What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets!!I love these books.

2. Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel Rookie

ahh they're so great, CoS is my favorite one! :D

3. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

Danielle Steel's new release Family Ties. Almost finished and very good. I have almost finished it in just a little over a week. I recommend it if you like her stuff, it is one of her best ones.

4. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Nimitz Class by Patrick Robinson. The US government thinks that Iran has had a Nimitz Class aircraft carrier, the Thomas Jefferson, vaporized killing all 6000 on board. They believe this was done with a nuclear tipped torpedo fired from a missing Russian 'Kilo' class submarine. They haven't found the missing sub yet but they did take out Iran's 3 submarines in retaliation.

It gets complicated but it's good.

Susan

5. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I finished 'The Pickle King' and really enjoyed it. The only flaw was that the kids (the girls especially) sometimes sounded really shrill and whiny, but then kids do, so I suppose that's a good thing in terms of making the characters realistic/human, but it was a bit hard on the ears!

I enjoyed 'All Gone to Look for America' a lot too, particularly the bits about New York, Chicago, and New Orleans.

I'm now reading Joe Speedboat by Tommy Wieringa. It's about a boy called Frankie who after an accident finds himself wheelchair-bound, able to move only his right arm, unable to talk. He meets Joe Speedboat, the crazy new kid in town. Joe's father was killed in an accident, after which the boy created the identity 'Joe Speedboat' for himself. Joe is already the talk of Frankie's small Dutch town after he makes and explodes bombs that don't hurt people but nonetheless wreak havoc in the small, quiet, staid, town. He befriends Frankie and changes his life, getting him involved in his various crazy schemes (like building a plane so they can spy on a classmate's mother who supposedly walks around naked in her garden!), encouraging him to become a champion arm wrestler, and to go after the girl of his dreams (who is the daughter of the lady who walks around naked in her garden).
    So far, I'm just up to the bit where they've decided to build a plane.
    I'm enjoying it so far, the characters, Joe and Frankie especially, are very well drawn. Their small Dutch town and it's inhabitants are also described very well.

6. Grissom rules

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban!!

7. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

oooooh! that one is my favorite! i remember when it came out i bought it and finished it the same day! love Harry Potter!

8. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. It's about a young girl growing up and coming of age in 1912 Brooklyn. Enjoying it so far.

9. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I just read 'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton and really enjoyed it. It's about a 14 year old boy, Ponyboy, growing up in Oklahoma. Ponyboy lives with his two brothers, Darry and Sodapop (their parents are dead). Ponyboy and his brothers are 'greasers', a gang of poor kids who wear their hair long and with lots of oil, commit petty crimes and fight with the 'Socs', the rich kids from the other side of town. But Ponyboy is not like the other greasers. He wants more from life than to grow up poor and into a criminal. He's smart and quiet, and reads and draws a lot. Much as he values the sense of belonging and family that he has with the 'greasers', as the book progresses he begins to see the pointlessness of gang lifestyle and warfare, particularly after one night a confrontation with the Socs goes too far.
    The story is about Ponyboy growing up and trying to figure out what he wants from life, his changing relationships, especially with his older brother Darry, who like him doesn't really belong in the 'greaser' world.

I'm now reading 'Sprout' by Dale Peck which is about a gay teenager moving from Long Island to Kansas with his alcoholic dad after his mother dies.

On audiobook, I'm listening to 'The Crossroads' by Chris Grabenstein. It's about a boy called Zack who moves from New York to Connecticut with his dad and stepmother. In their backyard is a creepy old oak tree, and when Zack learns of the road accidents that have occured there, he begins to suspect there's an evil spirit living inside it. It's pretty good and creepy so far, especially as as well as Zack's story we also get the stories of some of the town's residents with various wandering spirits, and with the evil oak tree itself.
    Chris Grabenstein also wrote the fantastic Jersey Shore/Ceepak mysteries, and the Christopher Miller holiday thrillers for adults which I like a lot too.

10. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

1984 by George Orwell. One of my favorite form high school advanced reading.

11. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I'm superstitious about posting in this thread. The reason: last 2 times I posted in it, where I was in the book was as far as I got...which wasn't even half way. I feel like it's safe to make this post without jynxing anything because I'm starting chapter 24 of 29 chapters. I'm over half way through this book.

I'm reading Marked by P.C. Cast and her daughter Kristin Cast. At Books-A-Million, this book is in the TEEN section. It's the first in a series. Right now there are 7 books in the series available to buy. The 8th one comes out, I believe, in January 2011.
    This one is a good book. It must be or I wouldn't have read as far in to it as I have...with or without posting in this thread.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  12. Grissom rules

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire.

The Harry Potter marathon has just started!:guffaw:

13. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

*Comes in grinning ear to ear, ocassionally patting self on back and shaking my left hand with my right hand*
    Why all ^the fuss^??? I FINISHED THE BOOK. I've decided next book I read, I'm gonna get over half way through it before I post.

14. Joycie84

Joycie84 CSI Level One

I'm reading An Offer You Can't Refuse by Jill Mansell. It's about Lola, who lives in London. She is a very hip and impulsive young woman who has a boyfriend named Dougie. His mother isn't really happy with the relationship and she offers Lola a lot of money so that she leaves Dougie. When Lola's stepfather has some money trouble, she decides to take the money and end it with Doug. With pains in her heart. Several years later, Lola and Doug run into each other and she discovers that she still has feelings for him. But he didn't forget what Lola did. Will she win him back???

It's a real chicklit, but awesome. And so much fun to read Jill Mansell books. This is one for the girls!!

15. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

The Picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde

It's about this guy who wishes he can be young and beautiful foreverwhen a friend paints a portrait of him. Soon he realizes that he got his wish when he remains perfect and his portrait starts to age and decay. It ages and decays not just from time, but from Dorian's lifestyle of drugs, alcohol, women etc. The portrait shows him what his soul really looks like.

I just barely started reading it. I was inspired to read it from watching clips of the movie Dorian Gray starring Ben Barnes. It'll come out on DVD in America soon so I thought I'd give it a shot.