Eric & Calleigh #38 - Because "IT" Keeps Happening

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by Jessica237, Mar 7, 2010.

?

Thread Titles?

Poll closed Mar 14, 2010.
  1. Because "It" Keeps Happening

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Looking Forward to Cute Little E/C Babies

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. It's Meant to Be

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Because They Just Can't Stay Away From Each Other

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. True love never dies

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. Your Place or Mine?

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. Now and Forever

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

Welcome to our "hiphuggerland" yen35 :)! It's always nice to "see" new members joining our friendly and peaceful thread! It's a bit slow right now, but it will pick up soon enough :thumbsup:. I hope you'll enjoy sharing your thoughts and ideas about our favourite couple Eric & Calleigh with the rest of us.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. yen35

yen35 Witness

I totally agree with everything you said. We really don't need anymore drama. Just some scenes showing that they are a happy couple!
    I read Adam's interview and was alarmed by the reference to 'derailing the train'. Surely, after all the time they took to get together and all the drama in the last season, the writers are not surely going to break them up this season! I want the train to pull in at the station or I won't have a reason to wake up in the morning or know what to do in my spare time!

3. perriwinkle88

perriwinkle88 Rookie

Welcome yen35! I'm glad you found this thread.:thumbsup:

I do agree with you guys that I don't want to see more drama with the relationship. I enjoy EC moments the most when they are being cute and flirty with each other like the "save a little somethin" scene in Meltdown and the ending scene in "Time Bomb".
    After TPTB's decision not to write in EP's pregnancy and after reading Adam's interview - I really don't know what to expect for Season 9 regarding EC. I hope they won't back pedal and derail the relationship. I know hiphuggerland is kinda divided with the pregnancy thing but IMO if they can't write it in now when the opportunity is there, I don't think they ever will. I would also want a marriage first before baby and TPTB can make this happen if they want to. There is still time for a proposal and wedding and when Emily really starts to show they can fast forward time just like they are doing in CSI NY (fastforwarding the premiere to 5 months) . I mean there is entirely a big possible for Cal getting knocked up since they're practically living together--it's not an entirely out of the blue thing.There storyline is better set up for this thing to happen compared to D & L's in NY.:(
    Okay, I don't want to be Little Miss Pessimistic here so I've decided to think back a year ago when EC was a big ????? after AR's departure. At least now, we know E & C are happy together and Emily will only miss 2 epis.;)

4. Jacks

Jacks Rookie

Okay...I don't think this needs a spoiler box, so here goes...You know, to an extent I understand why they don't want to write EP's pregnancy into the show, and part of me thinks it makes perfect sense. However, I can't help but think that maybe they would quit jerking us around if Calleigh and Eric had a baby together.

When it comes right down to it, it might not be the best time in their relationship, but if there's one thing we know for sure from watching them, it's that they are solid. This is the real thing for both of them, and they love each other. More than that, Calleigh's not going to be like, "Okay, I guess we'd better get married now that we're having a baby..." (granted, Eric wanted to get married like two years ago).

I could see the prospect of having a baby smacking them both in the face big time. At first they'd be totally freaked out about the prospect of becoming parents, especially considering all of the bumps in their relationship. However, if anything, I think it would help them to take stock and realize that they have an adult relationship where they have been through a lot of crap and it's only made them stronger. More than that, they're willing to work things out rather than give up and say, "well, we had a good run...I guess we just don't belong together." They're going to fight for one another and their relationship, and that much is already evident. I mean, Eric lied to Calleigh, and they're working through that. We know that trust is huge to Calleigh, and the fact that she's willing to trust him still says a lot about how she feels about him. And Eric? He's been in this forever. Yeah, he made some mistakes, but for as much as he's invested and as much as he wants this, he's not going to throw in the towel either.

