Melina Kanakaredes Leaves CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

Well personally, I've never felt attached to the character of Stella as much as I have with Catherine/Sara on CSI. I do agree that Stella's character is more deeper than the character of Lindsey, but Stella got on my nerves a lot more than I cheered her on. The reasons I watch New York are not because of the actors or characters, it's because Ifeel that New York has better written story lines. Just to stop watching a show just because a character leaves or your favorite actor/actress leaves is something that I've never understood. There's plenty of shows where I like actors/actresses that I choose not to watch because they seem poorly written and stupid. I still watch CSI even though I think there's been a void ever since William Petersen left, but I'm sure it's a matter of opinion.

Sorry for the long tirade there :lol: I ramble a bit :p

2. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

I can't write about this without coming across as crazy, so I am just going to say that I will not be watching this show anymore. Simple as that.

Melina's my favourite actress, playing my favourite character who's part of my favourite pairing on my favourite TV show. You can figure out how I feel about this.

3. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

mixed emotions & hodgepodge of reactions.

1) Whoa.

2) Best wishes to Melina on all her future projects. Her time on NY has ensured I will be curious about whatever she takes on. Startled and disappointed she won't be returning to the show for S7. Affectionate support for her where ever she decides to go next.

3) The timing of all this seems unusual. Not just the announcement of MK's departure, but of Ward being a likely addition to the show. Down to the very wire. Mulling.

3) Declined a Deal, which encompasses more than just a possible request to consider a "pay cut." Still. Another possible example of CBS hard-lining this year.

($$ was no doubt present as an issue, and possibly even negotiations on cuts to realize a tightened production budgetary tetris, but also not alone in what was discussed. It's just no one else's bidnez, is all).

At least Creative Reasons wasn't cited.

4) Selfishly: Lindsay apparently returns and Stella leaves? Ass-backwards of what I'd have liked, that's for sure. This could be very, very painful teevee viewing if Lindsay happens to feature more should airtime indeed be freed up.

5) Wonder what NY is gonna do with this? Story-wise etc., I mean. Doesn't sound like MK will be participating in the departure of her character. 'S all tricky business in the middle of a cliff-hanger.

I'm doubting that Melina will be returning to somehow give the character an exit, at least not to start the season. Depending on what has gone down and how, I suppose she could possibly return as a guest further in. Who knows.

6) The show could indeed do worse than Sela Ward joining the roster.

7) Selfishly & perhaps on teh ebil side: I will not miss the Smack debate of the sort that was recently fed by Twilit hype. At least, I will not miss that there will be no new fodder for it. I'm sure in itself and in FF that it will continue merrily on regardless. (Just IMO folks, nuthin more).

I will miss the dynamic that Stella created/contributed to, with regards to how she played among the cast of characters, and within stories.

8) Guess S7 is even more a pivotal one for the show. Lenkov gone. Cast shake up. New slot. Shift in showrunning dynamic. Other implied related residual shifts. Wobbly hit & miss preceding seasons.

As hard as the transitions might be, there are great opportunities amid the rubik's cube of contributing puzzle pieces. I hope the show manages to find its feet and a new resolve.

-

If Melina wasn't gonna be given scaled or relative parity within various terms with what other dramatic leads in similar shows are getting, and the trade off in a life sense wasn't worth what the network beanies were pitching, absolute kudos to her for walking away.

I don't know her, but of her, and I'm thinking it's MK's personality and presence as part of the show as much as Stella as a character that will be missed, especially by those she worked with.

-

As for the apparent number of female characters exiting shows. Noticeable when they are typically outnumbered by their male counterparts, especially on procedural type shows. What stood out to me more is that the show couldn't or wouldn't come to terms with a leading character, even if within an ensemblish show. That's the kicker there.

Wondering. What kind of terms Ward may be offered in coming aboard, esp. with this kind of timing. IE. how many eps she may be in and the like. What role her character will take on, show-wise and team-wise. If the show, its stories, and appearances will level out more across characters. Neither good nor bad, just curious. With Hill's tweet on (possible) additions plural, it sounds like that could (possibly) be the case.

-

As always, curiosity and hope for quality and content is what will determine whether I watch or not. I've come and gone from NY before. Vegas stumbled but has found its feet with their WP/LF transition. So who's to say.

I will miss Stella, and I wish MK well. I will not resist new characters and casting but see who they are and how they are integrated. I will not judge a season without seeing it first. As always, I will give the show a clean slate as I keep my glass half full.

Some big changes ahead for NY. Meaning also big opportunities & new license. I will be tuning in to see what they come up with.

-

Thank you Melina Kanakaredes, for the past six seasons on CSI:NY. The news inspires sadness & fondness, disappointment but also hope for you all at the same time. You will be missed, but you will also be supported wherever you go. Although it may be odd to some for me to phrase it this way, congratulations to you as well on new directions. I hope CSINY did right by you personally. I hope the show does right by all you've contributed, in how they handle the departure of your character as well. Best of luck and nothing but the best of wishes to you.

