The Last Movie You Saw - Thread 4

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, May 4, 2010.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Netflix's labels are screwy sometimes. Sometimes they'll say something about a character's occupation or something and it's completely inaccurate. It's like whomever makes the labels hasn't seen the movie lol. We've had a couple of labels that were inaccurate lol.

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Decided to run through a little old school "Jean-Claude Van Damme when he was still cute" movie marathon this week, and have so far made it through Universal Soldier, Lionheart and Kickboxer. (I'm working in reverse for the moment). All I can say is, as expected, the acting (not to mention the wardrobe! Ay carumba!) greatly decreases in quality as you move backward! :lol: One thing remains though: Van Damme was freaking ripped, and had (has?) probably the nicest male set of legs EVER. Egads.

Highlights:

Kickboxer- his brother looks like a horrible mullet wearing John Oates (Hall and Oates!) wannabe, but at least Van Damme a) does the splits and b) fights in a loin cloth in this one, which made it good enough for me! ;) (I actually found his "sensei" quite amusing in this one though, surprisingly).

Lionheart- better haircut and lots and lots of fighting... and Van Damme may be one of the few men I will allow to wear spandex (my gawd, the thighs on the dude! :eek: ) Slightly better acting, but it's still relative!

Universal Soldier- clearly a bigger budget, better supporting cast, and probably when Van Damme looks his hottest. This would probably be Van Damme's equivalent to Arnie's "Total Recall" in terms of acting level.

Anyway, if you're an action fan and enjoy the old school cheese factor, these movies are a good distraction.

[end drooling] ;)

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

We just watched Crash. Excellent movie with a lot of unexpected twists and great social commentary.

4. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

The last movie I saw was The Sorcerer's Apprentice. I thought it was a really great movie and I love how they incorporated some scenes from the Mickey Mouse version of The Sorcerer's Apprentice into the movie. I thought that was cute. :D Sure the ending of the movie was predictable, but it's Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer, so what's not to love? :p

5. Entropia

Entropia Victim

[SPAM REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
  6. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

GOING THE DISTANCE -A decent movie, nothing special but it made me laugh.:lol:

7. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

The Karate Kid with Jaden Smith. I actually like this one better than the original. Sorry to the old school fans. There's just more action, though I preferred "wax on, wax off" (Classic Daniel-san/Mr.Miyagi line right there!) over "jacket on, jacket off" or whatever. I like how both movies present the timelines, with Daniel's boy-meets-girl, California sun, and 1980s scenery and simplicity. And Dre's urban upbringing, more openness to the world in these modern times, which resembles the story in the original's part 2, and of course, the modern technology like step-dances. I also like the tracks on both movies, with "Moment Of Truth" in the original, and new stuff and hard rock music with Jaden's Karate Kid.:cool:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  8. BabaOReilly

I saw the new Resident Evil movie and it was pretty much on par with the others. If you liked the earlier movies, chances are you'll like this. Cool action, 2 dimensional characters and special effects pretty much sums it up. Still, if that's what I'm expecting going in, then I don't really have a problem with it. :)

9. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

From what I understand and have heard about this movie, it was originally going to be called "The Kung Fu Kid", but they decided to change it to "Karate Kid" to capitalize on the franchise even though its technically not a part of the franchise lol.

10. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

"HIGHER LEARNING" from 1995. I got this for $5 bucks at my local grocery store~it takes place at Columbus University!

A quick review~ "As powerful and provocative as they come"
    This moving and wonderfully entertaining film brilliantly blends romance, drama and social comment into a stunning tapestry you won't soon forget"
    Paul Wunder..WBAI!

It stars Kristy Swanson, Jennifer Connelly, Ice Cube Omar Epps [he's great] MIchael Rapaport & Laurence Fishburne as Professor Maurice Kepps, a Political Science Professor. He's fantastic as always, such a different role for him. He's from So. Africa and has an accent, and never misses a beat. He's very prestigious and helps one kid find his way in this college atmosphere. He's got a beard an Afro. and wears glasses. It goes from White Supremacy to blacks vs whites to gay and everything in between. Very interesting!

HIGHER LEARNING

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  11. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

Sadie Thompson- a silent movie from 1928 starring Gloria Swanson. i just watched this in my film class tonight and it is now one of my favorite movies i even ordered it off of amazon. i've only ever seen Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Boulevard" it was nice to see her when she was younger and less creepy lol. the story is so good and it pushed so many boundaries for back in the day. my professor for the class wrote and composed the music for this movie when it was originally being released on dvd, he did a great job on it. if anyone on here is a film buff try to get a copy of "Sadie Thompson" it is so brilliant.

12. BabaOReilly

Just watched "JCVD" and man, what a revelation! After all the cheeseball van Damme flicks I've been watching lately... he actually does just a fantastic job in this movie playing... himself! It's supposed to mirror reality, but with a bit of a twist. Seriously, this was a very cool movie. Watched it with subtitles even though I think there's an English version. I hate dubbing- you lose the nuance of the performance.

Anyway, totally recommend this original film. Very well done and very cool.

13. kaybee988

kaybee988 Witness

Easy A. Hilarious! :D

14. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I watched Easy A this weekend. It was absolutely hilarious. I was expecting it to be one of those movies where all the good bits are in the trailer, but that wasn't the case at all. I actually want to go back and watch it again :lol:

15. BabaOReilly

Jeeze, I forgot to mention that I also saw Easy E! And yes, it was awesome! I've had a weird crush on Stanley Tucci for years and he was totally awesome in this one. The whole cast was phenomenal, and I can't help but look at Emma Stone as what Lohan might have been if she hadn't gotten so messed up.

Fun story, awesome dialogue, great acting- a must see!