Episode 8x20 - "Backfire" - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I honestly don't know how is it possible. Am I the only one who didn't like the episode? :wtf:

Not that I didn't like Calleigh freaking out in her hummer because she was seeing and talking to a dead person since that was laugh out loud funny, I must say and I laughed out loud quite a few times throughout the episode thanks to everyone especially H saying "actually it makes perfectly sense" while reading Calleigh's note and Ryan shaking his head saying "Calleigh Calleigh Calleigh" :guffaw:.

But the rest made me roll my eyes the whole time. I'm not saying the E/C 'cause it wasn't as distracting as the whole medical desaster from the episode, though the nurse or the doctor should have kicked his ass out of the door instead of having him there while they were reviving Calleigh. Their last scene would have been even cute...too bad they had to go on with their complete medical desaster. I swear TPTB should seriously fire their medical staff :lol:

I know that a show shouldn't be too realistic, I'm well aware of it, but I also have the "misfortune" (though I consider it a fortune for me) that I work in a medical environment.....ER, trauma and stuff like that and whenever I watch some medical stuff on this show, I have to roll my eyes. Trust me, most of you don't get what I mean, but seeing Calleigh getinng into a coma and being defibrilated only to be out of the hospital by the night.....well that is incredibly moronic especially for a show like this. People keep saying that Miami is the comical version of the whole CSI: franchise. Yes it is, but this doesn't mean that they must convey this message: harm yourself and you'll recover in no time even when you get stabbed with epinephrine or you get intubated.

I'm not talking about Calleigh not being able to talk once she was extubated....this time for the first time. I am not talking about Calleigh coming back to the lab and saying that she had been checked out in the ER :)rolleyes:) because, thank god that was her imagination :lol: 'cause in that case I'd be too pedantic from a medical POV, but from a medical POV also considering the fire blaze on HER face right at the beginning of the episode....this episode was a complete desaster even if it was a "Ghost Whisperer" based episode.

As for the rest I quite enjoyd it, but the medical stuff and horrible music distracted me too much to actually enjoy and like the episode ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. Blinded By Smoke

Blinded By Smoke Pathologist

YAY for CSI: Miami beating out Castle! I have tried watching Castle, via DVR, and it just does nothing for me. Most likely because, it's CSI: Miami's rival. And I too, am one of the ones who doesn't see this show going anywhere anytime soon! It's got quite a few good seasons left in it- especially if they follow last night's pattern!! JMO...

3. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I couldn't agree more with your post!! :thumbsup:

4. electra

electra Pathologist

It was a really good episode.Like so many have said,Emily Procter performance was awesome.She made the episdoe for me.:thumbsup: I am also liking Ryan a lot this season and is nice when he gets a lot to do.His chemistry with Callleigh was there and I could feel how good friends they are.And yeah,of course Cal likes to be the hero.:lol:

Jesse in the backgorund with nothing too deep is tolerable as well.E/C was subtle and nice.Just the way I like it.:thumbsup:

5. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I've always enjoyed Ryan and Calleigh's friendship. Ryan was really concerned for Calleigh even before she entered the burning home, he even gave her something to put over her mouth and nose so she wouldn't breathe in the smoke. Ryan was understandbly upset with Calleigh for endangering her health and being stubborn, but hey that's Calleigh for you

6. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

...Wow, this episode was hyped even more than NY's last week. :lol: With that kind of pressure, I think they did a good job on the whole. The episode had more of a team focus than I'd expected (better, a Ryan focus :D), managed to hold my interest, was just on this side of 'wtf' and still entertained me. I wasn't really feeling much from the ghost-kid, I think I personally would freak out a little more in that position, but Calleigh was great. With him, and with her own reaction to being almost-dead. I have to admit, the way that part of the episode played out was excellently done. It wasn't until Calleigh was talking to herself in the car that I realized it had already played out -- meaning I didn't even notice during her earlier scene with Ryan in the lab, that he didn't know she was there :lol:

The premise, obviously, was a little out there for a science-based crime show, but honestly, if CSI could have "Toe Tags", I did not have a problem with Miami having a similar episode.

Tom and Ryan were very cute in this one -- I have always felt that they at least respected, even liked each other, for all their "fighting", but in this week's scene, it felt like Tom was actually fond of him (and vice versa). Which makes complete sense :p

Natalia and Ryan's scene with that lady who killed the plumber? Win. That is all.

I'm not a fan of EC, but their scenes were refreshingly understated in this episode, especially considering all the hype about them in it. And it's been long enough since we saw any scenes of that kind between them, that it didn't bother me at all. Nicely done. I agree with an earlier poster, though, Eric being by Calleigh's bedside when they were shocking her was :rolleyes: and a little much -- I spent most of that scene wondering how he didn't get jabbed in the eye by one of the nurses' elbows.

On the whole, I liked the Spring Break episode better, but this one was good too.

7. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

The episode was surprisingly better than I originally thought it was going to be, for basically a fantasy eppie. The whole ghost thing didn't overpower the episode and the case itself was engaging.

Random Thoughts:

--Good acting by the entire cast especially Emily and Jon (further proving that his acting talents are underutilized). It takes talent to act alongside another actor and not interact and everyone was spot on:thumbsup:

--Ryan: Gosh he looked good; as fit and trim as he has been all year, and damn he makes soot look hot:devil:!! And wonder of wonders, Ryan is Ryan again:rolleyes:; hardworking, smart compassionate and caring.
    ---I actually cringed when Ryan walked into the morgue but his interaction with Tom was playful and nice instead of bitchy and terse (maybe both having a bad day last week?). I still have some small issues with Ryan still looking like a unexperienced rookie, but he worked well with everyone (he and Jesse have good chemistry) and his concern and how he took care of Calleigh was heartwarming and almost made up for him not coming to the hospital and asking about her AGAIN:rolleyes:

--Natalia is back!!

--The Three Musketeers working together, playing off each other and brainstorming was fun to watch. I had to chuckle when all three left the house, because they were felt the dead kid's presence and were spooked.

--Jesse has grown on me. He seems to have settled in and works well with everyone.

--Was that the first time we saw Frank and Walter together? Good to see the new combination.

--Wasn't too surprised when the neighbor admitted to killing the plumber. It has been shown that a lack of sleep and therefore dreaming can literally drive one crazy (her pacing was kind of a giveaway) She shouldn't have too much trouble getting sleep where she is going:lol:

--I was sorry to see the grandfather did it. It is amazing what someone will do when money is the motivating factor.

--Horatio is still "the king of the lab" (to borrow a phrase from "Bones") He knew how to intreprete Calleigh's "dream" to solve the case.

All in all it could have been worse.

8. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Precisely why I don't watch ER or Gray's Anatomy. Former CMA, hubby former Army medic.

That's all I can say because I didn't watch.

9. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

:eek:WOW, what an reiveting episode, I was consumed throughout the whole ep. Calleigh was amazing, she's sweet and charming but tough as nails. And her seeing the dead kid:( So many twists and turns so it was the ganddad who set the fire to collect the $$$. And are Calleigh and [is his name Eric] a couple?

10. delkolover

delkolover CSI Level Three

Does anyone know the name of the song that was playing while Calleigh was being shocked with the paddles? It has been bothering the hell out of me! lol

I was actually surprised by the ep.....it exceeded the expectations I had for it and Emily did a good job. I love the scene in the Hummer when she is freaking out over seeing Patrick....I thought she did a really good job with that scene.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I thought about Toe Tags as well. I honestly didn't care much for Toe Tags. I liked this episode better believe it or not. :lol:

12. gottaluvcsi

gottaluvcsi Police Officer

Personally I did not care for the episode. Yes, Calleigh's condition once more coming up was great job for them. But her being able to leave the hospital the same day she goes into cardiac arrest...was a terribly written ending. They should have just ended it with her eating jello or some other type of hospital gourmet and laughing with Eric. That most likely would be a bit more accurate and suitable.

Overall I felt this episode was...weird. I feel that lately the writers attempt to only bring in more ratings by putting in the dramatic episodes, which is needed for this show.

This is coming off my TV and Castle is staying on.

13. greatfan

greatfan Captain

It's Kate Bush,"This Woman's Work"
    Almost,but not quite as good as Maxwell's version.

14. perriwinkle88

perriwinkle88 Rookie

The song is "This Woman's Work" by Maxwell or Katie Bush. I loved this song, the lyrics are so apt for the whole scene. It just makes me teary.
    The end song is "Charlie Darwin" by Oh my God.
    -------------------------------------------

I loved this episode. Everybody was involved and not just focused on E/C.
    I loved Ryan- he is my fave after E/C of course. I find it endearing that he was so concerned about Calleigh too. I also liked the morgue scene with him & Tom. I really hope Ryan stays -like Adam -CSIM won't be the same without him as well.

I felt so warm and fuzzy with the E/C scenes especially when he called her "babe". I'm glad that there was no hospital bed side declaration of love-action speaks louder than words and we saw how Eric was there for Calleigh. It is obvious that what they have is more than physical, they are in a deep,serious and committed relationship.

So happy that it won the ratings in their time slot.:thumbsup:

15. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

Eric did tell Calleigh she should be back at the hospital but I think this was something Calleigh needed to do. I liked the ending, it was sweet watching Calleigh gently touch Patrick's face, cover him then say RIP.

I felt really bad for Patrick the immediate assumption that he caused the fire, then he repeatedly said he was innocent but no one could hear him because he was dead then his pain finding out his grandfather caused the fire intentionally.