"MEAT JEKYLL" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, May 15, 2010.

1. Elayne

Elayne Police Officer

Here's my two cents' worth. I'm leaning toward the idea that Langston will die, or at least be injured severely enough that he can't continue as a CSI. I know all about the twitter message and about the contract that LF has supposedly signed. But until CBS issues a press release, it's not official. And just because a contract's been signed doesn't mean that it's for all of Season 11. Take Jorja Fox as a case in point. Her contract ran out at the end of season 7, and she signed another one covering the first six episodes of season 8. And as we all recall, TPTB are pretty good about security re actors signing/not signing contracts.

I've seen a lot of criticism about the security around Haskell in the jail but after Barkely allowed himself to be lured into stunning Haskell, resulting in a minor injury to the prisoner, the police probably decided to avoid future such events and rely on cameras for surveillance for the rest of what they thought would be Haskell's brief stay. After all, Jekyll's caught, so Haskell would be headed back to Ely the next day. I agree Ray was dumb to turn his back on Haskell, but hey, this is the same still-inexperienced CSI that didn't think to check under the blanket when chasing Jekyll through the hospital. (A mistake Nick wouldn't have made. Just look at the way he made all the doctors in the operating room unmask and vouch for each other.)

People have complained that their glasses wouldn't make good shivs. Well, glasses bought at places like Sears, Pearle Vision, or other big chain stores, probably wouldn't. But I doubt that's not where the State of Nevada buys glasses for its charges. They probably buy cheap, hard-plastic frames in bulk. The piece that I saw Haskell hide away looked to have a pretty good point already from the break; it wouldn't have needed much sharpening.

A final thought about Jekyll. Could he possibly have sneaked into Langston's seminar, where we first met Haskell. How else would Haskell have made the leap from a wierd way of presenting pasta to connect the cook with the Jekyll murders unless he had seen the cook in the audience at Langston's seminar.

2. Georgyboy

Georgyboy Victim

It's been awhile since I was here...good to be back...anyway loved this episode...Nick being the hero very enjoyable...I loved the whole team working together...seemed like old times...I can't wait until September to see what happens....

3. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Welcome back, georgyboy! It certainly was a great episode, wasn't it? :)

My issue with the security isn't that no one was around when Ray was stabbed. It's that Haskell was being transported in shackles to LV with a thousand cop caravan and then left loose in a cell with one dopey cop watching him. Doesn't make sense.

I'm sure his glasses made a good weapon. But....Ray's pretty....thick? Was the shiv long enough to go that deep?? Anyway, I'm pretty sure Haskell could have made the thing with his glasses at anytime without Barclay noticing. :lol:

I wonder about that too, because we were told, weren't we, that we'd seen Jekyll before. Maybe he was in the class.

4. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

You know I was just rewatching part of the episode earlier today and I found it awkward that all the others but Ray was wearing their CSI jacket, vest, etc in the scene when they all go into the old restuarant. Is he too high and mighty now to wear the CSI wear?

5. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I noticed that today too! :lol: But it made me think of how he was when he first came on the show, and then they said they were going to give him a "makeover" and he started wearing the vest. Maybe they're trying to re-invent him as he used to be.

6. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

They can reinvent him as many ways as they want, it still won't get me to become a fan of his. I'll always care more about the originals to the show than him. :lol:

I just think making him dress different from the others gives me the impression that he is in charge and I do not like that impression.

7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Yeah he never wears the vest..c'mon Fish..put on the vest!!:guffaw:

8. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

I was not riveted by the ending and I really won't worry too much, if not all about if Ray lives or not, that was too small of a point to really create anything much other than some mild discomfort....I agree he is too thick for any major organ to have been compromised. I wish they had kept us guessing about Nick's status, because that would have caused a frenzy in the fanfiction world and on the boards...but we know he is fine and in actuality he made the quickest recovery I have ever seen from a shot gun blast to the arm and shoulder. Guess there is always next year and fanfic.:rolleyes:

9. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Police Officer

Thanks Smokey. I'm glad others agree.

