The Last Movie You Saw - Thread 4

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, May 4, 2010.

1. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Paper Moon.

It's about a nine-year-old girl, Addie, whose mother dies. She's travelling across Depression-era America (I freaking love Depression-era stuff) with a man named 'Daddy Moses' or 'Moze', a man who met her mother in a bar and who may be her father, although he vehemently denies it. He's a conman. His speciality is selling so-called 'deluxe' Bibles to the grieving widows of men who have died recently that Moze has found in the obituary pages. He tells them their husbands had ordered the Bibles as a gift shortly before they died. Addie helps him. It's a really great film, with Ryan O'Neal as Moze and Tatum O'Neal as Addie. Addie is really funny, she has real smarts and attitude, although only nine she refuses to take any of Moze's crap. As they travel across the country they encounter corrupt cops and bootleggers and grow closer, too.
    Very good film, IMO. One of those that has a very small cast, it's really pretty much just Ryan and Tatum O'Neal for much of the film, and is very strong because of that.

2. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

Remember Me
    I wanted to see this to find out if Robert Pattinson is a good or a bad actor. Unfortunately, I still don't know, because just like in the Twilight saga, there was no acting, at least there was no need to act through the whole movie. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but his character is so weird and simple, I don't think he needed to use any special acting skills to portray Tyler. I wanted some action, but there was none. Some parts are really good, though. Oh, and the end is shocking. I'd rate it 6/10.

3. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I loved Paper Moon. :)

Just saw Predators last night and I really liked it. I mean, it actually had decent actors, so I'm guessing that helps, particularly in this type of genre. Adrian Brody was awesome, and totally fit the part. Lawrence Fishburne has a small but interesting role as well. The action was cool, the story kept me interested throughout, the predators were cool, the acting performances were all sound... all in all, I think if you like these types of films- and the first Predator movie, of course- then I think you'll dig this one. AVP this is NOT! :lol:

4. kittydu

kittydu Hit and Run

Ninja assasin and shrek 3

I really liked ninja assasin.. sometimes its was to much blood , but its was a good movie and storyline. But my favorite movie of this tipe would always be kill bill, but it was nice to past the time.

and about shrek 3 .. it was funny, I enjoyed and I think the storyline it was cute and left you a really good message :D

5. Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel Rookie

Inception.

I don't go insane over many movies, I can definitely count on one hand. Christopher Nolan never disappoints me (Memento comes to mind..) but this was absolutely AMAZING.

I would seriously consider giving it 10/10. It was absolutely incredible. I've seen it twice now since it opened yesterday, and I still can't get over it. I can't urge everybody to see it enough! You HAVE to see it! It's impossible to exlain or take somebody else's word for it.

I would safely say that this is the best film I have ever seen. I reccommend it to everybody. Leonardo DiCaprio gave a stellar performance, and Marion Cotillard was awesome. The entire cast had an amazing chemistry. The whole film is just indescribable, it captures your attention and you get so wraped up in everything. It really includes the viewer, and you have to view it actively..

Just...Outstanding! It's already got a 9.3/10 rating on IMDb and is #83 on the top 250 movies of all time. There's already some Oscar buzz too, and let me tell you it deserves it.

6. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

"PREDATORS" We just went to see this for Laurence Fishburne but the movie itself so fake. I detest Sci-Fi, all these people running around in a alien jungle with unlimited ammunition, so off the wall shooting foreign little wart hog looking creatures, chasing after them, and aliens that never seem to die. Way to much Adrien Brody, and the rest of the characters, are just OK. One guy [don't know his name] was the freak serial killer in "Empty Eyes" still freaky. They never sleep, eat, drink anything or do their business. Fake.:rolleyes: An hour into finally Laurence Fishburne finally came on the screen. [he did feed them] What a treat to see him on a big theater screen. His presence is overwhelming. His broad shoulders and big hunky muscular arms. [he must work out] he looks like a quarterback football player. He's been living in this jungle alone for 10 years and is creepy, crazy and talks in low whispers, and spews profanities left and right. He's the best thing in this suck movie. What a powerful riveting actor.:bolian:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000401/news#ni3096213

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1424381/

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  7. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Predators. What a waste of time and money. I hadn't seen the other two films before so I let myself be surprised. What a bore and it wasn't even that bloody. I had been afraid that I would be scared because of the rating but ... no!

2012. Hm, ok, it's supposed to be a popcorn movie - and it was - but I didn't like the characters and where was the plot? OK, apocalypse films don't need plots but still. I didn't expect much so I wasn't too disappointed.

