Grade 'Unfriendly Chat'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Oct 1, 2010.

?

How would you grade Unfriendly Chat?

1. A+

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  2. A

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. B+

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Agreed on both points. :lol:

2. CSINYADDICT99

CSINYADDICT99 Hit and Run

I loved this whole ep. The convienence and obvious stunt man did annoy me but I am so glad for an Adam centric episode.
    I am totally confused about lucy's age *mumbles whilst thinking to self* 'born end of season five ish ... One month later season 6 starts ... That lasts their time about five months ... Season seven starts 4 months later ... So she should be ... Almost ONE! Not three - four!!!
    I liked danny and sheldon trying to cheer Adam up but they could've been more sensitive about it.
    I liked he fight scene but I think it would have been better if it was more Adam sitting there gun to his head flack and mac(hehe) show up bad guy says 'stop or I'll shoot' then mac shoots. I wouldve liked that.
    Adam deserved suspension at the end and I'm glad mac didn't enjoy shouting at him. But I agree Lindsey so shouldve got more for what she did season four.
    I'm liking jo alot more this ep but does she have to be an expert on everything?
    I loved the line 'you don't hav kids do you?' from the kid doing his homework.
    I love that mac is smiling more and I think he and jo have great chemistry.
    Looking forward to next ep!

3. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I quite enjoyed the episode and I gave it an A. It was indeed better than last week's show. Adam is my second favorite, so I was glad that he got some face time. I think the case was good and had several layers, which is nice.

I still really dislike Jo and her "observations" irk me. It seems like she wants to one-up everyone whose worked there for years. I do realize my distaste is augmented by the fact I don't like Sela. Regardless, it is something I have to get used to her in season 7.

Oh, but I really enjoyed Mac in this episode ;) And the scene where he was talking to the kid doing his homework. Totally loved that! I am glad that they only showed Mac tearing Adam a new one, rather than having to listen to that convo. We all can agree Adam was wrong, but I can see why he did that. As a side note, Gary looked mighty fine in that episode, so my eyes were glued to the screen. Love when he wears maroon. His eyes just sparkled.

4. Fwuzzfwuzz

Fwuzzfwuzz Hit and Run

I really liked this episode, mainly beause I've been moaning and begging for an adam episode for ages. AJ is such a good crier, he really draws you in.

I like the story and me and my sister were appopriately jealous of just how pretty the starting girl was. I felt that flack was just an extra sometimes. There were times he barely talked. Me and my sister really wanted a scene with Flack and Adam, but oh well.

What bother me and bothered my sister a lot more (who really doesn't watch CSI) is Jo. I understand introducing a new character is hard but that doesn't mean you leave the other characters just sitting around. Adam barely knows Jo but they insisted on her being the one in all his scenes when I'd rather have maybe one of the regulars with an established background with each other. Someone who knows Adam and they can talk it out.

She's comes off as pushy, and suprememly better than everyone else. I'd like it infinitely better if they slowly bring her in and not suffocate us with it.

Back to the episode, Adam hacking into the database was risky but you know he was going to do it no matter what. I also agree he deserved to be suspended but I'd rather they maybe had a cute hospital scene or someone caring about him. I think this is where I missed stella the most, she was alway a great comforter for adam when he got hurt.

I agree Danny and Hawkes were a little insensitive but it was nice to see the camaderie when we barely saw it in this episode!

I hope to see more development of Adam, and a little less Jo-is-a-goddess.

Give this a B+

5. Natasha Romanoff

Natasha Romanoff Police Officer

I thought that was weird too, I mean she can't be any older than 2 at the most. I don't know how old kids are when they go to Pre-school in the US cause I know they don't start proper school till about 7 whereas here we start at 4. But in the UK kids start play school about 3 I think sometimes at 2. But that was a bit weird, would play school age kids really have computers lol.

I've just finished watching this episode and I gotta say I loved it. I'm liking S7 so far. And though I do miss Stella and I'm still not quite sure whether I'm a Sela fan I am liking Jo a lot more then I thought I would, I think she's working well and she seems to have fit in well. I liked this episode though and I liked that it was Adam centric, it was good to see Adam in a more central role, and I loved the chat thing and when Mac and Jo both go on it and the end made me laugh.

I love the song that Sass was playing at the beginning, I've downloaded it from iTunes and although this one has singing I like it. Got it on repeat right now.

6. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

^I don't think 7 is the age kids go to proper school in most states. Here it's 2 years earlier than that. In the US pre-school is normally two classes - 3-year olds & 4-year olds, then when the child turns 5 they go to Kindergarten, age 6 they start 1st grade and upwards to 12th grade. However, if a parent doesn't think their child is mature enough to start Kindergarden at 5 then they can wait a year and enroll the child the following year.

Although pre-school isn't required, it's not run by the state or anything. The pre-school I went to was at a Methodist Church and it was like only two days a week or something I think.

7. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

I enjoyed watching the episode, but when it was over I sure found a lot a inconsistencies.

The not so good:

1. Adam ran down the stairs to catch Mac in the garage. From the 35th floor, the elevator would have been faster. The phone would have been even more faster. Dumb.

2. Going from a picture of a guy in a ski mask (which is usually pretty thick and hides the shape of your face) to a computer guesstimate of the guy that turns out to be almost a complete match is incredibly unrealistic.

3. The FBI would never share files of an ongoing case with the NYPD that easily, even though Jo has connections.

4. Mac was in the finance guy's office when he started calling Adam to warn him. He was in his car, driving, already wearing a vest, before the call connected. WTF???:wtf: And he got there in a couple of minutes. (And wouldn't an NYPD garage have some sort of security? And how did the bad guy, Garcia, know that Adam would be there? Most New Yorkers don't have cars and if they do they usually don't drive them to work. Totally illogical.)

The good:

1. It was great having the focus of the story on Adam. It's been a while.

2. Mac helping the kid about the fireflies was sweet.

3. Jo telling the victim's boyfriend "You're kinda screwed," was interesting. She said the same thing in the last episode. Is this going to be her catch phrase?

4. Danny and Sheldon teasing Adam in the locker room about the fluorescent light by dueling with imaginary light sabers was cute. (But given how sloppy TPTB have made Adam it's extremely unlikely that his locker would be that neat.)

I never used to watch tv with a critical eye until I started reading this site. Now I'm always seeing the glitches. You guys have wrecked it for me.;)

8. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

I enjoyed CSI:NY last night. It didn't blow my socks off, and it was badly, badly outshone by the superlative, vastly more authentic episode of Blue Bloods that followed it, but it kept me engaged and had an early-season 2 vibe. The cast has clearly been rejuvenated by the addition of Sela ward. Everyone had a spring in their step, and even the writers were clearly trying to up their game. The episode wasn't perfect, but it was light-years ahead of nearly anything S6 had to offer(I say nearly because "Cuckoo's Nest was the sole standout of that dismal, wet fart of TV mediocrity).

I like Adam. He's the human side of the show, the warmth to offset the cold science of murder investigations. That humanity is essential and wonderful and should be embraced and acknowledged, if for no other reason than to remind viewers that the victims were, in fact, more than props around which Super!Mac and his cadre of tweezer-wielding sidekicks hunch and peer and poke. Adam balances Mac's cold detachment, and that balance was clearly on display here.

It was, however, a bit overdone. Not much, and only briefly, but long enough to jar my suspension of disbelief. His panic and horror at seeing Suss strangled? Pitch-perfect. His numb shock? On point. His manic desire to help the investigation, even by illegal means? Perfectly credible. I even bought it when the normally docile lab tech snapped and clouted the killer in the neck with a fluorescent tube light. When your friends are in danger and you've been beaten and nearly crushed by a car, normal behavior patterns no longer apply. Were I in those circumstances, I might go Jedi, too(or Panthro in his badass Thundertank, yo).

But then, Adam said, "I maybe even fell in love a little." FWOOOOOOOOOOOOOT. That was the sound of my suspension of disbelief collapsing like a traumatized souffle. The writers just couldn't resist the chance to make like a brown-bag lunch and break out the ham and cheese. It was a terrible, overripe line, one that should have been rethought or omitted altogether.

Another small misstep came in the scene where Garcia tried to crush Adam's head with the car. Am I supposed to believe that Adam burrowed so deeply beneath the mound of trash bags that the car missed him entirely? Am I further supposed to believe that in the three seconds it took Garcia to get out of the car and inspect his handiwork, Adam, who's hardly the buffest dog in the NY pound, covered in trash bags, managed to soundlessly evade his attacker, clamber onto the nearby dumpster, and dive off?

Well, I don't. Even if he did morph into Mole Man and tunnel under the dune of garbage, he should've made noise. And why did Garcia hesitate and choose to shoot the oncomming SUV rather than shoot Adam. He could have emptied those three shots into Adam's head and chest instead of the bulletproof windshield.

Adam's unexpected fighting skills surprised me at first, but if his father really were a bully, then it stands to reason that he learned to defend himself early on.

Other than those quibbles--and the recommended daily allowance of Mactimony(Sure, Mac. Like you've never disobeyed a direct order before. Except for when it suits or you disagree with it.)--at the end, it was a solid episode. Mac "helping" the kid with his homework was hilarious, and while I think Jo is still a little too perfect and intuitive and awesome, she's absolutely effervescent and has glorious chemistry with Mac. If I didn't know better, I'd say she was the one with whom he'd shared a friendship of long standing and not Stella, who was usually too absorbed in her own affairs and point of view to give much thought to others. Except for Lindsay, of course, because Lindsay is special.

So is Lucy, apparently, because at seventeen months, she's in preschool and knows how to operate Lindsay's IPhone better than Lindsay.

I knew Lindsay was dumber than a box of hammers.

B

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I gave this episode another solid B. I'll start off with what I said last night:

I finally watched the whole thing. I agree with the people who said it was just too easy and convienent to find the vic. I also agree that Adam saying he fell "in love" with the vic. was ridiculous. Getting turned on by a hot chick in a half shirt and short shorts is not love. Of course this is the same show that wants me to believe that Danny and Lindsay are "in love" so they obviously have a different definition of the word than I do.

Aside from that stupid line Adam and AJ were really great in this episode. Putting some focus on Adam from time to time is a good move, IMO. He's arguably one of the most interesting characters on the show.

I'm absolutely loving Jo's use of the psychological aspects of detective work to get answers. She is just awesome and I love the new dynamic she brings to the team. She and Flack make a good interrogation team. She was great with Adam both in getting him to remember the details and also when she found out he had hacked the computer. She and Mac have wonderful chemistry and the end was cute and flirty. I know I said the end annoyed me, but I was taking it out of context. Adam didn't get reamed for doing the chat thingie so this time I could enjoy the great chemistry and not think they were being hypocritical.

I thought the scenes with the soldier and Jo and the kid with Mac were nice.

Danny and Lindsay's questioning scene lacked flow and chemistry. Usually having people tag team a questioning is entertaining, but with those two not so much. And stop pairing them up all the time. They're married, not conjoined twins.

I get so bored with all of the technology used on this show. It's just ridiculous how easy they can find answers.

10. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

This is why I gave the episode a C. The beginning just had me going :rolleyes: with all the conveniences.

Later though it did get better. Jo/Flack and Jo/Mac both make great duos. I loved the end with Mac and Jo finding each other in the site, thought it was quite funny. Also liked Danny and Sheldon trying to cheer Adam up. It was an ok episode and Sela has really brought something fresh and new to the show.

11. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I really liked this episode. Any time they deal with cyberspace I get fascinated so this was enjoyable. The girl being in NYC when the website was worldwide was a bit predictable because that is where they have jurisdiction so I had to be okay with it. Adam did well with the material.

Danny and Lindsay's question and answer session with the guy in the auditorium was a bit rushed. They don't have the rhythm that Danny and Flack do but it was nice to see Lindsay out of the lab doing something other than demonstrations.

As for Lucy's age, I'm wondering if they are trying to get her to an age that they can maintain for a season or two so they don't have to change child actors for a while. I, personally, wouldn't let my kids anywhere near an iPhone at that age because it would probably go either in the toilet or out the window and those are expensive!

As for Lindsay not getting lectured by Mac when she left evidence out, she was confronted by Mac and lectured herself. He never got a chance. She apologized and told him she had been wrong to assume Danny would take care of it, that it was her responsibility and the entire case could have been compromised, and that getting involved with a co-worker was stupid and she shouldn't have done it and it wouldn't happen again. I think there is a difference between careless and defiant. Whereas Lindsay was careless, what Adam did was in defiance to a direct order from Mac, taking matters into his own hands, in a way that was illegal and could get him arrested, as well as compromise the case. And it wasn't the first time he had done something like this. He withheld important information from Mac about Flack's sister at the start of S4 and took it outside the department before letting Mac know about it. What he did deserved suspension.

Now, I love Adam, and like that he's willing to put himself on the line like that, but he has to learn to respect the boundries Mac has in place because they keep him from getting into trouble like he has not imagined. Just because he can do it doesn't mean that he should.

Also, it did sound a bit corny that he fell in love a little bit with the girl but he's so open emotionally that it's just cute to watch him. I bet he falls in love about three times a week!

I also enjoyed his scenes with Jo. I love how they are developing her relationship with Adam. They seem to be establishing her with one of her team members at a time. I can't wait to see what she does with Lindsay.
    I wonder how hard they will butt heads!

As a final note, Sela Ward is great, great, great!!!!! Love her more each week and am sure that moving Stella on and bringing in someone new was the right thing for the show, regardless of how it happened.

Now, everyone look over there-->-->-->-->
    *runs for cover and hides*

12. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

I pretty much liked this episode. Although, it irked me a bit that Adam was taking the death of Sass as a personal loss. I know he witnessed it, but he really didn't know who she was. I didn't expect him to blow it off, but he was moping around just a little too much. I thought it was funny when Jo was talking to the soldier in chat and was carrying the laptop to get a view of the city. While she was carrying the laptop, he was getting a good look at her chest. Lucy is in preschool already? I'm guessing they're going to have her graduating high school and dating Jo's son next year.

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

My cousin's little boy is about that age and he gets ahold of his mom's phone and ends up dialing family members (its probably more like him hitting a button that dials the most recent number called). :lol: They should probably put a lock on the phone when they're not using it.

Adam needs to get some hacking lessons from Garcia (Criminal Minds)... cause seriously, she probably knows a way to hack into a site without being detected (or at least has probably perfected that skill since she originally got caught and was offered a job at the FBI lol). :lol:

14. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Great episode! This episode is definitely way better than most of season 6. So far, this season is showing an improvement from last year. I think it's a blessing in disguise that Melina left. The timing is perfect. Don't get me wrong, I really like Melina/Stella. It's just that the show needs to reinvigorate itself. At least no one was fired/left like in CSI and CM. My comments about some issues:

Jo being an expert on everything - I don't mind. She's an ex-FBI agent so expect her to be one-step higher than CSIs in some aspect. I like that she's bringing in new techniques and knowledge to the team. I like how she made Adam remember what happened by bringing in his past.

Too many convenience - I agree but I enjoyed it. The episode looked somehow fast-paced which I missed a lot in season 6.

Lucy in pre-school - what can I say? The writer of this episode also wrote Lat/Long where three different timelines exist - Haylen's, Angell's and Lucy's.

Flack/Jo - more!!! :D but not Adam/Stella 2 please! I think one reason Melina left because she was disgusted that Stella slept with Adam.

The case - pretty good. I like computer related crimes. They are interesting.

Grade - A, interesting case, great acting especially from AJ who's the center of the episode, fun chatacter moments, no dull moments, nothing annoyed me much.

15. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Not really an Adam fan, but I enjoyed this episode in spite of its focus. It was a pleasant surprize to actually see somebody face the consequences of their actions (Adam's illegal hacking) rather than them getting a pat on the head or it being brushed under the carpet *cough*Danny's badge*cough*. Although it would have been nice to have had some comment made on the inappropriateness of playing the chatroulette on office equipment. Then again since both Jo and Mac were doing it as well, it would have been a bit hypocritical.

Like Jo & Flack and if TPTB are going with pairing her up with somebody, I'd much rather it be Flack than have them go with the lead man/lead woman cliche.