What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

BLOOD QUANTUM- new csi lv book they author pairs Nick and Ray together for this one ( NOT SURPRISED)

2. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

Ginger: My Story by Ginger Rogers. i love and adore Ginger Rogers so i had to read this book. i just started reading it and so far it's really good.

3. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I'm reading The Shack. I'm really not into religious writings or books but so far this is far more gut-wrenching than I thought.

My mother also gave me A Reliable Wife (a NY Times best seller)

I think it will be a change of pace after what I have read of The Shack.

4. FieldMouse

FieldMouse Hub Master Moderator

I'm currently reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation.

A must read for all "punctuation vigilantes". :lol:

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ yeah that was quite a good little book, but i am an ex grammar fascist, my linguistics degree has kind of knocked that out of me!

i'm reading "darkness at noon" by arthur koestler, it's about a guy imprisoned by a totalitarian state, sort of along the lines of 1984, i guess. the state's never specified but it's very reminiscent of a lot of soviet prisoner books (especially stuff by solzhenitsyn, who wrote a lot of them, and they were based on personal experience) and this guy lived in the soviet union (and i think was also in prison there) for a while so i'm guessing it's at least based on that. it's pretty good.

i'm also reading a book about sam shepard's plays, they're always interesting, and good for coming up with new ideas about the lovely austin ;)

and i'm reading various travel guides to the usa, including maps, preparing for my trip there.

*and* i'm reading a ton of very heavy, very intellectual books on proust for my essay, but not much is going in.

6. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

My Shit Life So Far by Frankie Boyle

7. smacked4ever

smacked4ever Prime Suspect

lookig for some good books toread by either james patterson or dean koontz

8. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

I am currently reading We need to talk about kevin by Lionel Shriver, its quite a good book, different to others i have read, it is a series of letters narrated by the mother of a school shooter explaining about his life and upbringing

9. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Battle of the Labirynth, the (probably horribly spelled) fourth book of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I read number one on Thursday and 2 and 3 yesterday, so obviously they're pretty good. ;)

10. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I'm currently reading Wake by Robert J. Sawyer. This is the first in the WWW trilogy. Wake was published last year and Watch was released earlier this month.

Wake deals with Caitlin Decter an intelligent blind teenager that likes to surf the net. She jumps at a chance to see when a scientist offers her a chance to see with the aid of an implant. What the implant actually lets her see is the World Wide Web.

Wake has also been nominated for a Hugo Award for best Science Fiction book.

11. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Just finished H.G. Wells' The Time Machine. Haven't read it in years but when I saw the end of the movie on TV I decided it was time to read it again. :)

Now I'm reading James Patterson's I, Alex Cross. I've been waiting for this one for months at the library. New releases aren't really 'new' any more when our library finally gets them on the shelves. :lol: I'm about half way through (Patterson goes fast!) and so far we have a niece, Caroline, who's dead and Nana's in the hospital in a coma from a heart attack.

Jacquie, you got me to get Wake out of the library. I'll read it next. New releases are due after 2 weeks so I, Alex Cross is first so I don't forget it's due earlier.

12. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

I just finished reading The Mayor Of Casterbridge and I'm about to start my exams so no more reading for awhile. If you want to read TMOC...don't. It's sort of boring and it's one of those books that takes some time to get really into.

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ oh, that kind of makes me sad because thomas hardy really is a wonderful writer - although i do see what you mean, his style can be quite slow and he writes in south west english dialect a lot which can be tough to get into even for a brit. that is meant to be his best novel, i really should get around to it, maybe i'll put it on my kindle when it arrives. you should try tess of the d'urbervilles - that has a great story, although it's so so tragic. i love jude the obscure as well but that's quite tough to get into, even though once you do it's a great story and one of the saddest books ever...

i'm reading saturday night and sunday morning by alan sillitoe, it's the archetypal english working class novel - so far it's great :)

14. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I've recently been reading the "Girl with the dragon tattoo" series well the "millenium" trilogy as i think its classed an i have to say i have thoroughly enjoyed them.

I'm at the moment reading "The Girl who kicked the hornets' nest" which is the last in the series.

I had to say when i started reading the 1st chapter of the 1st book it is slow and you start to think where is it leading then once it unfolds its pure curiosity which i think made me read and the suspense as it gets more and more serious and you think you might have worked it out then it twists at the end and it does leave you a tad baffled.

Mainly tho i love them for the main character Salander who is not you typical female character and you kind of want to see where it leads.

I do tho recommend that you read the 1st before starting any of the others as they do intwine and it definitely helps otherwise you could be thoroughly confused.

15. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I took out A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer from my school library yesterday and surprisingly finished it in one night (I hardly ever do that no matter how short a book is). I went looking for the sequel "The Lost Boy" in my school library but the librarian said it was lost, so after school I went to the public library and took it out. So I'm reading that at the moment.

I'm also halfway through Darkness Be My Friend by John Marsden, book four in The Tomorrow Series. :D