It's Official! Sela Ward Joins CSI: NY!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Jul 13, 2010.

1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

After yesterday's news that Melina would be leaving the show, and a rumor that Sela Ward would be joining the show to fill the void, news has broken that Sela Ward is indeed joining the NY spin-off!

From Ausiello:

How do you think Sela will fit in with the rest of the well-established cast members? Sela was originally offered the role of Megan Donner from CSI: Miami, but passed. Things should be interesting!

And we have an official PR from CBS!

UGH!

2. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Wow! I didn't expect her to accept the offer! What the? I don't think she will be payed less than Melina. And it seems her character was planned before anything else! Sounds like new creative direction to me. That was fast! :eek:

Well I'm thrilled by this news! Yes I'm sad Melina/Stella is out but giving my favorite TV show a new source of life somehow uplifts my hope for more seasons of CSI: NY. I'm glad she's a fan of the show or Gary.

Looks like the premiere won't be dealing much as a resolution to the cliffhanger finale. An hour is not enough to solve the cliffhanger, introduce a new lead, solve new case/s and even explain Stella's absence. Well we have great writers. :thumbsup: This is so interesting.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

This is good news for the show I think. Sela Ward is a great actress, and I think her addition actually brings with it the chance for new viewers to check out CSI: NY, if for nothing other than curiosity's sake. I'm happy about it!

4. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

The show could do a hell of a lot worse than an Emmy winning actress.

I'm just going to wait and see at the end of September to decide whether I like her on the show or not.

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I agree. I really like Sela Ward and as long as they don't try to make the character like Stella I think it could be a good thing.

6. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I don't think I've seen that much of Sela Ward's work, but what I have seen I liked! Good addition to the show. :)

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I'm glad they went with Sela as opposed to some twenty-something who looks like a younger Melina (ie Megalyn Echinwoken coming in after Khandi Alexander left CSI: Miami).

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

^^I thought the same thing, GNRFan - Sela is a talented woman, and I'm glad they chose to replace Melina with an older woman instead of some young girl. (It might sound strange, but this casting makes me less worried about the character than if they'd cast Sarah Carter 2.0 - I'd like to think they'll avoid falling on some of the usual cliches with an actress like Sela on board. I could be proven wrong, but I hope I'm right! :lol:)

NY was very lucky to get an actress like Sela to take over for Melina. I love Melina, and I love Stella, but if she's leaving the show, this is one hell of a replacement! :D

I'm looking forward to learning more about this character (to be honest, the character description sounds like a pretty generic template, which gives them a lot of room to develop the character throughout the season), and I'm looking forward to how she meshes with the rest of the team. Tossing a new character into the mix could really stir the show up a bit, which is a good thing - NY has stagnated lately, and maybe this will add some new life.

I'm still skeptical about Melina's exit combined with the show being moved to Fridays (on top of the already-dwindling ratings), but at this point I want to be at least a little bit optimistic that Sela's addition to the cast could be a sign of good things to come. Maybe it'll reinvigorate the series - and at the very least, if season seven ends up being the show's last, maybe having a new person in the mix will keep everybody on their toes and churning out their absolute best one last time. :)

9. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I think thats what's keeping me is curiosity's sake now. I don't think i'd ever really stop watching but now more than ever I'm curious to how she will fill Stella's shoes.

I don't really know who she is but vaguely have recollection of her in House so I'm guessing thats a good thing if i remember who she was. I just hope they make her character different and give her something to add to the team rather than just take over Stella's shoes.

10. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I am still a wee bit stunned that Melina is leaving the show. But, I also agree that Sela Ward is a great actress to have joining for S7. This takes the edge off a bit and actually re-inspires hope for what the upcoming season could be. It's exciting news, it's good news, and equally surprising in its own way. Didn't expect them to find someone like Sela to come aboard. I'm glad to hear it. :)

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

this! tbh i don't know much about her, she's not so well known here i guess, but i'm interested to see how she fits in and it sounds like she has good credentials so, y'know, fair play to her.

12. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I say bring it on! I think it's wonderful that Sela Ward is joining the cast and her presence will be a breath of fresh air for the show. I was sort of fearful about the new season and this gives me hope that better things are coming.

13. MoonyGirl

MoonyGirl Pathologist

Will see, I'm interested to see what she's going to bring the serie. I'm still a bit sad that Melina left but I agree that they could have done much much more worse choice. I remember Sela from House and I liked her so I'm really looking forward to see what's going to happen. I just hope they aren't going to write her 'own' things than replacing Stella's that's not good I think. She's new so bring her new things and add something fresh and new to the show also. :)

I can't wait till the season starts. A lot of new things coming up I think/wish :)

14. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I will miss Stella and the special and unique relationship she had with Mac. I have only seen Sela Ward when she guest-starred on Frasier. I am impressed that TPTB have for once actually picked an older/mature actress to add to a show, rather some 20/30-year old. (Ward is one year younger than Gary).
    I mostly concerned about how they will write Stella out. They better do it well.
    I'm pleased Ward is a fan of the show, that suggests she should have a 'feel' for the characters and the team dynamics etc.

15. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Good luck Sela Ward!!I'm looking forward to new episodes as I really want to see her character on the show.