Grade 'Out of the Sky'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Oct 22, 2010.

?

How would you grade Out of the Sky?

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. A

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. A-

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. B+

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Look! Up in the sky! Is it a bird?! A plane?! Nope, it's a new episode of CSI: NY! :)lol:)

Let us know what you think of tonight's episode. :cool:

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

The episode was pretty good. It's nice to see nods to the characters' pasts, so I liked learning a bit about Danny - although I had to laugh at the glasses he was wearing in the flashback. :p

Loved Mac's scenes with Carson. I think I said, 'Oh, snap' at least three times. :lol:

Could have done without two of Lindsay's ~demonstration~ scenes, though. :shifty:

3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

from what i saw (it was a poor quality stream and i got interrupted) i really liked it.

mac's scenes with carson were totally my highlight though - that little back & forth they had was great. i think my favourite lines were "they're a little dead right now..." as well as "not even an honorable mention", and later on, "you're a persuasive guy, persuade them not to kill you!" :D

i thought the pairing was one of the best mac's had in quite a while.

i loved the little assdialling scene with adam too, that was really funny.

i also liked that it was quite convoluted and it wasn't immediately obvious who did it.

and i liked that she kept the ring, and i thought it seemed that flack knew as much but kept quiet, and mac played innocent with carson over it. it was a nice moment of grey area.

could also have done without lindsay's demos, and also hawkes' - i've found hawkes to be getting progressively more preachy, sanctimonious and annoying over the last couple of seasons so my heart sinks a bit when i see him now. especially when he looks so earnest as he's examining evidence!

on this preliminary basis i think i'll give it a strong B+, maybe even A-

4. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Just to make sure--this was the episode with the flowers, right? :lol:

5. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I don't recall seeing any flowers.

Hey, at least he was wearing glasses in the flashback! I think last year when they did a flashback he wasn't. Poor Danny though, first Pino now this guy that have gone bad.

It was good that it wasn't immediately obvious who the killer was.

I felt like it was pretty well rounded, no one character really stuck out as having way more air time than the others.

Overall, I did like the episode.

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I laughed at a lot of Mac's lines :lol: These were great:

I actually knew the cop was behind it the minute he talked to Danny. I thought they had made such a great connection between him and Danny that of course he was going to end up behind the whole thing. Especially since everybody kept asking how he was doing. Too much concern gave it away for me.

Lindsay's little dance was... awkward :lol:

Flack saying that the guy who mugged Heath was the dumbest thief ever was funny. Especially how much he seemed to enjoy the fact that he was letting the guy know what he had missed.

Yeah I've never been a big fan of Hawkes. When I saw him tonight I was like oh yeah Hawkes is there also. I kind of forget about him.

Overall good episode. B-

7. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

Got write quick review tonight, but I really enjoyed this episode. It was far above last week's show. I felt like it was more like the ealier seasons where everyone had a pretty decent part in the episode.

I love Adam and the thing about the ass dialing cracked me up! I have a friend who has ass dialed me pretty often and I was amused.

Mac was great. I loved his sarcasm in this one and how he sparred with obnoxious lawyer boy.

Jo wasn't as irksome tonight, partially because she wasn't on as much. She didn't spout her "endless knowledge" as much and I liked that.

The flashback scene with Danny was funny. His glasses were so awful! lol

Lastly, I've watched the show for about a year and just noticed Flack's lefthanded. I love lefties!

So with that, I gotta run. I suspect I'll revist this episode online to here Mac's sarcasm again :sighs:

8. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I was really impressed with tonight's episode. The writers have done a pretty good job so far with returning to the quality episodes that we love and know from the early seasons. Danny and Flack had some terrific scenes tonight--I love seeing these two work together.

One of the biggest surprises of the night was Lindsay--I actually didn't mind her dancing bit and she didn't annoy me as much as she normally does.

Mac seems to be a bit lighter and funnier this season, which is something I'm enjoying. We've seen too much of a dark and edgy Mac Taylor these past few seasons, and it's nice to finally see him a tad more relaxed than usual.

A much better episode than last week, and I'm glad we were treated to lots of Danny and Flack scenes. :D I think I'll go with a B+ this week.

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  10. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

I gave it an A

OMG! I honestly couldn't be more thrilled about so much Flack and Danny air time. I don't think I have ever felt that excited since season five and it was FANTASTIC to see some of the old, passionate and edgy Danny again. It was so great that this episode focused on him as an individual character and now I want more episodes like that :). I don't know where to begin saying how incredibly much I missed such episodes where the personality of characters shone like that. Of course the Flack moments were just as awesome and although the plot was once again predictable, my boys made up for it in so many ways! I never thought I'd ever say that again, but "Out Of The Sky" made my weekend!

