Grade 'The 34th Floor'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 24, 2010.

?

How would you grade The 34th Floor?

1. A+

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. A

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. A-

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. B+

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

hmm yeah, i'd forgotten that part. you have a point :)

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I don't see it as Anna "improving." It's exactly what you mention. The chick playing the shrink would've made me look good playing Lindsay; and Anna hasn't been given anything meaty since Lindsay threw her horrible temper tantrum at Danny for grieving the loss of Ruben. IMO, TPTB just happened to write a story where Anna's wooden acting and blank expressions just happened to fit what Lindsay was supposed to be feeling and not Anna getting anything "right" as far as the acting goes.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  3. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

My guess is that the police department saw it as a chance for some good PR. A young mother, defending her family against a violent criminal. It's a perfect PR opportunity. So they put her in her dress blues, hand out a medal. Lot's of pictures in the paper and hopefully nobody will look too closely at the circumstances which led to the violent criminal being on the streets in the first place.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Oddly enough I didn't even notice anyone's comments about her aside from the scene with Adam and Danny where Adam said she gives him the creeps or whatever it was he said. :lol:

That line seemed really odd to me too, though I forgot about it until you mentioned it.

Yes, survivor would have been a much better word. Totally agree with you on that point.

LOL! I thought that was bad too. I kept thinking "why doesn't he just say Lindsay Messer cause the other is just a big heeping mouthful when you have to add "officer" or "detective" or whatever her title was lol.

You know, that reminds me of something I heard in a sermon one time (back when I was a teen and used to still go to church). The preacher said something along the lines of if a child is hurt and in the hospital, it's the mother who is in there holding the kid's hand being strong for them and the father that's outside the room in tears. I think that kind of is what the deal was in a way with Danny and Lindsay too.

Yeah, that kind of bothered me too. I mean, if it had been some teenage kid that she'd had to shoot, then I'd expect her to have issues with it... not just because it's a kid, but because she's a mother... and having to shoot another mother's child, that would cause all kinds of issues for practically anyone. But Shane was an adult, well over his teenage years and the psycho had her baby. Was this her first time killing someone though? Because if it was, I can understand why it was mandatory for her to go to counseling cause I think first kills for cops always require mandatory counseling, just in case. But if she'd killed someone before then I don't understand the need for it. I thought she had killed someone before on the job, but I'm not sure. Even if it was mandatory, once they saw she was okay they should have just left her alone about it. I loved when Lindsay told the therapist that she was only there because it was mandatory and that the rest of her life was none of her damn business. :lol:

Good point. The good PR angle makes the most sense. I still have to LOL at the fact that the entire lab was shut down for the ceremony though. Weird. :lol:

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yeah, i was watching it again (on a real screen!) this evening and i'd forgotten that line/bit of dialogue. it made me cringe a little bit. but y'know, whatever, i don't think it ruined the ep. i don't think that scene was ever going to be the most popular so just making that scene a bit wonky didn't affect the rest of the ep for me.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  6. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

I did remember that line too however, as Lisa, it wasn't a big bug and i did enjoy the episode

7. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

8. PerfectAnomaly

I just watched the episode again with my parents and my step-dad said, "I don't think the NYPD are supposed to shoot someone if they're holding a baby, let alone get a medal for it." :guffaw:

9. MS1213

MS1213 Hit and Run

Apparently they train them for those types of situations.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/03/police-shoot-suspect-in-englewood.html

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  10. PerfectAnomaly

I stand corrected. I still think getting the medal was ridiculous, even if it was nothing but a PR stunt.

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I think it would have been interesting if they actually acknowledged on the show that it was a PR thing (and let that be a source of discussion/drama between characters). As it is, I think the show expects you to believe she got the medal because she really deserved it. Hmm...

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

haha, me too :D

yeah, i agree, and i think it would probably lead into the laroquette arc quite nicely too - it sounds as though that's going to be along the lines of mac/sinclair stories, especially as a press conference looks to be one of the main sticking points - i think a little pre-story about the pr of the nypd could've worked quite well in tying in with that.

13. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

That was an A for me!!
    That was possibly CSI:NY's best season premiere ever!!:thumbsup:
    I loved Jo and I think Sela Ward gave a great preformance in her first episode.Her interactions with the rest of the team were nice especially with Mac and Adam.:)She seems to bond with everyone which makes me happy.

The medal scenes weren't so bad after all because they were very brief which was a good thing.I also loved Stella's mention in the episode although I expected Mac to say something about her.:(

The case was also interesting although it could have been better.
    But the best thing about the episode was the fact that the screentime was evenly handled.Everyone had their moments with lots of Adam!!!:guffaw:

14. csinynut

csinynut Hit and Run

Gave it an A-. Only for the overuse of slow motion in the first ten minutes. i mean come on.

I tought it was a great beginning to the season. The entire Shane Casey was handled quickly and to the point. They did not dwell on it too much, which was fine with me. Anna was fine. The scene on the roof with Danny (where he says you're my hero) felt a bit awkward. Dont know why, it just did to me.

The case was weak, but obviously the focus was on Jo Danville. Sela Ward is a breath of fresh air. Humor, wit, beauty, i think i'm gonna love that character. Altho i though her exchange with Adam felt forced and not really funny.

God, i love her voice.

I did miss Stella a bit, especially with the frame thingy she sent to Lindsay which i tought felt like it was done because they had to do something, not because they felt they had to pay hommage to a character that's been there since the beginning. It felt kind of cheap. On the other hand this is only the first episode of the season, maybe they'll acknowledge her in another way.

15. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Really enjoyed Jo. The only scene I did not like too much was the one with Adam. I thought it was a little too much toward the weird flirting side. Other than that I really like the character and her dynamic with everyone else.

Predictable case, so there wasn't much there.

Oh Flack.... Eddie is a handsome, very good looking guy so this haircut of his is really something to make him look so old and old-fashioned. I kept wondering were he left Danny Zuko and all his Grease buddies.