Grade Season Six

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jun 5, 2010.

?

How would you grade season six of CSI: NY?

1. A+

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. A

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. A-

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. B+

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. C+

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  8. C

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  9. C-

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  10. D+

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  11. D

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

It's that time again--the end of the season. What did you think of New York's sixth season overall? Did you love it, like it or hate it? Give it a grade and let us know why you picked the grade you did.

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I have no idea what grades I gave individual episodes and I have no desire to go back and look. I gave the season a D based largely on the fact that I've forgotten most of the episodes and of the few that I remember the majority of them weren't good.

3. tobinhr

tobinhr Hit and Run

I remember a few moments, a few good plot lines.... C.

Tobin

4. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

B-
    One of the worst seasons ever.In my opinion this season only beats season 1.The majority of the episodes were forgettable and the Shane Casey storyline wasn't handled very well.

5. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

Aaah, there were some great episodes (Cuckoo's Nest, Redemptio etc.), and some of them really sucked. I gave it a C+

6. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I'll give this season an A-! There is a good number of great episodes but some are disappointing.

Things I like this season: the Compass Killer story; some great character-centric episodes; a couple of episodes different from the typical CSI formula; Flack's got a conscience; Stella in trouble; Hawkes with financial problem; less amount but good D/L drama; Casey's surprising return; Haylen (I think I'm the only one here who liked her :lol:); Danica Patrick; and Aubrey Hunter

Things I didn't like/disappointed with: super Mac; Danny's early recovery; over dragged Casey story; not enough back story for Adam/Sid; Adam/Stella - the spark between them just gone after what happened in the premiere.

7. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

Have to give it an F.
    I have lost interest in the show alltogether. This season was so bad. I don't need to elaborate, anyone who has been on the boards knows what the issues and complaints are. I don't even watch the reruns, of course we have seen reruns all season. I am now a crimenal Minds fan. Have no plans to follow csi to friday.

8. CSI.Jade

CSI.Jade Victim

I gave it a B. All in all, it was a decent season, though my favorite still has to be 4. I liked the Compass Killer storyline a lot and liked seeing all three CSIs come together. The Christmas-centric epiosde was sweet and there were quite a few episodes centered on just one character (like Hawkes, who doesn't seem to get much recognition). I also like that they toned down the DL. I may like them together, but I don't like it being shoved in my face (although Lucy was cute in the finale :)).

Things I didn't like... hmmmm... Aubrey. I thought it was sweet for all of one episode ("Pot of Gold"), but afterwards I started growing bored. I don't know, something about her just irks me. Though I love how adorable it made Mac. What else?? Oh yeah... Peyton. She was only in one episode, but it was one epiosde too many. Getting off the subject before I start a rant: I also didn't like how they healed Danny so quickly. What, four episodes in he was already up and walking again? Oh yeah, and the Stella and Adam thing being quickly discarded. I never liked the idea of them together in the first place, but they shouldn't have just dropped it like that. It could've been used as fuel for some good drama or tension in the lab...

Anyway, I still liked it for the most part. My favorites now stand: 4, 3, 1, 6, 5, 2.

9. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Um, this is the one season I don't see myself getting the DVDs of :alienblush: Then again, I did watch the new episodes at least a couple of times a night, even the ones I didn't like all that much; and still find myself watching reruns of it if I get the chance. So it wasn't completely horrible. It's not too different from how I felt mid-season, there were some things I was honestly blown away by (earning an A), and some things I was just :mad: over (the F factor), so they kind of cancel each other out to make a C, maybe C+.

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

erm it's a tough one - like top41 i've found i suddenly can't remember half the eps, even though i've seen all of them more than once. that's not a good sign. when i was replying in the best/worst ep threads i had to really think hard about it - not because it was a tough choice so much as because i just couldn't think of anything memorable. which is a real shame. also the handling of danny's injury and failure to report his badge have really pissed me off. not to mention lucy the incredible aging baby.

definitely the worst season yet. i've given it a C, because a lot of the episodes i enjoyed at the time even if i can't remember them now, and also there were one or two that i really really liked, so they have redeemed it a bit.

someone else put a list of the order the seasons now stand in for them, so i will too ;) it's not an easy call, but here goes:2, 1 & 3 joint (3 used to be my favourite but 1 & 2 seem to have overtaken it), 4, 5, 6. oh dear, looks like a steady downward trajectory then!

11. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

For me the seasons go totally in order. Season 1 was amazing, two was very good and it all started going down hill in S3 and has been picking up speed until I'm not even sure I'll watch S7. It depends on the premiere.

12. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Meh.

Possibly the most anonymous season since S4. Certainly haven't bothered with DVDs in years.

-

Diverting briefly on the run of seasons, as others have:

For me, S1 is still on it's own plane. It's very nearly a different show altogether :p.

