Stand Up To Cancer

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Destiny, May 20, 2010.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Stand Up To Cancer Fundraiser Returning in September

Stand Up To Cancer is returning to prime time after two years with a star-packed fundraiser hosted by the three network evening news anchors.

It will be simulcast commercial-free on ABC, CBS and NBC as well as on HBO, Discovery Health, E!, MLB Network and the Style Network on Friday, Sept. 10 at 8/7c. (More networks and cable channels are expected to join in.)

"Our goal with this telecast is to not only continue to raise funds to accelerate promising research, but also show viewers how their money and individual action will make — and have already made — a difference," said executive producer Laura Ziskin, herself a cancer survivor.

She also oversaw the September 2008 telecast that helped raise more than $100 million.

To show their commitment, anchors Katie Couric of the CBS Evening News, Diane Sawyer of ABC's World News and Brian Williams of NBC Nightly News agreed to announce the upcoming telecast during live appearances on their networks' respective morning shows Wednesday. They also got together last week to record a joint appearance about the encouraging progress of "dream teams" of researchers financed by Stand Up To Cancer.

Couric — who lost husband Jay Monahan to colon cancer 12 years ago — noted said "people of all ages are getting involved," adding: "Not only people who have cancer or who are dealing with it, but young people who want a cancer-free world in their future — we really think that's finally attainable."

"The broadcast is a way of saying, 'Together, we can do this,'" Sawyer said.

And Williams added: "We won the second World War, came back from that, and decided to go to the moon. We didn't really break a sweat. And when you think about it, think of all that energy and power we can unleash when we want to ..."

Like the 2008 broadcast, this year's telecast will feature live performances and appearances by TV, movie, music and sports stars. While the broadcast will honor those taken by the disease, it will focus on surviving cancer — on living a full life after being diagnosed with it. In the United States this year, 1.4 million people will be diagnosed with cancer.

2. Destiny

Source: Newswise (with some re-arranging so all the names appear in one long list by me.) "NOTE: This is going to be SUPER LONG."

Stand Up to Cancer Announces Full Lineup of Stars Uniting for the September 10th Broadcast

Newswise — The final remarkable lineup of actors, musicians, athletes and journalists participating in the Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) primetime roadblock television fundraising event (September 10, 2010, at 8PM EST & PST / 7PM CT). The Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) telecast will raise funds that will accelerate innovative cancer research. The live, one-hour fundraising event will be simulcast commercial-free on ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, Bio, Current TV, Discovery Health, E!, G4, HBO, HBO Latino, MLB Network, mun2, Showtime, Smithsonian Channel, The Style Network, TV One and VH1 and hosted by network news anchors Katie Couric, Diane Sawyer and Brian Williams. The broadcast will air in 195 countries, as well as on the Armed Forces Network.

As part of the campaign, viewers will also be able to make donations easily using Facebook Credits, Facebook’s virtual currency. People who would like to donate with Facebook Credits can go to Stand Up To Cancer's Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/su2c, where they can also share news of their donation with their friends. The SU2C broadcast, as well as the pre-show and extended play, will also be streamed live on the SU2C Facebook Page.

Participants in the September 10th special include:
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar,
    Tatyana Ali,
    Dave Annable,
    Christina Applegate,
    David Archuleta,
    Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day,
    Lance Armstrong,

Elizabeth Banks,
    Kathy Bates,
    Natasha Bedingfield,
    David Boreanaz,
    Sir Richard Branson,
    Abigail Breslin,

Michael Chiklis,
    George Clooney,
    Cindy Crawford,
    Marcia Cross,

Tim Daly,
    Baron Davis,
    Emily Deschanel,
    Neil Diamond,
    Fran Drescher,

Elizabeth Edwards,
    The Edge
    Idris Elba,

Donald Faison,
    Sally Field,
    Derek Fisher,

Delta Goodrem,
    Jennifer Grey,

Bill Hader,
    Michael C. Hall,
    Dorothy Hamill,
    Herbie Hancock,
    Mark Harmon,
    Tony Hawk,
    Anne Heche,
    Jon Heder,
    Marg Helgenberger,
    Cheryl Hines,
    Vanessa Hudgens,

Randy Jackson,
    Thomas Jane,
    Ken Jeong,
    Rashida Jones,
    Kathryn Joosten,

George Karl,
    Jaime King,
    Minka Kelly,
    Kris Kristofferson,

Lady Antebellum,
    Diane Lane,
    Dr. Jon LaPook,
    Leona Lewis,
    Laura Linney,
    Zachary Levi,
    Ray Liotta,
    Rob Lowe,

Seth MacFarlane,
    Marlee Matlin,
    Jason and Brandi Maxiell,
    Martina McBride,
    Dylan McDermott,
    Shareen Mitchell,
    Mandy Moore,
    Olivia Munn,