11. churchmouse

churchmouse Witness

Loved it! One part I got a kick out of was when Danny and Adam were talking about if you found a bag of jewels would you return them or take them to the police? Adam was like no…yes…um, maybe some. It was a great episode for Danny. He thought he knew someone, and they turned out to be a bad egg.

Also having Don and Danny teaming up that was great; the way Don sat there listing to Danny tell his story about his former partner. It showed what kind of close friendship they have.

12. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

Yes, I love Adam. He is goofy and flawed and adorable. I love Irish men :sighs:

13. spunky86

spunky86 Hit and Run

It was a good episode, very fluid, with little grand standing by Mac:). Danny's glasses in the flashbacks had me cracking up, they were so cute. And Mac's banter with Carson was priceless. Usually when Mac interacts with a criminal I just want them to beat him to a bloody pulp, but tonight his little quips were funny.

I loved the Adam/Danny/Hawkes scene:

Adam: What would you do if you found 5 mil in diamonds?(or something like that).

Danny: I'd give it back. (So honest and sweet Danny)

Adam: I'd keep it . (Danny's face is priceless) I mean I'd give it back (Oh Adam):)

Danny: Yo Doc we're having an ethical disscussion over here you wanna join? What would you do if you found 5 mil in diamonds?

Hawkes: I'd give it to the man with a knife at my throat ( oh Hawkes always so practical):drool:
    Over all it was a good episode.

Is it just me does anyone find that Jo doesn't really gel with the rest of the team?

14. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Agree with what was said before. It's not going to set the entertainment world afire, but it was fun, with a twist at the end (that I probably should have seen coming). In real life, defense attorney's probably don't have the chip on their shoulder that this guy did about the police. But never mind, good fun--an hour not wasted.

15. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

CSI:NY math strikes again. According to "Out of the Sky", Danny rode with the disgraced Officer Belson six years ago. This is patently impossible, as Danny has been with the lab for at least seven years, and if "On the Job" is to be believed, had worked for Mac at least five years before that. So, Danny has been a CSI for at least twelve years, yet he was riding with Belson six years ago? Unless he swiped a Time-Turner from a crime scene and figured out how it worked, that did not--could not--have happened. Even if I misheard, and the incident happened ten years ago, that still means Danny was pulling double-duty. Is it really that hard to check your show's internal continuity before you scribble something onto the page?

And for the record, I don't believe Danny is just hitting thirty, which is likely what he would be if he were a young, inexperienced patrolman a scant six years ago. In Tanglewood, Sonny Sassone was listed as twenty-eight, and he was a friend of Danny's older brother, Louie. If Sonny was twenty-eight in S1, and Danny was three or four years younger than Louie, than that would have made Danny twenty-four or twenty-five in S1, which would mean he was nineteen when Mac hired him. This, too, would be impossible, since Danny admitted to Aiden that he'd attended college and played college baseball. Even if he only remained in college for a year or two, long enough to attain his A.A., that would have made him nineteen or twenty when he entered the academy. Add in a year for training and eighteen months before he could be considered for promotion to Detective, and he would be twenty-three or twenty-four before Mac would have considered him. Given that Mac had to fight to hire him, add six months to a year for the political dickfight, and Danny would have been twenty-five by the time Mac hired him. Add five years per S1, and Danny would be thirty, two years older than the guys he idolized as a kid. Add six years to that to reach the current year, and Danny is thirty-six. Thirty-six is not thirty, and Danny was most certainly not a snot-nosed rookie six years ago.

Another conundrum: If the tracking device fell out of the bag when the boyfriend brought it home and it lodged in his shoe, to be recovered in the morgue, then how did Belson track the girlfriend to her apartment?

It wasn't all bad, though. Angell's death still resonates with Flack, who treated the girlfriend with amazing empathy and gentleness, possibly seeing his anguish in her tear-stained face.

And was Mac perhaps alluding to Flack when he told Danny that he'd be surprised what old friends could do? If so, it was a nice bit of subtlety in a show enamored of mallets.

Mallets like the cheeseball, ripped from Titanic closing scene. They aimed for sweetness and hit bathos squarely in the ass. Do you mean to tell me that she wouldn't have given the ring to Flack when he knocked on the door to reassure her after Belson's apprehension, or that neither Danny nor Flack would have wondered why Belson was stalking her after he'd retrieved the majority of the jewels? Sometimes the prettier scene is the greatest disservice to the plot.

Eminently watchable, but not without its failings. B-

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010