That said, yeah, maybe they are at a bad place for a baby, but they are having sex and the only 100% sure way to avoid pregnancy is to avoid that sort of thing. It wouldn't be completely ludicrous for a baby to happen. It's not like the sperm is going to stop and be like, "oh wait...now is a bad time. Perhaps I should just die rather than do what I'm supposed to do and burrow into the egg right in front of me." (don't get me wrong, discerning, prudent sperm would be awesome...) So it wouldn't be impossible for two people to go through what Eric and Calleigh have gone through and then end up pregnant to boot. They're in a much better place with their relationship than Danny and Lindsay were, and I honestly think it wouldn't be as out there as other pregnancies written into shows.

Plus, as I referenced before, maybe the writers would quit screwing with us and just let Eric and Calleigh be happy. You know they're going to add more EC drama in the next season anyway (because that's what they do) so changing the general relationship drama to baby/relationship drama wouldn't change things that much (unless the writers decided to make it that way...which, I suppose, they could). I can't help but think that knocking Calleigh up with Eric's baby would give the writers no choice but to keep them together. I mean, there's a chance that they will anyway, but I also know that show writers love drama and that sort of thing, so after all this they might very well break them up. Having a baby involved increases the chances of them keeping EC together in my opinion. I suppose some people might then say that the writers only kept them together because Calleigh had a baby, the writers, by choosing not to write the pregnancy in, have already established that they are the ones in charge of the storyline, and if they really, really wanted to break them up, they could. I like to think that by this point they don't, and a baby would really solidify that for me personally (that said, I would have preferred that EC marry and then try for a baby, but I'll take what I can get).

Either way, having said all that, I really think it would be fun to have an EC baby written into the show, and you know they'd have some really freaking precious scenes in there that would make everything worth it.

5. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

:lol::lol: This made me laugh soooo much :guffaw:

I can't help thinking that a huge part of deciding not to write the pregnancy in the show has to do with CSI NY writing in Anna's pregnancy and having Lindsay and Danny involved. I believe that if that hadn't happened there would've been a bigger chance for Emily's pregnancy to make it into the show.

I agree that even if they've been through a lot in their relationship their love has become stronger because of it and they could deal very well with having a baby. Still I can't help thinking that the writers would not use the baby as a joyous occasion but as another excuse to bring more drama to them. Then again they use everything and anything to bring more drama to them so...

6. Divot

Divot Victim

I am SO glad someone stepped up and said it! I agree, and it seems rather odd that all these folks who are Hiphugger fans are having issues with a baby. A joyous event, and a realistic one, so why not? I was rather taken aback by the amount of comments when Emily's pregnancy was initially discussed, who didn't want a baby written in, and others who said 'oh no not now.' This is an adult relationship. Let them face real adult issues, please?

7. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

1 thing I remember Adam pointing out in his interview was that he said there wasn't enough time for the couple to adjust to the situation is Calleigh was pregnant, because Emily is already five and a half months along. Think about how weird it'd be:

Cal: Eric I'm pregnant
    Eric: What?! Really? I thought you were just fat
    SLAP!

:guffaw:Okay maybe not like that but you guys catch my drift. That's when I really came to the conclusion that maybe Calleigh being preg now isnt a good idea, if the writers had planned with her then it might've been wonderful. But somehow, from the Monty Carlo interview, they hadn't gave her the okay even though she asked them.

I'm just glad Emily is getting her wish now to be pregnant. I don't really care if Calleigh gets preg or not just as long as EC stands together :adore:

8. perriwinkle88

perriwinkle88 Rookie

I really don't get the rationale behind TPTB not writing it in. I really thought they are in a pretty good place in their relationship as what Jacks eloquently explained in the above post and they were seguing the storyline to this eventuality.
    I don't know with you guys but I certainly will have a hard time looking at Calleigh in every scene and thinking -okay she is not pregnant, she just gained a lot of weight.:confused:

BTW, there's an online petition to write it into the show so if you have not signed yet here's the link: http://www.petitiononline.com/callpreg/petition.html

