Melina Kanakaredes Leaves CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

That was my instant thought what are CBS doing with all there female characters first Criminal Minds and now NY its crazy.

I just hope that they end her arc well and don't make up a really lame excuse cos its got to work with the cast and storyline so its believable and not some of the crazyness that the writers can come up with and try make us believe.

Its a definite bummer and someone i sure wasn't expecting.

It sounds strange but with all the shake ups across CBS i'm kinda more intrigued than ever to see whats going to happen to these shows. I hope it doesn't mean a downfall in NY tho its always had the edge for me and its being slowly pushed to the side where i think Vegas should really be.

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The sad thing is it's really easy to write a character out without needing the actress. Stella could get killed off (i.e., car accident) and they wouldn't have to show anything except everyone's reaction to her death.

What will be difficult is bringing in a new character to an already established team. And if it goes as smoothly as Lindsay replacing Aiden did I will hurl my TV out the window. That is if I'm still watching by then.

3. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Gary confirms via Twitter:

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Another Tweet from Gary:

5. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

OK guys you can shoot me:rolleyes::rolleyes:

but I have to express myself I'm sorry for Melina but about Stella finally dreams come true this news make my day:)

6. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Why is it that the females (except Marg, I guess) are the ones expected to take the hits? Well, I guess most of the showrunners are male and sexism is rearing its ugly head again. I can't do much to impact their decision making, but (despite adoring Gary Sinise) I can withold my viewership. I will no longer watch the series because I interpret this as TPTB forcing MK to make an unacceptable choice. I don't blame her for refusing a pay cut. Had she chosen to leave for some other reason, I could watch the show but, in all honesty, it will never be as good without her. The chemistry (friendship, professional relationship, et al) between Stella and Mac is irreplaceable. Pity because it had become my favorite of the three CSIs. Principles matter to some of us, even if not among the Hollywood powers. *shakes head in sadness*

7. Moska

Moska Dead on Arrival

I'll just say that for myself, I'm done with the show. I have no wish to stick around and see what 20-something they trot out 3x a season to TRY and create chemistry with Gary so that Mac can have a romance... If they kill her off...well, at this point what do I care what they do. Just wish they'd contemplate her going off for a year to teach at the FBI Academy for a year or something... Or in my little world, she and Mac finally figure out what they mean to each other, and she leaves for another division so they can be together. I rather like my rose-tinted glasses, tyvm.

:sigh:
    This hurts.

8. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

rahkira, all the show-runners for the CSI series are female. Carol Mendelsohn for CSI, Ann Donahue for Miami and Pam Veasey for NY.

9. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I have to say that I am shocked by this news. I really did not see this coming. And they might not even be able to write an exit for her in the Season Premiere? Wow.

As far as a 20-something replacement goes, the article suggested Sela Ward might join the show - she's probably about the same age as Gary.

10. EngleBarn

EngleBarn Rookie

These news are probably the most awful news I've had all summer, Melina leaving will kill the show, at least for me it will. Melina was the reason i started watching CSI:NY, she was the reason i stuck with the show even through season 6, Mac and Stella's relationship was what was keeping the show up for me, and seeing that we will never even get a final episode where they at least say goodbye and thanks for is it 11 years as partners now, makes me wonder what is going on.

I respect Melina's decision though, she has been on the show from day one, she is the female lead and an amazing actress, i wouldn't take a paycut either if it had been me. There are other awesome jobs out there that she can get, hopefully we will see her in another show or on the big screen soon again.

11. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

I just try to think words to describe how i feel. And I cna only say i love all people who make this show but i can't follow without Melina. Melina was the reason i am here. And Melina is the reason why i have to say goodbye. Nobody will be able to replace Stella mou. Darn! when i think how rich stories could have been written with her![​IMG]
    All dreams I had are broken and vanished now,[​IMG] Smacked will never happen and any character with whoever will take her place[​IMG]
    And new romances will be created for Mac but the one that would have been the only one correct never happened

I just can't follow. I send a hugs to all my smackies. I love all of you and specially to my soul sister.
    Sister, i will miss you terribly[​IMG] I will be thinking of you all teh time and wishing you are ok. You will be in my heart forever

I just can't stand the idea of the show without Stella. I can't[​IMG]

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

same here...

i got that impression too - to me it would be a total cop out (oops, once again no pun intended!) to write a "background" exit, but it did seem to imply that that's that - unless of course they knew it was possible while filming the last season and filmed a contingency?

yeah, that was a nice tweet :)

13. LensWideOpen

LensWideOpen Victim

Of course will be watching Season Seven. Are you kidding that Melina would influence watching the show for me? ROFL - she was the reason I skipped some episodes [those centered around her character] but with her leaving I'm only more likely to view now.

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I don't believe that it is the showrunners at fault. I believe it is CBS execs themselves, most of which are male, save for a few like Nina Tassler.

Sela Ward is supposedly at the top of the list to be the replacement. She is probably around Melina's age, if not a little older.

15. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

Sella Ward is born july 11th 1956 so she is around same age of Gary Sinise