Stellas Leaving

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by paige4donmacdan, Aug 1, 2010.

?

Do You Want Stella To Leave ?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2010.
  1. Yes

13.6%
  2. No

65.9%
  3. Maybe

20.5%
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

There should be another choice: "Don't care."

Yes, I liked Stella, but Melina chose to leave. The show will survive without her -and if it doesn't survive it won't be because she left -and I'm excited for a new character to be brought on board.

2. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Somewhere between glad she's gone and don't care. Stella wasn't a character I especially liked or followed so there's no loyalty there.

I'm excited about Sela Ward joining the cast. I think she will be good for Mac and the team.

3. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Hmmm....I voted, "No." I didn't want MK/Stella to leave and would've preferred that all the cast stay together and have the show go out on top with stronger writing. That said, MK leaving does make it easier to distance myself from the show and accept the prospect of its ending.

I don't have a problem with MK's attitude towards Stella either. From the latest interview, it sounds like she wanted Stella to be written and portrayed in a more positive way and didn't feel like that was happening, so I can understand if her interest in portraying the character has diminshed.

Re: why she's not coming back to wrap up the character, maybe we'll find out more of what happened behind the scenes at some point. Was MK even asked to come back for one or two episodes, or did the producers think it was best to just move on quickly? And if MK was asked to participate in Stella's exit, did she decline becasue she didn't agree with what was planned? Inquiring minds want to know....;)

As to whether the show will survive much longer, there are a number of factors which probably will play into that outcome, including the timeslot change and how well they are able to transition in the new character. Considering NY's new timeslot, I would think one of the main things they need is a stable, loyal audience who will follow them to Friday and hang around as they "find themselves" again. Losing a lead character is not a trivial thing to overcome as other series have found out, and I'm still skeptical this will be a positive factor for NY, especially when it comes to the broader audience.

4. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Well said I'm right behind ya and I'll turn out the light!....;)

5. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Well, I'm not turning out the lights for good -- just coming into the room every now and then and flipping them on to see if anything good is happening. ;)

Like I mentioned before, I'm popping in here and there to read spoilers and get an idea of where the show is heading but not following it as closely as in the past.

The stuff about MK leaving interests me because (1)Stella was one of my favorite characters and (2) I tend to agree that the character has been diminshed in some ways over the last 1-1/2 years.

Hopefully, the producers/writers have learned some things from their experiences writing Stella that will help them write her successor with dignity and consistency.

6. electra

electra Pathologist

I can watch CSI NY without Stella.It's just another thing that makes me less interested in the show.They will need the whole cast and storylines as good as the compass killer one to keep up with ratings.

7. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Alright then but watch out for the BOOGEY MAN!!:eek::lol:

Just out of curiosity how would you know this?

This is an article I read at Media Life magazine...Sounds like quite the optimist!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  8. PerfectAnomaly

I won't know for sure, but anyone would have a very difficult time convincing me that a show that's been on for 7 seasons and was moved to Friday nights ended because one character/actor left. I don't believe any one character/actor makes or breaks the show. And if one character does then I believe it would be Mac since Gary is the lead and a "big" name. I also don't believe a show ends for just one reason. There are 10-12 million people who watch the show so I think there would be a variety of reasons for why it would end.

9. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

CSI has survived without Billy Peterson so it can be done without the lead. As far as a variety of reasons somebody who has been making some very poor decisiones seems to be bound and determined to see it fail.

10. PerfectAnomaly

You're right. It can be done without the lead. That just solidifies my opinion that if the show ends it won't be because Melina left.

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i think it's kinda sad she's gone but y'know, she was never my favourite particularly so i'm not that upset over it. and i'm sure the new girl will be just fine :)

12. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

But your opinion would be just one facet of the situation which nobody was disagreeing with but I still think Melinas departure will play into it. All speculations aside I dont think CSINY is in a very good postion right now with rating and cast members leaving and writing skills and the move to Friday night...just my opinion:)

13. PerfectAnomaly

I never said anyone was disagreeing with me. I was simply stating that I don't think Melina leaving will end the show. If the show does end it will be for a variety of reasons, but I would have a hard time believing a show that pulls 10-12 million viewers would have a big enough decline in numbers to put it in jeopardy because one cast member left.

14. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Game over your repeating yourself...moving on now:)
    Me thinks I shall hear you weeping all the way over here when or if Gary leaves! :eek::lol:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

absolutely! but for me that would be different ;) i would almost certainly stop watching if he left, i think. i still love other bits of csiny (adam, sid, flack for instance) but probably not enough. but stella? meh.