Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #20- "Save Me From Myself"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #12- "Much Too Young"

That rule only applies to posting directly after another of your own posts, because in that case you can edit the first post instead of making back to back posts. Otherwise, as long as someone has posted after you, you are free to post again even if it's under 24 hours. :)

Did anyone else have a problem with this? On both of my computers, the spacing on these stories doesn't look any different than it does on the others.

2. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

I've just checked the stories in Firefox, Safari and IE and I can't see anything amiss with the spacing - that said, though, I've just looked at the source code for "Time Passages" and there is something slightly screwy in the HTML I can see which might cause a problem, depending on your computer settings.

3. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

I can read all the stories well at the website, Smokey :)
    As for not knowing/knowing who wrote what... I like to guess who wrote what :D

I think it's better not to know who wrote what, since this will keep us all objective and focused on the story and not the person who wrote it :)

On the last reviews then...

Much Too Young (2)
    Wow :D I really like this one. You know what you do... your story was detailed and absolutely believable. Every person would have reacted the way Nick did in your story.

This was a really interesting interpretation of the theme song. You know I would like to know how Nick experienced his first crime scene... and as long as we don't get to see it on the show, I'll take your story for it :)

Very well done! :)

Wanna Swing?
    I like the concept of your story... the idea of Nick sitting on a swing and finally realizing that life isn't over just because you're getting older :)

You seemed to have a hard time to find the right words at some parts of the story and used some words a little too often. That's something you can work at to make your stories better.

I also thought that the word limit seemed to be a little in the way for you here... the ending came pretty apruptly and the point where Nick finally realized the important thing seemed a bit short.

4. Smokey

Is it something I can fix?

Thanks for all of the reviews so far! Keep 'em coming! :D

5. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

Should be able to. The question is what the best method would be. If this were me and it were somewhere I could edit the raw HTML, I'd do it that way and change the borked code for something that works. But I'm not sure GoogleSites lets you get into the raw HTML so...

The frightening part is where I admit I probably also know how the code got borked in the first place. (I really, REALLY need a new job...)

I'll PM you with a proper explanation.

In the mean time (and to drag myself back on topic), I think I've finally figured out how to not out myself, so...

The Nights of Horror - Very interesting idea and very different. I'm with everyone else, I think this could be a very good, much longer story and I'd definitely like to see you expand on it.

Much Too Young (1) - Wow. This is a very difficult subject to tackle and I think you've done it well.

Time Passages - Love this. It's Nick and it's Brass and it's so true to their characters and I especially love that Brass carries a spare pair of sunglasses :lol:

Much Too Young (2) - Golly; a very different take on the song, but I like it. Nick's time working in Dallas is so rarely mentioned on the show that it's always nice to have a go at fleshing it out and I think this does a decent job.

Wanna Swing - This is cute; I love it. The little boy's so innocent and it's just...yeah :) I will admit that the opening did have me very worried about where you were going, though!

6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Time Passages:

This was great. I loved it. The conversation between Nick and Brass was very in character. Well written and enjoyable. Thanks.

Much Too Young (2):

Woe. Very well written, I could visualize every moment of this story. Nick's reaction was very well in character. I felt very bad for him. It's interesting how you brought Shelley in and totally loved the line about kissing your cat! LOL! I could picture Nick picking up a squalling cat and planting kisses on its head.

Wanna Swing:

Wonderful introspective of Nick's thought process. His longing for a family of his own. His interaction with the little boy. So beautifully written! It brought a tear to my eye. Thank you.

Great job everyone! Wonderful stories!

7. Smokey

Thought I'd go ahead and do the reveal! Authors, you are now free to post your work elsewhere if you like. :)

The Nights of Horror
    - Nick3167
    Much Too Young (1) - MyFutureCSI
    Time Passages - Smokey
    Much Too Young (2) - Athersgeo
    Wanna Swing? - Nickyfan

Once again, thanks to everyone who participated! Great job!! :)

8. Smokey

I forgot to say, as usual the authors can feel free to write a little something here about how they came up with their story if they like. :)

For mine, I wanted to do something related to "Lost and Found". The way Nick was looking at Conner and his mom at the end just screamed, "I want a family!" to me. :)

I wrote the first part, about the sunglasses, and I was going to continue it elsewhere and connect it to "Lost and Found", but it just wouldn't come to me. So I just let Brass and Nick discuss it right there and then instead.