S2 had some really good eps, and some that produced immense distaste. It was also the start of the Slick n' Shiny factor, and there was a veneer of polish that sometimes kept me from getting as involved. S3 similarly had it's good and bad, as every season does, but I also thought it was one that mebbe challenged the characters a little more; conversely, I think S2 was probably more consistent in the quality of it's cases. I've no real favorite between them.

I recall damn little of individual eps from S4, not without some prompting and reference. S5 was memorable in that it was the first one that outright pissed me off and pushed me beyond my former casual and indulgent indifference :lol:. S5 seemed also to have more extremes, a smattering of very good eps within a larger body of mediocre ones. S6 has had fewer pleasant surprises mixed into it's status quo.

I guess I split the run, I have much preferred the first three seasons to the last three, but still think there have been some entertaining eps throughout.

-

...S6? While there were some things that were a bit different that I appreciated, and a few moments here and there that continue to feed my well-sheltered internal nugget of hope for the show, it gets a collective sigh, shrug and shake of the head. Feels like what's "average" for NY has continued to slip a bit.

Some eps continued to have shining moments of humor, some had really striking visuals, some had intense and fun action sequences, some just had a real spirit of fun about them. The strength of the show continues to be the characters, who yet increasingly feel misused, and the cases generally continue to suffer as the weaker element of the show. For all the moments of good, there still is the feeling it's losing ground. Even the preceeding two seasons which I wasn't so keen on got C realm grades, but I'm tempted to grade this one lower to reflect the new version of par.

I liked that Sheldon got some overdue attention, both on a personal level and on an elbow-deep-in-action-outside-the-lab front. I liked how Flack's multi-ep arc was handled, and how the others were generally woven into it. I liked seeing Reed and Nelly again. I liked Aubrey, and Peyton's return far exceeded my admittedly low expectations for the ep; I thought the moments written for both circumstances were quite concise and well done.

I still (and will always) hope to see more Sid. I would like to see more Adam, he's simply a unique character, in himself and in how he can interact with the rest of the ensemble and bring out aspects of each character in ways that no one else seems to provide. Absolutely unique. It's hard to articulate what I mean there.

DL DL DL. Wtf is there to say about DL. That they make me understand the impetus to want to leap off the side of a lighthouse :lol:. After having mostly restrained themselves from returning to the saturation levels of S5, the show overloaded on them in the finale in a hugely unpleasant fashion.

The phrase "Curvatures Of Lettuce" will continue to amuse me absurdly, beyond all rationale. Possibly one of the best things to have come out of the season :lol:. Haylen, not so much. As a character she was sadly not integrated well and I wasn't sorry to see her fade away sooner rather than later.

In retrospect, there was actually more good than I'd thought with regards to character material, but there was also a vast array of bad that smothered most of those gains. Straitjacketed formulaic usage of them, thwarted hopes for a peek further inside them where there seemed opportunity to spend thirty seconds on. They often feel less like individuals that I'm watching go about their business, and more like cardboard functionaries servicing plots that aren't demanding of viewers and aren't pushing the characters. They often feel like they've been stuffed into situational boxes (break glass and use only when). It's maddening to feel that the show is somehow essentially eroding itself, when characters and plots should augment one another. How they are used, the functions they serve within any given episode, and the material, stances, and dialogue given, feel formulaic & predictable. They are in danger of becoming mallets. I'd love for them to be far more complicated than that.

The multi-ep arcs didn't fare so well. Danny's injury was, bar none, among the most ridiculously wasted opportunities the show could have bothered to set up for themselves. I also have to say that the Compass Killer trilogy as a whole didn't hold my attention the way I'd hoped it would, and in a year in which so many episodic procedurals seemed to be producing similar multi-ep nemesis events, NY's was not an exemplary achievement. That seems odd, given I thought Cuckoo's Nest was among the season's best episodes, but the other two in the trilogy didn't engage me in the same way.

Same goes for the return of Shane Casey, coasting on past uniqueness without advancing it further. What a waste.

There seemed an awful lot of fluff and filler in eps this year, a reliance upon franchise CSI format and flash, and not so much on content. They have to make me care about what the hell they are processing, and who they are talking about with regards to the case they are investigating. Especially where the puzzles themselves are not so cleverly composed and unravelled. And while there were some great production moments within individual episodes, it does feel like its stylistic signatures need a bit of a makeover. That too is increasingly & noticeably formulaic, and not always in the best way.

I think the season had a lower standard of "average fare," and gets a D for that reason. Some good moments. Overall, Disappointing.

S7. Time for new staff teeshirts and a refill in my glass half-full.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  13. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

HELL NO! I loved her! :D She was kinda adorable.

14. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Great! It's just sad that the writers didn't give her a chance to blend with the team well.

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i didn't mind her, i just wish they'd let her stay on long enough for proper opinions to form, i always felt like they were far too quick to listen to everyone having a kneejerk reaction against her having never given her a chance.