Season 5 Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by PraetorCorvinus, Apr 6, 2010.

1. lil_janie

lil_janie Hit and Run

Well, that season is my favorite. I'm not huge fan of GD, but I like it well enough to close eyes before all the holes. I mostly wondered where the hell is explosive from the dog's box because if they found traces - there should be, but than Greg, Warrick and Cath would have been blown up and badly hurt or even killed. So that would kind of kill the show and they left it... Somewhere :rolleyes: I never thought about that police officer, and I even thought 'how come Brass is there so quickly' - not that he's late. I mean, Vegas is a big city, and who knows where Brass was at the moment. Oh well. Never thought about the additional weight, though. So much for my brain.
    Anyway, I like the overall flow of the story lines, the development of the whole season. And how everything affected them. Split up was horrible thing, but I liked the last scene of one of the epps - can't remember which one was to save my life - when Cath is looking around the lab and everyone was there. Both shifts together, probably in between the shifts. It was nice and sad at the same time. I don't know why it got me, and it gets me every time I see it. I'm crazy like that :)

There are no 'worst of the season' epps for me in that one. I can find something in every single one of them. I do have favorite, though. It's Who Shot Sherlock - what can I say, I'm week ;) I liked the idea of such elaborate role play (well, it was more than that for them obviously), and I like how Greg did everything he did. And, becouse jelly is so expensive - Nick and Warrick did put it to good use. For CSIs that see so much gore, and have been through so much too - they tend to play with all 'psicho' thing a bit too much (and now comes poor Henry to mind and Nick's, Greg's and Hodges's idea of funny birthday surprise... couldn't they just jump from somewhere and screemed 'surprise' instead? :lol:)

And... Well, that's that. Not much more to say, I find this season great to rewatch at any time.

2. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

All I know for certain is that the episode wasn't supposed to be a two-parter. The way I remember it, Tarentino had written so much that they extended it. When this was done in regards to actually shooting the episode I'm not sure.

And I just want to thank everyone for ruining GD for me. Now every time I watch it I'm going to be looking for mistakes, plot holes, and whatever Grissom's magic flashlight is (that sounds kinda dirty). :lol:

3. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

Mid shoot, I believe - based on the interview with Tarentino on the s5 DVDs. I think it was as the dailies started to come in and they realised that they were going to run way too long - and not so much because there was too much material but because Tarentino's pacing was way down on what CSI normally achieves (I can't remember the figures, but he quotes how many minutes per script page he was getting over what CSI would normally achieve and the difference between the two was something like 2 or 3 mintues - which might not sound like a lot, but averaged over a 60 page script is quite a significant difference)

:devil: Our work here is done :devil:

(and I'm STILL giggling like a twelve year old about Grissom's magic flashlight)

4. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Thanks a lot Athersgeo! Wow, that's a lot of holes. I overlooked them because of the excitement I felt watching the episode. But I noticed some dull moments just to extend the episode. The rest were great.

One implausible thing I caught was Nick's removal from the grave. It would take to much force to pull him out of the coffin that fast. Remember, he's lying down few feet below the ground level! Let's say they exerted that much force, Nick should have had broken or injured back because all the force was concentrated within his waist. That's a real ouch! But Grave Danger will always be one of my favorite episodes. I just enjoy it so much. The acting was great.

I'm so excited for season 9 discussions because of For Warrick, 19 Down and One To Go which are also my favorites. Maybe there were also flaws I didn't catch too. And Mascara which was boring may turn out to be flawless (I got a feeling)! :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  5. PraetorCorvinus

That's something I never thought of. Perhaps the episodes that are meticulously crafted so every detail fits turn out so sterilized they're almost unwatchable. Take THAT, Athersgeo!:evil:

And I may start the discussion for Season 6 earlier than normal. Usually I wait two weeks or until conversation dies off in the previous discussion before starting a new one. I kinda want to do that one though. Like, A LOT! I also want to get to Season 10 not long after it ends...

6. lil_janie

lil_janie Hit and Run

Corvinus, I'm sorry we ruined it for you. I like those epps, though they are not my favs, and though, like I said, I'm not a huge fan myself. But that was a good end of that season. If you think about it, about the entire 'road to the end', it had to be bad, and it had to be... Big. I hope you all know what I mean, I can't say it better even in my own language. But all led to it, it just had to be something horrible. And what is worse than being burried alive - and to top it of - you are able to see all the dirt above you.
    Every time I see that ep I think 'I would have died from a heart attack, from fear alone'. I admire George's character for staying strong. Me, personally, I wouldn't need gun. I wouldn't last half an hour in there. They used one of every human's worst fear.

7. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

*snerk* I can't comment on Mascara as I've not seen it (though I have heard it's a little on the humdrum side), but I don't think what you're saying actually follows because, at least 90% of the time, CSI episodes *don't* have flaws you can drive a mack truck through - so in some senses, the few that do are all the more glaring.

I mean, would you call Viva Las Vegas sterile? Or 4x4? ;)

And, as I think I've said earlier, what grates the most about Grave Danger is that a good chunk of the things I've nitpicked could have been so easily fixed with just a line of dialogue, *OR* a more effective follow up in season 6. (If you think I'm hard on Grave Danger, wait until you see me on Daddy's Little Girl!)

Geeno - you have a very good point about Nick's actual rescue from the grave. The physics are definitely a little off there. *grins*

8. PraetorCorvinus

You're not going to let me win are you? :(:( *runs off and cries into a pillow*

Alright, fine. I'll concede defeat as far as this goes. I'm now switching gears over to a piece of dialogue that has long since bothered me. In "Big Middle", when Catherine arrives at the crime scene in the wilderness where Nick is at, she asks him something like "What, you don't like me as your boss?" To which Nick responds only with a grunt or something. How have y'all interpreted that scene?

9. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

And now I feel at least a little mean...

Interesting question. I have to admit to not being a big fan of the episode as a whole (though I do like the line about even the beavers striking it rich!), but I tend to interpret that scene as being somewhat similar to the scene in Crows Feet where Nick recognises that it doesn't matter WHAT he says, Catherine's going to misinterpret it.

10. PraetorCorvinus

When I watch that scene, I think Nick was pretty clear. She asked him, almost jokingly, if he liked her as his boss. Nick doesn't say yes, no or even a maybe. Instead he makes a noncommittal sound that. To me, that means 'no'. Which I have to ask, why?

11. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

Ehh, I'm not so sure she was actually joking. And it's a bit of a leap to get to her question from his remark about it being a lot simpler when they were all on the same shift.

Conceivably, though, Nick doesn't like having Catherine for a boss (at least at this point). She is a very hands-on supervisor and one of the things Nick likes is being left to work alone - which are two things that aren't going to mesh terribly well.

It's also not inconceivable that Nick finds it a little disconcerting to be the shift's third wheel.

12. PraetorCorvinus

Fair enough. I like your reasoning here.;)

As for the episode itself, I enjoy it. I like how both Grissom and Greg were very respectful towards the ladies. I can't recall if Vartann said anything rude, though Metcalf did. He's the one who made the comment about the stampede. Dick.

13. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

He agrees! I can go to bed happy in the knowledge that we've managed to agree about SOMETHING today :D

Vartann does say something about it being a "hogs and heifers" convention, which sounds pretty bad - but given this is Vegas, it's not outside the bounds of possibility that that's actually what it was called. And yeah, Metcalf's line makes me cringe.

What puts me off the episode, though, is the rather mind-numbing explanation of sports betting. I think I've watched it four or five times now and I'm STILL not sure I actually follow Warrick's explanation!

14. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

You know, I really don't think it's fair that you all can carry on conversation in here all day long and I can't. :shifty: Especially when I can READ the posts on my cell phone but not respond! :lol:

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: Well, for you and Athersgeo both, it's when he's talking to Nick in the coffin at the end and has the flashlight in one hand and his other hand is on the coffin, but then magically the flashlight jumps to the hand that's supposed to be on the coffin. Happens a few times in that scene.

Let me add to Athersgeo's questions about the plausibility of the episode. Besides Officer Michaels not noticing all that involved Nick's abduction, Gordon also had time enough to remove Nick's vest and carefully set it up on the ground with his camera. And...when they first dug Nick up, for what reason could they not just open the lid to spray the fire extinguisher? Why did they only open it a crack? And why didn't they have it ready?? They knew they were going to use it, yet it was back in an SUV?

But...but....we're having such a great discussion HERE! :(

Oh yeah...that "conclusion" to this storyline was just awful. But they said in the Season 6 DVD commentaries (can't remember right now which person it was...maybe CM) that they didn't want to keep bringing up Grave Danger. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere too that George didn't want to have it follow Nick around for very long either.

But the whole thing with finding the tape and hearing the other voice...that set up something ominous that never panned out like it could have. Typical.

Oh no!! Look! You've tricked me into discussing Season 6 here! :lol:

Anyway, I'll say it again, I love Season 5 AND Grave Danger along with Snakes, Viva Las Vegas. What's Eating Gilbert Grissom...hated and only watched once were Committed and Hollywood Brass.

15. PraetorCorvinus

I wish you could have joined. It would have been fun for the whole family!

Thanks! It really is a magic flashlight (and not a fleshlight).

Don't worry, Smokey. I'll wait until this one has had a good run. The wait just won't be as long as usual, seeing how we're already inching that way. And it happens to be my favorite...

Athersgeo, yes you can sleep soundly now. Though the thought of you losing sleep over our epic battle makes me feel tingly. But I'll let you rest for now and I'll find a new nemesis. Where's Speedy?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010