(I am not a hug person. ...But I think I'd be inclined to give you one as you go on your way :p)

Best,

:bolian:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  4. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Wow! What a shocker! I loved Mac and Stella together. Her departure will leave a big hole.

5. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I agree that a pay cut could have been one of the reasons she's leaving - but I sort of doubt it's the only one. I just hope that they'll be able to write her out of the show well, I really wish she would make an appearance at the start of the season. I now just hope that whoever they get to replace her will be a good fit with the show.

6. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/tv-news/shocker-melina-kanakaredes-to-exit-csi-ny/

Quote: "
    When Fancast spoke at length with Kanakaredes toward season’s end, she was high on the show she had called home since its launch. “This year for us has been a turning point, which is lovely,” she said. “[Episodes have been] fun and different and more character-driven…. It’s given everybody an opportunity to have a moment.”"

So... this seems to be much more than wanting to spend more time with her kids.

Lenkov is leaving as well? Interesting.
    As far as the potential that lies within the changes goes - when has CSI NY ever made use of the potential they were having? They had some great potential and I have only seen a fraction of it used.
    Now it's either build a new fanbase or kiss the show goodbye.

And what I hate the most is that we'll have to wait until September to see how they'll explain her absence.
    I also don't think it'll be possible to replace her. They can get a new character to the show but what she and Mac had was special.
    I also don't think they should try to replace her. They should make a fresh start with a new character, that's all. But Stella cannot be replaced.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Yeah, he's an executive producer on the new Hawaii Five-0 reboot.

8. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

Well, I wonder if MK's leaving has anything to do with that... that things she was assured would be included in her contract suddenly weren't anymore. Stuff like that.
    Guess we'll never find out though because I have a feeling we won't learn much more than we have about the reason for her departue.

Thinking about it now, all that MK stated was that she's made lifelong friendships on the show and didn't comment any further. Wouldn't she have said that she wants to spend time with her family if that were the true reason for her leaving? No reason to make a secret out of that.
    There has been, as far as I know, no official quote to confirm that, just Hill Harper saying so... and I'm sure he's not going to put anything other than "innocent" reasons on the internet.

I wish though there was a way to let MK know how much she was appreciated by those who appreciated her and wish her well. Like a fanpage or anything. Too bad she hasn't one.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  9. Nick_Wolfe_Danny

Nick_Wolfe_Danny Police Officer

I don't even know how to feel right now! I'm so bummed! Stella has always been my favorite female detective out of all the three CSI's. she will definably be missed. :(

I read on IMDB that they are thinking of bringing in Sela Ward for Mac's new partner.
    I think Sela could do a pretty good job?

10. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Sela Ward was offered the role of Megan Donner on CSI: Miami--but turned it down. Will she accept a role on NY? Time will tell. Hmm.

11. CCA

CCA Police Officer

Wow, this :censored:ing sucks!!!!! I like Stella, I thought she potrayed a strong willed character that didn't rub me the wrong way. Though I didn't agree with somethings she did, I liked her and thought her to be more realistic then some of the other females.

Guess I'll go write a violent fanfic or maybe I'll just go play Modern Warefare because this sucks :(

12. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Of all the cast why Melina? I mean, she has been the most active in interviews, promotions, buzz etc. lately all over TV and the Internet. In her interviews, she seemed to be very happy and excited to give some spoilers and hints. Then, suddenly she would just "leave" the show just like that? I think it's more than money problems. What if this is part of CBS' new creative direction that CSI and Criminal Minds are undergoing? Maybe CBS made a contract where Melina has to either accept or give up - no talks. It seems CBS gave up so damn easily negotiating with her. Why Sela Ward's name just came out so fast? What ever it is, CBS wants to take the least blame.

I wish Melina the best. I'm not sure I will follow her next TV / movie project. In my opinion, she played Stella the best! She is perfect as a TV cop/detective/CSI. Maybe if she will play as a detective in Law & Order: Los Angles (or other TV show in the future) I might check that show out since it's on Wednesday 10pm this fall.

13. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

This news merits me coming out of the woodwork. Wow, this is just totally out of left field. It feels like having the rug pulled from underneath me. It's such a shame that we're seeing a strong-willed female character leaving the show. First, Angell. Now, Stella. Why couldn't it have been Lindsay? Why? Why? To add insult to injury, we'll probably never get closure. This sucks! :scream: :censored:

14. shippyangel

shippyangel Rookie

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! :(

15. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

I am sad about the news, but certainly wish her the best. I truly hope the powers that be give her character a graceful exit (no death, please?!), and that the "gang" can move on. Perhaps she can make a guest appearance once in a while? Well, once?