"The Panty Sniffer" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Mar 26, 2010.

1. K-Bug

K-Bug Lab Technician

That's definitely what I am thinking too. Vartann probably froze up for a second once he saw Cath and Bell wrestling around on the ground, and didn't know whether to try to get him off of her or to take him out with a gun. I rewatched the scene, and it almost looks like he has to snap himself out of it before thinking to raise his gun. There's also the possibility that maybe Vartann had images of Bell getting ready to try to rape Catherine or something.

I think that the writers were trying to make it that it was such a huge hotel room that maybe Tony didn't hear everything through the walls. However, as a detective, I'm pretty sure that he has extraordinary hearing where he can certainly pick up on little sounds, especially someone talking into a cell phone. LOL I think that they were trying to build the tension, though, and have Catherine save the day...

The one thing that I am really nitpicky about though is that Tony/Lou was rifling through the suitcase without wearing gloves. That bothered me more then the fact that he didn't hear Bell talking. :lol:

A lot of people on a few boards are talking about how Catherine should have just put the gun to him instead of just trying to disarm him herself. My guess is that they have always built Catherine up as a tough chick (especially in the books, haha) and that they wanted to continue that. She's been through a lot as a CSI (being attacked in A Little Murder, fighting off Rabies Lady in TGDT, the abusive husband thing, plus her whole back story) that it's not in her character to just stick a gun to someone's head. She probably kinda panicked and made a split second decision to try to disarm the guy. Was it the best choice? No. Was it something that could have ended very badly for her? Of course? But will she regret it, trying to save her man and be the hero? Probably not. I just hope that they touch on Catherine's emotions about having a gun pointed in her face, but who am I kidding?

Now that I've overanalyzed everything, later! :lol:

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Who? What? When did that happen? I thought Bell was the one cop that framed Warrick? When did he attempt to rape Catherine? And Vartann was there?

As for his name, I have wondered if maybe his name is actually Anthony Lou Vartann or Anthony Louis Vartann and he just goes by his middle name, but the book writer wasn't sure if they'd go with the shortened of his first name or with his middle name. But, I don't like his name being Lou because wasn't that Gedda's first name? And Gedda played somewhat of a role in Warrick's death.

Note to writers: Change Vartann's first name back to Tony please!

3. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Yeah, the problem with that is that the suspect heard Vartann's police radio, and yet, Vartann was clueless to his presence. I didn't like the way Vartann was portrayed in this scenario because, as ladyhunter pointed out, he seemed to be 'dumbed down' in the whole episode. As a veteran police officer and seeing him through the years, I find it hard to swallow. He let is guard down, as did Catherine, for the sake of drama. Two verteran law enforcement officers who couldn't out-maneuver a somewhat drugged hazed rookie suspect. But, then again, the writers don't seem to mind dumbing down all the CSI's lately.

My vote on Vartann's name goes to 'Tony', as well. :)

4. beaujolais

beaujolais Lab Technician

Bell was the cop that Brass shot and killed. Funny that the writers also use the name for a guy Vartann shoots and probably killed.

As for what happened when the perp came back, I have to agree about dumbing down the detective but CSI has always done that. Still, I can't help but think that Brass is going to chew Vartann up one side and down the other for letting Catherine get attacked in the first place. At least the old Brass would have. Not sure now seeing as how they've sucked the life out of the current Brass.

5. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

GNRfan, I'm going with that his name is Anthony Louis or something. OR, his son has the same name, and Vartann goes by Lou. I still can't call him that though.

The whole 'drug stakeout' thing was stupid to me. I hated the idea of a homicide detective to sit on two young idiots making E in a hotel room. Same with Catherine being there as the CSI supervisor. So, I wasn't surprised that they did dumb him down to fit the scenario.

K-Bug, I watched the ending scene again as well. Vartann took the shot when Bell had moved his gun away from Catherine's head. If he had taken a shot before hand (according to my hubby at least) Catherine would have been dead or at least severely wounded. I think he did freeze a bit, and if you look at Bells face when he first opens the room and points his gun, he squints a few times, Like he's in a daze not really focusing on what he was doing. Cath probably saw that and thought she could take him down in his drug state. Right idea? NO! Drama filled? YES!

I would like to hear, see about how she felt, what she told Vartann if anything and how they move on.

6. lil_janie

lil_janie Hit and Run

While I was watching suspect going back to the room I was wondering how Vartann and Catherine couldn't hear him talking on the phone. He was quite loud and I kept thinking 'what are they, deaf?' The writers do like to make detectives and CSIs hard on the ears, and dumb. If thay were so bad, they would never solve their cases.
    What bothered me the most (the only thing that really bothered me in this ep, though there were a few strange moments... or maybe more than a few) is that Vartann didn't hear the suspect (Cath did, but not right away). Even I would have heard him, and I'm known for spacing out.

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I've never been so happy to unstick a thread in my life! :lol:

Feel free to continue discussing the...uh...Panty Sniffer...but the thread is now unstuck. :p

8. GregNickRyanFan

Oh that kid's name was Bell? :lol: I missed his name. I was so confuzzled. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: I don't blame you, Smokey. I think we can all agree that this is the worst title in the history of CSI titles ever. The next worst was "getting off". :lol:

9. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

His full name is Bellermine Quisk, which I think is a hilarious name. But yeah they say that he goes by "Bell". So it's not actually his name....the officer Brass killed his last name was Bell.

10. GregNickRyanFan

Gees, no wonder the kid was all screwed up with a name like that. :lol:

Well then what was the name of the dirty cop who helped the undersheriff set Warrick up? :lol:

11. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

That was Daniel Pritchard.

12. GregNickRyanFan

Oh, that's right. Thanks. :)

13. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

A pretty good episode. I still can't figure out how the writers came up with this plot - panty sniffing unless this fetish is real. I didn't suspect Mr. Thomas to be the killer. He seemed to be so nice to Langston when they first met. But the evidence was not that solid. Mr. Thomas could have just shut up and lawyered up. He could have gotten away with it if he didn't confess.

The second plot was also good. If not for some good "Lourine" moments it would have been boring. The last scene was intense. Though I know Cath would survive but still it's great. Nice shot Lou.

9/10

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  14. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

There's definitely a fetish like that ;) Seriously.

15. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

^So that's really real. Welcome to Vegas! :)