Sela/Jo Thread #1 "I'm Jo Danville. I didn't do it."

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by PerfectAnomaly, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

Cursing about it really doesn't change anything (noting the smiley)....

Indeed, this was done in the past; certain actors and actresses lost their jobs when films went from silent to talking. Some performers presented themselves voice wise very well and subsequently, were agreeable to the audience; they continued making films easily, adapting to having their voices and accents (or lack thereof) heard. However, others did not and fell out of favor (and didn't make any more movies either). HD is almost as big a leap for television as talking was for movies.

So I feel this is a by product of the modernization of the media- HD forces one to see people in a more detailed and thus critical eye. In the movie 54, Ms. Ward didn't play a large part and thus for me, didn't cause a negative distraction- in NY however, as I said, she is in a lead role, she's going to be seen a lot and HD makes a person hard to ignore, unless one choose to.

I wish TPTB had thought of this before trying to replace Melina; she was a joy to see and even in this last episode with Adam, I was imagining how she would have handled the situation that he was in. Certainly not as a former FBI expert, but their previous friendship would have brought a level of warmth and sympathy that Melina expresses by her appearance as well as what she says or does.

In addition, however controversial or adversarial this insight of mine seems to be, I think it is a fair topic to bring up because it IS television and IT IS a visual medium. People may not help the way they look, but one (TPTB) can choose people for certain roles by trying to keep the viewer's eye in mind too, however in this case, TPTB chose not to- whether it because they don't care is still a question that might bear examining....

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I think it's obvious they did care because IMO Sela Ward is stunningly beautiful. Sela being unattractive is not a fact. It's an opinion that is not shared by everyone.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  3. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I am enjoying Sela Ward as Jo more and more as I see her become more comfortable in the lab with the others. I was excited to hear that she was joining the cast as I had always liked her in just about everything she ever did. She has always been beautiful to me and I think she has great things ahead of her with CSI:NY.

As for the comments about HD TV and Melina: I know that many actresses were terrified of HD because it does tend to show up minor flaws and details that were not highly visible on regular TV. I know that Sela Ward is not a "youngster" but then neither am I so I appreciate the fact that they have chosen a mature, wise, experienced person to bring to the team. I find her to be charming, smart, and funny.

I never liked the way the writers and wardrobe people sexualized Stella, from the tight jeans:rolleyes: to the ever-present-almost-in-full-view tatas:eek: to the ridiculous evening dresses they had her wear:wtf: to the way they made her a punching bag:shifty: (to quote Top41). It did nothing to help me take her seriously as a character so I am much in favor of the change.

I know that many mourn the loss of Melina/Stella:( but it was her choice for whatever reason, which will remain private until she decides to share the entire story. To compare one character/actress with the other is like comparing apples to oranges. Jo is a mature professional with a sense of humor. I like her, I hope she brings a very different view of women to the show, and I can't say I miss Stella because I thought her appearance and the way she conducted herself was distracting.

So I guess we all have an opinion and I'm really glad this is a forum that encourages any and all of us to speak freely.;)

4. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I totally agree with you!:thumbsup: The problem is if your opinion is unpopular or disagreeable be ready for the on slaught of attack because your opinion is not warranted or exceptable if not agreeable or so it seems sometimes. Having said that I agree with your HD prospective. Many in acting and T.V. mentioned themselves the horror they felt of all the wrinkles being exposed!:lol: But with regard to the looks of Sela I RESPECTFULLY disagree.:) I thought Stella was a joy to behold as well, but she is several years younger and Sela IMO looks good for her age. The extent of that decision is in the eye of the beholder and if you dont feel she is as attractive as others may, well good for you and your honesty:) after all this is an opinion forum is it not?

5. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Jo was great again last night. I thought she was great in the interrogation scene at the beginning. I really like that this character can be really serious and down to business but also be really fun like she was in other parts of the episode. And I got my Sid scene :thumbsup:. It was funny when she said so "female". I don't know what exactly is going on with Sid though. Is he still married?

It's cool that we got an explanation as to why she left Washington. Granted it was a little too scripted but it was nice to hear what happened and that it has her now struggling with trust issues. I didn't think we'd get that explanation so soon into the season so that was a nice surprise.

I know it's been mentioned before but I really like her human behavior angle. It really does bring something different to CSI NY.

Oh and Sela is beautiful HD or no HD. That's all I have to say about that.

6. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

Quoted: *
    I totally agree with you!:thumbsup: The problem is if your opinion is unpopular or disagreeable be ready for the on slaught of attack because your opinion is not warranted or exceptable if not agreeable or so it seems sometimes. Having said that I agree with your HD prospective. Many in acting and T.V. mentioned themselves the horror they felt of all the wrinkles being exposed!:lol: But with regard to the looks of Sela I RESPECTFULLY disagree.:) I thought Stella was a joy to behold as well, but she is several years younger and Sela IMO looks good for her age. The extent of that decision is in the eye of the beholder and if you dont feel she is as attractive as others may, well good for you and your honesty:) after all this is an opinion forum is it not?* end of quote:

Thank you , my honesty and I appreciate expressing ourselves in the forum!

It's fine and people have been respectfully agreeing to disagree with me. I was not aware that Melina was younger but it's not a age bias for me. You see, as to my views on Ms. Ward, age doesn't really matter; as I said, I had seen her in the movie 54 and that was many, many, many years ago. I saw the movie in a theatre since I was so eager to hear the disco sounds of the 70s that I grew up with. So I saw her there when she was a much younger person on the big wide screen. The repulsion factor practically lurched in my throat- I've never forgotten it! So it's not age bias in any way- it's a matter of what pleases the eye, for me she didn't and she still does not. The problem is she's a part of the show and she's been front and center for these beginning episodes.

She is going to be obviously front and center as part of the main cast and I'll have to work a way around ignoring her (I'm trying closing my eyes and listening or looking at the other team member she's talking to instead of her). I'm sure I'll find a way and still be able to watch NY. Glad to get more insight on what HD does to certain people. It was a pleasure to share as always.

Btw I think Danny and Lindsay work so well together I like how they mix family issues into their work; they are so believable as a working married couple (and cute too!) :)

7. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Your quite welcome!:thumbsup:
    Melina I believe is several years younger...your poor throat:lol:
    Makes it difficult to watch huh!

EEEGADS! You AND my sister!!:lol: I'll have to work on that!:lol:

8. electra

electra Pathologist

Glad to see that Jo can bring to the team the human behavior angle. Mac is one of my favorites but he needs someone that challenges him.I have only watched one episode so it's not so much that I can say but IMO she is funny,smart and has chemistry with the team.So far so good.

9. PerfectAnomaly

I just love how Jo teases Adam. It's so cute and Adam's response is always hilarious.

I also like how we're finding out about the character's backstory. It feels orgainc within each episode which is hard to do when introducing a new character into an established show. I'm always eager to learn the next piece of information about her because it always puts her actions and behavior in context, which is another thing that is hard. I give Sela and TPTB equal props because integrating a new character into a show when they are the replacement for a character who was liked is extremely hard and both the writing and the acting have made Jo a joy to watch and a wonderful addition to the cast.

ETA: I also really like how they're buidling the Jo/Mac dynamic. They seem to have a mutual respect for one another even if there are some adversarial moments. In that sense the relationship is very similar to the one Mac had with Stella. I like that continuity that he'd have the same professional relationship with his new second in command as he did with his former second in command.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  10. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Yeah I really liked how that scene between Mac and Jo was done. She explained her actions and Mac didn't throw a fit or anything he just told her that she didn't need to worry. It's really great that we see that respect between them and of course it also help that Gary and Sela have great onscreen chemistry (and I don't mean that necessarily as romantic between Jo and Mac) but just that they really work great together.

I am really looking forward to meeting her ex :)

11. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Sorry I might be late but I think Sela is gorgeous HD or not. Look at my signature. It's a screenshot in HD. It might be edited but for me she's more beautiful in actual videos. I'm not distracted by her at all. She's very appealing to my eyes. :D

Not related to HD but her acting is great. She's good at portraying both the fun and serious sides of Jo. I'm looking forward to more serious scenes of hers. Of course, I also want her joyful side present whenever necessary.

12. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

The way she balances out seriousness and fun is one of the things that I like most about the character. I liked the interrogation scene she had on the last episode because she was all business but with a spark of her personality with "I hate math". I thought that was a very well done scene. Plus when she teases people it's just so much fun to watch :lol:.

13. PerfectAnomaly

14. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Thanks for posting the interview GreatPumkin!!

15. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I must be in the minority here....I didn't like her character at all....now I am a few episodes behind (they are on my DVR) so I will need to watch more before I can totally decide.