Episode 9x01 - "Fallen" ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Oct 1, 2010.

1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I share those same doubts, Finch. Returning to core characters would mean getting rid of Walter too, right?

2. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

No Eric can't be the Hulkster. Otherwise, he would have stood right back up after he got shot, "Hulked up" and took the guy who shot him down. Then afterwards, he would use the word "brother" everytime he spoke to someone:)

Different people have different ways to honour those who have departed. The game was fitting as it was something Jesse used to do.

I thought it was a good episode. I had to admit I was on the edge of my seat just wondering what that Evil prof was going to do. I was bummed out seeing Jesse die and the end song made it even more sadder for me :confused:

If you are a bad guy there are two people who should never laugh at you or your in trouble: Batman and Horatio :lol:

I don't know if anyone noticed this but in the end when the professor was being taken away, it looked like he was being dragged away because he was knocked out and at the same time Frank was putting his jacket on. For some reason, I just got this impression that Frank gave the guy a few lumps before taking him in. Anyone else notice this or was I just seeing things.

3. Half

Half CSI Level Two

You know, I thought I saw something like that, but I was kind of confused about why that would be so I mostly just ignored it. :lol:

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

The way Jesse died when everyone else survived was so far-fetched. They should have just said he had asthma or something and that the lack of oxygen killed him due to the asthma. That at least would have been more plausible. :lol:

5. Anni Grey

Anni Grey Coroner

At the risk of repeating pretty much everything everyone else has said , it was a crappy way to send off Jesse. Seriously, his arrival in season eight infused the show with a bit of hope- all that talk of team and GASP! teamwork... Now is circumvented by the Eric and Horatio show ( notice how the headliner is now none other than the attack dog de jour Delko). It's not as if I hate Eric Delko, I just don't like him much, especially since he's become such a deranged interrogator. The earlier seasons have been much nicer to Delko. Perhaps, his storyline has played out...

Overall, I did like the episode. There were times that it lagged and my attention was focused somewhere else, but there were some seriously great moments:

- H's emotional side breaking through the dense stoic wall it's been hiding behind ...oh since...season five

- Walter's emotional send off both in the morgue and on the court

- Travers!

- The double cross of evil prof's woman. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned:D

-NATALIA! She was awesome in this ep. I want more...

-Death Cab for Cutie I've always loved this song, and it struck me for a second when I placed where I've heard it before in this show...It was fitting, more so than The Who as the camera stayed on Jesse's dead face...

And then there were the bad ones :

-Eric's walk to the elevator with Calleigh in his arms- seriously...it took the lab seconds to fall down

-Eric falling on top of Calleigh. Yikes for sure...

- the mastermind evil professor.

-All the perceived abuse by the cops in this ep . I can understand that in the pursuit of the one who started this mess time is paramount, but the emotions were running high, leading to expressing them perhaps in the wrong manner (ie Horatio choking the janitor dude). As much as I love the emotion from H...but I guess it's a double edged sword.

For the most part, I liked the ep. I liked the fact that the team ideal is still in play. If they can just mix it up a bit with Horatio and Eric, there could be a road of hope to walk down... Notice I said...could.

What happens next , remains to be seen....

6. electra

electra Pathologist

Like some of you have mentioned the episode was way better then I was expecting.I was curious until the end about the final plot of the evil professor,the team moments were a nice touch and I like Horatio and Eric together.One of the best premieres in a long time,IMO.

Not sure what to think about Jesse.I never cared too much either way but his death gave the team a chance to reconnect.I really liked the basketball game at the end and the team working together,especially Eric and Ryan.I will give a strong A to this episode.:thumbsup:

7. Yoshi

Yoshi Basement Moderator Moderator

There was me thinking it was because Ugly Betty got cancelled :shifty: ;)

8. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

If they ever had a special on home video, they could release the CSI:Miami "Whacked off character write offs" trilogy which would include Lost Son, Time Bomb and Fallen

Kidding aside, I assumed that Jesse died because he took the worse of the gas because he was in a more closed environment but I guess I'm wrong

Good to see I'm not the only one who noticed it. The evil side of me wouldn't blame Frank but the good side says it wouldn't be right

9. hiphuggerslove

hiphuggerslove Rookie

I agree with you on this one:)

10. GregNickRyanFan

Not to mention the way they wrote Cooper out of the show lol.