Aaron Neville,
    Lisa Niemi,

Apolo Anton Ohno,
    Kelly Osbourne,
    Dr. Mehmet Oz,

Gwyneth Paltrow,
    Jim Parsons,
    Matt Passmore,
    Aubrey Plaza,
    Dr. Drew Pinsky,
    Dr. Ana Maria Polo,

Yarel Ramos,
    Naya Rivera,
    Robin Roberts,
    Shaun Robinson,
    Seth Rogen,

Ryan Seacrest,
    Kyra Sedgwick,
    The Simpsons,
    Will Smith,
    Brenda Song,
    Dave Stewart
    Eric Stonestreet,
    Marcia Strassman,
    Alison Sweeney,

Maura Tierney,
    Sam Trammell,

Gabrielle Union,

Nia Vardalos,
    Sofia Vassilieva,
    Sofia Vergara,

Denzel Washington,
    Orianthi and Ann Wilson and Nancy Wilson of Heart,
    Marissa Jaret Winokur,
    Reese Witherspoon,
    Stevie Wonder,

Aaron Yoo,

Renée Zellweger
    Ethan Zohn.

Cat Deeley of FOX’s So You Think You Can Dance will host the pre-show promotion to kick off the evening as the celebrity phone bank opens at 7:30 PM EST / 4:30 PM PST. A 30-minute online “after hours” extended play featuring jams with musical guests Fitz and the Tantrums, Orianthi, Natasha Bedingfield and Heart will conclude the night’s events. The pre-show promotion and extended play will be featured on numerous online portals and destination sites (which will all also stream the one-hour special online) including: ABC, ABC News, AOL, Bing, CBS, CBS News, Crackle, Discovery Health, E! Online, FOX, G4, Hulu, Livestream, MLB Network, MSN, mun2, NBC, Style Network, TV Guide, TV One, Ustream, VEVO, VH1, Wonderwall.MSN.com, omg.yahoo.com and YouTube.

In addition, Stand Up To Cancer has once again joined forces with eBay Giving Works to offer incredible charity auction experience packages in film, television, music, Broadway and sports that will raise funds for innovative cancer research. Big ticket auctions currently up for bid include The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn set visit, Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark opening night package with Bono & The Edge, flight with Richard Branson, shooting hoops with NBA Star and more. The Stand Up To Cancer eBay Charity Auction opened September 7, 2010 at 7pm EST and will come to a close on September 17, 2010 at 7pm EST. Bidders can find an array of exciting auction packages and items to bid on with 100% of the proceeds going directly to Stand Up To Cancer. To bid visit www.ebay.com/standuptocancer

The broadcast is dedicated to the 12 million U.S. cancer survivors, illustrating how groundbreaking research can change the tide in the fight against the disease. Updates will be provided on the work of the five Stand Up To Cancer Dream Teams, and Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN’s Chief Medical Correspondent, will report on other new medical developments.

SU2C’s star-studded television special builds continuing public support and donations for cutting-edge cancer research that translates at a rapid pace from the laboratory to treatments and technologies benefitting patients. One-hundred percent of all donations received from the public will go directly to cancer research. Viewers will have the ability to donate via a dedicated phone line, the web, or through text.

The 2008 telecast helped raise over $100 million. To date, five multi-disciplinary “Dream Teams” of researchers from more than 50 institutions, as well as 13 young innovative scientists who are undertaking high-risk yet potentially high-reward projects have received SU2C funding. SU2C brings together these scientists from different disciplines across various institutions to work collaboratively, rather than competitively, at a critical time in the field of cancer research.

The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), which consists of more than 32,000 scientists engaged in the fight against cancer, is Stand Up To Cancer’s sole scientific partner. The AACR, the oldest and largest scientific organization in the world focusing on every aspect of high-quality, innovative cancer research from the bench to the bedside, is responsible for administering and managing the grants, and providing scientific oversight in conjunction with the SU2C Scientific Advisory Committee, led by Nobel Laureate Phillip A. Sharp, Ph.D., institute professor at the David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

About the Stand Up To Cancer Initiative
    Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) – a program of the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF), a 501(c)(3) charitable organization – raises funds to hasten the pace of groundbreaking translational research that can get new therapies to patients quickly and save lives. In the fall of 2007, a group of women who have been profoundly affected by cancer began working together to marshal the resources of the media and entertainment industries in the fight against it.

Stand Up To Cancer will return to primetime TV on September 10, 2010, at 8PM EST & PST / 7PM CT. The one-hour fundraising event will be simulcast live and commercial-free on ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, Bio, Current TV, Discovery Health, E!, G4, HBO, HBO Latino, MLB Network, mun2, Showtime, Smithsonian Channel, The Style Network, TV One and VH1.

The SU2C founding members include Laura Ziskin, executive producer of the Sept. 5, 2008 broadcast and the upcoming one, who is a cancer survivor; Sherry Lansing, chairperson of the Entertainment Industry Foundation’s Board of Directors and founder of the Sherry Lansing Foundation; EIF President and CEO Lisa Paulsen; Katie Couric; EIF Senior Vice President Kathleen Lobb; Rusty Robertson and Sue Schwartz of the Robertson Schwartz Agency; nonprofit executive Ellen Ziffren; and Noreen Fraser, founder of the Noreen Fraser Foundation (NFF) and a cancer survivor. SU2C was formally launched on May 27, 2008.