9. Jessica237

Jessica237 Pathologist

Jacks makes some fantastic points. :D

Agreed. I don't think Eric is going anywhere anytime soon; his devotion to her has been clear since mid-to-late season 5. Between then and when they got together in S7, that's two years that a sexy guy like Eric ( ;) ) could have been out playing the field, being with just about any girl he wanted. But he wasn't. Calleigh might've been confused ("What do you want, Eric? You are going to have to tell me..."), but it's been clear to us that he's wanted nothing more than to be with her. He waited through the Jake thing. He was there by her side during SYG, All In, Wrecking Crew, and we all saw how he acted during the entirety of SGIYCSI. After they finally got together, well, we all know all of the super drama they've been through since then. :rolleyes: :lol: He might have walked away from CSI, but I don't think he ever had any intention of walking away from Calleigh, not after waiting so long and fighting so hard for her. :adore:

And Calleigh...
    This. I hate to compare ships (especially when I ship both of them :lol:), but there is one huge thing that stands out to me concerning Calleigh/Eric and Calleigh/Jake. When Jake and Calleigh kept running into issues that stopped them from having dinner, Calleigh suggested that they look at it as a sign, that maybe it just wasn't supposed to happen. Well, there have been tons of things like that between Eric and Calleigh (um, the fact that they both continue to nearly die comes to mind... :lol: ), and not once has she suggested they give up on each other. Oh, and remember Peter Elliot? He led her on, lied to her once and she was done, not gonna deal with him any longer. Hagen got under her skin once, and she was done with him. Eric, as Jacks said, lied to her at least twice throughout seasons 7 and 8; he tried to do things on his own when they'd already agreed to do things together; he ran off to Puerto Rico without so much as a word to her; he investigated the team and wore a wire which undoubtedly upset her whether or not he was wearing it at home; oh, and he drove a car at her. ;) And then there's the fact that, unlike Jake or Hagen or Peter, Eric is a direct coworker, and I don't think Calleigh would even start something with him unless she felt it was real. My conclusion? Calleigh is just as in this as Eric is. :D

So, yeah, it probably isn't the best time for a baby, but I do not think it would cause anything negative for EC at all. Yeah, I think they would be terrified at first, and it might derail some plans a bit (I feel like Eric would want to put a ring on her finger before a baby in her belly ;) ) but I don't think at all that a baby would cause Eric to run for the hills. He's a good person, he wasn't going to abandon Natalia when she had her pregnancy scare; he definitely isn't going to abandon the woman who was his best friend for 5+ years before he fell in love with her. The history there is just too strong. And Calleigh, as well as she has interacted with kids, I feel like there's probably a yearning there, despite her own negative experiences as a kid. My gut feeling is that Eric and Calleigh would make this work, absolutely.

My only reservation lies with the writers. I'm not entirely sure I would trust them to not 1) write a kidnapped baby storyline, 2) make it possible that the baby could be Jake's, 3) write a miscarriage, or 4) put a 7-8 month pregnant Calleigh in the midst of a shootout in which she loses the baby. Excellent angst storylines, but come on, no more of that. Honestly though, I was surprised they decided not to write it in - just because we've had a pregnant Lindsay on NY doesn't mean we've had a pregnant Calleigh on Miami, and seriously, the two are as different as night and day. I would have loved to see stubborn Calleigh being annoyed at being taken out of the field and spending most of her time in the lab at some point, and Eric amused at her stubbornness, but obviously relieved that she's not out in the field with all the bad guys with guns.

I also think that a team scene with the EC baby would have been the most adorable thing ever - think JJ bringing her baby to the BAU for a little visit on Criminal Minds that time. That scene was too cute, and I can imagine Ryan holding the baby while everybody coos and smiles and EC kind of stand back a bit, watching their "family" with their baby.

Also, maternity leave for Calleigh? Would have presented a chance for some of the other characters to shine in her absence.

