What Do You Think About Eddie Cibrian's Departure? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by baybeehannah, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Eddie has landed a role that will give him a couple of appearances on the NBC series, "Chase". Hopefully it will lead to many more. :)

I'm thrilled for him! Congratulations, Eddie! I'm sure this will be the first of many challenging roles that will come his way.

I'm really beginning to believe that being dropped by CSI Miami may turn out to be better for him than staying. This way he isn't blamed for the continous ratings slide and he can persue roles where he doesn't have to deal with an onslaught of malicious, hateful attacks.

2. lovehiphugger

lovehiphugger Victim

IAM HAPPY FOR EDDIE THAT HE GOT A NEW ROLE TO PLAY !!!!!!! I REALLY DID'T LIKE HIM ON CSI MIAMI BUT YAYAY FOR HIM AND HIS NEW JOB ;)

3. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Maybe a good idea here to differentiate between the producers and the writers. I think the writers did the best they could to create scenes for Jesse, along with a usable past. The whole hostage episode was pretty much about him, as was the show set in Los Angeles--IMO, one of the best episodes of the season. Plus there were excellent ensemble scenes with Ryan and Walter...the biotech episode comes to mind as a good example.

Yes, you could tell this a little more than halfway into the season when it became clear Adam realized he made a huge "NYPD Blue-David Caruso" career blunder, and the producers salivated at getting "hunky-but-doltish Delko" back, and at a discount. At that point, I can fully see the producers going to the writers and having Eddie's role in the show reduced to next to nothing. It couldn't have been more obvious if the producers has Jesse take a month long vacation in the Hamptons!

The way that Delko was written back into the show is borderline despicable, but I suppose that's par for the course in sleazy Hollywood. Still, I don't remember McLean Stevenson wanting back on the set of MASH. Nor did Radar O'Reilly magically reenlist and show up again. Heck, has anyone seen William Petersen lately? Only the greedy, attention whore Tutle family comes this close.

On a side note, any guesses on how fast Jesse will even cease to be mentioned on the show? CSIM has had a mixed past in how they treat ex-characters. Cooper, Speedle, and Woods all had a few cameos after they "left" the show. Evan Clavo Cruz made a comeback. :lol: But I strongly suspect, after all the hatred from the Delko sycophants, he'll be the one to not wake up after that ultra hokey, ultra transparent season finale; they bury him and the name "Jesse" will disappear faster than a Ron Saris getaway car.

4. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You're right - for the first part of the season. But this group of writers have made very clear who and what they prefer to be the focus of their writing - even though the worst kind of bad soap opera is the result they keep shoving it down our throats.

Jesse started out strong, but was quickly kicked to the curb as soon as it was know that Delko was coming back - like his "in and out" of episodes wasn't enough of a total disruption to the team.

It may have been at the bidding of the showrunner and producers but that doesn't dismiss the lack of any real effort (to me is very apparent across the board for this group of writers) the very poor writing and general lack of even basic knowledge of the characters they write for. Ryan is a prime example of a character made to suffer with OOC moments, especially this season, for the writer's failure to do their homework.

And THAT is when Ryan, Natalia or Frank can even get the writer's to remember they exist. :scream:

You seem to like to use "NYPD Blue-David Caruso" slam a lot. :lol: If it makes ya happy! :thumbsup: But there a plenty of other actors who made that "move" and were less than successful. Caruso is hardly the only one. ~shrug~ While Caruso behaved badly in that moment, I guess the way he dealt with the resulting hateful onslaught told me about his true character. He took responsibility and worked his way back.

"Hunky???" Yeah. Whatever. I'll take Jesse, Ryan or Rick anytime over Delko.

Oh, I agree. The moment Rodriguez came crawling back it was common knowledge that Eddie would be toast. I hoped, but I knew better. Even after Rodriguez tried to deflect before it even happened by saying in an interview that nothing in his contract should bring about anyone being dropped. You can bet he knew from the minute he signed that Cibrian would pay the price.

It's my understanding that they have been pursing Petersen regularly to reprise his role as Grissom and he's repeatedly refused. And you're right about the others you mentioned, and many more who've made the same decision to move on and had their career falter because they couldn't find anything else. I can't think of anyone who came back the way Rodriguez did.

With all the maliciousness directed at both the actor and the character by those who were threatened by his mere existence? I'll be surprised if we hear his name again after the first episode.

Jesse who? :(

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  5. Adamsgirl

Adamsgirl Dead on Arrival

Hey, I'm in the "I don't want Jesse to leave" camp, and I really wish he wasn't leaving as I enjoyed the character an imense amount. But people keep saying that Adam came "crawling back" and the "caruso nypd moment" are uncalled for. I highly doubt Adam felt that his career was over considering he's had by far the most guest appearances in TV shows and in movies during his Miami career and after than any other current Miami cast member. In my eyes, comments like those are unnessesary.

It's also not Adam's fault that Eddie was dropped. Too much hostility against a LOT of the actors on the show is getting quite out of hand now. I'm not looking for an "argument" here, I've been dealing with that on other boards trying to defend Eddie, really don't want that on here too!

6. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

Fully agree with you; I too am tired of the constant negativity, hostility and unfairness demontrated by some posters towards certain cast members :(
    The irony in all this is that while fans of the different actors are quarrelling with each other, the actors themselves really like each other and get along very well together :guffaw:

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Hit and Run

I wish Eddie all the luck in the future, I'm sure he'll pull himself up by his boot strapes and be just fine. I believe TPTB decided not to pick up his contract for another year. (This kind of thing happens all the time in sports, if an athelete has a one year contract with an option for another year, if the owner decides not to pick up the option, you move on.) Just like TPTB decided not to negotiate a new contract with Adam last year. I don't believe it was Adam wanting a big movie career because he has always said how much he enjoys being on CSIM. And with Ann D.'s help, he was able to sign on for 10 eppy's, while working on Ugly Betty, a job he signed on for in Sept., when we knew last summer he wouldn't back full time on CSIM. And yes I am very happy he is back this season, and no I don't hate Eddie, but what I want to know is, why can some of you guys be outraged that Eddie is gone this year after one season, but can't understand why Adam's fans where out raged last year, when he was on the show from the beginning. It's like riding one horse to win the race and changing to another won for the victory dance.

8. Court

Court Prime Suspect

As I recall, Adam chose to leave the show he had been on since the beginning to pursue other career opportunities. Eddie was pretty much forced to leave a show that, a year ago, hyped the heck out of him.

9. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

And a show that Cibrian always appeared to be excited to be a part of and always represented is a positive, enthusiastic manner.

10. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I don't think it has anything to do with understanding Adam's fans, at least it isn't for me -- I can understand wanting to fight to keep a favorite character, but I don't agree with fighting tooth and nail to keep a "romance" on a crime show.
    What's bothersome is that Eddie/Jesse was fresh blood, and Eric/Adam isn't....some (including myself) feel he's pretty well tapped out. With him now returning and the new blood leaving, it seems the show could fall right back into thier slump with the same tired storyline....something alot of Miami fans just don't want to see.

For the record, I'd take Horatio, Natalia, and Ryan over Jesse any day. But I'd have gladly taken Jesse rather than seeing Eric in another season of the same ol' same ol'.

11. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

IMO, the posts by Adamsgirl, D&D Addict and snowbunny have highlighted a bit of a double-standard that some forum-members seem to apply only to certain castmembers (a bit unfairly, in my view). And in my months of posting (and years of lurking) on this forum, I've noticed something that might account for it: A number of posters lamenting Eddie's departure from the show and personally blaming Adam and/or the E/C romance for it, claim to take issue with having a romance on CSIM or having it featured so prominently on the show. (I personally disagree with this viewpoint, but a several anti-EC-shippers have expressed it, so it's only fair that I raise it here). However, I've noticed from browsing around the forum that quite a few of the people complaining the loudest about the E/C romance and championing the cause of getting rid of Eric and/or Calleigh and replacing them with new characters, are supporters of other, non-canon 'ships like DuCaine, EDeN, CarWash, etc. This leads me to wonder whether these folks would want fresh blood or be complaining about Eric/Calleigh or the romance being played-out if it was their favorite 'ship that was canon on the show rather than E/C. (Regardless of how the romance was written, how much screen-time was given to it, etc., etc.). Against this backdrop, some of the comments about Eddie seem to be little more than pretexts. In some ways, poor Eddie has become the pawn for certain anti-E/C-shippers who are apparently uncomfortable being straightforward about why they don't like Eric/Adam, Calleigh/Emily, or the E/C romance, i.e., because they support non-canon 'ships. I believe this might be one of the reasons why E/C keep getting brought up in so many non-'ship-related discussions on the general CSIM board -- like this topic -- regardless of whether or not they're really directly relevant to the subject matter.

In this regard, I really wish everyone could say what they mean and mean what they say, so we could have an open, honest, and hopefully, respectful, dialog here on the message board. I could totally respect an anti-E/C-shipper who steps up to the plate and says, "You know what, I'm sorry Eddie's leaving and Adam is coming back because I'm a DuCaine/CarWash fan, and with Eric/Adam gone, my couple could have had a chance." I wouldn't personally agree with this opinion, but I would appreciate the poster being a straight-shooter.:thumbsup: However, claiming that you don't want romance on CSIM when you're an avid non-canon shipper rings a bit hollow to me. Just my opinion. Of course, MY OBSERVATIONS DO NOT APPLY TO EVERYONE WHO'S AN ANTI-E/C-SHIPPER, OR WHO HAS RAISED E/C IN THIS AND OTHER THREADS. There are some folks who have bona fide issues with the way the E/C romance has been written (and who would have the same complaints if another 'ship were written the same way); who don't believe in any 'ships at all on crime dramas; and/or who genuinely welcomed Eddie's addition to the show in his own right. Naturally, this post does not address those people.

It's just that I've found that discussions get sort of muddled -- and fan-wars and mistrust among fans abound -- when unstated, ulterior motives become the "1,000-pound Gorilla in the Living Room." ;)

P.S.: This post is in no way meant to knock Eddie, since I've always been, and remain, neutral about him and his CSIM character, Jesse. I wish Eddie the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  12. snowbunny

snowbunny Hit and Run

When CBS does NOT want to negotiate your contract with you, you pretty much don't have much of a choice but to persue other job opportunities. And you know what, I would be just as disappointed if it was Jon, Eva or Rex that was in Adam's shoes last year and I would have wanted them back just as much.

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Kind of harsh... hatred and sycophants, hmmm...

14. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

Not me... Of these three, the only one I would be sad to see leave would be Rex. No offense to their fans, but Eva and Jon could leave tomorrow and it wouldn`t effect me one bit... As for Cibrian, I actually find him very good looking, but lacking personality and charisma... he just didn`t capture my interest at all and I don`t think he added anything to the show. I know some people are comparing him to Rory, but... really?!? Rory was all about personality!!!

15. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Well fortunately for their fans and the show as well,none of those three(Jon,Eva or Rex) are leaving right now.