Major League Baseball was the founding donor to contribute to Stand Up To Cancer. Other major SU2C supporters include Sidney Kimmel, the country’s largest individual supporter of cancer research; Amgen, Bloomberg Philanthropies, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, The Gateway for Cancer Research Foundation, GlaxoSmithKline, Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), Wallis Annenberg & The Annenberg Foundation, Alliance for Global Good, Milken Family Foundation, Philips Electronics, Steve Tisch, The Island Def Jam Music Group, Comcast and many others. SU2C major media partners include AOL, Bonnier Corporation, Condé Nast Media Group, Costco Connections, eBay Inc., Facebook, Hearst Corporation, iTunes, MySpace, Rodale, Inc., Los Angeles Times, Martha Stewart Living, Meredith Corporation, Time Inc., Twitter, VEVO and YouTube.

About the Entertainment Industry Foundation
    Stand Up To Cancer is a program of the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF), the 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization that serves as the collective philanthropy for the television and film businesses. EIF has distributed hundreds of millions of dollars to support programs addressing critical health, education and social issues.

For more on Click Here To Go To The "Stand Up To Cancer Website

Mod Note: You are being asked if you want to quote any part of this to discuss or comment, please do but only those parts, but not this whole LOOOOng post in full just for a comment on one little part. Thank-You.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  3. Destiny

Also feel free to discuss the show, to discuss your own experience with cancer be it you or someone you know. You might have had it, known someone who had, had a scare, or known someone who had. This isn't just about the show in itself. It is also about the show raising money sure, but also opening a dialogue on the subject, experiences, and such.

4. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Things like this make me tear up. :(

My mom is a survivor, my grandmother wasn't. Neither was my husband's aunt who died of Breast Cancer.

It makes me feel warm and fuzzy (for lack of better words) to hear that celebrities are using their celebrity for good.

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I'll be watching this for sure, good cause, actually great cause. My beloved Uncle Gene [my moms brother] died of lung cancer. He was one of the lights of my life, and was always kind and wonderful to me and to everyone. A great listener and so receptive and always understood me, and never ever put me down about anything. He was in the Navy as a Chief Petty Officer, and when I was a kid took me for rides on his morotcycle. I adored him. So hopefully this will raise $$$ to help destroy this horrific disease! Fantastic lineup~

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  6. Destiny

My father is a survivor of colon cancer (caught at the very beginning stage), he also had a slight form of skin cancer a slight form being that they freeze the spots and they fall off, I have a cousin who survived a double show at breast cancer, my uncle passed way two years ago of pancreatic Cancer.

7. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Back in 2005 I was severely burned and ended up with third degree burns on my arms and shoulders. After several weeks of going in and out of the doctors, I was told that I would be at a very high risk of getting skin cancer. Well, I ended up getting burned again my freshmen and senior years of high school... thankfully to this day I am cancer free.

Tonight I donated a very small amount ($10.00). But the fact remains every little bit helps towards funding cancer research! Even if it's just a dollar you should go for it.

8. captaincock

captaincock Civilian

[SPAM REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
  9. Entropia

Entropia Victim

[SPAM REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
  10. Destiny

From Yahoo! News

Seacrest, others star in 'Stand Up To Cancer'

LOS ANGELES – Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen and Neil Diamond were among the more than 100 celebrities to appear on all four broadcast networks for the "Stand Up To Cancer" telethon.

Ryan Seacrest, Jay Leno and George Clooney also showed up to help raise money at the hourlong fundraiser that was simulcast commercial-free Friday night by ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, a number of cable channels and the Armed Forces Network.

The event was hosted by news anchors Diane Sawyer, Brian Williams and Katie Couric and produced by Film and TV producer Laura Ziskin, a cancer survivor.

Donations to the telecast will go to fund innovative cancer research. The first telethon, in 2008, helped raise more than $100 million. Numbers for the 2010 telethon were not immediately available.

11. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I watched it. Teared up, couldn't help myself...

Loved the Mama's who shaved their heads... I bawled the most there. And when Patrick Swayze's wife came out...

What a great event and quite the joint effort to end cancer. And it didn't hurt that Marg was there as well. :D

12. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I watched it as well, and will admit that I too, teared up. Such a great cause. My mother is a 25 year breast cancer survivor, an accomplishment in itself seeing they didn't have the technology back then like they do today. Sadly though, I lost my sister to a rare form of cancer back in 2005...she was only 34. But as she fought a losing battle, she taught me a number of life lessons. She taught me to have strength, courage and faith during your darkest of moments....that life is to short for petty differences. Make the most of the time you have. Lessons that were once taken for granted, now etched in the memory