"Lost and Found" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 1, 2010.

1. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

I hope this doesn't sound overly morbid or sick but it's these kinds of episodes that keep me into watching CSI for so long. I remember these episodes much longer than say the Mini cases or The Blue Paint Killer. These kinds of episodes show me what humans are capable of doing to one another and I've always found that interesting and captivating. I'm sorry that you cried, Desertwind. It was indeed a dark episode but a good one.

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Thank's AFIS Guess this one really got to me, I was hoping the family would all be found OK, I was so stunned when they found the boy in that trunk, and that he's been there all along:( but on a high note CSI came in at the #1 spot in the 9:00 clock slot with 14.2 millions fans~

Zap2it.com

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I wasn't stunned at all. The promo gave it away for me. That expression of Nick's when he opened the box as much as told me "oh the youngest child is gonna be deceased". They shouldn't have shown that expression in the promo.

The daughter tried to tell her mother what the uncle was doing to her, but the mother wouldn't even attempt to believe her or even try to listen to what she had to say. The mother even said that her daughter would be a better mother and that she didn't treat her daughter right, so at least the mother admitted that much. But the father didn't handle things right either. He should have taken the daughter to get examined and then shown his wife the proof and demanded that the wife apologize to the daughter. Then they should have pressed charges against the uncle. The daughter should have said to the brother, "mom already knows and she doesn't care or doesn't believe me". maybe that would have shut the brother up and he wouldn't have had to die... though she didn't mean to kill him.

But yeah, a lot of things could have been done differently, but the mother had the first responsibility to stop it and she didn't. The daughter told her she didn't want the uncle around anymore and instead of asking why the mother basically told her to stop being a brat and it was her house and she'd have over whomever she wanted. I think if my daughter said something like that to me, I'd be like "why don't you want him over here? was he mean to you?" rather than just sweep it aside as the daughter being difficult. Parents' first obligation is to protect their children. That being said, the girl should have told her father what the uncle was doing and let him handle it instead of going to the mother that she knew wouldn't believe her.

4. CSI17

CSI17 Hit and Run

Now I see why CSI is leading with plentiest viewers. This was a great episode, despite the way the events turned out. As a girl, I felt for the daughter, Emily. It hurt to even imagine myself be put in that position were you violated by someone close to your family, especially a relative and to feel so alone because your own mother wouldn't believe you. When she was explaining to Catherine what happened, I could feel tears well up in my eyes. I just felt so much for her. And to think that Andy and her father died for the wrong reasons was even sadder. He was only trying to protect his daughter and if I were in his place, who knows what I would have done for my daughter just so she could be at peace. I think the reason why they didn't approach the police is for Emily's sake. Maybe she didn't want to go through the whole process of remembering everything again and describing every detail. Maybe she just wanted to start all over again. A new life. And what father wouldn't give that after what she had been through. The mother, well, she killed her husband because he thought he killed their child, which I think is a natural reaction especially after she thought her husband got her daughter pregnant too.

I love Nick in this episode because it just shows how well he connects with the victims and how he symphatizes with them. His interaction with Conner was very sweet. It really shows his soft side. We also see Brass' other side, which is a plus one for me, because we get to learn more about his character and we see how it developed over the seasons.

When I found out that the "uncle" was behind all this, I wasn't so surprised. Actually, I was seething mad. It just frustrates me to see that he could do that to Emily and her family who trusted him and let them in their house. All that fake pretense he did that he actually cared about finding them made me more mad. Just goes to show what anybody is capable of doing. He didn't even look guilty or bothered by his conscience. People like him are what I hate. I'd happily sit down and watch them get hung one by one.

5. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

For me it's a great episode! Very dramatic. Agree to what most of you said. Happy to know that it was written by an old writer for CSI. Welcome back and stay! Okay? :)

It's a 9.5/10 for me. I deducted 0.5 because they said that the ending was something that the fans wouldn't see coming. Unfortunately, not so much... And the story was something familiar to me. I couldn't remember what episode it was.

6. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

It was an interesting episode. But for some odd reason, the episode reminded me of "Still Life."

7. GregNickRyanFan

I don't remember that ep that much, but I thought of "Blood Drops". And when the woman told Nick he probably thinks she's crazy for consulting a psychic and Nick says no, he's learned to keep an open-mind, I thought of the psychic that came to his place in "Stalker".

8. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Blood Drops and Still Life....it had echoes of both for me. As for the psychic, I never even thought of Stalker, but you're probably right. My first thought tho was definitely shades of Sage in Gum Drops. :)

I've watched again (and again!), and I have to say, besides the absurdity of the way LV cops seem to be stripped of their guns so easily, how many times have we seen the confrontations in the police station between people who obviously shouldn't see each other? The whole thing about bringing the husband in while the wife was still there...shouldn't have happened. I know Brass said something about getting her out of there, but still...

And on that happy note :lol: I'm unsticking the thread, but please feel free to continue the discussion! :)

9. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

The mother just tackled the police guy and went Rambo on a suspect and no one did anything. They stared at her like, "OMG, she has my gun...wonder if I should take it back?". Brass was so shocked and Catherine was happy she could brandish her gun around. I guess everyone at the police station thought the mother was crazy but not that crazy.

10. GregNickRyanFan

I forgot all about Sage. How did I forget her? :lol:

11. Smokey

I don't know! :lol: Especially since I just wrote a story about her for the challenge. :)

Really, tho, this episode goes into my favorites. And that's getting rarer and rarer in these later seasons. ;)

12. byline

byline CSI Level One

Well, there was some fault . . . though it's only because he was doing what most kids would normally do in that situation: Tell Mom and Dad. And because he was closer to his mother, that's naturally who he was going to tell. Which, of course, was the worst-case scenario for the daughter, who had always had a troubled relationship with her mother, so her mother was about the last person she'd want to know. Not to mention the fact that she tried to tell her mother what her uncle was doing to her, but her mother just wouldn't listen, so she blamed her mom for what happened.

As others have pointed out, everyone was a victim . . . but everyone also carried at least some responsibility in what happened. So much of this could have been avoided had people just listened to one another, rather than jumping to conclusions.

Great episode. I could see the mother's snapping coming a mile away (telegraphed by the moment Smokey describes below), and I also suspected the uncle almost from the get-go, but good writing and top-notch acting pulled it all together.

Yeah, this was the part where I sort of rolled my eyes, because of course you just know what's going to happen. And, sure enough, it did. There's got to be an official protocol for this sort of thing, so that victims and the accused aren't constantly meeting up in the hallway. My husband hasn't seen the episode yet, but I know that when he does, he's going to be all, "Oh, not again, another hallway meeting?"

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  13. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

That was a great episode.In fact it was one of the best in the season.It reminded me a bit of the early seasons where the stories were more compelling.Brass and Nick did an amazing job in the episode.I have pointed out that Catherine's screentime has reduced a lot in the latest episodes-what's up with that?
    Less than 36 hours before the new episode...I can't wait for that one!!!

14. Smokey

Scheduled to repeat Thursday, 12/30. :)

15. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

I loved this one, one of the best of last season, I'll definatley be watching even if there wasn't a promo for Man Up :)