Earthquakes and Tsunami

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Bonasera-Taylor, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonasera-Taylor

Bonasera-Taylor Prime Suspect

seems that several countries are on Tunsami alert. including NZ which is where i am

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
  2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Re: Chile Earthquake

For those who haven't heard yet...

Huge quake hits Chile; tsunami threatens Pacific
    Feb 27, 12:41 PM (ET)
    By ROBERTO CANDIA and EVA VERGARA

TALCA, Chile (AP) - One of the strongest earthquakes ever recorded struck Chile on Saturday, toppling homes, collapsing bridges and plunging trucks into the fractured earth. A tsunami set off by the magnitude-8.8 quake threatened every nation around the Pacific Ocean - roughly a quarter of the globe.

Chileans near the epicenter were tossed about as if shaken by a giant.
    It was the strongest earthquake to hit Chile in 50 years. President-elect Sebastian Pinera said more than 120 people died, a number that was rising quickly.

The quake shook buildings in Argentina's capital of Buenos Aires, and was felt as far away as Sao Paulo in Brazil - 1,800 miles (2,900 kilometers) to the east.

Full story at AP News.

3. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Hawaii is also bracing for 8 feet swells. There is also a tsunami warning extending from the Oregon and Washington coast (where I am) to the coast of British Columbia. The Games in Vancouver are not effected officials say.

Full story

4. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I fear for the rising death toll in Chile... as well as a friend of mine in Hawaii right now. I hope everyone has had enough warning to prevent more deaths.

5. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

You might want to rename the thread because You have the Earthquake in Chile, the Tsunami, then on Tsunami headed toward Hawaii, and now as of 4:54 pm et (my time).

From MSNBC
    SALTA, Argentina - A strong earthquake struck northwestern Argentina on Saturday on the same day that a massive temblor struck neighboring Chile. Authorities reported at least one person was killed.
    The 6.3 magnitude quake struck around midday about 15 miles north of the city of Salta, some 800 miles north-northwest of the capital Buenos Aires, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.
    An 8-year-old boy died and two other children were injured, a hospital director in Salta told local media.
    The quake was a separate event, not an aftershock of the devastating magnitude 8.8 quake that struck Chile, officials said.

6. Shica

Shica Victim

http://www.google.com/intl/en/relief/chileearthquake/

Every little bit helps, if you can find it in your hearts.

I hope this doesn't look like spam or something like that. I'm from Chile, and I humbly ask for the help, or the prayers and thoughts of anyone who's listening.

Thank you very much... :thumbsup:

7. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your Country I wish I could do more but am currently unemployed but I honestly hope ya'll make it through this tough time

As for all those affected by any tsunamis I hope you all make it threw as well

8. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

My thoughts and prayers are also with all these victims of this horiffic tragedy. This is a tough one, but I live on the mother of all faults the San Andreas and on Feb. 14 we had 22 earthquakes on Friday, [in a small town called Redlands] and 11 on Saturday, the following day. We have quakes on a daily basis, which people live in a constant state of fear and panic. I live in the Inland Empire and although these quakes are little tremblors, their still scary. I also am on the San Jacinto fault, which leveled this town in the 30's. I was watching Anderson Cooper interview a seismologist, and the five top geographical places where the "big one" could hit, and the #1 one was Los Angeles:wtf: talk about scary. Here's some sites showing our quakes~

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/latest.htm

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/117-34_eqs.htm

http://www.data.scec.org/fault_index/sanandre.html SAN ANDREAS

9. LadyTaylor

LadyTaylor Dead on Arrival

A Chilean CSI fan here! Luckily i'm fine, my family and I have been good. I live in Santiago (capital city) and here we felt the quake very strongly. Nonethless, in other cities, it was big.

I'll tell you more soon. My i-net connection is a bit slow and unstable right now.

Hugs to everyone. Thanks for your interest and prayers.

10. Desertwind

Let us know how things are going LadyTaylor and this morning at 4:04, we had another quake a 4.4 this isn't in comparision to the big ones, in Haiti or Chilie but were' primed. I was sleeping and all of a sudden my closet was rattling and then the window and then the "jolt" I ran down the hallway and as always freaked out, it makes my nauseous. Turned ont the TV and it was all over the L.A. news. It was centered in Pico Rivera, a suburb of L.A. it was 11 miles deep and was felt for hundreds of miles throughout to surrounding cities:(

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/118-34.html

11. Desertwind

STUDY SUGGESTS TOADS CAN DETECT COMING EARTHQUAKES

When it comes to predicing earthquakes toads--warts and all--may be an asset. British researchers said Wednesday that they observed a mass exodus of toads from their breeding site in Italy five days before a major tremor struck, suggesting the amphibians may be able to sense enviornmental changes, impercepitable to humans, that fortell a coming quake. since ancient times, ancedotes and folkfore have linked unusual animal behavior to cataclysmic events like earthquakes, but hard evidence has been scarce. A new study by researchers from the Open University is one of the first to document animal behavior before, durng and after an earthquake. The scientists were studying the common toad-bufo-bufo-at a breeding colony in central Italy when they noticed a sharp decline in the number of animals at the site. A day later a 6.3 magntude earthquake hit, killing hundreds of people and badly damaging the town of L'Aquila~ [I'll check out my pet toad and ask him if this is true]

NEWS SERVICES

12. Desertwind

I suppose everyone's heard about our disastrous earthquake yesterday, Happy Easter in Mexicali, a 7.2 and it hit here bad. at 3:40:( I was on the phone with a failmy member, when it hit and lasted for 45 seconds. It knocked over pictures, knick-knacks, plants my CD rack.. I was terrified and was screaming. It's a direct line from the epicenter to where I am. We felt two strong aftershocks one at 6 pm and one at 4 am this morning. I'm a nervous wreck.~

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/latest.htm

http://news.lalate.com/2010/04/05/san-diego-earthquake-2010-today/?flv=1

13. gregfan3

gregfan3 Police Officer

I am so sorry to hear about what you have been through! That must be absolutely terrifying. Hang in there, Desertwind!

LadyTaylor- I am so glad to hear that you and your family are safe and sound!

My thoughts, prayers, and hugs to all of those effected by these horrible tragedies.

14. Desertwind

Thank's gregfan3 that's so nice of you. It still has everyone on pins and needles. We're definetely in earthquake land:( Waiting for the BIG ONE, we've got them everyday, and sometimes well alot really, I want to move back to Nevada?

15. Desertwind

We had another 4.4 at 2:12 am. It shook my bed:eek: and I freaked out as usual. It was another aftershock from the 7.2 on Easter, and was on the same fault that hit Mexcali/Calexico. Talk about frayed nerves:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.