Bottom line, I would have loved to see Emily's pregnancy written in, just because I feel like there is so much that could have been done with it, despite my own apprehension with the writers. True, it isn't the best time, but if there is any doubt, I think this could have been the perfect opportunity for Eric to go all in, so to speak. To declare that he's in this for good, that a family with Calleigh is what he wants, to prove that what they have is more than just "we promised it wouldn't happen again, but it keeps happening, oops." It could have presented the writers with the opportunity to write a more careful Eric and Calleigh, an Eric and Calleigh who aren't at death's doorstep once every three or four episodes - it would have presented an opportunity to drop back on the EC angst and drama, and just let them proceed smoothly through a pregnancy together. Wouldn't have even been that hard to introduce it - just throw in a post-finale/premiere checkup for Cal and have her doctor discover it then; or even have Cal already know about it and let that be the first thing on her mind when she wakes up in the premiere. It definitely could have worked, given the right kind of writing.

So, sure, it's certainly not the best time for a baby, what with lingering trust issues and grey areas in certain parts of their relationship (but those are areas that EC are committed to working through, I believe), but it would have definitely been a very possible direction to take their storyline. Babies happen quite often to couples who are far less committed to each other and far less mature than Eric and Calleigh are.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  10. kala79

kala79 Lab Technician

I do agree with that. I would be afraid of never-ending baby drama, knowing how capable of writing such stories those writers are, but it would give us some assurance that they will make this work. And as someone mentioned before - not having a baby now may mean never. Baby wouldn't have to take the front line in any episode(no kidnapping etc), but ridiculous thing is that only Alexx had a normal(well, sort of:lol:) family in CSIM. Wveryone else, a bunch of so attractive people is constantly lonely and the only couple that exists there is put in constant danger. Just let them be already, create a lovely female character who would be Ryan's girlfriend and give them some drama instead :)

I do ship both of them as well as I find Jake to be the best written character in CSIM(maybe it's this actors charisma, I don't know), but agree he is no good for Calleigh as she needs someone more reliable. Well, as you pointed out, there are issues with it too in her relationship with Eric, but it's mostly because writers didn't know how to handle Adam's decidion to leave the show. That's why for half of the season we got 'where are we in our relationship' sort of thing, and then just a usual drama like bombs, fires, etc:rolleyes::lol: I don't like that sentence ' it keeps happening', after chasing Cal for so long and wanting to marry her and start a family it shouldn't just 'keep happening'. It's like step back from what they had before.I want a real relationship, with no drama, lots of happy smiles and flirting like in 'Meltdown'.

11. Jessica237

Jessica237 Pathologist

EXACTLY.

I think the huge problem with season 8 is exactly that, and to be honest, I kind of do place some of the blame for that on Adam's shoulders. I get the feeling that when Adam decided he was going to walk, the writers had to work fast to change things and work a departure in; when he came back, I think they probably had to do the same. And I think that added to a lot of the confusion surrounding EC's relationship last season (there's a lot of "they're not committed, they're just sex" floating around out there).

Aside from that, I've also been wondering if the bombs and the near-death experiences all season long were the writers' ways of making sure we didn't forget that EC were a couple. With Eric not there, maybe they thought we might forget, and so they throw in some major EC drama while he's there just so they make sure we do remember. Same with "it keeps happening," maybe that was their way (albeit a bad one) of pointing out that they are in fact sleeping together (which would have kind of fed nicely into a baby storyline - when it keeps happening, babies happen. ;) ) I don't think any of us would have any trouble remembering, but maybe the writers think the average CSIM fan has a fairly short attention span? I don't know. :lol:

12. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I agree that most of what happened in season 8 with EC (this weird state of ambiguity) had to do with the writers scrambling when Adam left. However, I have to say that if you're successful enough to be a writer on a hit TV series like CSI Miami then you're supposed to be creative enough to write descent storylines even if there's change thrown your way. It could've been as easy as just Eric leaving CSI but them staying in a relationship off camera. The episodes he appeared in we could've gotten glimpses of were their relationship was and have some cute, flirty moments and off he went again until next time. Then when Adam returned full time they would've already been in an ongoing relationship and they could work it into the show like they had planned before he left. And if Adam didn't come back then they could just have Calleigh say at some point that they had decided to call it quits or they could keep mentioning that they were together off camera. I just think the writers got themselves all flustered and twisted over something that could've been really simple.