8. BabaOReilly

Yes Laurence Fishburne was really good but... to condemn a movie after you say you "detest sci-fi"? Kind of seems to make your review pointless, doesn't it? Too much Adrian Brody? He was the star of the film! :lol:

9. Desertwind

I prefaced this review "PREDATORS" with stating "we just went to see Laurence Fishburne", and he was to me way out of his realm. He was fantastic, but to us, the movie wasn't. And I know that Brody was the star, but he was not our interest. So a person who liked one character, doesn't necessarily have to enjoy the whole film;)

10. Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel Rookie

PREDATORS - Could've been worse. I wouldn't consider myself a sci-fi fan, but I loved Avatar and this wasn't bad. Although if I'm going to be completely honest, I didn't like Laurence Fishburne being cast in it, and tbh I don't think his performance was that great...I can't really explain why. Adrian Brody gave a great performance IMO but I like the other Predator movies better. Still, the cinematography and special effects are really really good. The soundtrack was quite good, too! Although 2D movies are $14.75 here and I consider it a waste.

GROWN UPS - absolute worst movie I have ever seen in my whole life.

INCEPTION - Well, I've seen this movie 3 times now.. It's already made it to #3 on the IMDb top 250, passing the Godfather II, Schindler's List, The Dark Knight, Toy Story 3, Casablanca, and many more which is incredible. My review of this stands the same as my last post, I've enjoyed it more and more everytime I've seen it. Seriously, if anybody is making a trip to the theatre this week, PLEASE SEE THIS FILM. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED; GUARENTEED.

11. BabaOReilly

Yes, I saw your introductory comments, and yet still the fact remains: How seriously can someone take a critique when the author admits to despising the genre? Why even post a review at all?

Far be it from me to limit freedom of speech... especially since that leaves me open to voice my own as well. ;)

12. Desertwind

I see that others disliked this film as well, and it's the 'movie' thread, whether a good review or not, like a critic does, That's my prerogative to post my thoughts on a movie. We also saw "Armored", not to long ago, and not good either, so if someone dislikes a film, I don't come on and slam their opinions on the particular film. It's their business to comment on the movie as they see it. I'm a Laurence Fishburne fan, and will go see anything he's in regardless of the quality. BTW, loved "Shutter Island" A+:bolian:

13. BabaOReilly

Yes, others disliked the film as well, but they probably didn't go into the movie hating the entire concept to begin with... that certainly takes a certain type of viewer, doesn't it? But hey, it corresponds that there's also the type of person out there who will read a review from an unreliable source and decide it's worth listening to; takes all kinds I guess. ;)

And as for reviewing... took a trip down memory lane and decided to watch IT last night, aka the TV movie of Stephen King's novel of the same name. Now, there are only maybe 3-5 movies out there that have ever scared me, so a TV movie is definitely not going to affect me that way, but back in the day I actually read this book and I have to say that for a movie that a) is made for TV; b) takes place in the 90's; and c) stars John Boy from the Waltons sporting an appalling ponytail, it's not half bad! :lol:

Yeah, the effects are cheesey, it's not that scary (unless you find clowns scary, of course, and many people do) and... well, it's pretty dated. But honestly, since King horror adaptations seem to be hit or miss (mostly miss), it's really an entertaining little mini-series. If you're a King fan and can get past the cheese factor prevalent in most 80's/90's films, you might want to give this a look-see sometime, just for kicks. :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  14. Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel Rookie

Sorry, I don't mean to get in the middle of this, but I saw Shutter Island mentioned and I don't think I posted my thoughts on that yet, and feel I should.

I LOVED Shutter Island. It was a classical Scorsese thriller and it lived up to the hype. I love how Leonardo DiCaprio has evolved into a very serious and BAMF actor. (The Departed, Revolutionary Road, Inception, Shutter Island, etc.) You could definitely see the twists coming, but they were excellent. The direction was amazing and I loved to low brow effects that Scorsese went with. It was under excellent direction, and the acting was top notch. (Leonardo DiCaprio, Sir Ben Kingsly, etc.) When I first saw this, I remember thinking that it might get some Oscar recognition but after seeing Inception, I'm convinced that Inception should win Best Original Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Picture.

Now that's out of the way, I wanna get my two cents in. If somebody says they hate a genre before they review a film of that genre, of course it takes the credibility out of the review, but these aren't professional reviews! It gives an outsider's account of what they saw. She stated why she went, what she saw, and what she thought. Wouldn't it have been worse if she hadn't stated that didn't like sci-fi? Keep in mind that this thread is for more amateur reviews. If you want impeccable ones with a majority concensus, you need RottenTomatoes or IMDb.

15. BabaOReilly

I too loved Shutter Island. Seems like a lot of people I know slammed it, but I thought it was cinematically very cool.

And as for the other... I'm not saying you can't post what you think on here- it is a discussion board after all. However, if I think what you say is ridiculous, I am going to point it out- it is a discussion board after all. ;)