Original writers?

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by daisymay, Jul 25, 2010.

1. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Can one of you knowledgable folk tell me who the original writers were/are? Don't quite know how to define 'original' - maybe series 1 and 2.

2. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

Go and search in the episode guide at trhe top of the page....unfortunaely they were the best the show's ever had and they're probably mostly gone by now:rolleyes:

3. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Thank you! Why didn't I think of that?

4. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

In case you haven't gone to the episode guides yet (or if some are curious), just wanted to give a relatively small breakdown of some of the prominent ones from yesteryear. :lol:

Ann Donahue
    Liz Divine
    Steve Maeda
    Corey Miller
    Matt Witten
    Ildy Modrovich
    Marc Dube
    John Haynes

If I recall, aside from the exec producers on the list, Marc Dube is pretty much the only one who has written some of the more recent episodes ('All Fall Down'). I really miss most of the ones above. :(

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  5. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

I agree. Those were the glory days!

Just out of curiosity, I did a search of writers and directors between Miami and Criminal Minds. I noticed something rather interesting.

We all know about Miami and its inconsistencies, dropped storylines, disappearing characters, etc., etc. At the same time, CM seems to be keeping everything fairly continuous, varied and consistent. Ends up CM has had pretty much the same writers who are familiar with the plots and characters, and I'm pretty sure CM is all they do. Miami, on the other hand, has had a round robin of writers and directors who don't always seem to know what's going on.

6. hahagirl

hahagirl Hit and Run

That is a good point.

7. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

I've just had an indulgent few hours watching some of series 1. I'd forgotten how 'different' it is from recent stuff. The dialogue is so sharp. And H is so different. All right, 8 years or so have passed, and people change, but he seems much less self conscious (in its truest sense) of being the king of the crime lab. He's far more rude too, e.g. 'Look what the cat dragged in,' and 'you people couldn't find your ass with both hands'. Rather enjoyed it! I got the feeling the present writers are a bit too aware of his status, which has an effect of making him less 'human'. (This the most human guy you could think of.) All power to DC for keeping as much continuity as he can, considering he has to work with the lines he's given.

(Afraid this is wandering off-topic a bit.)

8. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Definitely agree.In addition to dropped story lines,etc,the characters don't even keep the traits that they started with.Even though the characters are the same,it's as if the writers are writing for a different chracter all together.

9. nwolfson22

nwolfson22 Police Officer

This is such a great topic and conversation. I agree with the above points. I too was watching S1/S2 this past week/weekend and just watched some S7 last night...such a huge difference. I wish they had not done this round robin with the writers. I am kind of curious as to why this is being done, along with the directors, they come into Miami, direct a season, and then they are moved or leave the show.
    I wish we had access to Ann D. to ask her these questions. It doesn't make any sense to me at least. How can you continue to produce a top quality show when everyone is always coming and going?

10. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

In other words, more like a cop from New York who hates IAB. As much so as television will permit, anyway.

Not just DC.

11. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Ohhh I miss these old writers!They're much better than the ones in the show today.

12. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I think we all feel this way. I particularly dislike when a character's history or some trait of the character is changed to fit a story.If something about the character needs to be changed for a story, it's the story that needs some tweeking.The previous writers also didn't have everything so glamourized,crime took place in various neighborhoods,etc.

13. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

Sigh, I loved Corey Miller soooo much, he's one of my favs. I miss him so much, I think he should pop in for a new episode of season 9, you know to help out writing it. He was so EC friendly, such a good writer....:rolleyes:

14. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

I've just realised one of the things I really dislike in the later stuff (still on Season 8 in the UK, of course), is the fact that they're actually making everyone interchangeable. However much individual screentime they get - another complaint of mine - there is no attempt at playing up individual skills. Interviewing suspects? Might be Frank, or Calleigh, or H... Or it might not. Various lab skills? Could be anyone who happens to be handy, or who needs an extra scene. Their worst sin, IMO, is not to let H anchor it. This week (#804), you wouldn't even know he's the boss. What a waste! In the older stuff, even in episodes I wasn't that keen on, this never seemed to happen. Particular skills, or even odd bits of peripheral knowledge, drifted in and out of the main plot completely naturally.

The other thing that really upsets me, even though it's trivial, is when the writers don't keep to the things that had become so routine over the years - I mean the 'shape' of an episode. It starts with a crime, then a shot of H, then (hopefully) a one-liner, shades on, and into the titles. And it ends with a shot of H, always, before the end credits. It's things like this that make it an old friend, and I think it's disrespectful, and unnecessary, to alter it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010