Season 11 "Spoiler Lab" Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Well, I don't know if we'll be seeing Drops...Method Man who plays Drops is in a little hot water for tax evasion...I don't know if he'll be doing any jail time or not..

So one more day until most of the cast is free to pursue other things.....I really hope we get everybody back

3. byline

byline CSI Level One

Eeek, as a writer, I find this attitude rather alarming!:eek:

I think any actor worth his or her salt will readily acknowledge the writer's role in creating and developing characters that, in effect, give them their jobs to do. Actors are nothing without stories to act out. And overpaid or not, it's the oft-overlooked writer's job to create those stories.

4. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I agree with byline. An actor really is only as good as the material s/he has to work with. (Just look at the Star Wars films) Even the greatest of actors can be fouled up by a poor story or bad dialogue.

While I will miss Rambo, I like what others have been saying about the possibilities new talent can bring. But I will admit to getting rather anxious about hearing news of the contract deals.

5. frickangel

frickangel Prime Suspect

And to prove the point further, here's an example: WGA strike 2007/2008.

The US show business industry was essentially put to a halt when the writers refused to work. Unless of course everyone's into reality TV.

6. Desertwind

Good point frickangel and good memory, you hit it on the nail:bolian:and I detest reality shows:(

7. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

The reverse is just as true. The best actor in the world can't save a badly written script. I'm watching TV to be entertained by the people on the screen. Maybe it's just me but no matter how good the story is I'll fall asleep if I don't enjoy watching the people in front of the camera.

Susan

ETA: PC I happen to love all 6 Star Wars movies!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  8. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I guess everyone is forgetting the directors and everyone else behind the camera.

Writers come and go on shows, but in the end people watch the actors not just what is written.

Now having said that, I believe Blackflag was talking more about CM and Donahue, not the writers (who usually are not paid what they should be).

CM is the person who constantly misleads or lies to us, rarely, if ever, talks about anyone OTHER than Fishburne, Petersen and Jorja. If she does we all (well most of us) collapse in shock.

I see that most of the people that are glad she is staying are GSR fans and that's fine, but the rest of wouldn't care if she was staying or not.

Rambo kept in touch with the fans and I really do think that's great, but again, most people that are sad to see him go are GSR and Greg fans.

This should really tell you something. Rambo wrote some great episodes, no doubt about it, but maybe some fresh blood will revitalize the show.

Who knows, maybe the Greg fans will finally see more screen time for Greg. or get the Gregisode they want.

So you see this could be a good thing. :)

9. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I actually do too! :lol: Some of the dialogue leaves me with a ':wtf:' face, though.

10. CgrGrl

CgrGrl Witness

The fact of the matter is that the average viewer doesn't know who the writers are. I'm sorry for people who write, but that's really the fact. I can go to work, ask my co-workers who Nick Stokes is and they could tell me. Now, on that same coin, if I ask them who George Eads is, they may not know. If I ask them who David Rambo is, I know they wouldn't know. People know TV characters not the writers or sometimes even the actors' real names.

We are on a CSI message board so we know more about the whole picture than your average viewer. So, when we hear that Rambo left, we know exactly what that means.

This show is going on its 11th season. At this point I doubt its picking up new viewers so it needs to hang onto current viewers. To do that, it needs to keep the current cast because, like it or not, they are the face of the show. People tune in to watch their CSIs every week and if their CSIs go away and new ones come in, people will stop watching no matter who's writing.

I mean no disrespect to the people who work behind the scenes. I know how important they are to the success of a show. I just wanted to put forth the view of the average TV viewer. People have their own careers and families. To them, TV is entertainment and how it's put out there isn't their concern.

11. misshelgenberger

misshelgenberger Rookie

If i like a show i always look up the actors and the writers and see what they've done before and their career etc, i like to know what kind of person they are and how they act and if they have done anything different that i may not expect from them. I don't view actors and writers as just people who are there for entertainment, it's their job and they're good at is and i want to know more about them. I'm sure many showbiz people do not want to viewed as a 2d canvas, just an actor or just a writer, they are far more interesting then that.

I agree i think it's a shame the writers do not get as much credit as they should, good writing is the basis for any good show. Any actor would tell you that they would be useless without the writers ideas.

12. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Well you know what they say about writers and actors, "Without writers, actors would be nonexistent." now even with that quote it doesn't mean the show revolves around the writers. To put it into a lovely little metaphor, writers are the engine of a show while actors are the wheels of the show. They both need each other or they both won't work as well as they should.

13. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

It's the endless cycle..."Without writers, actors would be nonexistent...and without the actors, the writers for television would be nonexistent." So they all need each other, including the crew that is needed behind the scenes, to produce what we see. Personally, I don't view one group any more important then the other.

On that note though, has anyone heard anything about these so called negotiations yet? Cause I am curious to hear what happened with these actors after June 30th came and went.

14. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

I've yet to hear anything, DJRideout. I guess CBS wants the fans to think that the show will only have Langston and Hodges next year. Wouldn't that be an awesome creative direction?:rolleyes:

But, seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if offers have been made and now it's just the actors agreeing or not to the amounts offered. Didn't the actors have until June 30th to be offered a new contract? Unless I'm wrong...

15. Desertwind

That's what George said in the TV Guide article June 30, but apparently negoitations are still happening, They do start filming this month, and this is only the 2nd day of July, but I'll bet they know and just haven't announced it yet:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.