Episode 8x18 - "Dishonor" **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Mar 19, 2010.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Ah... I probably missed that one. I only watched sporadically back then (I think something else was on at the same time back then lol).

I thought there was a subtle hint though. When the girl was hugging her mom goodbye and crying as they took her mom away, there was this look on Kyle's face. You could almost tell he was thinking "I kind of know what that feels like". It was very very subtle, but it was nice to see that.

2. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Not at all.I enjoyed Horatio's and Kyle's father/son moments.The episode kept me interested through out.
    Ditto,but understood it was a Horatio/Kyle episode.For the most part,the rest of the characters were balanced pretty well,and none of the others were seen excessively.Ryan did look good!
    For some reason,even though I found the episode interesting,I knew the mother murdered her husband.
    Agree with there being sterotyping to an extent.I also have seen stories like this in the news/internet etc.
    Horatio and Kyles' scenes were great and looking forward to seeing them together again.

3. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I really love this episode and I LOVE the connection between Horatio and Kyle, their chemistry is so real and genuine. Evan and David really nailed the last scene! You can tell how insistent and pleading Horatio's voice was in that scene when he kept on telling Kyle to stay alive, come home, and how he loved him, you hear the desperation and fear in his voice and see it in his eyes. He clearly doesn't want Kyle to leave, but he knows that Kyle has to make his own choices in life. And if he himself chose a dangerous job as a cop because he believed in fighting injustice, how can he tell Kyle not to fight for what he believes in. David did an amazing job showing a glimpse of fear in Horatio's eyes, you can tell he was holding back so much emotion when he was talking to Kyle. And in Kyle's voice as he answered back, you can feel that Kyle is trying to reassure both Horatio and himself that all will turn out okay.

That last scene was just pure brilliance and David and Evan were completely in synch with each other! It was PERFECTION!

The rest of the episode was pretty decent, and as much as that storyline is very stereotypical, it does happen, so I can't say that it wasn't unrealistic. Although as soon as the flashback showed the mother and daughter talking about Brian, I knew the mother had to be involved, I was kinda surprised that no one thought about talking to the mother earlier as she said that she knew nothing about Brian.

The other characters took a backseat in this episode, but since this was Horatio and Kyle's episode, it was understandable. This episode had a nice balance and the cast did well!

But of course, the best scene is still between Kyle and Horatio!

I agree with the people who said this was one of David's best performances. It is definitely up there on the list. His voice when he was talking to Kyle at the end almost sounded like the same voice that was calling Speed's name over and over again as Horatio watched Speed bleed out in front of him. I still think Speed's death scene was David's best performance, but this scene with Kyle is pretty high on the list too!

And it's nice to see Kyle all grown up, he's still got the temper of a kid, but he's definitely no baby anymore. Calm in a crisis, just like his dad!

4. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

This was a nice, well-acted, Horatio and Kyle episode from beginning to end. I thought the case was only average, but the scenes between father and son made it a good ep. But one thing I noticed was the overuse of strong orange and green in this episode. I felt they really over-did the color thing in this one, and it was majorly distracting! It reminded me of one of the reasons why I'm now really only a casual viewer of this show.

5. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Sorry, I would've said something by now, but we forgot to tape it, and I watched it at cbs.com. Hubby and I were really interested in this because if Kyle and his buddy were involved, hubby being a retired JAG wanted to know what would happen. But since the buddy didn't commit murder, it's a moot issue.

This was my most favorite one of the season so far. I was impressed that CBS was pretty accurate with Kyle's uniform, except he didn't wear his hat outdoors (except he was running to find out where his friend was, so I think that could be excused). It was great to see someone else carry a storyline for a change, and Evan Ellingson did a great job.
    Now there's something we haven't seen much--Horatio wearing a labcoat and actually working in the lab!! WOWEE!! Kudos to Natalia for keeping those white slacks and stilettos clean while checking that burn scene! :wtf: What, coveralls aren't sexy enough?? :rolleyes:

