What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. lal

lal Pathologist

Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

Just finished Under the Dome by Stephen King , which i thought was very good :) and now i'm reading The Stand by Stephen King .

2. lil_janie

lil_janie Hit and Run

I saw Under the Dome in a store, but it was a luxurious one and I can't buy it at the moment. There's no translation, but than again - I prefer the originals, English was never problem for me to understand.

You say that it's good, can you say a bit more without spoilers?

I'm about to go on a ride with Salem't Lot. Just got it, but the translation seems off - it looks like the person who did it doesn't know their own language and it hurts my brain to read it - that's what I can tell from the start. Oh well. I'll just have to get over it ;)

3. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ I wrote a bit about Under the Dome back on page 10 of this thread, if that helps. I really enjoyed it too. :)

4. lil_janie

lil_janie Hit and Run

I'll take a look. I read this thread whole, BabaOReilly, but I must have missed it somehow. Thanks :)

I found and read your post. How it got past me I'll never know. King often writes about the entire population of some small place/town. Even when the story is all about individual characters there is always at least a part about a group as some kind of entity (be it smaller group of people or entire place). I adore his style, and he's one of the few writers that can still creep/scare me. Not much does anymore, I am seasoned horror reader/watcher.

The book looked fat. I mean, really BIG. I have to buy it soon, I'll work on it. It costs like three more expensive books, but I know it'll be worth it. It even looks beautiful, all blue and with more than standard hard cover, and so shiny....

Oh, I think that I'm in love hehe.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  5. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

Just finished reading the lovely bones by Alice sebold

and now reading the road by Cormac Mcarthy Not quite sure what it is about books that have been made into movies that i like but both of them are brilliant hopefully the films will be good;)

6. Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

I am currently reading a very good book "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" penned down by J K Rowling. She has written about 6 books and all of these were gifted to me by a friend of mine for Christmas. He knows this kind of books I like. I am enjoying reading this book.

7. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Just finished with Halo: The Fall of Reach. Although I've never played the game I must admit I really liked the book. Granted, it's not a literary milestone but it's well written and an exciting read.

I've started with the second novel, The Flood, and will definitely read the rest of the novels, too.

8. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

Mortal Wounds -by Max Allan Collins

I like the thought of three books in one (saves space on the bookshelves)

9. smacked4ever

smacked4ever Prime Suspect

kiefer sutherland living dangerously (an auto-biographyon him)

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

the red pony by steinbeck - i'm having a break from french homework! it's one of the few of his i've not read and it made me have a little sob on the tube which was obviously just great....

11. hotspot

hotspot Hit and Run

I don't really read books, but the only thing I read on purpose is the D-Gray man Manga.

12. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Dan Brown - Deception point

From the start, I thought the story seemed to be confusing. As I based it on the little I knew about it. But the more I actually read it (am halfway now), the more I like it. The interest kinda 'grows' and makes the book still worth watching. Otherwise, I would had given up early. Still looks very promising. I like the way Brown writes.

13. gregfan3

gregfan3 Police Officer

I am reading Sue Grafton's T is for Trespass (she is an awesome mystery writer), Grave Matters (a CSI novel, what a surprise!), and re-reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I love books, you can never have enough of them! Also, one of my sisters bought the British version of Sense and Sensibility for me for Christmas which I am very much looking forward to reading...it is one of my all time favorite stories (and movies).
    :)

14. LtKitty

LtKitty Pathologist

''House and Philosophy'' . Wanted to buy it but friend beat me to it so i borrowed.

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i'm reading "to a god unknown" by steinbeck, which i'm loving, as i usually do steinbeck books.

i'm also listening to gary sinise reading the audiobook of "travels with charley", also by steinbeck, and it's utterly, utterly wonderful, he reads really well and it's a very entertaining book <3