Baseball 2011 Season

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Destiny, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Re: Baseball 2010 Season

we know right now part of our rotation,
    Jake Westbrook (start the season after not pitching for like 23 mos. he looks good)
    Fausto Carmona (holy crap he looks good)
    Justin Masterson
    Mitch Talbot

They haven't announced the fifth, thats between Carlos Carrasco, and David Huff (though last season Huff was an 11 game winner, this ST he is a bit off), Aaron Laffey was in the race but they put him into the Bullpen. They needed another reliable arm in there (he is a bit off too), but Kerry Wood (closer) has a strain/sprain/pulled armpit so he is out for up to 8 wks but he says not that long. So Chris Perez (not Raffie) but the one we call head hunter cause his first game he hit one of the white sox in the head, then the next in the hand, after that he was good, he will be the closer until kerry returns. The rest of the bullpen is intact except for one or two spots.

Lets see our lineups not to bad, they are still trying to figure out if Russel B. Is going to be in it, considering he hasn't played a game all st. That may put Matt Laporta (pretty much 100% after hip and toe surgery), at first, and Michael Brantley in left field (unless that goes to Trevor Crowe I hope not). Hafner (Shoulders), & Sizemore (ab and arm) are 100% healed Jhonny Peralta has accepted he is at 3rd (much to his dislike) and is doing better, last season he was moved over in the middle it roughed up his timing.
    Lou Marson is looking good as the opening catcher, though that is still a competition with Wyatt Toregas but Wyatt in the minors has a temper with umps and can have one good game and six bad ones, injures easily. The back up catcher is in place that will be Mike Redmon (from the red sox).
    I don't know about utility infield or outfield, might be Mike Grudzalonik (so mispelled lol) We call him mikey or Grudz. Also Andy Marte is up for debate, though looks like Luis Valbeauna will be the second basemen, why not sure, mike G is better there. They did say it was Luis's to lose so who knows.

Thats all I got for now, hopefully since there is no classics and crude like that the teams won't be over extended and tired this season.

2. Destiny

Okay anyone see this poor and yet ouchie story about twins Span?

Twins’ Span hits mom with foul ball, but she’s OK

Now the Indians have their 25 man roster completed. (some of them depend on staying healthy, actually it should be all of them lol)

Starters (5): Jake Westbrook, Fausto Carmona, Justin Masterson, David Huff, Mitch Talbot

Relievers (7): Chris Perez, Rafael Perez, Tony Sipp, Aaron Laffey, Joe Smith, Lewis, Wright.

Catchers (2): Lou Marson, Mike Redmond.

Infielders (6): Matt LaPorta, Luis Valbuena, Asdrubal Cabrera, Jhonny Peralta, Andy Marte, Mark Grudzielanek

Outfielders (4): Grady Sizemore, Shin-Soo Choo, Michael Brantley, Austin Kearns

Designated Hitter (1): Travis Hafner.

1B Russell Branyan, closer Kerry Wood, Rule 5 reliever Hector Ambriz and (right-hander Anthony Reyes 60-day TJ Surgery) will all open the season on the disabled list.

LETS GO TRIBE & BLUE JAYS... AND OTHER TEAMS... with exception of a couple, sorry. !!!!!!!!!

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Yeah. I turned on the game just as they were announcing he left the game. They showed the replay on the local news in the Twin Cities. That is just a crazy story. What are the odds? I bet she gets a new car or diamond ring out of the deal. :lol:

4. Destiny

:lol: From what I understand she got a good meal out of it.

She was so worried about him not getting in his AB instead of about herself. Not to mention she assures everyone she is okay and not to worry about her, and I am sure people who heard about that boy hit by that ball is probably thinking we can't help it.

5. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I got hit with a foul ball once and I can tell you they hurt. The good news is I've got the ball. It was hit off the bat of John Olerud when he was still with the Jays. It was in the early 90's.

The Jays have set their pitching rotation for the start to the season.

Shaun Marcum, Brian Tallet, Ricky Romero, Brandon Morrow, and Dana Eveland.

Marcum, Tallet, and Romero pitched for the Jays last year. Morrow was obtained in a trade and I've never heard of Eveland :eek:. Apparently Eveland was obtained from the Oakland A's back in February.

Tallet, Romero and Eveland are all left handed. At one point we couldn't get a leftie starter and now we have 3 of them.

The Jays will have 7 pitchers in the bullpen and the are Jason Frasor, Kevin Gregg, Scott Downs, Shawn Camp, Merkin Valdez, Casey Janssen and Jeremy Accardo.

Catching for the Jays will be Jose Molina. I don't know who the backup catcher will be.

6. Destiny

Ouch, where were you hit? Heck when STO plays a replay from behind the up, of it coming back Rick and Matt at just that moment will yell "LOOK OUT!" and laugh, and honestly I flinched a couple times, cause it looks like its about to pop out of your tv.

Between people being injured by foul balls and broken bats no wonder they post those signs around the park.

Twins aren't my fav team lmao but I have to agree and would sign a petition if there was one for doing this, Twins’ Span calls for more netting to protect fans

Small excerpt from the story..

Wilson received some medical attention on the scene and returned to her seat later in the inning with nothing more than a sore chest.
    “I guess if it got up on the (collar)bone or the shoulder blade or something, the trainer said it could have shattered it,” Twins pitching coach Rick Anderson said.

Others haven’t been so fortunate.

In 1970, a foul ball off the bat of the Dodgers’ Manny Mota killed a 14-year-old boy in Los Angeles. That was the only death from a foul ball in the majors, according to research by Gorman and Weeks.

Susan Rhodes’ jaw was broken after a shattered bat from Rockies first baseman Todd Helton struck her in the face at a Dodgers game in 2008.

During a nationally televised game at Fenway Park in 1982, a 4-year-old boy sitting next to the Boston dugout was hit in the face by a line drive. Red Sox star Jim Rice sprung from the dugout, went into the stands and carried the bloody child to an ambulance. The future Hall of Famer’s action likely saved the young fan’s life.

And in another story there was 4-year-old Luke Holko He was hit in the head with a line drive "On that fateful late-summer day, the Holkos had front-row seats for a doubleheader at nearby Mahoning Valley, of the Class A New York-Penn League. Luke was sitting on Chad's lap when a foul ball off the bat of Scrappers' first baseman Ben Carlson struck him in the back of the head. He immediately fell limp." - I will say this, this child has alot more courage then I his wish according to the story.. "When the rehab is over, when he regains the strength and capacity to walk without any assistance and to speak each and every word in his vocabulary, and when he finally gets back to being a kid again, 4-year-old Luke Holko has a wish.
    He wants to go back to a baseball game." - hmm even the Tribe Stopped in during their press tour to visit with him, sent him balls, bats, gloves all kinds of things, this doesn't include what other teams around the Major leagues did and the minors to. That was very sweet.

7. Jacquie

I got hit in the front right hip area. I had a good size baseball bruise there for a bit :D but the things we will suffer though for a baseball hit by one of your favourites. I always like Olerud's approach to the game. He was a good player and I hope he gets into the Hall Of Fame when he's eligible to enter.

The Jays have left Florida for the spring. They are heading to Houston to play the Astros this weekend and then play the Rangers for the season opener on the 5th. The Jays open at home on the 12th.

8. Destiny

Geez ouch. I know what you mean, thats why I preferre tv, I get a baseball and when they foul it to the crowd I toss it to dad, they do it again he tosses it to me. :lol: much less painful.

Tribe has two more games with the Reds today and tomorrow. then a day off and regular season begins.

9. Destiny

Okay we finished ST with a tie 10-10 against the Reds, so in st this year we are 5-0-1 against the Reds (Five wins, zero losses, and one tie).

We start reg season on April 5th, against the white sox, Westbrook vs Buehrle

We open at home on April 12th, against the Texas Rangers.

10. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

well, there's a lot of buzz in the Twins Territory with the opening this weekend of Target Field for Major League Baseball. Yes, the MN Gophers played a college game earlier to officially christen the stadium, but the two games vs St Louis friday & saturday were the first for a MLB game. Nice bronze statues outside the park with Carew, Killebrew, Puckett & I believe there's a statue of a big glove as well.

In all the years of the Metrodome, I only was able to attend two games. I'm hoping I get a chance to at least get to one at the new park. The lack of roof kind of sucks, since driving 5 hours for a possible rain-out would be disheartening - considering the MN weather.

11. Jacquie

but to me that is real baseball. Having the lid on the Rogers Centre for the Jays games is nice when the weather's bad but there are times when the weather is nice outside, particularly in the spring when they won't open the lid. To me nothing beats baseball played outdoors.

The Jays open the season Monday in Texas. Marcum vs ?. The Jays home opener is on the 12th against the White Sox.

The dreaded Yankees and the Red Sox open the season tonight.

Go Jays

12. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

yeah, I understand that - and it's GREAT to have baseball outdoors again where it belongs. My issue is also with the usually cold early April and late september MN temps. This year things actually warmed up pretty early, so they had great days for games this weekend. I just don't understand building a new stadium here in MN without any possibility of an upgrade for a retractable roof anytime in the future. Usually Minnesotans are sensible & practical. Not the case here. ;)

13. Destiny

I heard the new field got rave reviews. I agree with both of you, the open field outside is great, unless its raining, snowing, or colder then ice. Then the retractable domes are much better.

This is why I say when they do the WS games, find a freaking place with a dome and then use it if its too cold, too wet, etc. It would limit the worry of a game being called, or delayed for a long time.

Course I am all for WS games being played with neither side having home field advantage. Say the your team goes to the WS and your the Jays, twins or lmao Indians, vs SF, Pitts, D-backs, etc. find a field in the middle (preferred with dome) and let them play. They may be familiar with the field but they play it fair and uncomfortable. :D Not to mention if they keep it there, the teams don't have to travel back and forth to the point of being tired. They can be fresh and ready to go. That would be a competition. Okay now thats jumping ahead. :p

14. Bonasera-Taylor

Bonasera-Taylor Prime Suspect

YANKEES all the way

15. Bonasera-Taylor

Bonasera-Taylor Prime Suspect

7-7 in the yankees red sox game current. bottom of the 7th