Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #20- "Save Me From Myself"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Dec 6, 2009.

1. KFK

KFK Witness

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #14- "Superman Tonight"

Drinks at the Diner- Nick's character was spot on in this story. I found the almost uncomfortable dialog between Nick and Tina very believable, one can imagine them almost squirming in their seats. The second last paragragh were Nick says “He was my friend” after Tina says she can't accept the check brought tears to my eyes. This was a well written story, and an enjoyable read.

Rescue- I have to agree with Speedy this story did bring to mind Nick talking about the pifflings.The backstory of Nick with his Grandfather was sweet, and the use of Greek nicknames a nice added touch.
    I wonder if Nick may see his rescuing the bird as a sort of payback for his own rescue...just a thought.

It Only Takes One- Too funny, and oh so true. I absolutely hate when a song gets stuck in my head...arrgh! I liked how the song became contagious, and soon everyone was afflicted. The ending of the story was so funny when Nick actually had the wrong Superman story stuck in his head.

Ordinary Hero- Enjoyed how you wrote the relationship between Nick and his father. The first section was sweet, especially how Nick's father took care of his young son. The second section brought tears to my eyes. You captured the unimaginal pain a parent must go through when their child is injured and in pain. It was refreshing to see Nick's father portrayed as a caring father.

Who Saves Superman- Nick was written true to character, as were Mandy and Hodges. I liked that you wrote Mandy worrying about David and Nick, I can see here behaving this way. Hodges' obnoxious attitude was spot on, you know he'd act that way. The ending was nice with Hodges and Mandy promising to watch out for Nick.

Heroes and Ghosts-Poor Nick...Poor Haley. I can imagine Nick being disturbed with Haley's death, and believing he could have done more. It truly is a shame that so many children fall through the cracks of society, and certain sad because they have no control. The flashbacks to Nick's childhood was a nice way to tie the story together.

Great job everyone! :thumbsup: Thank you for writing your stories. :)

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Just a reminder, we're going to reveal the authors on Sunday. So you have until then to submit your reviews here. Remember, authors of submitted stories are asked to review and lurkers are welcome to add theirs as well! :)

3. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Great stories! :thumbsup: So many different takes on the same song. Very enjoyable to read them all.

Drinks at the Diner - Good followup to the college fund idea. Nick cared about Warrick, and continues that caring with Warrick's family.

Rescue
    - It's good to see more of Nick's bird knowledge in action - and that not all of it comes from Animal Planet! It's typical Nick, always wanting to help anyone in trouble, even an animal. The interleaving of past and present was well done.

It Only Takes One
    - Poor Greg, always the scapegoat. :lol: It's funny how the song jumps around, and in the end, it's the wrong song. It's like that Gossip game.

Ordinary Hero
    - So cute, and so real, the youngest kid wanting to do everything the big kids do. I like the father-son relationship here.

Who Saves Superman?
    - Hodges is right, Nick always seems to bounce back from everything. It's good to see that there's someone looking out for him anyway. It fits well that it's Mandy.

Heroes and Ghosts
    - So sad. :( Nick takes his job to heart so much, but this shows that that much emotional involvement can have its toll.

4. AmySparkles

AmySparkles Dead on Arrival

Finally able to post some reviews.. My internet connection has been horrible lately and keep cutting out on me.. Thank god I'm switching toa laptop and a different internet connection next week..

The stories were great, it was really cool to see all the different interpretations of one song..

Drinks at the diner - I loved the follow up to the college fund because we haven't gotten to see anything about that in any of the episodes (yet). I liked the beginning of the story because I wasn't exactly sure who he was meeting. I also liked that there was a little bit of awkwardness (I thought), it just seemed to fit. Great job. :)

Rescue - I love stories that have a little past and present. I loved that the story showed Nick's caring side that we see so much. He cares for everything, even the little things. I liked that Nick's grandfather was involved, it's nice seeing some more backstory that we don't get in the episodes.

It only takes one - I hate when a song gets stuck in my head!!! (unless its a good one) :) I liked this a lot because it was light and had nice interactions between Nick and Greg. I also liked the ending, there are a million Superman songs. :)

Ordinary Hero - I loved the connection of past and present. I liked how you wrote Nick's dad, usually he can be very stern and not very caring but I think you got him just right. Great job :) I loved the 'present' section, it must be really hard to have a son or daughter in pain but to have had them buried alive, wow. Nice work :)

Who saves Superman - Mandy!! It was nice to have her in this fic as I haven't really read many where she is present. Hodges was definitely in character, he can be so annoying (but I still like him). I loved the ending and the title really is true, Nick watches out for eveybody but sometimes you wonder who looks out for him. Nice story :)

Heroes and Ghosts - I liked the follow up to 'Turn Turn Turn' and how Nick was haunted by what happened. It shows how sometimes it can backfire when you get so emotionally involved. I think it would have been awesome if there had been an episode where Nick did get too emotionally involved and something like this happened but Grissom was there, not in a judgemental way but in a caring way, because of his attitude towards Nicks emotions.

