What Do You Think About Eddie Cibrian's Departure? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by baybeehannah, Jun 17, 2010.

1. CSI_Natalia

CSI_Natalia Prime Suspect

I could care less... actually i am kind of happy because there were way too many cooks in the kitchen and my faves were being side lined

2. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I understand what you're saying, but I think your position depends upon WHO your favorite it.

I actually saw more of my favorites when Jesse entered the picture because the "team" was more the focus. Admittedly they went too heavy for a period with Jesse, but he settled eventually and was fitting in nicely, IMO.

With Jesse the focus wasn't all Eric and Calleigh. Once it was annouced that Rodriguez had gotten his position back, I knew Eddie's character was probably history and the show would once again turn it's focus to Eric and Eric and Calleigh. And the latter half of the season proved me right.

The writers on this show are simply not good enough to write for anything more complicated than the nomance. Jesse would have required the ability to write a compelling story that would capture the viewer's interest. Well beyond this crop of writer's skill set.

A lot of people complained about "all the time" spent on Jesse. At least that could be blamed on trying to introduce a new character. The voices are silent when it comes to "all the time" spent on Delko, major overkill, IMO. I'm sick of seeing him at this point.

I still think Jesse had a lot of potential. I'm sorry to see him go in favor of Delko, who I think it totally and completely played out and one of the most boring characters on television.

3. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:scream: I know this is the wrong thread to highlight this comment, but it is a fact that refuses to be ignored by viewers and refuses to be acknowledged by TPTB.

4. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

^^ With all due respect, this is indeed the wrong thread to post these comments in. There is a "Dislike a Miami Character?" thread where all this can be discussed at length...
    As for Jesse, even though I do find the actor quite attractive, I don't think he succeeded in capturing the intrest of a lot of viewers, including myself. It wouldn't have bothered me if he'd stayed, but I can't say that I'm bothered by his departure either.

5. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I think both characters will naturally come up in a discussion like this because of the timing between Adam coming back and Eddie leaving. There's nothing wrong with comparing characters but let's make sure it doesn't devolve into strictly a discussion more suited for the dislike thread. :)

6. Propto

Propto Dead on Arrival

I haven't watch the entire season 8, but from some episodes I have watched, I enjoy Jesse's appearance, I even enjoy the episodes where Jesse in it better than when Eric in it.

Honestly, I surprised when I knew Cibrian won't come back for Season 9, from some interview I read, TPTB seemed to have high hope in his character and they also said they will wrapped up Jesse's storyline in season 9. I just hope it's true. Even if Jesse's gone, maybe they can do that even without Jesse, well, they couldn't make a storyline just hanging.

7. bgnogan

bgnogan Hit and Run

Honestly I'm very disappointed. I was really starting to like Jesse. He was a perfect fit and it's a shame he won't be staying around. Hopefully they don't kill him off but I'm expecting the worst.

8. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

From a strictly story writing time line, you could tell Jesse's character was suddenly less notable in the plot lines right around the time Adam had his David Caruso/NYPD epiphany and wanted back on the show, almost like a supply and demand curve.

I'm sorry you found any "new blood" on this show unappealing. They even brought in Rob Zombie to direct a whole episode to try and set a backstory about his life in L.A., IMO one of the best of the whole season. As to the "humor," the lab rats in CSILV and CSINY routinely have their humorous interludes, perhaps to contrast their quirkiness with more serious characters like Brass or Tripp. And don't the lab rats on LV get one geekathon per season to play those stupid "fake murder in the lab" games? All E+C and Sunglasses make for a deadly dull show, unless HC is murdering another Brazillian drug lord or Eric is at death's door for the 120th time.

Both of these characters have had incredibly inconsistent portrayals by the writers over the last 3 seasons, which doesn't endear me to them much any more. With Jesse, there was at least an infusion of new energy into the mix, something to write about other than "was Delko doing something to hurt Calliegh, and is she willing to put up with him for another episode?"

Jesse's departure will leave Omar and Togo out on an island, because someone is projecting a distinct Wolfe vs. Duquesne vibe. And for that matter, it will probably isolate Caruso's character as well. Wasn't it his show to begin with? :rolleyes:

We've got all Summer to debate it!

9. ciuchino

ciuchino Victim

This character wasn't my favorite, but I don't think he should leave so soon. There might be less time for everyone and still include Jesse. Maybe someone, for instance the actresses, would like less screen time.
    Also, it wouldn't be fair play kicking out Jesse like this.
    The TPTB must let the character completes his story line and arc, and maybe ease him away at the end of the next season.
    It would be at least more polite to the audience and the actor.

10. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

And it got me excited; the team again!! Everyone working and brainstorming with everyone else. A breath of fresh air.

I am not too excited for season nine if the end of season eight is any indication of what direction this show is going to be take. I don't want to spend another season of seeing my favorites stuck in the background.

I have to admit, I feel the same way. And IMHO, overkill is overkill no matter who the character is.

And they will all be joined by Natalia and Frank. And it certainly doesn't seem like Caruso's show anymore.:(

11. jontogoisabeast

jontogoisabeast Hit and Run

Jesse was a really good character, and i'll be sad to see him go. I had no clue he was leaving until I was reading an article about LeAnn Rimes and at the very end it said he would be be leaving the show. I sat staring at my computer for, like, 10 minutes staight trying to process the info.

They didn't give him enough time though, more ppl probably would've liked him if they had more time to get to kno him

12. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

I disagree about the screentime.Jesse was given the biggest amount of screentime in the first half of the season.I think Jesse's character failed to spark the fans' interest.

13. squinn1201

squinn1201 Rookie

Eddie/Jessie never clicked with me. I guess that is because I am a true blue Adam/Delko fan. It really will make no difference to me that he is leaving. However, I do think that the decision was due to Adam's full-time return next season. He was hired when Adam was leaving and now that he had decided to stay, there is no use for him anymore. In TV Guide, they said that the show wanted to go back to the core members of the team, so I wonder if that means Walter will also leave.

Either way, my boy Adam Rodriguez is back, so I am happy! Check out my video welcome back to Adam! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSwTN5whgN0

14. jontogoisabeast

jontogoisabeast Hit and Run

i wasnt really talking about the xcreentime, but so many ppl were freaking out cause they though Eddie was replacing Adam tht they automatically hated him.

Once they figured out tht Adam was gonna be back full i think they never really took the time to see if he was a good character or not

15. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I understood what you meant about 'time', & I agree. New characters this late in the game will naturally struggle to be welcomed & accepted -- it takes time (as in seasons), not airtime) & good storytelling to get the fans to know him.
    TPTB threw him in too quickly, IMO. They expected too much from us -with him being there as part of the team 12 years ago, buddy-buddy with Horatio and Calleigh, he knew Speed, etc. It was a nice thought, but to me it seemed rather forced. I like to be able to SEE what's there, not be TOLD.
    Anyway, I do think had he not replaced A/R he would've been more easily accepted....or at least brought on neutral feelings from fans. But, yes, unfortunatly many had already decided not to accept him before he even hit the screen. Not only that, but supporting the "new guy", the "replacement", would have been going against the campaign in getting A/R to return...so of course, he wasn't going to be supported well from some fans. It's a shame. In a way, I understand, but it's too bad he had to take the hit for it -- no one should have. TPTB should have waited until they knew for sure what was going on with A/R before bringing in any replacements. I enjoyed the last half of the season with Jesse, as his storyline wasn't so "in my face", but in all honesty it was probably a mistake to bring him in from the get-go -- there were enough characters to play on while A/R was on his little break (I don't know what else to call it) -- there was no need for a new character or replacement. It's sad but I wish everything in season 8, aside from Nat's hearing loss & Kyle's return, was just a nightmare & none of it even really happened -- alot of it ruined the flow of the entire season. I don't blame Eddie Cibrian for that though.