I like the way it turned out. I think it expresses what I wanted it to say without going into too many details. :)

9. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

I knew when I read the lyrics, I was either going to deal with Nick musing on his tendency to find all the worst sorts of trouble, a very young Nick getting tossed in the very deepest part of the pool at his first crime scene or a Nick feeling thoroughly thrown by being a great uncle at 35...

As I'd already written the latter (for round 9 [or was it 10?]), I dropped that idea pretty quick, but kept toying with both of the other ideas until I ended up in the position of having two pretty decent stories shaping up and NO idea of how to split them! (*grovels to Smokey)

Of the two of them, 'Ignoring the Universe' was by far the easier to write. Everything just lined up in a neat row, from Tony's bout of plague (yes, really) matching up, time-line-wise, directly with Grave Danger to CSI's writers actually giving me a specific injury for Nick to have. (I swear, I had the idea of Nick being banged up and in a bar BEFORE I knew he was going to get shot!) It also was probably the story that, despite the humour in it, fitted the song best. After all, what's more world weary than two law enforcement officers comparing proverbial (and not so proverbial) war wounds?...!

By comparison, 'Much Too Young' was a complete [insert rude word here] to write. I mean, just how DOES a triple homicide get confused for a robbery? And what kind of people did Nick work with in Dallas? And, for that matter, just what had Nick actually been like at 24 or so? And then there was the other challenge of trying to work out what technology would have been available to Nick at the time (how on EARTH did we ever manage without cell phones?!!) and whether or not he'd even have been using gloves... In the end, though, I think this ended up being the more satisfying story to write - and you guys liked it, which is the important bit. Thank you :)

10. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

My story??? Well... while reading the lyrics of the song I always had to pause at the phrase 'I'm much too young to feel this damn old' and it was sure that I would go with it :)

The idea of Nick on a swing came from a song I heard last when I was in kinderkarten (which was after all at least 15 years ago). It was about an old grandma sitting on a swing and remembering the events of her life. In the song it was like the old woman had lived her life and was happy with how she lived it. I didn't want Nick to think like that (not just because he isn't that old). I wanted Nick to have still dreams he needs yet to fullfill... a goal he wants to fight for and that's how this story came about.

I wanted to show that feeling old doesn't mean you are, that sometimes it just needs a little kick in the butt to realize that life is not over, just because you're showing signs of aging... that there are always dreams to live for.

The 'little kick in the butt' in my story has to be Lenny... I wanted to make the difference clear that exists between adults and children and I wanted to show that everyone of us has an inner child that is just waiting to come out to play :)

11. Smokey

Is anyone ready for a new challenge? :) If so, please respond so I can get an idea of how many might be ready to write again. We would give several weeks to finish it if that makes a difference for anyone.

Shameless plug here...I've started a multi-chapter Nick fic on FanFiction.net called Four Eighteen that you can read here if you're so inclined. :)

Also, Jacqui has started a multi-chapter Nick fic there as well...one that started as a response to one of our Nick fic song challenges. I encourage you to visit if here.

Remember, if you'd like to keep up with the updates, register at FF and sign up for story alerts. And don't forget to leave a review there. It encourages us greatly. :D

Okay....who's up for another challenge here?? :)

12. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

*waves hand vigorously*

I'm in

13. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

I want to join too... but it'll lay directly in my exam time :( I don't know if I can manage to write one then... I can try but that's all I can say for now :)

14. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

I might jump back in...it all depends on if my muse decides to cooperate

15. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

new writing challenge I'm game to try another (Since my first was kind of a flop) :guffaw: