Episode 8x20 - "Backfire" - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Apr 17, 2010.

1. delkolover

delkolover CSI Level Three

Thank you to both of you! It was driving me nuts :lol:

2. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I just thought of something in this epi, Ryan was driving instead of Calleigh. I remember in another episode Ryan told Calleigh he'd be the one driving next time because he thought she was driving like a crazy person LOL! Looks like the writers remembered that for this epi.

Thanks to those who gave the name of the songs that played, I was wondering about that too

3. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

I find it actually kinda funny how Ryan is always caught in burning buildings too yet he's always just fine. IRON LUNGS.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

And that scene where he told her that was in "Smoke Gets In Your CSIs" too. :lol: I forgot all about that.

5. Gooniegirl3333

Gooniegirl3333 Lab Technician

IMO, I think Calleigh lied to Eric and actually snuck out. I could see her doing that, ;)

6. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

I think she signed herself out because she's still stubborn "I'm fine" Calleigh and it sounded like Eric was taking her back to the hospital. If you're determined enough, you can sign yourself out even though it's against doctors' advice. You can just as easily readmit yourself if things go wrong....and get a solid earful from the doctors, too.

7. Emmie

Emmie Victim

I actually like this episode. There's one thing I have to say though... Please don't copy the actions of Eric and touch someone that is going through defibrillation. I'm still surprised that Eric is not dead. I thought the scene in the car where Calleigh was telling herself to pull it together was great. It reminded me of the old Calleigh. I like seeing Calleigh in casual clothing better, suits doesn't work for her that much. I think the writers did a pretty good job on the interaction of the team this week. I just hope that they could keep it up.

I found myself some DuCaine moments. -Self joy-

8. Blinded By Smoke

Blinded By Smoke Pathologist

That's his new name! It amazes me. LOL! But I'll take him in a fire any day. He looked awful hot walking out--- Amazing! :drool: If there is a burning building, we can rest assured, RYAN WILL BE IN IT! :lol:

But yeah... I have to just toss it out there that... I didn't like 'Toe Tags'. I actually thought it was kind of cheesy and off the wall--- but this one was classy and well written. JMO though, but that could be simply because I like Miami better than Vegas. Nothing against Vegas, they've had their share of amazing cases, but I think Miami's attempt away from forensics (ect) went much better. It just... fit!!! Everything about it WORKED!

9. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

And how do you know ghosts are fantasy? How do you know ghosts are not real? So just because you believes those things that makes it a fact? Does that make all those people who have experiences with paranormal liars? I'm sorry but that is a rather subjective statement, so please don't make it sound like ghost not being real it's a fact.

This isn't Calleigh's first out of body or near-death experience, I don't even get the logic why this episode would be jumping the shark when pretty much same thing was done in previous episodes. And besides, even if it was a ghost, it's not like there was no investigation, it's not like everyone just listened to the ghost and didn't use evidence and science to back it up. Even with paranormal there are science and evidence. It's hardly that farfetched.

And let's talk about science on CSI, anyone with a decent science degree will tell you that CSI science is a boatload of crap. It's nothing like real science, it's pretend science used for entertainment. Half the technologies that are used in CSI are years beyond what today's equipments can even do. CSI may have been about science at one point, maybe in the first season, but now it's basically futuristic technology.

I don't see how Ryan was a jerk in this episode, in fact, he was more Ryan than he was in years. He and Tom didn't even butt heads. They haven't ruined Ryan, if anything, they actually brought back the real Ryan for this episode.

Real science and forensic analysis, yeah, it is darn boring alright. Real crime solving is nothing like what the CSI franchise made so popular and cool, real CSIs will tell you that.

And I'm sorry but if you're gonna pick on every word and every minute detail, then maybe you shouldn't watch the show because not everything has to be taken so literally or seriously. Just because Ryan said they'll "know" doesn't mean he believes who heartedly that they will know for sure, it's most likely used as a figure of speech, normal people do speak that way, not always so literally.

If you were depending a fictional TV show to teach you about science or be so meticulously plot out or be realistic, then you're in for a rude awakening. CSI franchise is there soley for entertainment purposes, this isn't a real life documentary or some educational video about science. It's a fictional TV drama that will no doubt veer into unrealistic worlds.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  10. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I am sorry, but how do you know that ghosts are real? It's like UFO and stuff like that. I am sorry, but I don't agree with your statement at all. It certainly is a subjective area but in no way you can tell me that ghosts are real from a scientific POV because that would be an heresy!!! Tell a real scientist/researcher that ghots are real and he/she will laugh at you for the rest of his/her life.

Again, I am too rational to accept lots of stuff which is going on this show, but I'm quite sure 99% of the scientists all over the world would criticize your statement. Ghosts are not real....ghosts are PARANORMAL entities who cannot be seen by most of the people all over the world. They're part of the whole paranormal activity scientists are not able to explain...yet.

There have been lots of researches through the years about ER traumas that report how people who live a near death experiences tend to see the "white light" or a person they had lost that they loved. That's what researches say. They're scientific and I'm 99% sure they can be proved, though as far as we know....most of them are based on personal experiences. I will never deny it because they're scientific and psycholigcal reserches. But ghosts are spirits, not real entities. You'll never find a scientist who will agree with your statement. I'm sorry, but Rita Levi Montalcini and other nobel scientists like her would laugh out loud reading this statement.

First of all Calleigh had never seen a ghost before this episode. I applaude her initial behaviour 'cause she WAS rational in that hummer when she was freaking out!!!! Then what? She helped the ghost and the whole investigation was based on what Calleigh saw thanks to the ghost? Sorry, but this just ridiculous. Next time let's have Casper investigate on who ran off Horatio, will you?

It would have been ok, if they hadn't based the investigation on this!!! It would have been ok if Calleigh had just said "look I talked to that teen. I met him"...that's all. Anything else was ridiculous!

Sorry, but I will never accept this statement "ghosts are real".....
    - yeah Santa Claus does exist :rolleyes:
    - yeah I'm the president of the United States of America :rolleyes:
    - yeah by 2010 we will al become immortal :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I define myself too rational to accept this crap even on a fictional show called CSI :lol:

11. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

From where I was viewing the episode, it didn't seem like a figure of speech. It seemed like an assumption and then finding evidence to support the theory instead of the other way around. It seems as though that's the way Ryan's been handling himself for the past couple of episodes ('Spring Breakdown', he was pushing for accidental death over murder and the ME basically had to tell him "do you want to hear what I have to say or not"). Some may see it in a less severe/important light or that he was doing a good job and I'm completely off, but I felt as though he could have taken a step back and reflected more closely on the facts before jumping into certainties.

Are the expectations fair for real life? Probably not. Even in this day and age, some cops don't depend on the science/culmination of evidence but gut instinct and a confession. Some still see the science as a stepping point into a stronger case but not necessarily the deal breaker. Even though I'd like for Ryan and any other CSI to listen to the evidence first, it's actually pretty realistic to see him make a determination first and find evidence later. It's my view that if the other CSIs weren't there, Ryan probably wouldn't have investigated further. Many may disagree, but that's my take. *shrugs*

As for the ghost thing...for the record, I believe in the paranormal/spirits/beyond etc. but Calleigh saw the grass before she even left the scene (like Horatio said. And I think we were even shown a view of the grass during/right after the teaser) so even though she was apparently walking around from the beyond investigating, the road lead to the same outcome/determination. Whether or not she would have identified its importance when she woke up is another issue entirely but it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

12. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I don't have a problem with the jumping to certainties as long as the investigating continued.There could be reflection or second thoughts which is why the investigation continued .
    Don't know if it's true or not(I tend to think not,see above) but I find it irritating that the character was introduced as someone with an eye for detail( one of the writers description) and thorough, which is what was said of him his first episode.I tend to think the writers just tweek the character to the episode instead of maintaining his characteristics.They dumb him down,then smarten him back up,he's detailed,then he's not,etc.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

The character assassination with Ryan has been painful to watch (while at the same time Jon is looking mighty fine lately!).

You're right, greatfan. Ryan's character was perceived and introduced as a polar oposite of what they are doing to him lately. The writing for his character has been so irratic one has to wonder if there are any writers who have any idea what this character is about.

The first season of ANY character should be required viewing for every writer so that they can get a perspective for who that character is and how he came to join the team. Basic character traits are established in the introduction phase and the writers on this show should hang their heads in shame that they don't know their characters better then their writing demonstrates. :scream:

14. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Perhaps over the summer hiatus,the writers need to have a intense review.I had said some time ago that the writers should feel ashamed of themselves,but perhaps they don't care.

15. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Aren't the new writers occupied with watching a great amount of episodes before they join the show?:confused:

You are all right about Ryan and the way he has been treated by the writers lately...:(