13. yen35

yen35 Witness

14. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

With all the re-runs going on I've been catching up on Miami and NY. Last night, the ep. with the volleyball murders. Really good, but how Eric & Calleigh couldn't talk to each other till the case was solved they were involved. WOW, when they did talk the eye contact sizzling. Their nuts about each other. If I didn't know better I'd think they were real life lovers. Good acting. They belong together for sure. And both so darling in the looks department~

BTW could Cheryl Ladds face be any tighter:wtf: she looks like Joan Rivers sister:rolleyes:

15. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

Everyone has raised some really great points re the E/C ambiguity in Season 8 and the decision not to write Emily's real-life pregnancy into the show. I agree that the up-in-the-air status of Calleigh and Eric's relationship, especially in the 1st half of Season 8, was due to uncertainty in the wake of Adam's decision to leave the show after CBS' bull-headedness stymied their negotiations. CSIM's writers have been known to make some rather odd creative choices under the best of circumstances, so it was hardly surprising to me that they mucked-up their handling of Eric & Calleigh's relationship when Adam's status with the show was hanging in the balance. As, hiphugger17 pointed out, they could have just had Eric & Calleigh continue their relationship off-screen when Eric left the CSI unit, and then the on-camera E/C romance could have seamlessly resumed when he joined the State Attorney's Office, and later, rejoined the CSIM team. That's what TPTB did with Gil and Sara when Jorja Fox left the show a few seasons back, so you would think that something like this should have occurred to the CSIM writers. But apparently not. :rolleyes: Thank goodness they were able to salvage E&C's relationship (somewhat) and give us Hiphugger-fans some cute E/C moments towards the end of the season.

I guess this leads me to the only reason that I have reservations about Emily's real-life pregnancy being written into the show: I'm not sure I trust the writers to handle it properly. :shifty: The shipper in me would like nothing more than to see my favorite TV couple having cute, loving "Calleigh's pregnant" moments, and with a bundle of joy. I came away from Season 8 feeling like Calleigh & Eric were truly solid and committed as a couple:luvlove:, and were well on their way to resolving any remaining trust issues. In this type of scenario, a pregnancy certainly wouldn't be unexpected or unwelcome, especially since (per "In the Wind"), the couple seemed to have resumed their physical relationship a short time after Eric got back from Puerto Rico. I definitely think that, even though it would've been a surprise, E&C would have been ecstatic about the news of a pregnancy, esp. Eric, if his comments about having children (with Calleigh, although he didn't admit it at the time) during "CSI: My Nanny" were anything to go by.

However, I agree that a pregnancy for Calleigh would need to be a carefully written storyline, done with a great deal of finesse, esp. given that Emily is already over 5 months pregnant (and clearly showing). In the past, the writers on CSIM (and on many of CBS' crime dramas, for that matter) have shown all the finesse of a sledgehammer, esp. when it comes to writing romance-related storylines, and in particular, E/C's. I fear that, if they were to attempt to write Emily's pregnancy into the show, they'd resort to the same-old, tired, angst-ridden plot devices that they seem unable to resist, like Calleigh and/or her pregnancy being put in jeopardy, the baby being kidnapped, relationship drama surrounding the pregnancy, and the list goes on and on. Given the high risk of the writers screwing up an E/C pregnancy story arc in this fashion, the lesser of two evils for me would be for them not to write Emily's pregnancy into the show at all.

At the end of the day, like C.H.E.A.R. said, I'd be content if the writers just don't (to quote Adam) "derail" E&C's romance next season, and have their relationship train "pull into the station," so to speak. A well-written pregnancy and baby story would've been the (big, gooey, sweet dollop of;)) icing on the cake for me, but, at this point, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that in Season 9, the writers can find it in themselves to give us Calleigh & Eric being more solid, committed, and (gasp!) happier than ever.:adore:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.