Preseason Thread: Current Thoughts?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Sep 1, 2010.

1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Believe it or not, the new season is almost here!

In less than a month's time, season seven will be premiering--on Fridays!--with new cast member Sela Ward filling the void of Melina Kanakaredes, who will not be returning.

With the season approaching I thought I would start a preseason thread, where we can discuss how we are currently feeling about the new season. We've been spoiled pretty well so far in regards to casting news, plot lines, and photos (at least until episode 7). It should be enough to start up some juicy discussion... or debate. ;)

As a disclaimer: this is not the spoiler thread. But rather, a place in general where we can discuss our current thoughts going into the new season. E.g., you watched a repeat from last season over the summer and have a different opinion on it now.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

Re: Preseason Thread: How Are You Feeling?

Good idea, vegaslights.

On one hand I'm feeling really excited because I can't wait to see Eddie/Flack back on screen!!! Eddie and Carmine are the main reasons for me to watch and I'm hoping for some entertaining scenes with those two. I'm also looking forward to see Sela Ward in action. I have always liked her as an actress and I believe she's a great addition to the team. I even think that Sela Ward fits way better into the CSI team than Melina did, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

On the other hand, I'm extremely upset about the writers failure in season 6. It's frustrating to see your once favorite TV show being messed up like that. They couldn't have drifted further away from a procedural TV show!

Nevertheless, I sincerely hope that season 7 won't be the final one. I would hate the fact of not being able to watch Eddie/Carmine on a regular basis anymore.

3. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

Re: Preseason Thread: How Are You Feeling?

i could not agree with you more! for me the past three seasons have been blah with maybe like 5 eps that were really good throughout the three years. it's like the writers created this hole for all the characters and couldn't get them out last year.

i'm hoping with Sela Ward coming in it offers the writers to do something new and to create better stories. Jo so far doesn't seem like a push over i mean come on she's a former FBI agent. i would just really like to see all the original characters go back to their roots and be who they were when the show started. i REALLY want to see Danny and Lindsay have individual story lines i am so sick of seeing them together in every episode.

i am looking forward to this season as a fresh start to the characters and the stories.

4. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i'm looking forward to it more than i was. s6 was pretty badly screwed up, and much as i know most people are upset about melina leaving, i think the injection of a new character and resulting shuffle really could shake things up a bit and i think that's exactly what this season needs. i hope it pays off.

and i always look forward to lots of mac, so that's good :D

5. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

I'm super excited about the new season.All episodes seem really interesting so far and I'm looking forward on seeing Sela Ward in action.The show needs a fresh breath and I think she can bring it!!

I hope season 7 does better compare to season 6.

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I was prepared to dump the show after the resolution of the cliffhanger, but with Sela Ward now on board and the announcement of some really good guest stars I'm hopeful for the new season and will definitely be watching past episode one.

7. flack's girl

flack's girl Dead on Arrival

I am looking forward to the new season, even though I will have to wait ages for it! S6 was a bit of a let down so I am looking forward to some new blood, and hopefully some more scenes with Don/Danny!!

8. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I'm hoping for a creative resurgence! I hope having a new character to write for will shake things up a bit, and also change the dynamic among the team. I'd also like to see good storylines for Danny and Flack. Flack had a good one last season, but it hasn't been touched on since "Cuckoo's Nest," and Danny was just bland and OOC last year. And Hawkes needs that love interest!!

9. MakeTracksCowboy

omg me too!!!! i remember texting my friend after Shane Casey fell off the lighthouse "watch somehow he's not dead and if this happeneds i am not watching the show anymore" and sure enough he did. it was so outrageous i mean unless the guy pulled a Sydney Bristow and a parachute in his shirt there was no way he could have survived the fall. i was cursing the writers out for days lol.

but after i read about what will be happening and that Stella won't be around anymore it got my interest back.

same here. there is so much potential for better stories for the show and the characters.

i always think that if i did not love NY as much as i do i would have stopped watching the show. i guess i keep coming back to it b/c i know the writers and the show have so much potential. this upcoming season it seems the potential is coming back.

10. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I'm excited and thrilled! Stella was my favorite character but I didn't expect myself to recover this fast over her departure. Melina decided to move on, so do I. I respected her decision but it's kind of unprofessional not to return for a closure.

From the cool promos and fun photos I've seen, it seems like Jo will fit in the cast. Sela is an award-winning actress so I think she can adapt to what kind of show she is into now.

