Episode 8x20 - "Backfire" - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Apr 17, 2010.

1. greatfan

greatfan Captain

It doesn't appear to be the case.

2. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

:guffaw::lol::guffaw::lol:

I agree BauerAlameida, he was back to being Ryan again in this episode. I don't understand the constant tinkering; it is getting beyond ridiculous.

Unlike during Spring Break, I could see where Ryan was coming from with the fire. Given the information that he had at the time, it seemed a pretty logical conclusion that the kid could have started the fire. If he had been with Jesse and Walter later (by the way, where DID Ryan disappear to?) he would have seen the gathered information that would have shown him that the fire was started by someone else and the kid was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Jumping to conclusions without evidence isn't Ryan and another example of the ignorance and lack of consistancy of this writing staff.

This season the writers act as if they don't know what to do with Ryan as if he just joined the cast as opposed to being with the show for several years. Why the constant deviations? If I thought this was going somewhere and he was going to learn and grow in a positive way from this, maybe I could understand. But if it does lead somewhere, it will just land him in trouble again, a tired boring storyline at best.

Has there been turnover in the writing staff we don't know about or is just laziness and a lack of imagination in a staff who has been with the show for awhile? Either way, this staff needs a refresher course on the character of Ryan Wolfe.

3. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Okay, I was home sick this pm, so I went ahead and watched it on cbs.com.

Hospital scenes (and Calleigh's getting out so quickly) were hokier than a $3 bill. Here she just went into cardiac arrest, had an epi shot straight into the heart, and in one day she can cuddle Eric and roll in that morgue drawer (which is quite heavy when loaded, btw). All in those 6" heels. What a gal!

I agree with whoever said it--if there must be an E/C moment, have Eric sit with her at her bedside and steal some of her yummy lime Jello. :p Why does E/C always have to be wrapped up in pain and angst? Don't CSI's ever have fun, playful moments? I think it would've been quite fitting for her (or both of them) to visit his grave two or three episodes down the road, when she's feeling better.

Love how nobody ever wears coveralls or shoe coverings to a fire scene. Love the interaction between Jesse and Walter when checking the wall draft.

Speaking of hokey, that fire department should've known there were chemicals in a house under renovation, making it a hazmat situation. Where were their oxygen tanks?

I won't hold my breath waiting for Rick Stetler to chew Calleigh out about violating procedure and putting other members of the team at risk.

I'm really glad Ryan was the nice, knowledgeable Ryan this time. I was getting really tired of that Jekyll/Hyde Ryan. But if they're trying to make Ryan/Dr. Loman like the old Horatio/Rick headbutting, it's not working. I don't know whether it's poor writing or the actors just don't pull it off well, but they look more like a couple of jerks with a chip on their shoulders.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  4. Missing

Missing Pathologist

Why is it when I had a small fire in my kitchen I could barely see the living room but in the opening fire scene you could see everywhere and Calleigh had no trouble locating the boy....and then the huge fireball that came out the door and she didnt even have hair that was singed...Made for a good laugh at least.

5. gottaluvcsi

gottaluvcsi Police Officer

Yep, I noticed that, but she could have waited. Because he was living with his now-jailed grandfather, I doubt family was around. Therefore no one could sign and pick up the body in the morgue.

I would agree that it was a wonderful (made my happy-ending desire smile) yet cheesy ending.

Yes, she's stubborn. But I think Eric would be one to tell her to think about what she's doing and that she should listen to the doctors and stick around especially since this is a very serious condition that could kill her if not treated properly.

Missing: That scene with the fire ball was badly thought through scientific wise. You have a room with a raging fire, oxygen slowly becoming deprived of it, then a door opens and more oxygen flows, making the fire become larger and not get sucked back into the room. Calleigh really should have been singed, I agree 100% with you. But hey, this is Hollywood, they're ladies can't be singed.

I might have just explained that wrongly, long day.

6. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

Someone in Adam's yahoo group pointed out that the viewers watch more when they know he's gonna be in there.

What an episode! So good, I can't stop watching scenes from it. At least they actually put the other characters being sad about Calleigh...by the way the song play when Calleigh was brought back to life is 'this woman's work' by kate bush, it's such a sweet song and it fitted the scene perfectly, the words and everything.

Of course the funny parts: the woman and the buzz saw, Ryan and the sprinkler...AND Calleigh saying 'pull it together Duquesne' I thought that was SOOO fanficy. I was dying with laughter.

7. slower

slower Lab Technician

Adam's yahoo group can't speak for the rest of the fans here who watch regardless if he's there or not, but IMO the ratings have not changed.

Those are the fans who are under the impression that Adam makes up the biggest portion of the fan following and are why fans watch in the first place; I think not!!! Yes there are those who only watch when he's there, I understand that he is there favorite and they would see it this way. I don't mean any disrespect C.H.E.A.R., you're just repeating what someone said.:)

I hated the scenes during Calleigh's resuscitation; Eric should have either been fried from the diffbulator or at least asked to leave the room.:rolleyes: although the other scenes between E/C were subdued and tastefully done. Jesse and Natalia at Calleigh's bedside (writers after thought).

Calleigh leaving the hospital after being in a coma and the afore mentioned resusitation. :rolleyes:

I agree about the funny parts though. :thumbsup: I actually liked Calleigh in this one; she seemed to be more of the old Calleigh.

BTW who is this Kristine that reviews the show? If she is incapable of writing an objective review; then she doesn't need to do the job. Speculations and supporting our favorites is our job.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Oh, thank god I wasn't the only one laughing at Calleigh's moment in the car. I don't know if it was meant to be funny, but just seeing normally stoic Calleigh freaking out like that was pretty funny. Kind of like Ryan in the morgue with the "living dead" in "Curse of the Coffin". :lol:

And you're right, slower... she did seem like the Calleigh of past seasons here. :)

9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I saw that.Did you see that someone else pointed out that there were episodes without Adam that also had higher ratings than some he appeared in ? The first person posted a few episodes that had a higher rating than a Miami episode that was lower rated,but failed to post the higher rating episodes without Adam.For the most part there wasn't a huge difference ratings wise.Some of the Adam episodes had minimal increases,some made no difference at all in the ratings and they remained about the same,and at least one was lower."Delko for the Defense " really was the only one that showed a larger increase.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  10. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

I don't get it either. I am not seeing at all that Ryan is jumping to conclusions. I think she is trying to read too much into it. BTW I don't think Ryan and Tom dislike each other at all. They are just two strong-willed people who like to butt heads for fun.

11. lusiana88

lusiana88 CSI Level One

The funny thing is that actually it was logic since Calleigh is a woman of science and it was normal for her to freak out, I mean, she was talking to a dead person!
    In her being so not Calleigh, she was doing the most logic thing that a person like Calleigh would have done in a situation like that: freak out!
    A funny thing was even that she was addressing herself like Duquesne and not Calleigh...I was so laughing!

12. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I really enjoyed the episode. I wasnt sure about the idea to start with, but I think they played it out well. There was a good amount of Ryan, and he was being the Ryan of old. I loved his and Natalia's interview with that crazy next door neighbour, made me laugh. As did Cal in the car!
    Im not an E/C fan, but I thought Eric being there was sweet (even with the recussitation gaffe) and I didnt think their scenes were too much. I would have liked to have seen Ryan at the hospital with Cal too, but I suppose you cant have everything.
    I thought the crime was intriguing and the premise different and unusual. Now they have done a different take on it, I think it would be best if TPTB didnt have anymore storylines where a csi is in a fire or an explosion!

13. Natalie

Natalie Victim

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladyd10
    Adam Rodriguez and Emily Procter are the only reason that I'm watching this.

I have not watch season 8 only the episode with adam and emily. Season 9 I will be glue to my tv.

14. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

Finally caught this episode on DVR; it was okay..strange to see Calleigh pulling a ghost whisperer routine. Honestly thought it strange how everybody went about their jobs if she was fighting for her life in the ER but I guess they have to maintain some professionalism and solve the case or it goes cold. Thought the contractor looked familiar and he's been on CSI Miami before years ago..I think the kid did a good job playing a ghost. Liked Horatio rushing into a burning house to save female officer and he knew her name too.

15. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Good episode.In fact it was one of the best of the season.

At the start I wasn't sure about the episode(because of the ghost thing),but I think that the writers did a really good job with this one.
    It was good to see Eric back on the show(even for a few scenes).
    But what I liked most in the episode was Ryan's increased screentime compared to previous episodes!!
    So mad that the next episode is eight days away.