The Screentime Tallyboard

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Mar 24, 2009.

1. CSI4evr

CSI4evr Rookie

just want to pop in and ask if anybody was doing the tallies anymore cause this thread seems to be really inactive

2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

^^ I haven't done tallies for the last 2 episodes, & probably won't continue unless the screentime becomes an issue again. We've seen an improvement in team interaction & the mix-up of characters; the screentime is at least somewhat better than the last few seasons -- I won't be pushing the tallies anymore, but I'm keeping my eye out, as I'm sure other fans are as well. ;)
    The thread can stay open (if Mods don't mind) for those who wish to discuss the issue on past, or future, episodes.

3. CSI_Natalia

CSI_Natalia Prime Suspect

poor natalia (and us who are fans)
    she went from 12 to like 2 in every other episode

Glad to see more Ryan..and everyone being 'teamy' though

4. Jacks

Jacks Rookie

You know, I've been looking through the stats, and I honestly don't see how they're any better. Certainly, there were a few episodes where screentime was more evenly distributed, but in general, Horatio and Jesse usually had the top two spots (with the exception of a few times when it was Calleigh in the first or second position). In fact, there were quite a few times when Jesse had a ridiculously high count and everyone else (Horatio included in a few instances) kind of stayed within the same range.
    The more I look through the tallies, and the more I read comments, the more I realize that this is all completely subjective. There are people complaining that Horatio isn't getting enough screen time when, for the most part, he has been known to have the most. Ergo, some episodes will end up featuring certian characters (and those characters will have higher tallies because that's what happens) it doesn't mean they're hating on your favorite character...it means there's a particular storyline they're looking at, an actor wasn't available for filming, etc.
    That said, I would love it if Frank got some more screentime. To the best of my knowledge, he's the only one getting shafted for absolutely no reason at all (Eva has other commitments, Adam isn't a regular, etc.)

5. kala79

kala79 Lab Technician

I think that Horatio gets the biggest amount of screentime as he is a leading male and Calleigh because she is a leading female. So I don't understand why people complain about these two. It's like Mac/Stella in NY and Gil/Cathrine in LV. The rest of the characters are not in the lead.
    But I would also like to see more Natalia and Ryan.

6. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Oh, definitely! Everyone wants their favorite character to have more screen time and they miss them when in an episode their time is diminished or non-existent.

I wonder sometimes if it isn't quantity as much as quality that is the complaint and because the time the character appeared was less than hoped in content, "time" is what is thought to be the problem.

Frank getting more time seems to be what most are requesting. I hope someone is listening.

I'm curious, what other commitments are you refering to with Eva? Her appearance on AMC has been used to death. Are you referrring to her upcoming marriage?

7. CSI_Natalia

For most characters, Quality of Quantity is definitely what's needed...I'll take quantity over nothing..

8. TnLance

TnLance Hit and Run

Ms. CSI Natalia, I love Eva LaRue, I'm glad in Season 9 there was more of Natalia than Calleigh. Nothing against Emily Procter, but it was getting to a point to where I felt Natalia was not on as much as the rest, even Horatio. This season, everthing didn't point at the Calleigh/Eric relationship, there was more Natalia and Horatio than I saw in Season 8. Season 8 in my opinion was the weakest sesaon of all the CSI-Miami seasons. This past season there was less focus on romance on more focus on crime, and catching the killers, like Memmo, going back to Horatio's past. We saw a part of Natalia Boa Vista we never saw before. Nat was on the "front line" taking care of business. There was one episode where I got a "big kick" out of when Natalia grab a suspect by the arm and threw him down. Shows she has some muscles! Advice to all criminals at there, "Don't mess with Natialia Boa Vista"!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  9. CSI_Natalia

I too was glad to see more Natalia this past season, however I feel just as empty about the overall feel of her character as I have in past seasons. -- The reason is still lack of character development (and this extends to across the board to all characters). -- This is a show about Crime scene investigating, not a show about crime scene investigators. -- There is a gaping hole in the show, and that hole is where the character's history, development and continuity belongs. -- Things happen to our characters, BIG, LIFE CHANGING, things. But it doesn't really matter who it happens to, because in the end, the result is the same: Whomever was the involved party goes back to working on a case, as if nothing happened. Usually the incident is never mentioned again, or brought up/rehashed at seemingly randomly times, or when the writers decide to capitalize on it. At times, there seems promise, maybe there is a multiple episode arch where their seems to be some kind of progress, however eventually things always go back to as if nothing happened. -- Most episodes can be viewed out of order (often times new episodes are aired out of order) -- if one were to view the eps. out of order without realizing it, they might say 'wait, did I miss something?' and then rematch in the intended order, they would feel the same feeling of something missing... because something IS missing! Character development.