Caprica

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by BabaOReilly, Mar 13, 2010.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Did a search and wasn't able to find a thread on this show...

So, is anyone else watching it, besides me? :lol:

I'm actually really, really enjoying it. You can tell it's from the people who made BSG because the writing is just amazing. I don't know if it's the way they combine sci-fi with drama, but I really find it hard to predict what's going to happen next (not unlike BSG) and that makes it a really rare find on TV.

All the actors are doing an excellent job, but I'm really enjoying Eric Stoltz in particular. He is fantastic in his role.

2. hotspot

hotspot Hit and Run

Actually I just started watching this show yesterday, the reason is becuase I heard the main characters brother is gay.
    The show is okay right now for me.

3. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

It's the prequel to Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica, set mostly on the planet Caprica. Its intent is to portray the origin of the Twelve Colonies' cylons. It's wonderful, with some great actors like Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales and Polly Walker. A lot of it will take place in the virtual reality world, as one of the lead characters, Joe Adama (father of BSG's Admiral Adama) searches for the avatar of his dead daughter. Apparently, the avatars produced by a teenager will be the main factor in the production of the cylons. It's got some action and a lot of dramatic build up, plus Ron Moore's signature provoking of thought on real world issues through a sci fi setting. Being a BSG fan, I was skeptical, but find myself loving this series!

I think most discussion is occurring in Syfy's Caprica forum, and on Facebook and Twitter.

And, yes, Joe Adama's brother Sam is gay, a hitman, and has the most stable marriage in the whole show. And we're finding that he was probably very instrumental in the formation of many of young Bill Adama's values.

4. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I'm watching!! :)

Though I have to say that I'm still not as invested as I was on BSG which is my favorite show of all times, but I'm finding it interesting. To be honest, though, the parts I find more intriguing are those which have some kind of reference to BSG. I'm giving it a chance especially since I'm enjoying knowing how the cylons came about. Some parts I find too out there and in your face (like the opening scene with the human sacrifices in the pilot) so that's why I'm not 100% on board. But I'm really interested to see how it all gets to Battlestar time.

5. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Great half-season finale. Lots of action, lots of drama, so something for everyone's tastes. I just love the cast of this show. It's got Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales, Polly Walker, Paula Malcolmson as the main stars. And you've gotta love that gorgeous hunk Sasha Roiz as the mob enforcer who may be the only character who truly lives by a moral code. Can't wait for the second half of the season, if only Syfy will tell us when it starts!

6. BabaOReilly

Yeah, that was an awesome finale! When Graystone answers the phone at the end, I was like, "But who are they calling about? His wife? The Cylon?!!!" Totally cool ending. I love that I never really know what's going to happen next on this show.

So this is just a "hiatus"? Like it could be back on in a couple months?

7. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Caprica will definitely be back to finish the season, it's just a question of when. I would guess October because Syfy seems to be rotating three shows through that Friday night time slot, plus a six-seven month hiatus seems to be a favorite number for past shows. Syfy hasn't given a return date yet.

8. BabaOReilly

OK, then that just sounds like it has short seasons, and will return (hopefully) for season 2 in October. Something I just read somewhere had a SyFy exec singing the praises of the show, so I am anticipating it's return. I hope so, anyway- I'm totally hooked!

9. BabaOReilly

So, I think this may be filming again... or getting ready to. My friend and I were just having a beer on a patio on Granville Island, and John Markinson (plays the cop investigating Zoe as a terrorist) and John Pyper-Ferguson (Eric Stolz's rival) were sitting at a table close by. On a side note, Eric McCormack from Will and Grace was with them for a while. :) He's here doing a stage version of Glengarry Glenross that looks like it might be good.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this show returning (hopefully) in the fall...

Edited to add: OK, no they're not here filming Caprica... they're actually doing the play with Eric McCormack. :lol: My bad. And the play runs into mid August I think, so I'm guessing they won't be filming before then, probably. Then again, I guess these guys aren't in every episode, so... who knows?

In short, I actually have nothing new to report on the next season of Caprica! :lol:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  10. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Hey, it's all good. Just keep the sightings coming...:cool:

Hopefully, Syfy will announce a return date soon. The timeframe is right to begin advertising Caprica's return now that the new seasons of Warehouse 13 and Eureka (yay James Callis!) have started.

11. BabaOReilly

Yeah I just watched "Haven" on Hulu last night (don't tell anyone though, because you're not supposed to be able to do that from Canada... ;) ) and I was hoping to see something about Caprica in one of the commercials... Or maybe SGU. I guess we'll just have to be patient.