Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:cool:I believe this type of comment also helps re-energize David himself for the coming year as well as cast members and fans. He understands the importance of coming into a new filming season with high hopes and a clear mind. Pumping 'em up is one of his strengths.

2. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I have no doubt whatsoever that you are right, Inthewind. I hope that David's high hopes and positive outlook comes from a real knowledge of good things to come! :)

3. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

I once thought that would be possible, but I'm not betting the ranch, now that there's been a lot of trumpeting and fanfare about Adam Rodriguez coming back. Goodbye CSI Miami, hello Eric Loves Calleigh.

If David Caruso IS the lead actor, it's hard to tell from where I'm sitting.

4. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I don't see why it couldn't just end & they stay friends, to be quite honest. Some may argue that some fans have invested too much into the storyline, but to be perfectly honest, who cares? We've all been invested in certain characters or storylines, & when those storylines or characters move on then we have no choice but to do the same. The E/C storyline should not be an exception.

As far as being reasonable, well, this is tptb & 'logic' is non-existant to them. IF (and obviously this isn't what tptb want, unfortunatly) they wanted them to split in order to move the show forward they would just leave it at "this isn't working" & voila, the storyline is in the toity like so many others in the past. With this show they don't even need a real reason for them to break up -- they'd just do it & then focus on other storylines until enough time passed for the 2 to share scenes without it being akward with the characters. I stress though, that's IF that's what tptb wanted & I'm certainly not suggesting it is. Sadly.

So, yes, IMO there are ways around this storyline & ways to "fix it". It's a matter of tptb seeing that it's damaging to thier show... which obviously, is something they can't see. :rolleyes:

5. CSI17

CSI17 Hit and Run

Okay. It's been too long since I posted anywhere. :lol: First of, I'm SHOCKED that Jesse's out of Miami so Delko can stay. ( If that is true. I hope it's not. )

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  6. 1brattygirl

1brattygirl Dead on Arrival

I love cahlie ducane,but lately da shows writers have been makeing her look more like a slut than they should:u

7. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:(Sad that CSI NY is losing its female lead; Melina was a tremendous asset. Most fans of this thread couldn't help but feel jealous; wrong show, wrong female lead.
    :pSeveral online media suggested NY steal a new lead from one of the other CSI shows. MAY WE SUGGEST (with or without excess baggage) ....................................................

8. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I am seriously going to miss her. She was my favorite character on CSI NY. This really blind-sided me. I didn't see it coming at all.

You can say that a million times over!

With the failure to renew the contract for A.J. Cook and they cut back Paget Brewster on Criminal Minds, didn't renew Liz Vassey from CSI, and now Melina from CSI NY (reportedly Melina refused to take a pay cut), ya gotta wonder what they hell they're smokin' over at CBS that such talented actresses are being allowed to leave while actresses who are less than mediocre are allowed to keep their position and continue to damage what was once a viable show.

While I LOVE CSI NY, Procter has stated she just LOVED working with Gary Sinise (to the point of nausea) ... so pack her up and send her on her way! I wouldn't mind if she took Rodriguez with her. I love Sinise, but with Melina gone I'll probably be watching NY less and less. So if we can help 'em out by donating Procter and Rodriguez, well ... I'm willing to make the sacrifice! :guffaw:

Oh ... what I would GIVE to have Melina as the lead actress on CSI Miami!!!! Even the actress they are mentioning as her replacement, Sela Ward! With either of them they could actually give an adrenaline injection into CSI Miami and possibly bring it back to life.

CSI Miami is dying a horrible death with a very tired, very boring storyline focused on two tired, boring, played out characters. It's like watching a horrible train wreck or highway accident. You try desperately to look away, but somehow you can't.

And in the end, when the show is cancelled (and I believe if they continue to make it the Eric Loves Calleigh show it will be after this season) they'll have no one to blame but ALL those who insisted that this storyline remain the focus of the show.

I find it interesting that Melina is reportedly leaving because she refused to take a pay cut. It begs the question if others in contract negotiations knew they were less in demand elsewhere and took the cut to come back to, or to remain in their current position. ;) Because they certainly aren't more important than she is to their show.

I truly wish Melina well and, as with Eddie, I'll be watching for, and supporting, her future projects!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  9. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

And could she take someone else with her?!!!:rolleyes:

I will miss her as well. I loved her relationship with Mac; it shows yes, a man and woman CAN work together without romantic involvement (CSI:M take notes). The "official" (note quotation marks) word is that she wants to spend more time with her family but the other explanation makes more sense. And I believe Adam is back primarily because he overestimated his marketability.

