Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Believe me, I'm with all of you in wishing that they'd just kill her off. But, for me it isn't just about the nomance ending with her death, I personally think it would be good for the show & the remaining characters.

Eric -- though I would hate to see him moping *gag*, I would take the temporary grieving if it meant she was a gonner. Whether fans like to see it or not, the death of a close one does wonders for character development. As I said, mopey Eric is not my favorite, but it's good for storytelling & most writers looooove to go there if/when they get the chance (especially when there's a "love story" involved :rolleyes:).

Horatio -- while the 2 have seemed like nothing more than co-workers the past 4 seasons, I imagine him losing such a person would still have an impact on him. Another good opportunity for character development.

Ryan -- I personally would love to see how death would effect him. It's something we've never got to see with his character. Same applies here as it does with Horatio -- Calleigh is less detached from the both of them, however, Ryan still seems to be quite fond of her & I imagine he does care for her. Losing her would be hard on him, & I'd honestly love to see that for his character.

Can't say much for the others as there isn't much of a relationship there at all. All the same, death of any close friend/co-worker brings on so much potential for those left behind, whether it effects them personally or simply forces them to look at life differently. I personally think they need the shaking up -- the show, & the characters.

In addition, it's time for Eric to have the same curse that Horatio, Jesse, & Natalia have. :p

2. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

Okay, I'm going to get fireback here and I have my kevlar suit on and ready. I LOVE the E/C pairing and romance. I want it to continue into the next season and beyond. I want a happy ending for them like Lindsey and Danny on CSI:NY (not necessariily the baby thing). What I'd like to see, since everyone here has been so vocal, is Horatio gone. I lost respect for the character several seasons ago, really after his and Eric's going to Rio. He's the one that killed Riaz. While Eric's respect level took a hit with that, he bounced back as a good guy and got bit by the schemeing Carmen Henney. Horatio continued in a downward spiral to the point of taking the law into his own hands. Lost respect and think CSIM would be better with a new Lt., new actor or elevated current, whomever that would be.

I don't want him killed off. I want him to retire to a nice pension and realise that who he has become is not whom he wanted to be as a CSI and a human being. I want a really touching and poignant episode, here. A real swan song. It could have cool scenarios for a final show of his. Hey, CSI survived the loss of Gil Grissom. Miami can survive without Horatio Caine just like NY could survive without Mac Taylor.

So, I want a positve continuation and resolution for the E/C ship. Sorry you guys hate it, but I love it.

Hey, Florry, what the heck?

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  3. slower

slower Lab Technician

That's just fine and dandy you love. To each their own.

With that being said; I agree that H has done some unsavory things in the past; not some things I really like. But, I don't want him gone either.

Now on to the E/C gag-a-minute, teenage sex romp. It does not come even close to the mature understated romance of Danny and Lindsey. Our main concern (or at least my main issues) is the amount of time and effort this takes away from the crime drama itself; if you want soap drama; tune into daytime television. The angst needs to stop!! This is not the E/C show with almost dying every year or the other issues they have. It should not be this hard for them to be a couple. If tptb wants to keep them together tone it down.

In the next season I don't want a whole episode centered around their wedding, then another around Calleigh giving birth, and then yet another around the kidnapped Delko baby. Can you at least see where this is all leading? The destruction of CSI:Miami. Contrary to what some of the hipphuggers believe some of us do respect that you love this couple. Please don't torture yourself by coming into thius thread; it will only serve to raise your blood pressure. I don't go over to the E/C thread b/c that's what happens to me.:):lol:

4. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Most of us would be fine and dandy with an E/C romance if:

1. They hadn't sacrificed other characters for it. For the last couple of seasons it's taken center stage, and good actors have been shoved into the background (a real career killer; I suspect that's a big reason why Khandi Alexander left)

2. The forensics drama hadn't been dumbed down. Somehow it's no coincidence that the forensic detail went out the window about the time this whole thing started. I guess they had to take out all those intelligent details to get more shots of Eric looking concerned over Calleigh or just those two seconds of holding hands.