Actually, I'm glad you said that because it reminded me that they made a point of showing that Jesse fell pretty much right beside a vent in the floor... and with the gas coming from the vents and him being so close to it, that could have made it much more serious.

11. greatfan

greatfan Captain

That was shown more than once. I was surprised nothing was said about it being a big factor in his death.That he died from a head injury made less sense to me.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  12. ECRocks

ECRocks Witness

I just saw the ending again END THERE IS A BIG WOLVISTA HUG <3 I loved the epi as I mentioned earlier but I needed to share this info .. xD

13. GregNickRyanFan

The hug was cute. I like Ryan and Nat's platonic/friendly chemistry. Ryan last season seemed very brotherly in his concern over Nat's ear issues. It was sweet. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  14. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

I haven't ventured outside of "Shipper Central" on this forum for quite awhile, but I wanted to pop into this thread to say how excited I am that the new season is finally underway! I enjoyed "Fallen" and found it to be a very promising start to Season 9. The high-points for me were:

• The strong team dynamics. It was great to see the team really collaborating and problem-solving together. I suppose if there was any good that came out of Jesse's death, Starling and his sinister plot, it was they brought out the best in the CSIM team. I loved the basketball scene at the end, where everyone was hanging out together and playing in remembrance of Jesse. Hopefully, this first episode set the tone for the team dynamics that we'll see for the rest of the season.:beer:
    • Horatio & Eric working together. This is by far my favorite non-romantic pairing on the show. :bolian: I just love it when H. takes Eric under his wing and they do their awesome crime-fighting and case-solving together! The surrogate-father/son (or big/little brother) dynamic between these 2 is always engaging to watch. I also liked the Eric/Ryan scenes as well.
    • Horatio's intensity. David really brought his "A" game last night for Horatio's scenes. I always like me some angry/intense Horatio, and he was out in full-force last night, showing the bad guys who's boss.:cool:
    • Nice moments for the secondary castmembers. Everyone had a chance to shine in last night's premiere. Good to see Eva/Natalia, Rex/Frank and Omar/Walter getting to flex their acting chops a bit.
    • Travers quoting Lord Byron. Golden!:lol:
    • Adam Rodriguez back in the opening credits! It was wonderful to see Adam's name back in the opening credits together with the principal castmembers, where he belongs. :thumbsup: I'm so glad he's back full-time, as the show just wasn't the same without him (and not in a good way!;)).

My only minor quibble with last night's eppy was that I would've liked a more thorough explanation about exactly how Jesse died. :confused: Tom gave sort of a general theory at the preliminary autopsy, but it was never discussed in more detail. I know that it's technically possible for someone to die from hitting their head. But it would have been nice to have a more detailed explanation as to why Jesse's head trauma (together with the poison gas) caused his death in this case, while someone else might have just had a severe concussion and a temporary case of halon poisoning. I'm going to re-watch this episode to make sure, but I don't think we were ever clearly shown what exactly Jesse hit his head against (edge of a table, the floor, etc.). I think the writers probably just chose to take the easy way out here rather than delving deeper.

Other than this one issue, I found the episode to be a strong one overall, and I hope the show sustains this level of work throughout this season.:)

15. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

WOW:wtf: I just watched this, and talk about intense. From the beginning till the end. dynamite episode. I cried when Walter was talking to Jesse on the table. So heart-wrenching. And Eric rushed right over to Calleigh, and was hallucinating a bit, trying to revive her, and Horatio came on the scene. I guess everyone knew it would be Jesse, right? So that creep-show's assistant was his co-partner in this horrible gas poisoning? How they found out, was incredible. And the end when Calleigh was dressing him and then they all went to play basketball, and of course Horatio shot one in the hoop. so enchanting I cried again. They were all good in this premiere~