Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. GotGameFAn

GotGameFAn Hit and Run

Totally agree to this. ~

Too bad there'll be a chance of her continuing the show, though. I'd hate to see characters that are actually worth it die. :brickwall:

And IDK if it's just me, but the show was actually nice while Eric was gone. ~ No crappy dramas, no cheesy scenes; just...CSI: Miami.

IDK if anyone else has noticed it, though. ~

And as I sit here thinking about it, actually, it reminded me of what my friend said to me months ago...

"You know my dad started a band once. Said it'll be the 'next big thing'. Now he's 44, sitting in the couch saying, 'What the hell happened, man? :wtf:'"

Change some words and it'll perfectly describe what CSI: Miami has become. ^___^

I mean jeez, it's a forensics drama, not some crappy soap.

No offense at all. ;D

2. Court

Court Prime Suspect

I agree with you that it is hard to give up now. The investment of time and energy into the characters, the actors and the show has been made and I think we are totally justified to expect some kind of "return" on that. It gets old when TPTB choose to only listen to one particular faction of fans. :p

What is even more frustrating is that the large number of us who don't support the E/C relationship are basically ignored by TPTB and left to wait for whatever little nugget of "other character focus" they choose to dangle in front of us to keep us watching. (Did that make sense?) :scream:

But like you said Delynn, there's no way to truly know if the investment into yet another season will be worth it until we see the first few eps. (Hopefully the first one will involve Calleigh in a casket - God knows her dignity and my respect for her character died YEARS ago thanks to this "romance", but I digress).

3. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

I agree with this. I feel dedicated to this show, and no matter how much it might tick me off, I will never stop watching it. Even if it means that I have to filter through every single episode. IMO it's worth it just to see that little "nugget of other character focus" (as Court put it) we may get each episode or every few episodes.

It's like fishing, except the fishermen use the same bait everytime. At some point the fish will realize that bait = they die and will "swim away"! Same thing with this show, except more people are "swimming" away then TPTB thinks. And yes that did make sense. ;)

Hmm now that Adam knows I kinda have a bit more hope (is that possible?) Sure all of the fans are trying to convince him otherwise, but he might share his finding with TPTB? I mean they seem to listen to him. Heck they must if this E/C thing is still going on. :rolleyes: maybe it won't be as bad in season 9? Maybe for once we'll get to see other characters reach the spotlight. ... :guffaw: Yeah like that will happen. I feel like this nomance will be in the spotlight until more fans become even more vocal (against the nomance of course) then we are already. THEN maybe they'll listen to us. But for then, all we can do is wait and continue to be vocal. *sigh* I do not like waiting... :scream:

4. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Well, I knew I'd wander onto this page eventually once I decided to check out where the show has gone the past two years (it is hard to give up, but I did for the last two seasons.) While I liked the finale, and a lot of the clips I've seen online (they've definitely gotten some more "team" moments, which is good), I also discovered that they went "all the way" with the E/C thing. I couldn't believe they crossed the line - and they revealed what E/C really was about all along - the sex. Just a ratings ploy to show some skin w/two main characters.

From the clips I've watched, the relationship isn't "deep" at all - it's like they both figured out "suddenly" that they're both "Hot" (OK, yea, no argrument there), and they just want to "do it." I mean, look at the dialogue in "In the Wind" - what was that about? Eric was not being "deep" w/Cal, he was being his old egotistical "I know I'm hot and you want me" self. :rolleyes:

I just don't see this super-deep connection TPTB are talking about. All I see is Eric screaming and getting upset in emergencies, and Cal crying over him being endlessly in danger, but no real substance. There's no depth to their conversations - like why they love each other, aside from a physical attraction. Yea, they were friends, but she's friends w/everyone on the team. I still don't see what makes E/C any more special than CarWash or DuCaine or even Nat/Eric.

So Adam Rodriguez is surprised there are people out there who don't like the E/C plotline? Where's he been the last two years? Plenty of people have spoken of their dislike of it (hence this thread). Oh well, what's done is done. TPTB have milked this relationship (and destroyed it, I believe - where is Eric's RESPECT for Cal? I don't see respect, I see a snarky guy who has very passionate reactions. IMHO, that's not love, that's just emotion.)

5. alexa

alexa Witness

I've seen this scene three times and I can not see where the writers and the fans can see sex:confused: I cant. Dude, a man like Eric would not stop it to answer a call:confused: from work:wtf::brickwall: I mean ... anyone wouldnt even heard the cell phone.
    Without wishing to disrespect to anyone but the writers/fans need some "action" in theirs life to know what is sex and what isnt

a bunch of teenagers who instead of took advantage of their age ... they can only breathe EC.