Sela Ward would be an excellent replacement!! I doubt we'll see anymore injections of new blood on CSI:M, not with those two and this tired storyline around.

I agree that is E/C continues to be the focus of the show and with the move to Sunday nights, CSI:M will be history after this season. Fans of the other characters have had about enough of seeing their favorites shoved aside for this mess and if they don't delivery on focusing on the WHOLE "core cast", fans will leave in droves.

If things continue going the way they are going and the show does tank, I don't think anyone ANYONE will get it. I am sure they will end up with the deer in the headlights look, stratch their heads (and some cases if no resolution scream) and wonder what went wrong? Isn't this what everyone wanted?:rolleyes:

10. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I think they are going to pull the same "bait and switch" crap that they pulled last season. Start out with episodes that in general focus on the team, or at the very least focus on elements other than E/C. Lull the anti-E/C viewers into a sense of confidence that they are not going to have to deal with E/C being the focus of the show and get them to start believing that they are truly going to define the "core cast" as everyone associated with the team and not just E/C.

Then 4 or 5 episodes in pull the switch and again make E/C the focus and everyone else the support for E/C. We'll be lucky if we see our favorite characters once in a while and then it will only be in support of E/C or for E/C to kick the crap out of (as in poor Ryan).

The rest of the time will be spent watching Calleigh strut around in her cat suit with Eric crawling behind her just in case she needs him to lick something off her boots at crime scenes, or them trying to be cute in the lab, or them trying to appear to have sex - and doing it real bad. [​IMG]

Bingo! You nailed it exactly, MiamiWolfe! They will be completely and totally cluess about what happened. Because they are so myopic and so focused on what one group of very loud fans are shouting they want to see, they have no idea what the rest of the fans of the show are saying. Rodriguez really sounded shocked in that interview. What a very pathetic statement that is for how in touch he, and everyone, is with the fans of their own show.

There is a very large seqment of the fanbase who has been very loudly complaining for YEARS about this pathetic nomance storyline and it's taken Rodriguez THIS LONG to hear about it. Where the hell has he been? In a cave?

Yep. When fans are leaving in droves and the ratings continue their downhill slide straight into the crapper, we know which ones will be standing around scratching their heads and wondering what happened. And we know which ones will be smiling and saying they knew it was coming and have projects lined up and ready to go.

I already know one person as a project on the burner waiting. ;)

11. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

I too was sad to hear about Melinda's departure from CSI:NY - and I also wonder about the possibility of "stealing" a female lead from another CSI show (or even a secondary character)...

I honestly do not dislike Emily Procter, although I think some of her acting over the past couple of years seems a bit "over the top" at times - I preferred it more when she was subtle with her emotions, like fighting back tears when Hagen killed himself or Speed died - I don't like this "distraught" Calleigh who's just pining over Eric and losing all sense of responsibility to the team. I don't know how she'd fit in in NY, but she's not the one I would look to leave the show, personally - as far as I'm concerned it's Delko that has been the cause of all this drama since Season 4, and I'm not too fond of him anymore (not that I was to begin with - when I heard a character was dying in Season 3, I was actually hoping it would be Delko, and then they killed my fav. character Speed instead :( (I didn't know about the actor not wanting to come back at the time...)

Anyhow, different opinions, even here, but the feeling is still the same. Calleigh and Eric together are just NOT WORKING - it's all FORCED chemistry - they turned a pretty decent friendship, IMHO, into something that is raunchy and hurting the characters and their integrity. I'd like see Calleigh without Eric again, and I think she could make a comeback if Eric wasn't "doggin'" after her like he's in heat. And he offered no real explanation for his betrayal of the team - he's not sorry for it, or for not telling Cal, anyway, so why should she trust him? There are plenty of other CSIs who've proven they're much more trustworthy than Delko. For example, I didn't believe for a minute that H chose Ryan to cover up his "murder" b/c Delko was his buddy and he wanted to protect him. No - it was b/c he knew Delko couldn't handle the job - that he probably would be in danger and couldn't handle it - and didn't "want that" for him. H let him down easy, but it was soooo annoying to see Eric pouting b/c H chose Ryan to help him. I mean, stop being so whiney, Delko - you got shot in the head and have proven time and again you're incompetent, so just accept that Ryan's a good CSI and move on, dude. It's the same thing w/Delko and Jake - he was always like "Why him and not me?" - like he can't believe that he's the odd man out for once, that he's not "the man" - his ego is still as big as it ever was since he was shot - if anything changed, it was his credibility as a CSI - not even H trusts him anymore.