I too was surprised they didn't mention Julia at all. Kyle must be hardcore. One would think he'd like to change into civvies at some point. I know after all that time in the field, I just wanted to peel off those boots and put on some comfortable shoes! For the most part, there was good writing and good acting as far as Kyle being a war veteran. Not knowing how long he'd been in the "sandbox", I wonder why he didn't make any rank yet. A combat soldier can usually make some rank within 6 months to a year, depending on their specialty and where they go. I think I speak for a lot of vets when I say I appreciate CBS being respectful of vets. It hasn't always been like this. (speaking of which, not sure how I feel about how they portrayed the Vietnam vet neighbor. Can't help but wonder whether tptb are still stuck in the 60's)

I do wonder where Kyle would've learned Farsi, because I think that's what's spoken in Iran, not Afghanistan, which is where Kyle was, supposedly. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Concerning the girl's mom: Please, oh please, I'm begging you--put me on that jury. Legally speaking, it wasn't just self-defense, but "defense of another", specifically her daughter.

I felt a lump in my throat at the end when H held his son tight. Been there, done that, H, only it was my husband. (Reaches out and hugs H)

BTW, there are documented cases of "honor killings" in England and the U.S. (though not as many).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  6. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I rarely watch CSI/Miami and now I wonder why? I didn't know Horatio had a son:confused: Good ep. all the way through. So, the Iranian mom killed the husband for his violent behavior and forcing the daughter to marry someone she didn't want to. well done:bolian:

7. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

I actually quite enjoyed this episode. Great moments and father/son chemistry between Horatio and Kyle. I really liked their bantering in the opening scene, and, of course, the "goodbye" scene at the end was very touching. Stellar acting job by David Caruso. The parent-child theme really resonated with me at the end, i.e., the scene where Maya, the daughter, watches Salumeh, her mother, get hauled-off to jail; and then the segue into the scene where Horatio bids farewell to Kyle as he heads off to war. The episode also held my interest from beginning to end, even though I suspected early on that a family member was likely involved in the murder.

Overall, "Dishonor" gets a :thumbsup: from me.

8. Zipster

Zipster Witness

Wow.. most people have said what I wanted to say. I loved this episode. David and Evan were fantastic. Kudos for allowing Kyles character to do the right thing, even though it didn't feel right - he instictively knew (and probably made a proud father, even more so). David's acting in this epsiode was just awesome. A+

9. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

Exactly the way I feel Zipster.

DC & Evan, DID JUST GREAT!!! Glad tptb decided to show the ep despite the show's drop in viewers, it was something all of us long timers wanted & everyone on the show did a good job delievering it.

10. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I loved this episode. Has anyone else noticed how Horatio loosened up and wasn't being Robo H and doing...the dramatic...pauses around Kyle? Horatio and Kyle need more screen time together. That scene at the end and the song playing during it made me cry. I'm beginning like Tom--the M.E. Ryan and Tripp coud've used more screen time but I still liked this episode. So, I guess they got enough. I love when Natalia and Jesse get to work together. I have since her and him were checking out that lifeguard tower in "Bolt Action" earlier this season. OOH. I just gave myself an ideal. I'm going to shipper central when I post this post and see if there's a Jesse/Natalia ship thread. If there isn't, I'm starting one.
    To sum up how I feel about this episode: Except for Frank and Ryan not getting enough screen time, I loved it. It's now my 2nd favorite season 8 episode...right after Bolt Action.
    My rating for this episode: :thumbsup::thumbsup: 2 Thumbs up.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  11. Flackhoney

Flackhoney Hit and Run

I love love loved this episode. I really enjoyed seeing Kyle again. And...wow I was on the verge of tears at the end. Horatio seemed shocked that Kyle didn't talk to him before making his decision about going to Afghanistan but didn't try to argue him out of it(if kyle would've been able to back out or not). gave it an A+

12. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

this is the best episode of season 8 and I love the depth of emotion that happens so naturally w/Caruso & Ellingson in their scenes-hope Kyle comes home safe and soon

13. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

I watched this episode again and actually liked it more than the first time. When I first watch an episode I am always anxious to see if Ryan is going to be in it and can't relax until he appears. I was initially upset again when his screentime was limited. However, on rewatching it, I must say this episode was excellently acted by David, Evan, and the guest stars. And as an added benefit, there were some very nice closeups of Jonathan's beautiful face! Very happy with this episode!

14. bodrul

bodrul Victim

watched this episode and wasnt so bad

on the honor killing stuff its not just a muslim thing, its also Sikh and hindu thing aswell,
    as sick as it is, its more cultral crap then religous.