In EC universe! Calleigh and Eric show.

sorry any english mistakes

6. Court

Court Prime Suspect

TPTB have disillusioned themselves into believing the world is all pro E/C, so it's easy to see why AR and EP would think that. Otherwise why would they keep shoving this storyline down our throats? :brickwall:

BTW, miami rocks, I am LOVING your avatar. :thumbsup:

7. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Thanks for the feedback - guess it's nothing but frustrating to know that it's really all in the hands of TPTB. Just a few comments.

Well...when I watched the scene it seemed obvious to me that there was something going on - I'm very grateful they didn't show more than that, but I definitely think it was strongly implied that they had sex and this was a "morning after" thing. TPTB wouldn't have Cal sit on him like that or talk that way if they weren't implying it. I found that scene very awkward, and Cal came off kind of annoying - like she would put her personal life before her job - NOT. I want the old Calleigh back!

I do agree w/Alexa that it seems to have become the "Calleigh and Eric" show, especially since no one but Eric is around when Cal is hurt. I mean, seriously, "When Smoke gets in your CSIs" and "Backfire" were very melodramatic. Get the boyfriend out of the room, for cryin' out loud. Eric didn't come off as heroic - he came off as an annoying BF who was interrupting the doctors who were trying to save her life :rolleyes: I mean, at least the other CSIs showed up at the hospital in "Backfire" (even Horatio - wow! :eek:), but Eric is wayyy too possessive, and I still don't get why. They don't have "deep conversations", it's just a "hormonal" thing when they're together - all about the physical "Sparks," but that's all they are - after awhile that fizzles out and there's no real substance to work with. Unless TPTB give it more depth, it's gonna just get more and more like a soap opera.

Yea, TPTB somehow suddenly got it in their heads that just b/c the two actors are hot, they'd make a great couple. They thought they could use the "excuse" that they've worked together for awhile, but that doesn't fly w/me, especially not after watching the first four seasons of CSI:Miami. Eric was always so respectful of Calleigh, and now that they're "together", he's turned into this protective, mocho "I know you want me" guy. :rolleyes: But of course that's how he was w/all his other many "girlfriends," so why not Cal?

Oh, and I'm glad you like my Avatar, Court :) Mulder and Scully are, to me, the best example of two characters who genuinely love each other and the viewers can see why - it's clearly very deep and both of them were very reluctant to get "physical" b/c they valued their relationship that much and didn't want to jeopardize it. The later seasons weren't so great, and the last movie was very lacking, but the essence of their relationship is what drove the series. I look at them, and then I look at Eric and Cal, and I just see such a huge gap in depth and love there. If you see who the other couple is on my Avatar, you'll see where I think the real depth of CSI:Miami lies. (Off-topic - if interested on my thoughts on that, I could PM you, but be warned, I could go on for awhile ;) )

8. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

First of all welcome back to this forum miamirocks, I so missed your posts :thumbsup:.

As for the episode "In the wind"....as soon as I saw Calleigh with that shirt coming towards Eric and kissing him the first time in that scene, I turned off the TV....it was to too much for me to cope with :rolleyes:. So I guess I don't know exactly what are you talking about, but I hear you when their relationship is very hormonal. I've also come to the conclusion that nothing in that relationship is deep....really it's like watching a couple of teenagers that aren't even growing up together. No disrespect to the teenagers 'cause I've come to know a lot of teeenagers who are even more mature than Calleigh and Eric :lol:

Totally agree with you on this miamirocks. What I saw in the first four seasons was much better than this and it definitely had nothing to do with what happened in the last 3 seasons. From a personal POV the show eneded during s5.

Also, what irks me most is the change of characters to make them suit better with the relationship. While I can kind of understand Eric's one, for the life of me I cannot accept and understand Calleigh's one. For god's sake she didn't get any bullet in the head but she's really behaving as if she actually had.
    Seriously I cannot understand how a person like her who was so professional and didn't want her relationship to interfer with the job (Jake comes to my mind....she certainly didn't behave like she's doing with Eric. She never protected his ass when he was in trouble :rolleyes:) can become this monster!!!
    Seriously, no one can come in here and tell me that after all she risked her life twice and she matured...because to me E/C represent the evolutionary regression of the whole show...not to mention the characters/actors.

Enough with my rant :lol:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  9. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Awkward, uncomfortable, self-conscious, clumsy - and I could go on. All words that I would use to describe any scene trying to depict E/C luv scenes. Those two simply do NOT have what it takes to sell it. Procter was interviewed and stated she was "practicing" to get ready for their big "kiss." If she had to practice, there is something seriously wrong there.

They both looked like they had no idea what they should be doing and they wanted nothing more than for their "luv" scenes to be over. Neither look like they are enjoying themselves or are acting natural in those situations.

Yeah, the Eric screaming all over the place trying to get someone to care is really getting annoying. NO medical personnel would allow him to pull that crap. His ass would be thrown out of that room in a heartbeat. The patient is the priority and he is in the way - plain and simple. So you remove the obstacle that keeps you from adminstering to your patient. And the obstacle is the screaming meemee BF! :rolleyes: If he truly cared about her he'd get the hell out of the way and let the medical people do their jobs! :scream:

I'm sure that they keep the team out of there because they want it to be strictly an E/C "moment." So again, it TPTB and the writers with their "Eric Luvs Calleigh Show" mentality that drives everything. Personally, I don't want my favorite characters having to try and perform in the soap opera scenes they keep writing for those two - so it doesn't bother me that Horatio, Natalia, Ryan, Jesse and Walter aren't included. It allows them to retain their credibility.

I guess I can see where some would think they are "hot," but I'm not one of those people. Eric is okay, I guess. His "boyish" charm has always been lost on me. He's a womanizer who'll screw anything on two legs. How is THAT attractive? That, to me, shows absolutely no respect for women. He uses them for sex - exactly what he's doing with Calleigh. He's not anywhere near as attractive as Ryan and Jesse.

I used to think Calleigh was beautiful. Not any longer. Her personality has changed my feelings about how she physically appears. She's lost all credibility and integrity with her actions over the past several years. She appears tired and old and worn out. She's stiff and awkward and appears cold and detached.

AGREE TOTALLY. Mulder and Scully set the bar so high NO ONE has yet to achive what they did with that relationship. But boy does everyone keep trying - badly, IMO. You won't see the chemistry that Duchovny and Anderson have repeated anytime soon - and you won't see an epic love story like Mulder and Scully for a very long time either.

Eric and Calleigh don't deserve mention in any comparison with Mulder and Scully. Mulder and Scully relationship was so far and above anything E/C has - E/C is of no consequence!

10. Propto

Propto Dead on Arrival

Hi, everyone. I've been reading all the page in this thread and 24 pages of the first thread. All of you have expressed the reasons why I dislike this pairing, so no need to repeat them by myself.

I started watch CSI: Miami at season 3 and 4, but then I jumped to season 7 and I found out that E/C is together together. I was like...WTH?

I never thought this will ever happen. I just never feel any connection between them beside of Bro/Sis or friendship. And I like that friendship.

This pairing is kinda ruined the friendship between the team. Like in season 6 and 7. I wouldn't deny that I was happy when Eric resign from the team in season 8, and I enjoyed the episodes without him there. But then he will come back at season 9 and I sad again. Please don't make season 9 becomes E/C show.

Now I'm watching the first 2 seasons of CSIM, and I enjoy it. (Though there is no Ryan...yes, I'm a big fan of Ryan). I like Calleigh in the beginning. She is completely different in latest 3 seasons.

"The End of Beautiful Friendship" I would say. I really sad that the friendships I enjoy in the show slowly gone. I LOVE Calleigh/Ryan Friendship, and Calleigh/Horatio, or other. I prefer EdeN than E/C.

BTW I never realized that so many people dislike this storyline until I come to this forum. I usually in ff.net, and jeez, CSIM fandom is really full of E/C! That's why I never know there is people who doesn't like them.

I want Calleigh to die because of whatever attacks the lab. But I think it's also impossible. Come on, nowadays if there is Eric always there is Calleigh. (note: I haven't watch the entire season 8 episodes, so I am referring to season 6 and 7).

Tom and Jerry have better chemistry than E/C. (This is probably the weirdest statement I ever made)

Isn't last's season ending was already with some E/C storyline? and now the ending of season 8 is end with E/C scene?

*stop rambling and back to lurking*

11. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Good one, Propto, and welcome to the thread. You are not alone. Eric and Calleigh were so much better when they had a professional brother/sister relationship.

I would liken TPTB more like the abusive or cheating spouse or boyfriend. He screws up. (E/C overkill). You (we fans) complain. He (TPTB) says he won't do it again, he's sorry, and he'll make it right. Hence, "Out of Time", back to basics. Everything's gonna be wonderful again. Just you wait and see.