3. It's completely unbelievable! I won't repeat myself here about why.

They managed to work the H/Y and H/Y/S into the shows just fine. Though it wasn't perfect, the writers at that time did a good job of maintaining the show's integrity and its other characters. Unfortunately, Emily and Adam have tweeted their fans, and now the inmates are running the asylum, so to speak. They did to Rick Stetler what they did to Dan Cooper--just slap something together and get him out of the way with no regard for the characters themselves or storylines. Judging from the emails and im's I've received from disgruntled fans, I'm not sure they have any idea how much of their audience they're alienating with this suicide mission.

5. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

So what? Is there a problem? I happened to change my view on Calleigh in a dramatic way and I wish it hadn't happened...at all, but oh well it happened so I have to live with it.....we all have to live with that ;)

6. aussieturtle

aussieturtle Witness

Hi guys. I suppose I ought to start with my stance. I am a fan of Calleigh, not quite so much of Eric, but I certainly dont dislike him. I have no clue how he managed to keep a job in law enforcement after being busted for drugs, but aside from that I think hes great. I think they are a good enough couple together, not perfect but no relationship is. As for the ship itself, I'm neutral. I'm all for them being together as long as its on the backburner. As I said in another thread it seems like every episode at the moment is 'will the relationship survive this week?'

I know a lot of people who say that there shouldnt be any romance and it should be all about the science, but it is a drama tv show, so maybe those people should watch a documentary on forensic scientists instead. However with that comment I'm not saying that it should be a soap that happens to be set in a crime lab. Of course theres going to be unrealistic pairings and lots of injuries to the team that wouldnt normally happen so often in real life, but thats why its backstory, so that people dont really mind who is with who as long as they catch the bad guy.

And also, it seems more of a dalliance than a romance. They dont seem overly serious. It seems I am with quite a few people in saying that I would be fine with it if it was massively toned down. We dont need constant reminding that they are together, cant they just let them be a normal for a bit without putting their relationship in jeopardy every single case?

Also, Emily and Adam would like it of course, becaue the romance is actually fairly popular, so if its getting the show ratings, the writers wouldnt dare kill one of them off. So the actors pretty much have a guaranteed high priority story as long as Eric and Calleigh are together.

And I too have noticed that the stories are so much more bland since they started going out. The cases used to be interesting with strange twists. Now it just seems to be a generic murder victim is found, then lots of drama about Eric and Calleigh and their relationship, and then a bit at the end where they get the guy, then finish it off with a sappy scene between the two of them.

And it may not have seemed relevant, but although I have no problems with the relationship as such, I do hate how its become the priority for a show thats supposed to be about catching the murderer. So in that sense, I certainly do not like the EC storyline at the moment.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

To be honest, what I'm most annoyed with is the show runners lying to us. They hyped up "Time Bomb" saying it would be all about how the ultimate betrayal affected Horatio in a way we've never seen him affected before, yet the focus of the episode was more on Eric's investigation and how that affected him and his relationships with his teammates and his girlfriend. That would all be fine (I'd have no problem with that) if they hadn't told us that the focus would be on Horatio's reaction to the betrayal. Horatio was a background character in this episode/storyline. I just hate being lied to. I'm gonna put the blame for that particular issue on the show runners who flat out lied to us about the episode rather than on the writers of this particular episode.

Disclaimer: Now these next thoughts are just suggestions for the writers/ptb. I'm going to try to be as respectful as I can towards those who ship E/C. I don't mean any offense by anything I'm about to say. It's just my attempt to explain why there may be so much negativity going on towards the storyline. Please do not take offense by any of this.

In all honesty, I can handle the romance storyline when its subtle and in the background (like I did with GSR- not a fan of that pairing either), but I feel that the writers have not always gone about it the best way (in some eps, it's subtle and I have no issues with it at all). I don't mind an episode here and there dedicated to the relationship (I won't deny the shippers that), as I believe that all characters should get an ep dedicated to them (each season)... but sometimes it's a little overwhelming to some viewers and that makes it a little bit frustrating for some viewers. I believe this may be what has made some react negatively to the E/C romance.

