Grade 'Vacation Getaway'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 26, 2010.

?

How would you grade Vacation Getaway?

1. A+

20 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. A

15 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  8. C

13 vote(s)
    13.4%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. D+

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  11. D

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  12. D-

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

11 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

It is very difficult to get a child that young to show emotion on cue. I don't think we should blame the child actors for that (I'm sure they used twins). Someone could have worked with them a little more to get something out of them, but it isn't easy with a baby. I've seen photographers trying to get babies to smile on cue, it takes patience and a little time for the most part. Every once in a while you get a baby who is easier to amuse or whatever, but most of them are a little more difficult to impress. :lol: tptb at NY just didn't take the time to do that for whatever reason.

:guffaw:

2. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

LOL :guffaw:

---

THOUGHTS ABOUT EPISODE:

Flack. *purr*

ACTION FLACK! ILYSFM!

The scene with Shane and the guard. :lol: Even I am not that easy to fool! Gosh, what was he thinking?

BAD STELLA. YOU DO NOT, repeat: YOU DO NOT, TAKE ADAM'S KEYBOARD. <3 Neverrr

Danny/Lindsay/Lucy scenes: BORING. And you just don't tell how you're gonna kill your husband in front of your 1 (or is it 2... ? 3? Okay, 4 then?) year old daughter.

Shane in the lighthouse: FREAKING SCARY DUDE! :eek: *no sarcasm*

Oh, and I just LOVE LOVE LOVE Danny's shirt!!!!!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 *sarcasm OFF*

MORE FLACK! *purr*

ADAM! *purr*

ALMOST NO SHELDON... *grrrowl*

SID! YAY! \o/ So he grew up in the Hamptons... And those crab-thingies hurt like a... :lol:

FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK! *über-PURRRRRRR*

So, yeah. That's probably it. B+ (because of Flack *purrrrrr*)

3. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Havent made a review in a long time but this ep was worth commenting about! I had a little hope that because it was Shane Casey story line it may have been as good as last time but no. The keyboard things were pretty good on the cool foled notes though. It was ruahed but at the same time dragged on for a pointless 40mins. From what i read here I wasnt the only one who seemed th guess the ending 5mins in with all the tshirt and light house mentions.

The Messer family stuff was good for the first seen together but then they had another 4 scenes with danny and lindsay being silly and Lucy not seeming to care. But her faces were the best part of the ep.

I was disappointed in our scientists this ep who sturggled to fit clues together... obviously in an attempt to create tension for a dramatic ending.... well they failed.

Loved the bar full of moeny though.

Loved flack.

Adam was cute with the keyboard.... you should never steal is keyboard.

I did love th elight house scene though when we finally got to it but the ending should have been as he fell. The last scene was so and boring after Lindsay and Danny's little chat on the bed. And for Stella's ''At least they have each other line''... god help me so cheesy :lol:

4. JohnBK

JohnBK Victim

I just saw the whole episode. Thought it was great! If I could I'd change my vote to A+.

5. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

You guys deserve the time off.

This statement from Mac to Lindsay inspired a CSI:NY Dance of Apoplectic Rage of such magnitude and severity that I dislocated my spine, sprained my shoulders, and kicked myself in the ass. If this post is riddled with non sequiters and typographical errors, it's because I suffered brain damage from the whiplash effects of the dance and am writing this post with my teeth.

Let me get this straight: Danny fails to report the theft of his badge because he "didn't want to make a big deal out of it." His failure to report the theft results in a prison riot that kills a guard and an inmate and allows a dangerous lunatic to roam the streets with a badge. Despite the fact that Danny doesn't want to report the badge missing because money is tight and disciplinary action might result in suspension without pay, he allows said lunatic to run around the city with his credit cards and ATM cards, withdrawing money at will. The raving lunatic has access to his home address, yet Danny feels no need to temporarily relocate his family until Casey is caught.

And somehow Danny and Lindsay "deserve" to traipse about the Hamptons while everyone else cleans up the mess.

FUCKBLARGHHULKSMASHASSSEIZESEIZEVOMITRAAAAAAAAAAGEBULLSHIT!

Sorry, I had a rage-induced seizure. What I meant to say was, way to lay down the discipline, Mac. And why in the blue sodding hell wouldn't you take down Danny and Lindsay's information before they disappeared into the rarefied air of the Hamptons, you know, since Shane Casey is on the loose and takes a great deal of sadistic pleasure in tormenting CSIs?

And Danny and Lindsay are living from hand to mouth, yet they can afford a silver Mercedes convertible and a vacation in the Hamptons? Kiss my ass, writers. I'm incredibly patient, but I'm not a simpleton. Either he's on the cusp of broke, or they're sitting in the financial catbird seat. I know this is a reach given your previous track record with injuries and their consequences, but I'm going to pretend that between Lucy's birth, Danny's temporary paralysis, and his ongoing back problems, the Messers are barely beating back the bill collectors. Even if the department covered the bills from his shooting, they likely aren't covering his acupuncture and chiropractic treatments, since it is unlikely Danny has filed insurance claims for them. If Danny is paying out of pocket for these treatments and for Lucy's child care, then there is no way The Messer family should be able to afford a jaunt to the Hamptons at the height of the tourist season. In a Mercedes convertible.

So, the CSIs, who can find evidence of a wet rat fart in the middle of a sewage treatment plant, can't find Danny and Lindsay because...their cell phones are turned off. Did no one think to try using the GPS systems in most modern cars? Surely that Mercedes convertible had GPS or Onstar. Did no one think to call Grandma Monroe, who knew about the vacation? When did the CSIs become case studies in collective traumatic brain injuries?

I can buy that Shane Case survived the fall from the lighthouse--he's a devious, meticulous bastard. What I cannot buy is that a)Danny and Lindsay would go home before the body has been found, knowing that Casey has been in their building, or b)Casey could make it back to Manhattan in a few hours despite the massive search for his body. What futuristic, flatulence-propelled miracle machine was he using?

Stupid, stupid, shipper-pandering glurge.

I will give Lindsay a modicum of credit for refusing to abandon Danny at the first sign of trouble. No one would have blamed her had she taken Lucy and run at the first hint of trouble, but she stood her ground until Danny urged her to flee. Kudos to her for showing some guts.

A piss-poor ending to an embarrassing season, and I'm glad it's over. F

6. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I'm glad many (few) of us like the episode. :lol: But I gave it only an A. It wasn't predictable, at least for me. The only I didn't like was some stupid moves: the guard, Danny/Lindsay cellphone.

I will re-watch the episode later and see if my conclusion will change. Maybe I was just so excited and unspoiled.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  7. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

I thought it was a fine episode- I felt the cliff hanger effect and that the team really behaved like a team, in fact they remind me of a large family, a family prone to not being perfect when 3 of their own (little Lucy has many uncles) are in serious trouble. I like NY very much- it has the elements of team and family that Miami used to have but has sadly lost. I also really hope that the show will stay on; CSI NY has become one of my favorites.

8. christalann

christalann Hit and Run

I normally wouldn't say anything, but it was a Volvo. I LOVE that car. Sorry *ducks her head from flying objects*.

I agree with most of your comments. I am a D/L fan but geesh. They shouldn't be affording all this.

When I threw aside the back knowledge of characters, I loved the episode. I will admit my jaw was open after the end for like 3 minutes before I shook out of it.

9. csifanviki

csifanviki Civilian

well, i really got my hopes up for thiss finale
    but i'm afraid it was a slight disappointment.
    1. the love stuff was wayy OTT!
    2. Lindsey never got those messages
    3. that guard became friendly with casey.
    4. Also what was carmine giovanizzo thinking. Orange so isn't his colour!!!

The Shane Casey riddles were good as expected . csi ny always is unpredictable in the fact that danny was the target.

I was losing interest in the episode until the last minute or so when ...BANG!

Bring on season 7!!!!!

10. christalann

christalann Hit and Run

Does anyone else notice how suddenly TPTB are tying up old stories? Shane Casey, Payton? Its nice to see these people come out of the bunker of certain doom. I'm just hoping to get Louie or Sam out!

11. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I definitely have mixed feelings about this one. I really enjoyed the way DLL were portrayed. It felt like there was a return of the old banter we haven't really seen since early season 4. It reminded me of why I like them together (when they're not being too cheesy). I certainly felt that we had some insight into how DL are getting along as a married couple.

But, there were too many details not properly thought through by the writers. They really need to work on that for next season. They keep going for the big spectacular turn but the road before is so disjointed it makes the characters look stupid more often than not.

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I felt the same--one of the few moments I liked in the episode. I loved how she told Shane to "go to hell!" and that Danny had to urge her to take Lucy and go. I think if Lucy hadn't been with them, she wouldn't have left.

13. Hanbee

Hanbee Victim

I gave it a B. It wasn't totally crudtastic, but it wasn't exceptional either.
    The DL stuff wasn't excruciating to watch, although Lindsay's explanation of how she would kill her husband in front of their child was slightly disturbing :wtf:
    This finale still doesn't beat Snow Day. One of the main reasons for this is that the team were finding everything out from scratch, and using their resources to the best of their ability to fight a drugs gang at the end of season 3- this time, they couldn't even find Danny and Lindsay :shifty:
    Then there was all back tracking to get us to the point we are now. We found out quite few episodes ago that Shane was after Danny, only for the team to confirm this in the finale :scream:
    My bet for the beginning of season 7, Lindsay storms in and blows Shane's brains out like a bear protecting its cub :rolleyes:
    Or we could have the slightly less creative ending that "it was all a terrible nightare" :brickwall:

14. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I give it a B. I liked seeing Danny and Lindsay away from work. I think they finally got a chance to be just a married couple with a kid and that was what I wanted from them.

I don't know why some are all hyped up about the convertible. I just assumed they rented it for the weekend, as a lot of city dwellers do when they don't have a car of their own. It's never been mentioned before so renting a car seems quite appropriate. They may even get discounts for being cops. It's not out of the realm of possible. As for the weekend in the Hamptons, internet deals. There are plenty of ways they could have gotten discount prices, especially before Memorial Day and weekday rates are usually less than weekend so I just don't see it as a big deal.

As for the storyline I think the entire story had some pretty big leaps of logic and a few holes you could drive a truck through. I think if we had been given the opportunity to get inside Shane's head at the beginning and could watch it unfold from his perspective it would have been much more exciting. This show has a habit of telling a lot of things from Danny's point of view, which pleases his fans, but wouldn't it have been exciting to see the other side of this one, knowing he is in danger, watching Shane place all the clues and circle around the Messers? I would have enjoyed that quite a bit.

All in all the episode didn't thrill me but it was okay.

15. RabidChild

RabidChild Civilian

La Guera - I am laughing out loud at your review - thanks for summing it up so well. It's as funny as a "Really?!? with Seth and Amy" segment!

Is there a sub-F grade? Because I give it an H for "How freaking stupid do the writers think we are?"

I've been lurking for weeks, and finally have found a reason to comment and I really wish it was going to be about how great this episode was, but alas... I cannot.

I'm not going to rant about the actions/motivations of the characters, but rather the piss poor job the writer of this piece of crap has done. It's an insult to the viewer to have turned beloved characters into idiots. It appears to me that all the clever clue-leaving, dollar bill folding red herrings served merely to demonstrate said writer's cleverness. And to then just throw in a generic "He's insane" motivation on top of it to explain it all away is just lazy. I mean REALLY. What a cop out. What a wasted opportunity. Shane Casey is a great villain...why not highlight how he'd been (clearly) obsessed with Danny...make us feel the danger the Messer clan were in more acutely. Nope, instead we get boring, time-wasting wedded bliss scenes in what should've been a pivotal episode. It's the finale, people, step up your game! We know you're capable of it (so for punishment, you must go back and watch Snow Day and Pay Up and then come back and write "I am a hack" 1000 times on this blackboard).

Points for whoever cast the little girl, though - she's pretty damn cute. And yay snarky Action!Flack.