But everybody who's ever loved a jerk, an abuser or a cheater knows that his true colors eventually come back. TPTB said Miami was going to be just like the good old days, and to be fair, there were some good ones. Well, we see what happened there. Now it's full steam ahead into the Eric and Calleigh Show. I'd like to think things are going to change, but I just don't see it happening. My own mother said "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

I wonder whether Adam Rodriguez and Emily Procter realize what they're doing to their careers. Did they think they'll be playing these parts till they die? Eventually the show will be canceled, and they'll end up being typecast as Eric Delko and Calleigh DuQuesne. Ask Henry Winkler what a career killer typecasting can be. To this day he'll never be anything but Fonzie.

I too like your avatar, Miamirocks. Maybe I need to make one of Morgan/Garcia of Criminal Minds. Now THAT'S a pairing! :lol:

12. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:guffaw:I, too, like the Tom and Jerry comparison.
    :drool:Morgan/Garcia have the best opposite sex chemistry currently on tv, IMO. I don't know if it's because the writers are plugged in to them or it's been a natural progression for the actors, but it works. Take note, CSI Miami.

13. Propto

Propto Dead on Arrival

That's exactly why I won't expect anything again from them, higher the expectations we have, higher the possibility we will get dissappoint. I'm not sure how season 9 will be handled by TPTB, I just have a little hope that the screentime still balanced, since now Eric back.

Agreed! Though Morgan/Garcia is a very weird pairing (for me, at least) but it's more enjoyable to see rather than E/C. It's not like food that people (TPTB) forced us to eat though we don't like it, then they keep us eat until we want to vomit. Morgan/Garcia is a very delicious food and we volunteered to eat it.

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Welcome, Propto! We can always use someone with a good sense of humor! :guffaw:

Your little comparison with Tom and Jerry reminds me of mjszud's statement about E/C not generating enough heat to warm a pop-tart! :guffaw:

One of these days we'll have to start a list of the most appropriate and funny E/C relationship comparisons! ;)

What a perfect description! And you're right, Jag Lady. TPTB will never change.

I really fell for it when they said they were going to get back to basics at the start of season 8. It was a good start - a little too much Jesse, but they eventually toned it down and he settled in. Delko was gone and Calleigh was less. Everything was finally looking promising.

Ryan was made to look like some kind of alien we'd never met before, but hey, I was willing to wait while the writers pulled their heads out of the asses and remembered WHO Ryan was. At least the remembered that Ryan existed, which was much more than they did with Natalia and Frank most of the time.

And they the second half of the season came. And Delko was back (and Rodriguez got his job back) and we knew he was back for good and that meant E/C would be ramped up again. And lo' and behold the show again focused on Eric and Calleigh and their freaking over-the-top angst/bad sex/melodramatic/chew up the scenery nomance.

There is no doubt that Season 9 will be the "Eric Luvs Calleigh Show" and to hell with the quality of the show. And to hell with what the show could be if the truly talented actors were given the time and opportunity to pull this show from the gutter.

Those who are responsible for this sorry storyline will have it on their backs for the rest of their careers. Good. They deserve to shoulder the blame.

Morgan and Garcia are simply amazing! They have my undivided attention the minute their scenes start until they are over. And when I sit down to watch Criminal Minds, with the exception of thinking that Hotch is "hot," I'm waiting for my Morgan/Garcia fix! ;)

Nope. You don't get to lurk when you post such great stuff. We've seen what you can do, so now you have to keep posting!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  15. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Welcome Propto!!!

Love will do that to you:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The saddest one to me (as a fellow Ryan fan) is Calleigh and Ryan's. They used to be close, a kind of a older sister, younger brother thing. Ever since she hooked up with Eric, she is pretty much turned her back on him and there are two scenes that brought it home to me:

1. Target Specific. When Eric is trying to get trace off of an object, Calleigh brings him a chemical from the janitor's closet. Calleigh said, if the janitor got mad is that they'd "throw Wolfe under the bus" WOLFE?! When before this did she ever call him Wolfe?! Oh, that's right, ERIC calls him Wolfe, I guess that is it:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. Time Bomb. The old Calleigh would have tried to reassure Ryan while in his apartment, but she was so concerned that Eric had lied and betrayed HER, that is all she concerned herself with.

Very very sad:(

:guffaw::lol::guffaw: It's funny because it is true:)

I am expecting little and hoping to be surprised. I have a sneaking suspicion will be that it will be same old same old; watching their mating ritual with a bucket nearby and my favorites background scenery.

:guffaw:
    :guffaw::lol: Also funny:thumbsup:

I'm game.

This is so true. The really sad part; in the extras of season 6 the producers actually insisted that the crimes and science were the main focal points of the show and at one point they were. This storyline has taken so much away from the show and shoved some other very talented actors into the background. And what is more sad is that tptb have deluding themselves into thinking that is what the majority of us want.

I am looking forward to more myself:thumbsup: