The Last Movie You Saw - Thread 4

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, May 4, 2010.

1. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Despicable Me. I went to go see it yesterday and I loved it. It's the story of a villain named Gru who plans to steal the moon but his plan involves adopting three little girls and then leaving them. However, he ends up loving the three girls like daughters. It was really, really cute :) There's one scene near the end where I actually cried because it was so heartwarming. It was really funny and really cute. Vector really bugged me though.

2. Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel Rookie

Morgan and Destiny's Eleventeenth Date - The Zeppelin Zoo - It was AMAZING. I really love this type of film making. It's just under 20 minutes in length and it's online via the maker's site http://hitrecord.org/reel The site was created by actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It's a great idea for a site. He's a very good (very attractive:p) actor, he co-stars Leonardo DiCaprio in Inception as 'Arthur'

I highly reccommend that people check out the movie via that site. Again, it's a short.

3. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

Inception- This has to be one of the greatest movies I've seen in a long time. I'm completely obsessed with it now. I'm actually going to go see it again with my niece. The plot was genius: a dream within a dream within a dream! Did you know it took Christopher Nolan 10 years to write this! That is dedication!

I loved all the actors that were a part of the film. I thought Ellen Page was great and Joseph Gordon-Levitt:drool:...awesome! Leo D. is always amazing and I thought Tom Hardy as Eames was funny:lol:. His character kept the movie from being too serious.

I personally think this will be nominated for Best Picture. Whether it will win is up the the Academy, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

4. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

Sissi: The Fateful Years of an Empress

I just LOVE all the Sissi movies, but I think this is my favorite. They always show them on TV around christmas, but we recently bought the DVD box so I can watch them whenever I feel like it :D. I adore Romy Schneider and this was the role of her life. My two favorite scenes are a) when she is on Korfu and runs through the garden to her mother wearing the white polka-dot dress and b) when Sissi and Franz are in Venice, walking from the piazza to the St. Marcus Church. She sees her daughter and when she reaches her and pulls her into a hug, first one guy shouts "E'Viva la mamma!" and then the whole crowd cheers. It just gives me goosebumps. :D

5. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

The Proposal- Cute. Predictable, but cute. :)

6. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

OK, I've been wanting to review Inception except... the film broke in the theatre and they couldn't fix it, so I have yet to see the last 10 minutes of the film! :lol: So annoying. They gave us a free voucher, but I just don't feel like sitting through another 2 and half hours of it right now. Hopefully I can find one online and just watch the last 10. At this stage, all I can say is that I really liked it, but it wasn't as great as I was expecting. I think I fell into the pitfall of entering a movie with really high expectations. I was expecting to walk out of there feeling like I did after I walked out of The Matrix or something, but I really didn't. I'd like to see it again to see if I can understand more... and see how it ends! :lol:

On the weekend, did a couple late night viewings:

Leaves of Grass: Edward Norton plays twin brothers in a dark comedy about a southern hick who tricks his erudite, professor brother into helping him commit a crime. Edward Norton is in my top 3 of fave actors and he didn't disappoint this time around. A quirky, unpredictable little film and I really liked it.

The Road: I read the book and I'm amazed at how well they translated it to the screen. Very dismal, and yet the way this man cares for his son... Viggo and the kid who played his son were both remarkable, and I bawled through the ending. Great film, but pretty depressing.

Land of the Lost: In opposition to my Inception expectations, I went into this one expecting it to suck, so I was pleasantly surprised to find myself giggling through most of it. I always end up enjoying Will Ferrell movies. His commedy is just so... random. The lines that come out of his mouth always surprise me and make me laugh, so I usually have a good time. Danny McBride cracks me up too. I think the problem with this movie was that it had such a high budget, with all the expensive effects and whatnot, so people were expecting something more than just another silly Will Ferrell movie. And what it is... is just another silly Will Ferrell movie. :lol:

7. allmaple

allmaple Judge

Baba the last 10 minutes are what really makes Inception so fabulous! i really enjoyed that movie, and love how there are so many different interpretations of what the whole thing meant, by just the very last scene. i have never been in a movie where the entire theatre gasped at a moment in the movie before, and that happened in the final scenes of inception. i don't think there really is a "right" or "wrong" way to interpret what exactly was going on (what is real? what is not?) and i think that is the way it was meant to be, im not sure if nolan even knows what the right answer is.

i thought it was a great movie, but one you really need to pay attention to. if anyone decides to rent it instead you need to turn off the computer and unplug the phone to remove all distractions!

8. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

District 9.
    A great movie. Very different, interesting premise, and slightly depressing. But a must see for any sci-fi fan. If you are a fan of 'The X Files' or 'Fringe', I think you will like this one.

9. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - an indie film about two high school kids from different schools who meet up on a night out in New York. Nick is dating Trix, who has just dumped him. Norah is one of Trix's friends. Trix, Norah and some of their friends go to a club where Nick's band, The Jerkoffs (the other two band members are gay) are playing. Trix is with her new beau, and makes fun of Norah for being alone. Norah tells Trix she is here with her boyfriend, and then goes up to Nick, asks him to be her boyfriend for five minutes, and kisses him (she had been checking him out before). They then embark on an adventurous night across New York City, seeking their favourite band Where's Fluffy, which keeps it's venues secret, and fans have to track them down via clues given out over the radio and sometimes dotted about the city. As well as tracking down Fluffy, they have to find Norah's drunken friend and get her home, and keep running into their respective exes (Trix, and Norah's former 'sort-of' boyfriend). Along the way they argue, discover a joint love of indie bands and music, and learn more about each other and themselves.
    A really sweet, funny movie (Nick's bandmates in particular are hilarious, and the 'I found Jesus....he's taller in real life' scene is just classic) with a great setting. Nick and Norah are good looking, but they're not the typical pretty/perfect types you often get in teen films, which makes them very likeable as characters.

The Magnificent Seven.
    A group of villagers get tired of being robbed and pushed around by a band of no-good Mexican bandits and hire a group of seven gunslingers to protect them and help them fight off the bandits. I don't ever usually watch 'Westerns', but this one has some real depth to it, makes the point that violence isn't as glorious as it may seem, and has some complex characters in it, too. There are also some funny moments. My favourite was Lee, played by Robert Vaughn.

10. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

I went yesterday... and the above reflects more or less my feeling about the movie... I never thought I would be able to sit out a movie with leonardo (He ruined it for himself (at least for me ;)) with Titanic) but what do you know.. the only time I linked these two was with the openings scene, after that... a rollercaster of indeed the "oh" and "WTF????".. and the last scene I'm already in a discussion with one of my colleagues... does it or not??? I think it will not......

11. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

OK, I have finally seen Inception in its entirety and can wholeheartedly give it two thumbs up. I wouldn't say there's anything more profound in the story than the idea that you can't ever truly reproduce the real world, so you can't live in a fantasy world... however, it was an extremely cool concept. And although the storyline is complicated, it still seems like everyone is understanding enough to really enjoy it. Truthfully, I found it easier to understand than the ending of LOST! :lol:

A very exciting, slick movie to watch- everybody needs to see this one, I think. If only to make up your own mind. ;)

12. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

The A-Team - I loved it. :D I have never see the orignial show, so if that's what's putting you off going to see it, I wouldn't let it... The film sets out to tell the story of what happened before the tv show, how the team came together in the first place, and I gotta say, it's brilliant, the special effects are amazing and the acting is first class, adding up to a 5* action movie. Liam Neeson makes an amazing Hannibal, he has exactly what it takes to play the role of the leader, Bradley Cooper as Face, well, I must admit, before seeing the movie, I had my reservations about that... I wasn't sure how he'd plan out as an action hero, but I've gotta say, he did a great job. Murdock was simply hilarious, he had some great one liners through out, and as for B.A. well, he was exactly as to be expected, rough, tough and not afraid to stand up for what he believes in. Overall, I'd recommend the movie to any action movie fan, whether or not they were a fan of the original series. 5*. :D

13. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

We just saw Remember Me through Netflix. Very boring, predictable movie - until the ending, which makes you want to throw your TV set out the window.

14. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

^ Serious? You thought it was boring?

Remember Me
    is actually the last movie I watched too, and to be perfectly honest, I really enjoyed it, I thought it was a little slow to start, but when it really got started I thought it was really good. It tells the story of Tyler and his family, and how he's trying to cope with the death of his brother, and the strain that it has put on his relationship with his dad. He isn't really looking for love, but it comes his way, leading to him seeing light at the end of the tunnel, and coming to realise how he may actually be able to find happiness. However, things may not turn out the way you'd hope for him... A great movie when you get into it, but beware, you'll need to bring some tissues, it's a real tearjerker...

15. MesserNMontana

MesserNMontana Victim

Last movie i saw was Eclipse and i can say it was way better then New Moon. it had 2 really funny scenes.