I really think this all pertains to this thread b/c Delko's character change is a part of this whole forced E/C thing. It relates directly to it - who he became is linked to this relationship, IMHO. Calleigh covered up for him multiple times, and that didn't help him in his recovery. Calleigh gave into his whining and started a relationship w/him, which didn't help him overcome his macho ego. He is who he is b/c Cal and Eric just don't bring out the best in each other - just look at the conversation they had where they kind of "dissed" Wolfe - Cal never would've done that back in the day. I'm just so sad over who these characters have become (unprofessional, selfish, not having the backs of anyone but each other, not caring about anyone else, not interacting well w/the rest of the team, etc.), and it all started when the writers started pushing the E/C relationship. Maybe it's the way it was written or introduced, but it's not making them better characters.

12. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

And for the record, I am so sick of Ryan's role as designated scapegoat. I have a sick feeling you are right Delynn. I hope not. Who knows, maybe we will be surprised. And maybe I'll flap my arms and fly to the moon:rolleyes:

One would have to pay attention to parts of the fan base that don't concern them for those actors to get an idea how the majority thinks. I am sure AR is feeding off of his fans and those of E/C (which lets face facts are louder and more vocal than the vast majority of us) and when he wanders beyond is when he gets his rude awakening.

I would be nice if he was awakened; he had nice things to say about Jon Togo and how he deserved a good storyline. Of course saying and doing (if he indeed in writing and directing eppies) are two different things.

I am on the fence whether I think this show is still salvageable; I think the chances would have been better if Anne Donahue hadn't been resigned for 4 years (isn't she a big fan of E/C?). A new producer could have overhauled the writing staff and brought in people who wouldn't write for E/C exclusively. New writers would care enough about the other characters to write decent storylines for them that didn't include E/C constant presence and not waste the considerable talent right in front of their noses. With Donahue back, it is unlikely to happen unless they start tapping in to those of us who couldn't care less about E/C and want more of our own favorites.

Who? You have me VERY curious!!

It is funny you mention that; I was discussing this with a friend who doesn't watch the show much and the first thing she said was how little chemistry they had. And if someone who doesn't watch CSI:M sees this.........

I completely agree. You forget this with the constant season 8 character tinkering, and E/C being everywhere to everyone how good Ryan is and CAN be even better with good storylines.

IMHO, the only way to begin to salvage these characters (if this is even possible at this point): separate them and go back to before Delko was shot. Make them friends again and have their personalities return to this time. You are right; pre-nomance Calleigh never would have dissed Ryan the way she has, and she was better at her job when not covering for Delko. Delko, to me, was a more interesting character (although a bit of a know-it-all); he spoke Russian, scuba-dove for evidence and even his womanizing was more interesting than this. Have them interact with the whole team and not be a team to themselves. Probably won't happen, but a girl can dream I guess.

13. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Somebody please pm me if this ever happens.

Actually, I had an evil thought. How about sending Eric up to NY? Mac Taylor should fix his little red wagon, since he cares a lot more about the integrity of the lab. I'd love to see Mac shift into Marine mode and chew Eric a new one instead of protecting him. :lol:

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Looking at the changes that have happened, and are strongly suggested to happen in the future, within the CSI franchise lately I get the strong feeling that CSI Miami is definitely the member of the franchise that CBS cares the least about.

While they have allowed Melina (Stella) to slip through their fingers (a horrible decision by CBS, IMO) on CSI NY, they have at least replaced her with an equally talented actress who will definitely be a major benefit to that show. I question the placement of CSI NY in the Friday timeslot, but it is possible for them to succeed there and I'm hoping they do.

NY has their, "pairing." And their writers are talented enough to have taken the time to set it up so that it works without excluding and diminishing everyone else on the show. In short, Danny/Lindsay are NOT the dominate focus on the show. Admittedly, as with all "ships" it depends upon your preferences, but for the most part they are low-key. They work in the lab without making their relationship the focus of the lab with lame attempts at "cutie moments" that are continuously beating us over the head to convince us they just "belong" together. We don't have to watch them fumbling with bad sex (ewwww!). And we do have a few, very well placed, adorable baby moments.

At least with CSI NY, I get a feeling the are making a valid attempt to re-energize the show.

The same goes for CSI LV. There are changes coming. If Eads resigns, it appears that the replacement for Liz Vassey will be a love interest for him. Marg has indicated that this may be her last season (strongly indicated) so you can bet they will be making sure to give her some outstanding material to work with. And their writers are talented enough to make sure that those moments for Marg will include everyone else from the cast as well.

Bot CSI NY and LV are "team" efforts on screen as well as off screen.

And then we have the bastard step-child. There is no family or team element at play with CSI Miami. It's two characters running the show and it's obvious.

So what kind of marketing to we hear for CSI Miami? They tell us they are going to turn their focus back to the "core cast." :guffaw:

What is turning their focus back to the "core cast" you ask? It's ramping back up the same tired storyline that has been killing the show for the past 4 seasons. They bring back a character that has been played out since season 6 in favor of killing off a character who truly had a chance to breath new life into the show. In fact in the first half of the season Jesse had brought with him a real sense of "team" - until Delko returned and all focus went back to Delko and E/C.

CBS allows an outstanding lead female character on CSI NY to go, and then for CSI Miami retains a played out, boring, tired female lead with a tired, forced, contrived, storyline that is splitting fandom beyond repair and is killing the show.

Unlike Danny and Lindsay, Eric and Calleigh do not appear as a natural pairing. If E/C truly "belonged" together it shouldn't appear forced - which has always been a huge part of the anti-E/C complaint. Why, if they truly belong together, has TPTB felt the need to keep beating us over the head with this freaking nomance for the past 4 seasons with no relief? :rolleyes: Why can't those of us who find this relationship distastful, to say the least, have some relief by seeing OUR favorites get a storyline instead of another year of the Eric Luuuuuuvs Calleigh show?

Why? Because CBS, TPTB and the writers on CSI Miami are lazy. Too lazy to fix what's broken, like they are trying to do with the other shows in the franchise. Instead the fans of CSI Miami apparently aren't worth the effort. We get the same old storyline that never changes because TPTB prefer to listen to only the fans that are saying what they want to hear. The path of least resistance. :scream:

If they won't replace the tired characters that no longer add anything to the show, then it's time to get rid of the writers who can't seem to write anything but that sorry-ass relationship crap.

Fire the current crop of writers and get our show some decent writers who care about doing a decent job for ALL of our characters - not just two.

Unfortunately, with Ann Donahue still running the show, the chances of that happening are nil. So I look for CSI Miami to be cancelled this season. And the sad part about that is those of us whose favorite characters are someone OTHER than E/C, will always feel cheated as in this final year we again see our favorites kicked to the curb in favor of the gruesome two-some and their pitiful nomance. We won't even get closure. :(

15. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

As to the following:

1. Eric shoots someone and never gets reprimanded.
    2. Eric loses his badge and never gets reprimanded.
    3. Eric helps Horatio murder people in Brazil.
    4. Eric smuggles pot into the lab to give to his sister.
    5. Eric asks for his job back and gets it in 5 seconds.
    6. Eric gets shot (a couple times, IIRC) and is back on the job the next day.

Please remember, this is Bizarro-Miami PD, where PCR DNA tests take 5 minutes (recall how fast they nailed Stetler), entry-level CSIs drive around in hummers (yeah right, see how the rank-ank file officers would treat that), and CSIs pull people from burning buildings even after the fire department arrives.

It's all done to advance the plot of a show that only has 22 weeks a year to tell their story. ANY PD official in an officer-involved shooting would be put on paid leave immediately, and for at least 3 months. That's half a season in Bizarro-Miami PD time.

I didn't mind when the show cut the reality short in the past, but it was limited, and the science complimented the plot. Now the science and the plot are second and third banana to the human interactions. Someone has allowed CSIM to become the drama queen out of the 3 shows. Mix in a little office romance (doesn't Ecklie strictly prohibit this in LV?), some outrageous plots, etc. etc.. Anything to make good use out of the flashy, glamorous background of Miami and this group of borderline unprofessional police officers. Frank excluded.

The ongoing emphasis on the EC romance is just another effort by CSIM writers to infuse less police and more T&A into the show. If I wanted that, I'd plug in my old VCR and get out the "old" Miami police show. You know, the one where Don Johnson works on a police salary, but can afford a huge wardrobe, a yacht, a Lambo and a pet crocodile? :guffaw:

Book 'em, Dan-O!