As for the ending scene of "Time Bomb": The episode was apparently written to be about Eric's relationships with THE ENTIRE TEAM, not just with Calleigh. So, to me I feel like it would have been cohesive with the theme of the episode to have it end with a moment between the ENTIRE team and not just E/C. This is where they (the writers) seem to have a bit of trouble. They can still have E/C moments with the rest of the team around. They could have had Eric and Calleigh at Ryan's helping everyone else clean up, but then Eric could have pulled Calleigh aside and they could have had their talk and ended the episode there rather than having the talk on the dock or whatever. I'm not asking them to ax all E/C scenes, I'm only asking for a compromise. Have E/C scenes and team moments together like the example above. When they make it where it's just E/C, this is why they have so many fans feeling all this resentment towards the writers (and sometimes towards the actors/characters/storyline). If they could just better find that balance, perhaps some of the negativity would calm down. :shrugs:

8. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

In fact, the ratings have become as dismal as the storylines with this ongoing nomance; dropping steadily this season, to a new low of #20 last week. Agreed, it seems to be popular with the almighty preferred demo, but remains justifiably unpopular with the majority of viewers. Worse, both characters have lost fans because of it, many who originally favored the pairing, but have grown weary of the teen-inspired angst that permeates nearly every episode.

I recall how unpopular Horatio/Marisol was in Season 4. It was a blessing that DC and AD recognized that and killed it quickly.

Unfortunately, this E/C lunacy is being kept on the front burner at the urging of the actors themselves, listening to their most vocal cadre of fans, instead of the fandom in general, who are diametrically opposed.

If the Danny/Lindsay pairing had been handled as poorly as E/C has been, and allowed to overwhelm the entire cast and every script, CSI NY might likely be off the air by now.

9. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Thank you!!!!! That's all I can say because you got my real issue with the whole episode :thumbsup:

10. greatfan

greatfan Captain

As much as I enjoyed the episode, it ending with E/C was a downer for me.For an episode that was such a huge betrayal for Horatio,it shoudn't have ended that way.Another team member was framed and arrested which certainly would affect his relationship with the team,again,it should not have ended with E/C/ .There should have been some type of Horatio moment, if not that ,definitely a team moment,with all the team. That has been a big problem for me in more than one episode,Eric and Calleigh being a team all to themselves,and then there's everyone else.
    It's not getting the ratings. Episodes with E/C moments have been no higher for the most,in fact some have had lower ratings.The ratings simply don't support the attention that the storyline is receiving.

Great post GNRF, thanks.

11. mjszud

mjszud Captain

And they've had it for the last 3 seasons -- I say it's past time the other characters have a "high priority" storyline. I'm sure Adam nor Procter would have no idea how to handle not having all the attention, but this is an ensemble cast & the show doesn't have to revolve around E/C or E and C -- I wish they (Procter & Adam) could get that through thier enormous heads. The 2 don't seem to care though, unfortunatly. All they ever tend to gab about is thier own characters & thier nomance -- it doesn't say much for respect of fellow castmates or the show itself when they wish to have it turned assbackwards just so they can have thier own characters play house.....& play it terribly I might add.

12. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Just wanted to say a couple things in here.

Comments like these:

need to be toned down a bit. When we're dealing with physical attributes, it's hard to separate the two (characters and actors) so there's a fine line there. I'd prefer if we kept the comments geared towards the romance* and if we're going to bring up the actors, what goes on with regards to the storyline as they are officially stated (interviews, videos, articles etc.).

Also, if we're going to speak about what the actors have said, it's best to do so dispassionately as it's more productive. I think it's entirely possible to discuss why we don't like the romance without taking shots at the actors and speculating about what goes on behind the scenes without an official statement. Things like this breed rumors which, frankly there are enough of out there. :p I don't think this is too much to ask.

For the most part, things are okay in here and I thank those who contribute to a productive environment. The above are a couple of concerns to keep in mind and everyone's cooperation in the matter would be greatly appreciated. :) Any comments and questions can be PMed to myself or FieldMouse. Thanks!