I loved reading them all, can't wait for the next challenge :thumbsup:

5. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

Just came by to say that the old Nick Fic site will soon be gone. The host are closing down in a years time but I can't afford the subscription anymore anyway so I'm just letting it go. I've saved a backup though.

Anyway, while I'm here I thought I'd read the current challenge and leave some reviews.

Drinks at the Diner
    - Lovely story, really thoughtful and emotional. What he tells Tina, to 'let it go' reminds me of Grave Danger when he tells Kelly 'don't take it with you'. You've written Nick spot on - I could see this happening.

Rescue
    - Really cute story, I could see Nick being the type to care for a hurt bird. Just what he needed to take his mind off the stress of work. Lovely.

It Only Takes One - Funny story, it's humorous how a song can be so contagious, funny that the song was the wrong one. Nice story. And great...now I have the Superman Song in my head. Thanks :rolleyes:

Ordinary Hero - Great story, both scenes tie together really well and give a great portrait of the father/son relationship between Nick and his dad. I'd have loved to have seen this on the show!

Who Saves Superman?
    - Nice to see the lab 'family' in action. Nick handled the situation really well, he'll be a great supervisor that's for sure. Great little peek into the lives of our lab rats too.

Heroes and Ghosts - This was really poignant, and sad. I think this is a case that will haunt Nick for the rest of his life. Great job at following Nick's thoughts thoughout. Really makes me feel for him!

6. Smokey

Time for the reveal! Authors, you can now post your story elsewhere if you like. :)

Drinks at the Diner
    - Raynn
    Rescue - Speedystokesgirl
    It Only Takes One - Egeria
    Ordinary Hero - Smokey
    Who Saves Superman - KFK
    Heroes and Ghosts - AmySparkles

Again, great job! And thanks to everyone who wrote for the challenge! :) As always, it was quite a variety of stories!

Egeria, thanks for maintaining the first site for us for so long! :)

7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Drinks at the Diner-Wow..this was good. It took a moment for me to register who the POV was and I was impressed it was Tina. Great job Raynn

Rescue: I loved how you inserted George's Greek heritage into the character of Nick. We still know so little about him that it's quite plausible he's also Greek given how much George puts a lot of himself into the character. You also captured Nick's affinity for animals quite well and your knowledge of birds is quite obvious given the details you share in this story. Wonderful job Speedy! You've grown as a writer.

It Only Takes One: Liked the little bantering between Nick and Greg and it's true about how songs can stick in your head, like Lady Gaga's Bad Romance. Nice story.

Ordinary Hero: I've always loved stories with Nick and his father particularly when it involved Grave Danger. I wished they had shown a reunion between Nick and his father, but alas I guess they put all that screentime into useless monologues by old actors. I loved the second part with Nick and his father-it was very touching particularly his father trying to keep the sheet around him. Great story Smokey. I really liked it!

Who Saved Superman: Awww..Mandy is back. I really miss her in the show and it was nice how Nick gave poor Hodges a talking to to straighten him out. I love this story KFK..thanks

Heroes and Ghosts: Awww..poor Nick. He was so broken hearted over Haley.I liked this story about the trial and Nick still hearing her voice forever in his heart.

Great stories guys. You are all so talented and your skills have grown immensely since the Nick fics started.

Thanks Egeria for maintaining the site for so long.

8. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Just thought I'd bring to everyone's attention that Nickyfan has been nominated for a CSI Fanfic Award over at Live Journal.

Here's the link to the nominations.

If you want to vote for her click here.

Great job, Nickyfan and good luck! :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  9. Smokey

That is awesome!! [​IMG] Stef!!

10. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

What?! Are you kidding??? You can not be serious... no, not mine... not ever!!! :eek: Wtf???

I didn't even know I was nominated!!! :wtf: Heck I didn't even know there was something like this!

It's a nice surprise though [​IMG]

How come they don't inform the writers? I would have never known if you hadn't your eyes everywhere, Speedy. Thanks for pointing it out though ;)

And I was wondering why you left a review for it today :lol: Thanks for it by the way :thumbsup:

11. KFK

KFK Witness

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Way to go Stef, and I've already voted.

Take Care,
    Kelli

12. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

:thumbsup::)Congrats..I voted.

13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Nickyfan won a 2010 CSI FanFic Award for her story "The Inability to Let Go"

Let's all take time to congratulate her! [​IMG]

Here's the link if you want to check it out.

Nickyfan, you can get winner banners from them, as well. :D

Now, don't let this go to your head. :shifty: :lol:

14. Smokey

Excellent job, Stef!! :D You have really come a long way with your writing and your stories. I'm very proud of you! :)

Anyone interested in doing another song challenge??

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Congrats NickyFan:thumbsup: