Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree. Instead of putting Calleigh in a position where she was a sympathetic character, I was angry with her incompetent response to an emergency situation.

Both she and Eric have a recent history of unprofessional responses in tense or emergency situations - and they actually pre-date their sexual entanglement. Calleigh's decline began with her involvement with Jake. They are supposed to be trained professionals and their responses are anything but.

There is no way I would want either one of them responding if I needed help. It's like watching the Keystone Cops with those two - only innocent people get hurt.

Horatio, Ryan, Jesse - they can respond anytime - bring 'em on! :drool:

2. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Just wanted to pop in here and say that for those who wish to discuss Eric or Calleigh and not necessarily the romance storyline, we have a new Dislike A Miami Character thread.

While the characters Eric and Calleigh will most certainly overlap with the romance storyline (since it's about E/C), I encourage this thread to stay geared toward the storyline itself and not too many separate incidents (Eg. Eric walking into a glass door or Calleigh messing up an investigation) that had little to do with it. Otherwise it'll devolve into a duplicate of the other thread, and we want to keep both relatively separate.

Thanks for your time! :)

3. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

;)
    Thanks for the separation and clarification. Hope it works out.

4. greatfan

greatfan Captain

The following is from an interview Adam gave May 27th. I just copied the E/C part.
    I thought it was interesting.

When asked about the negative reaction to Eric's relationship with Calleigh, he admits, "You know, I'm surprised. I don't really know which side has the stronger force behind it. It seems like it's 50/50. I'm pretty surprised. I thought they really wanted to see that. I don't know if we waited too long to deliver it. I can understand they feel that way, I really can. I thought it was something people really would be excited about. I was excited that we finally got to that place. Who knows where they'll take us."

Of course,there are already fans wanting to send him twitter messages to let him know it's not 50/50, that there may be 10% that are very vocally against the relationship. How would anyone know if it's 10% or not.There must have been lot of complaints against the relationship to come up with those numbers.

5. alexa

alexa Witness

Did anyone read one interview that AR give (I dont know when) talking about the csi:m fans who did not like the ship? my sis (who is a BIG BIG hip"something"- I NEVER remember their names) just show me that looooooool a big LOL for him.
    he says he was surprised by the negative reaction:wtf:...blah blah blah he was really surprised cause in his mind we all wanted to see them as a couple :shifty: and be excited abou it :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: :wtf:
    but he can totally understand why we feel that way!
    and it's all i can remenber.

as I cant express myself very well in English- the smiles speak for me!:lol:

Edit: sorry greatfan I just saw your post.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  6. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Hi alexa, I just mentioned that in my post right above yours. He was surprised.Apparently it's 50/50 the number of people for and against it. Of course fans of E/C are saying it's not true, that 90% of the fans want it. I don't know where they would come up with 90% of the fans wanting E/C.

On another board, they are already planning on sending letters and going on twitter in support in support of E/C. According to them,the anti shippers are gaining ground and they must speak up for what they want .

7. alexa

alexa Witness

Let they dream!:guffaw:my sis and all my friend thinks exactly the same thing.

my sis: "I just read an interview with Adam and I have to show you! Seems that the American fans also are against them.... I dont understand how you guys cant see that they are made for each other?"
    my answer: "maybe we need to buy some special glasses just to see csi miami!":wtf:

I'm not a Car"something" but that-thing-Calleigh hav much more chemistry on screen with ryan than eric. just saying! but thanks god they leave ryan out of this mess.

8. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

We must both be looking at the same board cuz I saw that too! :lol: Yeah I noticed, i sometimes venture into the very active E/C thread on that board to see what's going on in there... But I won't comment on their actions, because they are being vocal and supporting what they believe is right so I respect them for that and will leave it at that. The fans of this show always impress me and are very vocal about what they believe in which is why I personally love the fans of CSI Miami! ... Ok yeah.. I'll stop now XD. BACK TO E/C Star_Gazer!!! :p 90%?! Oh hahah look at that I see that too XD. I dunno, that board is full of E/C fans so I guess I can see where they get that number. Plus us non-E/C fans (and they are called hiphuggers btw, I don't actually know why... But I'm sure I'll find out some time XD) aren't as vocal as anti-hiphuggers are, so I guess it could seem like we are in the minority. I for a fact know that many of my friends are anti-hiphugger but just don't "forum" (they look at me funny when I tell them I forum XD, so I don't pressure them into it) and I think lots of non-hiphuggers don't... so I dunno... (NOTE: THIS WAS NOT MEANT TO ATTACK OR SEEM LIKE I WAS BEING MEAN TO ANY FANS. IF IT WAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!)

9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

There is no way of knowing exactly how many are opposed to the ship or who support them. Us vocal fans, ALL of us, are only a small portion of the entire viewing audience. I really don't like the feeling I get when I see/hear anyone talk about minority/majority, who's the "most popular" & who isn't, because there is just no way of knowing. Not every single viewer comes onto these boards -- here or anywhere else.

I'm sorry that Adam Rodriguez had to be shocked from this "newsflash" but I have to say I'm glad it's been acknowledged. One thing I never liked (& in part why this thread was started) was being thrown into a category of fans who wanted this relationship when it was so very far from the truth. I mean no disrespect to anyone by saying that, but we all come to this show for different reasons/characters.

Now, considering alot of topics have been thrown off here lately in various threads, I think we should get back to the real reason why we come here -- what we dislike about the storyline, where we want it to go, how it hurts the show, etc. I've stated a million times over & I don't think I can express it anymore than I already have -- I just can only hope that TPTB wise-up & give this storyline a much needed rest ...and by rest I mean death. :rolleyes:

10. GotGameFAn

GotGameFAn Hit and Run

TBH, this ship is starting to feel like another Danny/Lindsay thing.

(No offense to you, Danny/Lindsay fans.)

Anyway, it seems fake. To me, they're kind of forcing each other to have a spark and that's kind of, IDK, a turn-off for me I guess. :lol:

Plus, CSI: Miami writers are taking this relationship way too far with the near-death scenes, shooting themselves and other stuff. Chuck a bomb in their way and we'll probably be stuck with another Eric/Calleigh scene with one of them in a hospital bed with tons of useless metal tubes. ~

And you don't /have to/ have a Eric/Calleigh scene in every episode. T___T

It's not that I hate the characters, it's just that it's kind of sad seeing their characters fall apart because of some relationship that doesn't even look good.

There are a lot of potential storylines and characters in CSI: Miami that are being ignored because of this ship. :c

Uhm, yeah. Throwing my two cents. :shifty:

11. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I'm really impressed. It doesn't come as really shock the fact we're about 50%, but I am really impressed from Adam's reaction. I'll be honest....I would have never expected him to know this and, above all, such a reaction from the guy who used to promote this romance.

At this point, I really hope this is gonna be just their first step to slow things down 'cause lately they've been exagerating with their couple ;)

As for the threads Geni, I have a little something to say but I will probably post somewhere else or PM you ;)

12. Kiane

Kiane Lab Technician

I'm tired of the fawning over Calleigh show, and her men melodrama. What do they think they are trying to get men viewership by flaunting Calleigh and suffocating her presence? I wish she would die off from the cliffhanger. She brings nothing to the canvas.

13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I find it so sad that Rodriguez found this news such a sad awakening. And I wish I could be impressed, Flo. I really do. But I’m not. I DO expect him to know this type of thing. This is a major storyline line on a show on which he is a major character.

Just where has he been? Is he that detached from his own show that he doesn’t know how a lot of viewers feel? Or is he that insecure that he’ll only listen to those viewers who say what he wants to hear until the voices of discontent are so loud that they can no longer be ignored?

I personally feel that if he is now acknowledging the anti-E/C element of CSI Miami viewers, or just now being told by TPTB, we must number MORE than 50%. We certainly aren’t just sitting back quietly and taking what is being dished out any longer. We have come out and become more vocal in an attempt to make TPTB realize there is a whole other audience out here. One that is not happy. And rather than walk away as so many have done, we are trying to save a show we care so much about by letting them know what is making us so unhappy. Something we’ve been trying to do, to the point of screaming frustration, for almost 4 years. They simply refused to listen because it's not what the few driving the nomance, who have all the power, wanted to hear. They're listening now because the ratings are going into the toilet and all of a sudden they are surprised? :scream: How pathetic is that? :rolleyes:

But fans tend to gather with those who feel the same way they do. I have no doubt the E/C supporters truly believe that they are the greater in number. Although 90% is a bit unrealistic, they probably only interact with like-minded fans and so to them they are the greater number of fans because they don’t usually interact with those who don’t enjoy the nomance.

I’m convinced that the greater number is now the people who have simply had it with the focus on E/C, the melodramatic soap opera, the destruction of Calleigh (a truly beloved character at one time – not so much any longer) and Eric to achieve this contrived, ill conceived nomance - and the requirement that to focus on E/C other favorites are short-changed or completely ignored.

I’m also not totally convinced that this “realization” on Rodriguez’ part is not another attempt to galvanize the troops to start a campaign of support again – as he did to regain his position on the show. Of course he adds that he not sure where they’ll take the romance now. If that isn’t calling the troops to action I don’t know what is! And I’m not sure that Procter’s lament that she thinks Calleigh has only an 80% chance of survival wasn’t intended to illicit a campaign to “Save Calleigh.”

I find the timing of both statements curious. Just in time for the hiatus. To give fans plenty of time to campaign so TPTB can change course when they receive the deluge of emails and letters these statements will cause demanding that E/C continue and that Calleigh not be killed off.

Both he and Procter have become very good at making statements that cause an uproar and generate petitions and letter-writing campaigns designed to garner fan support for whatever they have asked for. And whether it truly has an impact we've been told it does, or this is publicity intended to stroke both the actors and their fan's egos, is open to interpretation. It's certainly how the game is played. Publicity is everything!

AND it’s getting very old. This determining where the show is going by whose fans have the time to bury them with emails and letters and whose fans can out scream the others is really a stupid way to run a show. I stopped screaming for what in grade school.

Ouch! (No offense!) I like Danny and Lindsay.

While I feel that it is “forced” to the extreme with E/C, I don’t feel that it’s forced at all with Danny and Lindsay. I think they look very comfortable and at ease with each other and as parents to Lucy.

It’s not something that I feel truly strong about, but I really enjoy seeing them. I think their interaction is believable and not forced the way E/C is.

Maybe it’s because I don’t feel that they push the “aren’t they hot/sexy” angle with those two. They aren’t in my face all the time and I don’t feel that they take time away from other characters. And I don’t think the characters were utterly destroyed to achieve the relationship.

I know others feel differently. That’s okay!

I’m not a big fan of “ships” in general – at least not on a show that is supposed to be a crime procedural (what would be my “perfect ship” would never happen anyway. I LOVE the chemistry between Horatio and Stella. She is a strong woman that is finally equal to him. I could go on forever – so I won’t. Especially since I know there are other who have Stella firmly with male characters on her own show! ;))

I agree. To me all this over-the-top melodrama simply means they have nowhere to go with these two. It’s same old, same old. Over and over again with no end in site because they can’t think of any other story that is interesting for these two. It has to be one of them in jeopardy and them one of them on their deathbed followed by gag enducing scenes intended to appear "sweet", "cute," or "endearing" and are truly the farthest thing from it to most of the viewers. :scream:

The problem is that they’ve used it so many times there are a significant number of us that are praying that they just get it over with and kill one of them already so we don’t have to see it again! Calleigh preferably, although I personally would cheer the demise of both Calleigh and Eric at this point! I find myself cringing when either one appears on screen and the fast forward button has become my best friend when watching this show. I’d hate to see them lose this opportunity and we have to see this nomance continue to be the focus of the show for ANOTHER season. I should say those who stay – not sure I would be included in that group at this point.

Trying to avoid trigger words – in the strongest definition of the word “dislike” I dislike this nomance. IMHO, it is killing the show. Millions have stopped watching and I truly believe that a lot of those viewers have left because of the soap opera that it has become. The show has become a laughing stock. And while everyone loves to blame it on Horatio and his sun-glasses, to do so is to be in denial. More viewers than Horatio's detractors care to admit like that character - young people actually think he's cool - go figure! :rolleyes:

Everyone that I know who used to watch has stopped because of E/C. And that is all of my family and friends.

I agree strongly with this statement. I think that it’s a testament to how much I adored Calleigh in her original concept that my feelings for this character have now become polar opposite and the only thing I wish for is for the character to leave - perferably in a body bag so there is no chance she'll return. I’ll have more to say about my intense dislike for Calleigh, and Eric, in the Dislike Character thread – when I get the time to put it together.

My concern lately is that in the last couple of episodes, it’s become the Eric show – with Calleigh hovering in the background with a blank look on her face. It appears as though even SHE can’t believe what’s happened to her character in the past 4 years. (The changes to Calleigh over the years are a professional woman's nightmare. She is every sterotype we've been fighting to overcome in the workplace!)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  14. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I am perfectly aware of what you mean with your post, I do. But considering what I think of the actor (both from a personal POV and a professional one) I am impressed, I really thought he was thinking he lived in a twilight zone where everything was perfect ;)
    So, I won't say you're wrong or that you can't say you're not impressed. All I'm saying is that considering the reputation of the actor himself I now have, I am impressed....no offense to the actor but this is my very personal take on this stuff.

This is what I fear the most and I'm totally with you. If all of this happened, it would be disgusting......no offense to anyone but actors leading their fans to help them reach their own goals is rather disrespectul towards the other fans of the SHOW.
    Considering the fact we're not here to speculate on the actors and their own ways to work (moral or immoral ones), I won't add anything esle on this matter and I will try to remain as positive as possible, though I find it quite impossible considering what they all have been doing for 4 years!!!

I certainly am not expecting a lot from the 2 actors since my own idea of them isn't that good (due to what official interviews have been telling me lately on them) so whatever happens will be a surprise for me....positive or negative, I don't care anymore!!!

15. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I see where you're coming from, Flo. And from that perspective, yeah, I suppose I should give him a little more credit than I do.

His "surpise" at the negativity out there with regard to E/C does make me wonder if he is just as clueless about how seriously his character's credibility has been affected by this storyline and his own credibility with how he manuvered his return to the show.

It seems he lives in a protective bubble where the information is filtered and selective.

I'm afraid it's getting harder and harder to find a rainbow at the end of this nightmare storm. I'm trying to hold on until I see where the first couple of episodes of season 9 go before I make a final decision about whether I'm going to hang in there until the end of the run.

I don't really want to to give up now. Not after 8 years. But one can only take so much, ya know? So I guess I do have a little hope. But TPTB have proved in the past if you're not part of that precious target demo they don't give a flying fig about what you want to see. And so as more and more of their audience gives up and finds other things to do (not necessarily other shows to watch - although I still believe that Castle did damage), they sit there in their ivory towers oblivious to what's happening to what was once a really good show.

It's a sad testiment. In the end, who really cares for these characters? I'm not sure anymore. I don't believe the writers do or they would take the time to find out who they are before they put words in to their mouths that are totally alien to the character (Ryan!) and take them to places that require the destruction of who we've come to know and love (Horatio - he's finding his way back!, Eric and Calleigh). The producers and the network are all about the bottom line - so they please the loudest faction of fans forgetting that they alone can't support the show. Now we have to wonder if it's too late and to many have been alienated to get it back.

I guess we'll see.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010