Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Brooklyn_Girl30

Brooklyn_Girl30 Dead on Arrival

LoL:guffaw: - Maybe Vancover Can Borrow Snow From Northern European Countries....

They Seem to Plenty of Snow.....

Does Anyone Know When the Mens's Hockey Turnament Begins ????

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Ah yes, we have quite lot of snow here :p I love it, but poor south hasn't got real winter for 10 yrs or so and those poor people have forgot that we live in north and are totally lost.

Anyways, I think hockey starts right away, at least Finland's first game is on 14th.
    Oh so many nights to stay up - the only time I've been making coffee at 3am :lol:

Edit: Oh, sorry men's hockey starts on 16th, women start right on 13th :D
    And thank gof for Finn's games! First 22pm (Finland time) and two others at 7am :D Women's hockey has more crappy times :p

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  3. Brooklyn_Girl30

Brooklyn_Girl30 Dead on Arrival

Thanks Ducky!:)

Looking Forward to Men's Hockey, Haven't decided who to cheer for

So Many Teams So Many Favorite Hockey Players - And Only 1 of Me !?? LOL:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll196/CSINYMIA000/feb0410_6things_2.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll196/CSINYMIA000/alg_olympics_lundqvist.jpg

VANCOUVER OLYMPICS 2010

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2010
  4. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Whenever I see pictures of Luongo, I can help but holler out, "Luuuuuuuuu!" That can be a little awkward if I'm at work... :lol:

Man, if only we were getting dumped on like the Midwest and East of there in the US right now... crazy. Although it would have to stop by Friday. ;)

5. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I generally don't watch the olympics but I do keep track of the medal count. :)

You might be missing some of the US athletes at the opening ceremonies. Two blizzards on the East coast in one week has played havoc with airports and traveling arrangements. :lol: According to the weather channel we've got 1 ice dancer stuck in Philly until Thursday afternoon at least and the USOC helped Johnny Weir (sp?) get out of NJ in between storms.

Susan

6. BabaOReilly

Well, the city is a'pulsatin' right now and I gotta admit, it's pretty exciting. Esepcially after I saw Steve Nash downtown and he let me take a fuzzy picture of him. Heckuva nice guy. I believe he was a torchbearer yesterday. Very cool.

Looking forward to the opening ceremonies today, despite the tragic death of that poor Georgian Luge-er today while training. Very sad; he was only 21. Anyway, I will raise a glass in his honour. And I will try not to be too drunk by the time the Canadian team closes out the ceremony. :) Go Canada! :D

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I'm looking forward to this phenomenal event too. I love the ice skating, and am so in awe that these skaters can do what they do on ice, it's magical:bolian: should be a fun week, so Baba do you live in Vancouver? One of my best friends is from there, and her mom and sister are still there.. this should be so exciting for the whole world:eek:

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

the opening ceremony was really cool - i always enjoy watching those. the bit with the whales 'swimming' around the arena floor with real jets of water was sooooo cool, that was my favourite bit. the combination of video & arena floor, and lighting generally was very well done.

also i thought the first speech (not the ioc guy, the other one, i managed to miss who that was, oops) was pretty good.

i generally prefer winter olympics to summer ones, i like more of the sports (mainly various skiing things, ski jumps, bobsled, luge, and figure skating) so i'll be watching a fair bit of it probably in moments of idleness :)

i just REALLY hope that we (ie London 2012) can pull off something good in two years' time. from what i can tell not that many londoners actually supported our olympic bid (it was mainly politicians!) but i was one of the few that did, i think it could be fantastic. they're already working on infrastructure which, us being a stroppy lot, is not having much impact yet apart from to piss the entire city off with tube closures and roadworks, but if they keep going with it i think we could do it. i just really really hope we don't cock it up because the potential for doing so is huge.

9. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

The first weather related issue of the games has arisen. The Men's Downhill race which was to have been held today I think, has been put off until at least Monday. The course at Whistler is 'soft and slushy'.

Go Canada Go

10. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

I think the Opening Ceremony was cool, although it was a bit lame that Nelly Furtado and Bryan Adams didn't perfom live and Bryan even messed up in the beginning. He started to "sing" when his voice could already be heard.

But everything else was nice, especially the thing with the whales! I'm looking forward to the 7,5km biathlon race today. I wonder whether our German girls will be able win :D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  11. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

I have read in the news that the weather may cause problems tomorrow too, but they are still unsure about. Because of the snow. I think it's quite sad. Although we cannot do anything about it.

Have been watching re-runs today, and will try to watch it live this evening (and night). It looks all right so far. Can't really complain.

12. BabaOReilly

Yep, I'm in Vancouver. I love this city. :)

The whales were my fave too. I liked pretty much everything, except I thought the red skiers and snowboarders hanging by the white mountain thingy sort of dragged on too long. That wheatfield thing might have dragged for some people too, I imagine, but I really liked the song, so I sort of enjoyed it. Too bad the fifth arm of the big indoor torch didn't come up, but it was still cool. Steve Nash looked so happy to be there! :) Wayne needed to loosen up a bit. He looked stiff as a board.

13. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

But the Indians tried in 07. :lol: It was fun to watch and wasn't our fault that Seattle didn't think so, our guys were fine, Mariners said they couldn't see the ball, just when that finale out would have put the game into regulation and if called the Indians would have won.

Back on topic nope no plans to watch I know its was said on the news that NE Ohio was represented by first timers.
    Mens BOBSLED: Jamie Moriarty (Pepper Pike)
    Womens Ice Hockey: Kelli Stack (Brooklyn Heights) & Brianne McLaughlin (Backup goalie - Sheffield Village)
    Mens Snowboarding (Halfpipe): