Episode 8x17 - 'Getting Axed' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Mar 5, 2010.

1. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I enjoyed this episode, the receptionist had enemies so it was interesting to see who the killer was, and it wasn't who I suspected it would be

Ryan is adorable in this episode, I should've been a receptionist. I wish I could live here, LOL! Can't blame him after seeing where the victim lived, that too on the salary she makes

What was with Jesse asking Travers if he had a girlfriend yet?

Loved the ending, where Tripp, Jesse, Ryan and Walter got onto the elevator only to exit after the elevator looked like it was giving trouble. It was a cute scene

2. hahagirl

hahagirl Hit and Run

I liked this episode. Felt bad for the lady who everyone thought was evil. And the beginning was creepy, very nice.

3. texmex327

texmex327 Pathologist

wow...for the first time I actually enjoyed an episode...and Eric wasn't even in the episode, which makes it strange. :eek: :lol:

Repeat after me: I will never complain about my co-workers ever again...I don't want someone coming after me with an ax

The last part with Tripp, Walter, Ryan & Jesse in the elevator made me laugh, I think I'll be taking the stairs in the morning too :lol:

So exactly why was Jesse asking Travers if he had a new girlfriend? :wtf:

Natalia's missing again...she must be on vacation?

One minor complaint...Calleigh looked so pretty in Yellow last week, why must she be in all black again...

other than that....it was funny...CSI: Miami has been redeemed for this week :lol:

4. CSI_Natalia

CSI_Natalia Prime Suspect

CSIMandy, how do you get to watch so early? Where do you live?

Another episode that I didn't LOVE or Hate...

I was glad to see Ryan being very hands on with this one, and glad to see much of the team working together... although even when they're working 'together' it's more like the term we use (we being Early childhood educators) to describe how babies play together... "parallel play".."Parallel play is a form of play where children play adjacent to each other, but in a seemingly solitary manner. An observer will notice that they occasionally notice what the other is doing and then modify their play accordingly."

There's just a lack of chemistry or chumminess... sure we have our moments, or one liners back and fourth... but overall there is still a certain j'nai se quois missing...

My favorite part was definitely the last scene of this one.

Is Eva La Rue working on some secret project we don't know about??... She's on full contract, yet gets half (if even) that amount of air time as 'guest star' Adam Rodrigez (not that I am complaining about getting to see him). -- Just that I would like an explanation for why she hasn't been seen much of.... Maybe Natalia is secretly dating Travers :lol: .. I hope that her underuse this season, is to make room for her having big storylines in the weeks to come, or next season...

Not to start a rumor, but is Emily Proctor pregnant?... I really started wondering since seeing "Miami We have a problem" , she's just looks different to me, Maybe it's just her natural aging.. she's still stunning, I just think she looks different lately.

5. vsuga

vsuga Rookie

I still got an 1.5 hours till CSI. What a wait? Sounds like a fun epi from all the reviews.

6. nwolfson22

nwolfson22 Police Officer

I also really enjoyed this episode, although it seemed a little strange to me in the beginning, but here are a few yay points.
    1. Ryan and Calleigh walking arm in arm into the house.
    2. Ryan leaving Tom in the elevator without a ladder, classic.
    3. The whole story and its twists and turns, well done.
    4. The ending with the guys in the elevator with the elevator music, lmao, so funny.

A few things I didn't like,
    1. What is up with that dude's rubrics cube inspired shirt?
    2. Jessie's smart ass remarks to Travers...seriously at least he (Travers) isn't a stalker.
    3. Ryan's hair...
    4. Horatio's shirt....(I think I might buy a few new shirts and send them into the wardrobe department).

Overall it was really great, it even had a "touched by an angel" ending..ie -> heartfelt confession in the end. hehe

7. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

I enjoyed this episode too! Although I have to admit most of it was due to Ryan's good amount of screentime. I really enjoyed the Ryan and Calleigh moments; I really miss their on screen chemistry and we got to see a little of it again tonight. They did rehash the same storyline from Sex and Taxes, where the office worker was slowly being poisoned and the fingernails giving it away. Not very original and was disappointed with that.