*constructive criticism of the characters (what they say/do/how they react etc.) as always, is fine.

13. mjszud

mjszud Captain

My apologies, Geni. ;) It was knee-jerk reaction to the "news".
    Honestly, I would never expect an actor to dislike a storyline like this -- so, my nags are not necessarily about Procter liking the storyline, it's fine that she does. I guess I just see such an enormous difference between her comments & the ones from the other leading ladies of the franchise that it makes it all the more frustrating to constantly hear her gloat over the storyline. I recently read a wonderful interview with Marg Helgenberger & was just amazed at how she handled herself in commenting on her own characters' love interest -- she spoke like a true leading lady putting the show & all the other characters above everything else, but still noting that she was enjoying the subtly-played love interest angle. More importantly, also noting that they would never turn it into a soap opera. Gosh, how I wish someone would take notes from her & the Vegas writers (perhaps this is why they're still able to hold 15 million viewers & Miami is continuing to nose-dive)!!

Again, my apologies to anyone I offended, most especially the Mods who I know have had to work overtime in this forum lately. But, I still stand by my every word & opinion about this nomance. I just feel it would be much easier to swallow if this storyline (& commentary from the actors) wasn't always thrown in our faces & down our throats as it has been since mid-season 5. I've been saying it since season 7, it's just time to move the show forward, and if it must be with E/C then stick them on the backburner where "love stories" belong -- other actors & their fans would be thrilled to see the spotlight turned on them.

14. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

It's not only frustrating, it's sad. One day this show is going to get canceled, and I truly hope Miss Emily doesn't find herself typecast and unable to find a job as anything but Calleigh.

It's saddening because Miami doesn't have to be imploding like this. It's saddening because so much good talent is either leaving or being ignored.

15. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

You don't have to apologize to anyone for this comment honey 'cause I'm actually glad you wrote such a thing because that is exactly what is soo disappointing me about Emily Procter.

Again, I am not disappointed in her as a person 'cause I happen to like cheerful people, but I'm truely disappointed in her as an actress.
    Lately, I'm getting attacked from a personal level because of my so "sudden" change of opinion on her. I always feel I shouldn't have changed my opinion, but, at the same time I know I did the right thing, at least from my POV.

I've always considered her a very talented actress and I've always enjoyed her interviews 'cause, at first, they didn't consider any of this mess. They were about her personal stuff along with something concerning both Calleigh and the other characters of the show. But lately all they've been about was:
    -personal stuff (desire to have a baby and the idea of becoming an interior designer..because she's tired of working in this business)
    - E/C romance.
    Nothing has ever been said of the other characters and the show itself.

This, in my honest opinion, is not how a leading actress of what used to be the leading show of CBS shouold do. I am not saying that she's selfish or anything else....only thing I've noticed is that Eva once was asked about Calleigh's romance....someones else was asked about the romance but I've never heard any interview concerning the show as a whole from Emily. While there's a small attempt from Adam (quite ridiculous I might add considering my opinion on his return :rolleyes:), I can't see any attempt from her.

That is quite disappointing for me.

As for Calleigh I also happened to read something about the characters having developed in such a realistic way all over the years.
    Well I don't see any development for 2 characters like Calleigh andEric....because if the show was to be realistic, they both would be six feet under (she would have committed suicide and Eric would have died during at least the second brain surgery) instead of being constantly pouting on the screen because of whatever crap TPTB write for them.

I can't see any development and it is quite depressing for me to see both the show and an actress I really used to love imploding and getting themselves destroyed. This is incredible and depressing.

But oh well that's the way both Emily Procter and Adam Rodriguez decided to go on with their career. I can only say I'm truely disappointed in both of them 'cause, at least, I could have expected such a mess from TPTB but not from the actors themselves.
    Before anyone starts rambling and attacking me another time, this is not a pure speculations this what the show has been telling us in all these years, this is what actors have been making with their own interviews and ideas even if TPTB may have ignored some of them.