I'm hoping for continuity (you know what I'm talking about for those who read the spoilers) even if the priority changes, and less continuity errors. That's it. Show NYC diversity. Not all victims/suspects/witnesses should be white/Caucasian.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i wish more people would see it this way. it was her decision and like you said if she can move on then other people should (a) respect that and (b) move on too. if staying was gonna make her unhappy, then surely people should be pleased she's done what's best for her, not demanding her return just so they can see an office romance that was never going to happen anyway!

yeah, that i do kind of agree with although the flipside is that if she had agreed to do a closure, where would they draw the line? she's been a long term character, so doing it in one ep would've been a huge disservice, maybe two eps? but that would surely have just felt like returning to work for her, maybe it was better for everyone to just cut their losses and say "that chapter's over, let's just start fresh" - it's not ideal, but i think if she'd been persuaded to do a closure they would've risked it dragging on and dragging her back in and if she wanted out that would be unfair on everyone.

hmm i'm beginning to think i should be in the stella's leaving thread for this - sorry...:rolleyes:

yep i think she'll change the dynamic and i think that's important at the moment - last season definitely had a feeling of coasting about it, it was like the writers didn't care enough to finish stories properly or respect continuity, some of the dialogue was awful and it sometimes felt as tho the cast knew it, and were just kind of putting up with it. i really hope that by shifting the cast/team dynamic they can start doing something a bit fresher.

oh, aren't we all? ;)

YES! they need to start having more stuff like "american dreamers" way back in s1, ok, so maybe that's not the best example as both the criminal and victim were white but it always springs to mind for me as a great ep, it was just good solid writing, great acting, an interesting story and none of the glitz that we keep getting now. i'd much rather see ordinary people who've ended up criminals/dead because of circumstance than hollywood it girls (even if their victims are ordinary people who've been the victims of circumstance - that entire story was so implausible the ordinariness of the victims hardly registered) or flashy high powered people. i don't want to get rid of the glitz/high powered rich people altogether, because hey, they kill each other too, but they need to have more of a mix.

12. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Yeah I agree. I would be pissed off if she was fired but she's not. It was her choice to leave.

That's why I really like 'Communication Breakdown.' It's a little bit over-the-top to squeeze into one episode the lack of diversity of previous seasons but I think it worked. It was fun and entertaining to watch. It had a case where the shooter was a Chinese man, whose daughter was hooking-up with an African-American man. The witnesses were French, Indian, Spanish, Irish, Asians, etc. The victim was a Native Indian-American. I also like it because of great Flack/Angell moments! Also great to hear other languages. It's a UN episode! :lol:

I just re-watched Lat/Long. Although I didn't like the outrageous time line errors, there was an amazing part of the episode. I must say, Eddie Cahill did an excellent job in Flack's scene with Cliff Angell. I really felt sorry for Flack in that scene. His expressions was amazing that you can almost feel his agony - he's smiling but teary eyed and about to cry. And the flashback scene of Flack/Angell, I played it countless times. I really miss the rapport between Flack/Angell. I really miss Det. Angell. She is my first favorite character on the show. :(

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  13. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I'm...excited :p I was decidedly less-than-thrilled after last season, so didn't think I'd be much of a regular anymore, but damn these guys are good at drawing you right back in! :lol: The spoilers I've seen so far are great, and about this:

I know, I thought I'd be more upset over Stella's departure, but it's nuts how well Sela/Jo seems to be fitting in. I'm already very happy with her presence on the team (well, to be fair I'd have to watch a full episode to be sure, but that one new promo of her and Mac totally made me lol :lol:, so she's got me on board as a fan), and can see the episodes being enjoyable even without Stella there.

...I still miss her, though :lol: But I completely agree: it was decision so it hardly feels disloyal to move on. I really hope the stories and developments are solid, consistent, and fun again! (and individual, geez I can't stress this enough :shifty:)

That's one thing they definitely need -- in addition to the old writing of the earlier seasons, I mean. They need another UN episode, like "Crime and Misdemeanour" or "Daze of Wine and Cockroaches". Or something similar...I mean, NY's a major tourist attraction, but it's weird how we never hear of any of them getting in trouble :lol:

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yep, and even if it seems there were extenuating circumstances that added to her decision (eg the pay thing that was suggested), it was still her choice. it was a business decision, pure & simple.

me too - it did seem a little contrived in a way, having it all jammed into one ep but i thought it worked partly because of the setting - a subway is probably the one place in any big city where the most cultures mix, or transport generally. office buildings, homes and so on don't allow so much mixing but on the subway it's everyone together so even if it was a little contrived, they wrote around that and made it work :)

15. MakeTracksCowboy

with the lack of diversity on this show since season 1 it feels like the writers have never been to NYC or obviously don't know the city too well. just sitting on the train there are so many diverse people let alone walking on the streets. just walking through Times Square and up by the Metropolitain Museum of Art (which a frequent haunt of mine) you hear so many languages and see so many people.

the writers had the essence of NYC in the first two seasons and then there was nothing. they need to get back to the gritty aspect of NYC and get more real to life. i am so tired of seeing things that are so ridiculous and impossible.