I hadn't noticed the vest thing with Ray - but yes it sets the rookie apart.

Absolutely. And how many people knew Billy Petersen as "high profile name" at the START of CSI??

CSI has made George, Eric, Marg, Paul G & Jorja (though she was already familiar from ER) - much more "high profile names" than our beloved BP was at the time. (Ok Manhunter, TL&DiLA fans don't kill me you know what I mean).

Just think how the change of lead has worked out so differently in Criminal Minds? Joe M is technically the lead but the "main character" is definitely Hodge with the rest of the ensemble coming very close behind.

I totally agree with who ever said (sorry) about the team ganging up against Brass. The team all going to Rays house (like they did once for Grissom remember) I think in this case it is to teach Ray to be part of the team. Something Grissom (as WP did) instill in them.

I am sure we are seeing in the characters the same dynamics as is going on, perhaps subconsciously, of a movie star in LF replacing a theatre ensemble actor and the different tones these two leads defined on set.

10. Zipster

Zipster Witness

The constant debate about LF is interesting - even after two seasons has passed. I understand a lot of the arguments made, although some people's "I want the old crew, nothing else will do" attitudes seem childish if I may be so bold. Of course I want Billy back, he's the sole reason I watched the show. I'm still annoyed that they killed off Warrick for godness sake, but c'est la vie!

I really liked Sara in this season and I'm not the only one who thinks bringing her back saved this season. Actually for me it saved this franchise. All the cast work well together. I've never felt that Ray's character (or LF himself) was beiing given preferential treatment by the writers (in this season) but they certainly did in the last season and that was a miskate. A mistake that spawned a lot of anger towards him. Does this take away his skill as an actor? No of course not. I do wonder how receptive people would have been to LF if Billy hadn't left the show. I'd wager that LF would have had a lot less criticism thrown at him as it has been.

On topic: This episode was extremly good. I really enjoyed how they got most of the cast in it - even if it was fleeting. I was however dissapointed by Jekyll if I'm honest. "I wanted to be a Doctor waaaa" hmm.. The actor didn't strike me as the right choice for this cold, calculating sadistic killer we were leading up to. I also agree with a lot of the views expressed about the use of Ray as the red herring. I felt dissapointed by the the writers here. I'm not stupid so after you dropped the first 5 clues pointing at Ray and dismissed them, I was able to make my own mind up that he wasn't the guy. Throughout this entire season the one this I've been impresed with is the grass routes approach to the characters we've all come to love and hate. Special mention for me this season: Nick, Sara, Brass and Doc Robins and Dave. I'm not massively impressed by Catherine but I do like her. She's a character that was much better (in my opinion) as a foil for someone like Grissom. She was at her best when she was covering for Grissom's inability to perform supervisor admin tasks, or when she was pushing him to be harder on his subordinates. It's interesting that when it came time for him to give her a little telling off, it felt like he was awkward and she knew it. I liked that about her. I don't feel her character fits well as a Supervisor, but clearly she has come a long way.

Nick has been supreme this season and in this episode - although - taking a shotgun blast the way he did, one wonders how he could calmly lay there for as long as he did without being in some form of pain. Didn't strike me as all that reaslitic, given the amout of blood loss he suffered. One expects a little moaning etc.. nevertheless I think Warrick would have been very proud of how far Nick has come.

Greg they need to take in a new direction. I'm (dare I say it) a little bored of him. I need something juicy to keep my interest in him. The Lab techs are all great, and I really enjoyed the odd episode where they were the focus.

Sorry this turned out to be a lot longer then I realised. All in all an enjoyable episode for a much better season.

Z :thumbsup:

11. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

He needed some development last season, and the vast majority of people that tune into CBS every night to watch their "crime stories" probably have no problem with the cast changes.

12. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

During the scene where Nick was slowly going for his gun I had such a horrible feeling that Jekyll was going to notice and shoot him again, I was so relieved that didn't happen.

As for Ray, so I guess TPTB are expecting everyone to wait with baited breath to see if he lives or dies. Well I won't be, unlike Warrick's shooting where I had some emotion invested in his character after 8 yrs, I have absolutely none for Ray. Put it simply, I just could care less.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  13. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Sorry for the late posting. I've been away visiting family. I did watch this ep when it aired, just wasn't able to post comments. And let me tell you how great it is to watch it for once with people who like CSI. My brother and his wife are awesome!

Alright, on to the ep. I liked it. Much better than last year's finale. I felt that everyone got good screen time and the guests actors were great.

Nick, hands down, was awesome. I figured he would be the one to get shot. My brother and his wife however kept going with their belief that it would be Greg. I was a little worked up going into it - Greg is my favorite. So I was a little relieved that Nick was the one (sorry Nick fans :lol: :p). His cool composure after getting shot was great. And I do believe this was the first time Nick not only killed someone - but was actually able to hit his target! :lol: (Shameless baiting of Nick fans, right here)

I also enjoyed the contention between Brass, Catherine and Ray. I'm siding with Brass on this one. Yes the Crime Lab does operate somewhat independently from the PD (although they do report to the Undersheriff), but Catherine should have given Brass a courtesy call about releasing Haskell.

The show stealer was definitely Haskell. That guy has a creepy 'Hannibal Lecter' vibe. And his rant about serial killer names was great. I've been saying from the beginning that Jekyll was the good personality. When Haskell said it, I was like "See! I TOLD you!!" :lol: The way he got Ray in the end was unexpected and I liked that. I knew he was going to do something and that Ray would be the victim - but the simple act of shiving someone? Awesome. The fact that I know LF is coming back next season lessons the impact of it though. But Haskell needs to come back. He is the best villain this show has had in my opinion.

As for Jekyll himself. Meh. I was a little disappointed in the guy. The great evil doctor was a dude with daddy issues. Meh.

Despite Jekyll himself, the episode was great. Haskell was, to me, the main villain of the piece. And what a superb villain he is.

A great finale to a quite remarkable season. I'll discuss the season as a whole in a later in thread. The episode itself was great and I can't wait for next season.

14. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Boy, lots of different theories on here, the diverstiy is amazing. And on "I want the original cast back", the only ones that are gone, Grissom and nobody forced WP to leave, he did that on his own, so that's a given. I know people who've never heard of William Petersen but everyone's heard of Laurence Fishburne:thumbsup: & why Gary Dourdan/Warrick got killed off, I still don't know why that happened maybe someday he'll explain. And on Dr. Langston, they couldn't have chosen a more dedicated amazing actor. We watched a movie with him last night called "HOODLUM", [a true story about a gangster "Bumpy" Johnson in the 30's] where he showed his soft side, his angry side and full blown violent brutal side. Riveting, electrifying performance. My point, I think Carol Mendolshon, and writers watched many of this actors former work and realized he would be perfect for this role on CSI, which he is. She stated that "his acting range is incredible" I think way back when they did have John Malkovich, and Kurt Russell as potential candidates for this role. But, they choose him and he accepted and that's so wonderful. And he's hardly the "new guy" he came on in the middle of S/9, and every episodes he's been in is better for his appearance, my opinion and may others as well. He's captivating and compelling and I am thrilled that he's on CSI. What is so great and in "Meat Jekyll" , and "Doctor Who", is how the team backs him up on every occasion. The "stint/shive" that freak-show Haskall used was I think from the broken glasses, which was a shocker, but he will be back for S/11, and I'm looking forward to seeing him and his amazing acting in another season:bolian:

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  15. Zipster

Zipster Witness

Well put. I think it's the very bitter anger aimed at LF and some of the very unkind things written that dissapoints me the most, like as if LF had something to do with Billy leaving... :lol: