How would you fix CSI: NY?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 8, 2010.

?

How do you feel about CSI: NY this season?

1. I think it's great--probably one of my favorite seasons

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  2. I think it's pretty good

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. It's so-so this year

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. I'm pretty disappointed with the season

27 vote(s)
    41.5%
  5. It's so bad that I'm contemplating giving up the show

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. robotnik22

robotnik22 Rookie

I liked seasons 1,2 and 4 the most.Season 1 will always be my fave ,because of the overall feel of the show, quirky, gothic and very unique, which set it apart from Vegas and the overly glitzy Miami. s3 was okay but we could have done w/out the fiasco of Mac/Peyton and the too quick development of D/L. Season 5 i've seen most of, pretty good but it became the D/L show half way through and i've read about s6 having some good episodes, but the rest of the season being crap, I'm hoping that Season 7 brings back the elements that set NY apart from the other two in Seasons 1 and 2.

2. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Please as much a possible, less liberties with technology. It bugs me and others too. I know you have consultants, please consult and obey them. It's not hard to tell in an episode "Unfortunately, the technology we have isn't enough. Let's go and look for some more evidence". It will be fun if a show is entertaining at the same time educational

3. Flacknatic

Flacknatic Hit and Run

I would fix it with three little words:

Make Flack Gay!!!! :drool:

Ok, so at least I would watch it more anyway! :p

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  4. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ :lol: good luck trying that with CBS! ;) it would be pretty cool tho.

5. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

A number of good ideas already have been mentioned, so I’ll just throw out my top one.

Revitalize the characters and their interactions.

In a franchise with over 400 episodes to its credit, there’s only so much they can do when it comes to creating different and unique criminal scenarios, so in the end, the characters and specifically how they interact with each other and the various suspects and victims is what makes a difference.

Get back to basics and remind me who these characters are and why I found them interesting in the first place. With the exception of Sid, I think every character was diminished in my eyes in some way this season. While I don’t expect these characters to stay exactly the same over the course of the series, they still need to have some core traits and behaviors that establish their identities, and when they deviate from those, there should be a logical, reasonable explanation for it. Instead, over the last couple of seasons especially, it seems the characters are being twisted and tweaked too much to fit the needs of a particular plot or storyline, sometimes seemingly without much regard for what has come before.

I agree with the idea of more two case episodes (or perhaps an A and B story for the episodes) but don’t know how realistic it is to do that from a creative and financial perspective. Looking back at the earlier seasons, the two case format allowed them to mix the CSI’s up in different combinations and show them working a case all the way through. In turn, this allowed the writers to explore more deeply the relationship dynamics between the various CSI’s (including conflict) and to show us the characters in a variety of situations (processing evidence, dealing with victims, interrogating suspects, etc.) which further helped to flesh out the characters. In contrast, now they tend to solve crimes by committee, which seems to foster a lot of exposition and more generic, group-type interaction.

Which brings me to my last point. The writers seem to be struggling with the size of the cast and how to utilize all the characters effectively. They essentially have six CSI’s now – including Adam, whose role these days doesn’t seem that different from that of Lindsay or Hawkes. Mac and Stella have become more and more administrative – walking around directing work, asking about results, and conducting the occasional arrest and interrogation – while the contributions of the other four seem somewhat generic and interchangeable. It makes the characters seem bland and dilutes their individual impact.

Given the current format of the show, perhaps they really only need three or four CSI types, one detective, and an ME to work most of the cases with a few recurring characters to deal with specific situations (two case episodes, cases requiring special expertise, etc.). Maybe they were trying to set up this type of scenario by putting Lindsay, Adam, and Sid on a rotational schedule, but it didn’t seem to work well because when these characters showed up, they still seemed to be mainly in supporting roles and not necessarily making a unique or special contribution to the case.

I’d like to see NY last at least a couple of more seasons and go out on its own terms, so I hope they can make enough changes to rejuvenate the series. Granted, my enthusiasm level is rather low right now, but I’ll occasionally check spoilers over the summer in hopes of seeing indications of changes for the better.

6. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ interesting points those, i agree with a lot of it actually; especially the 2-case thing, and i also think there's been some watering down of characters, along with a flattening of roles so they all seem to do the same thing a lot of the time. i think they need to get out of that a bit if possible.