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

This episode was just ok -- a little yawn-worthy, but a few good moments. Loved all the Ryan - that was likely the highlight, as was the closing scene. :p

The rest annoyed me. From the guest characters being beyond stupid, to the dialogue thrown in to sound funny but fell flat.
    Examples: Pulling a fire alarm just so you can go get your boyfriend, living in a ceiling & stealing lunches just because your that cheap, pretending your a Father & going the length of actually putting up artwork that your "son" created, then to poisoning Renee just to get her sick & stay home. That office was full of absolute morons! How I miss the days of having guest characters who were just the ordinary-everyday-suspicious-creeped-out-folk.

Dialogue -- Yikes. A few lines were delivered terribly & didn't flow with the scene. Jesse's question to Travers - "do you have a girlfirend yet" I will assume was meant to be some kind of joke. However, it didn't go with the scene at all & felt thrown in -- very lame attempt at humor.
    Calleigh: "what's wrong Tom, you don't like the shade she's wearing" -- that might have been funny had we not already known WHY Tom was wanting to take off her polish. People, if your going to write in sarcasm do it right please! Speedle could have pulled that off, Ryan, even Natalia, but this one didn't work. Lame attempt, try again.

That said, Tom being stuck on top of the elevator did work, that was a hoot..and...it didn't feel like a forced comedic throw in.

I did miss Natalia, of course. I'm guessing this is something behind-the-scenes & is likely the same reason why we see Lindsay, Adam & Sid on NY taking "off" episodes as well. Hopefully this isn't something that we'll have to see for the remainder of the series. :(

Grade - A+ for all the Ryan & his hotness...he looked mighty fine last night. ;)
    The rest ... meh, C.

9. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I really loved it -- thought it was 10 times better than 'LA'.

I actually liked those parts. :lol: It was a lot more refreshing to me than lab politics, mob bosses and international drug cartels. The office murder and the suspects felt a lot more 'close-to-home' and simple, for me.

The murder was pretty unique (how it played out) and while the humor was at times a little awkward, it made the episode fun for me anyway. :) It also kept me guessing, which was nice.

My favourite part of the episode probably had to be when they found out the secretary had been a VP and her decision led to the suicide of one of her employees, which led to her own murder. I thought it was really well-written, despite Krystal Houghton not being one of my favourite writers by any means.

The team worked really well together and it was great to see Calleigh lighten up a bit. :p She seemed a lot more comfortable in this episode.

The only thing that grated me about this episode (and any other, for that matter) was the unrealistic fashion-sense everyone's sporting. Regular people working for an investment firm probably don't wear designer labels and strut around like catalogue models. It's why I miss the wardrobe people from season 2/3 (I assume he/she/they left because it's been getting increasingly ridiculous over the years). It definitely sets the show apart and gives it more flare but it's hard to make your character believable and relatable to the audience when their wardrobe costs more than your car. :/

Overall though, A+ from me. :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  10. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

That plot device was also used in CSI: My Nanny an episode where it seems I'm the only person who thought it was good...

Had trouble watching this episode as my concentration was split between it, wrestling (On my PC Monitor) and my Video game but from what I saw it seemed like an OK ep. Nice to see Ryan step up to the plate and that bit with Travers and Jesse seemed awkward. Correction, it was a bad scene as it only served in making Jesse look worse especially to his critics..

To be fair, society does have douches like those above where they do things that are ridiculous but normal to them. Perhaps those people are inspirations of fools the writer has read about or encountered.

There was a funny little goof when Horatio and Frank are looking at the classic car. When they show the scene the first time, a woman is seen walking in the back. Later that same woman is shown walking the same way in another scene. Reminds me of the goof from "You may now kill the bride"

11. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I enjoyed a lot of the episode,it had a more lighthearted feel toward it.Of Ryan was really great and he really looked good too . Agree about the Jesse,Travers scene.The girlfriend question didn't flow somehow.
    Would have loved to see Natalia in this episode,she does lighthearted well and would have been perfect.
    Unfortunately there are people out there that stupid. I think my ex sister-in law is stupid enough to pull a fire alarm for that reason,and I've known people who have made up really wild scenarios of their lives,that guy pretending he had a kid was nothing.

12. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

This episode was "just OK" for me. It was nice to see Ryan getting some quality screen-time, and his tongue-in-cheek lines and comedic moments (e.g., leaving Tom stuck on top of the elevator) were great. :lol: I also loved the elevator scene between Ryan, Frank, Walter and Jesse at the end. Everything, from the elevator music to characters' delivery of their lines, was just humorously perfect. I haven't laughed out loud like that at a CSIM moment in awhile.:guffaw:

On the "minus" side, there was no Natalia (or Eric, but that's another story;)). And that joke Jesse tried to throw at Travers fell as flat as a pancake.:wtf: I guess the writers were attempting to demonstrate the rapport that Jesse has with his colleagues, but this attempt at humor just felt forced and out-of-place. In contrast, Calleigh walking into the victim's house arm-in-arm with Ryan was a cute, natural moment between friendly co-workers. I guess that goes to show that oftentimes, trying to manufacture chemistry where none inherently exists, can end up seeming transparent and awkward. IMO, the Jesse/Travers scene should have been left on the cutting-room floor.:rolleyes:

Overall, I'd give this episode a C, with Ryan getting a special shout-out.:)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  13. vsuga

vsuga Rookie

I concurr with the majority of the review.. It was light and fun. I really enjoyed the interaction with the team and corny lines were cute. I love it. ;)

14. Enhinti

Enhinti Rookie

I really like this episode!
    I give it an A!

Things I loved
    Ryan acting like smart, funny, interesting, Ryan he is, instead of the moron look-alike they've given use a few times this season. Yuck!
    Jesse' not everywhere telling everyone else how to do things. He was good in all but one scene, with Mikey. Other then that this is the best Jesse I've seen. (Why couldn't they have written like this for the first episodes this season?!?)
    Calleigh paired with Ryan. They are a good team!
    Micky and Dave! Yes!
    Frank having the start, (That is his job after all) and also getting a few other scenes. I love Frank!
    All the humor being humor, and not just mocking each other. I was laughing when Ryan left Dr. Tom up there! I've been wondering when he'd pull one on the good ME! Haha!
    The start and the end! Nice! And the gentlemen in the elevator was well done too!

Things I wasn't so impressed with...
    Where is Natti?!?
    This is the second episode that
    Jesse asking Mikey about a girl friend. Funny line, and Mikey's reaction in funny, but the way Jesse said t it fell flat. They should have given it to either Ryan or Frank.
    Woman poison then killed by some one else... Um is it just me, or is this a major recycled devise. Seriously! How many female murder victims are there who previously ingested some poison administered by another woman who hoped to get her "a little sick." Dr. Tom does it so well, but still with all the self copying this season, I'd hoped that the writers had hit something a little more unique.

15. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

Liked how lighthearted the epi was and the craziness of the office folks added into one big mess (nice office :wtf: *g*).

No Natalia, but a few of the labrats + more than one Frank scene + Tom = happy xeri (yeah I'm easy ^^).

Some things didn't add up right for me (mentioned in posts above), but overall I could live with them; just one thing at the end still buggs me: Valerie still at the office ? -> comes across like her teensy weensy felony didn't matter 'cause the victim didn't die of poisen :confused: hope it's just a matter of timeframe in regard to the solution of the murder ...

Yep nice humor between the charas and it at least felt like a good balance of screen time (didn't look at the watch, just enjoyed the fun parts -> means bonus points for CSI Miami from me ;) ).

The end scene reminded me of a elevator scene in Criminal Minds with Reid and Morgan and it will def. be one of the scenes I'll remember with a big grin :D

EDIT: Found CM scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Hvr72OAqQ
    (...yep bouncing in an elevator can be "fun" *eg*, but after a not so trust inducing (but totally harmless) elevatorbug I too was a bit wary )

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010