Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Oct 22, 2009.

1. MelinaStellaFan

MelinaStellaFan Hit and Run

the women's halfpipe in snowboarding was bad they kept falling and that now it figue skating and so far that going ok

2. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

I STILL think it is AWESOME Shaun White GOT GOLD COOL!!!!!!

Congrats to Lindsey Vonn and the other us team medal winners in the last 48 hours

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Christine Nesbitt has won another gold medal for Canada :) She won the gold in 1,000 metre speed skating race. This is Canada's third gold medal of the games :) we have a total of 7 medals. 3 gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze

Go Canada Go

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

You see lots of old guys on ice if you watch Finland's game (seriously, they got all grandpas: S Koivu, Selänne, Lehtinen, Peltonen....)

I have to say I am glad OJ (O. Jokinen) got his first goal already so pressure is off.. and Hagman - two :eek:

as for hockey - I wonder if women's hockey will stay as olympic event? There's not much to watch, if you know already who is going to be in finals. I mean, it was Canada-Sweden in Torino and now Canada kicked Sweden's ass 13-1
    It's sad.

I wonder if ringette would be any better for women?

5. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

That's funny you say that because I was just having this conversation with a friend yesterday about the same thing. I think they took out women's ski jumping for that same reason- the competitive field was just too small. And aside from Canada and the US, women's hockey is just not as advanced in most countries... yet. I'm sure the teams currently playing would like to be given the chance to develop, but who knows how long that would take.

They flashed an interesting stat here last night- something about 4 out of the top 5 Euro teams have Canadian coaches? Is that true? Very cool, if so. It's like our European connection! :)

Man that men's game against Switzerland was a nail biter! Now that's some fun hockey to watch! (I can say that because we won... :lol: ) I think Canadians always go in with the attitude that the gold is a slam dunk in hockey, and yet there are some tough games ahead of us... Still, I think our chances are better than most. ;)

6. MelinaStellaFan

yea he happy he got another gold for snowboarding I heard he did really well on it

7. BabaOReilly

Shaun White is a sick rider, for sure. Must be nice to have your own private half pipe too! I'm still laughing at all the hubbub over them swearing on camera for NBC! Hah!

Ducky, I thought of you when I read this new definition on the "Urban Dictionary": Olympic Narcolepsy - The sensation you get that you will abruptly fall asleep at any moment during the day due to trying to watch as much of the Olympics as you can the night prior, causing you to stay up way too late. A seasonal disorder, occuring in winter or summer only, and is of brief duration (around 2 weeks), an...d usually occurs in even numbered years.

8. MelinaStellaFan

yea he quite lucky on that and top it all off he skatebaords too

9. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

O.K. after watching the Men's Skeleton race My fave from My country of Latvia was beaten by a Canadian. :( Congrats to the Canadian team for another Gold.

10. BabaOReilly

Yeah, a CRAZY Canadian at that! :lol: Way to go Montgomery!!! :D

On a side note, I was watching it on the official Canadian Tv channel, and my old roomate "Slinky" was at the front of crowd cheering and posting a flag during the flower cermoney! :) (I lived in Whistler from 1996-2003). :D

11. MelinaStellaFan

I missed some of it tonight wonder what happen

12. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

You mean women's national teams or what? Could be - their are like the dutch in football :lol:

I know in Finland some top coaches don't think much of women's hockey and even our own league is bit sad - there is only 3 teams that can win national championship. They cannot make living out of hockey and only way to become better is to go to USA but... our goalie (Räty) is playing in the USA at the moment.

But with hockey... even in men's hockey the same countries are there year after year. In the early 2000 Slovakia and Belarus started to be "taken seriously" but.. Switzerland - the same. Germany has gone forward but..but.

This mornings (yes,game started at 7am) game was quite good (men's hockey), 5-0 win from Germany. Had to listen to it from radio (stupid cows *kick* ) I think it's sad if someone like Jarkko Ruutu has scored 2 for us :lol: he isnt' exactly the one who is there to make goals.

:p :p

13. Rocky11

Rocky11 CSI Level One

[​IMG] Its gonna be a long night for me [​IMG] wanna see speed skating with Sven Kramer,
    I love Shani Davis but Sven has to win [​IMG]

14. MelinaStellaFan

i think tonight there is speedskating now there is some kind of skiing later more figureskating

15. Miyukiseta

Miyukiseta Rookie

I can't wait for Sunday's hockey game, Canada vs. USA! Gonna be lots of people watching these two rivals battle it out.

Canada vs. Switzerland was a close call. 2-2 and double overtime. Lots of love to Sid the Kid for that amazing slapshot!:)

Go Canada go!!!