuff. Well acted, tho I detected a heavier southern twang in Jo this week. Sela needs to get the accent down better, or at least explain it as "I'm tryin' to be a New Yorker."

The episode reminded me a lot of "Six Feet Under," where a lot of jocular funeral jokes were handed around. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation. :D

9. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I didn't notice that at all. I actually don't think she really talks with that much of a Southern accent.

10. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Sela Ward has a southern accent in real life. What you hear on the show is pretty darn close to how you would hear her speak in person.

11. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I haven't taken the time to comment on episodes in a few weeks but this one I will because I really liked it.

This one came as close as we have gotten to a two-story episode and it was nice to see everyone busy instead of trying to stretch the story to involve everyone.

I'm loving Sela Ward as Jo. I like everything about her. Yes her accent isn't exactly consistent but I wonder how hard she has had to work to neutralize it over the years of being onscreen. It's understandable to me that it comes and goes and gets thicker at moments, especially the teasing ones. That's pretty normal from what I've seen and heard over the years.

Flack is so funny. So non-believing of anything he can't see, touch, feel, or arrest. The contrast between him and Hawkes, who is a much more spiritual character was hilarious. At times I think Hawkes was just saying things to push Flack's buttons.

The ghosts on the lake were TERRIBLE!!!!! Lindsay's look, look away, breathe, and look again were great and i just knew Mac was going to scare the crap out of her...and he did. The scene later where she was sitting at the desk, looking so pensive and lost in thought while playing with the rubber band, made me think that taking a life, any life, has had an impact on her.

The fake fog in the park was ridiculous as well. First you see an overhead shot of everyone practically swimming in this dense white fog, aka smoke machine, and then all of a sudden when they start looking for tracks and evidence it's nowhere to be found, vanishing with a blink of an eye.

Overall it was a really good episode, and why they didn't run this one before Halloween I can't understand. It had the spooky factor that Boo did back in Season 3.

A+ from me.

12. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I noticed she was extra twangy too. My opinion still stands that she augments her true accent for NY.

13. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

This episode didn't really do it for me and I gave it a C-. However, judging from y'alls comments and the tweets last night, maybe I judged it too harshly.

For one thing, the fact that it wasn't aired during the Halloween week was annoying. but I realize it was probably because of Larroquette. They couldn't have aired last night's episode out of sync from last week's show. So I understand.

There were some very cheesy moments. For instance, examining the crime seen in daytime (mind you it looked like late morning to early afternoon) then Pow! It's a foggy night? How long a lunch break do csi people take? I enjoyed the banter on believing in ghosts. The ghosts on the lake seemed a little weird, conisdering they didn't address that much after the scene. I yelped out when Mac snuck up behind Lindsey lol. I did love Mac with his typical flashlight scene :sighs: I admit being in a dark park with him would be nice lol

I enjoyed Flack's irreverant comments to the murder suspect. Flack is my least favorite character on the show, but I enjoyed that bit.

As for Larroquette, I liked that turn of events. I prefer that crime to the weird fetish case. I think that people will tune in to see the other half. I hope so.

All in all, it just wasn't as memorable as usual.

14. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

A really good episode. Also some excellent cinematography in the night of that crime scene.

-NY beats Miami in the foot chase dept
    -Good use of all the characters. I've never been high on NY's characters but I will credit the writers for using them to their fullest
    -That ghost hunter guy's video cracked me up.
    -Lindsay getting spooked was a favourite as well as that dude pretending to lie dead only to pop up.

Rating: A

15. pdegan2814

pdegan2814 Dead on Arrival

Overall I liked the episode, except for the scene of Lindsay seeing the ghosts on the lake. That was just unnecessary. I loved how John Laroquette played his scenes this week. We know that something's fishy about the woman who apparently stole the identity of Carver's sister, and we know that somebody appears to have tipped her off before the cops showed up to her place. And we know that somebody was digging up the real sister's body. Chief Carver as acting just shifty enough to make us think he's the one who tipped her off, suggesting that he had something to do with his sister's murder. But that of course begs two questions. Who is the woman using his sister's identity all this time? And who was the guy digging up her grave? Carver's too old, and Mac seemed sure it was a young man, so it's not the woman using her id. I think it'd be a little cliche to have Carver turn out to be the killer. My guy says one of the sister's kids is involved somehow. From what Carver said, the guy who was digging up her grave in the park would be about the right age to be one of her kids. I don't think we learned anything about the kids' father either. It sounded like he wasn't around at the time the mom died, and if Carver took the kids in himself, then their dad was either dead or not fit to take care of them. I'm very interested to see where this is all going.

I liked the obvious frustration from Mac when he learned who the victim was, because we've seen him deal with this at least twice before. All the cases involving Ann Steel's flash drive brought Sinclair into the mix, and then there was the murder at the high school where Gerard's daughter went. Neither of those exactly went smoothly. You could see that "oh man, this is gonna be a mess" look all over his face. Of course, it helps when you have an actor like Gary Sinise who can say more with one look than a lot of actors can with a whole page of spoken lines. :)

One little touch that I really enjoyed: when Lindsay found the evidence of that guy on the first victim, who'd been dead for five years. When Hawkes make the comment about that making him a ghost, I just loved Jo's reaction. That exasperated look and swatting him with the folder, that's not the reaction of the "new girl", that's someone who's fully part of the team. One more little sign of what a great addition Jo/Sela has been this year. :)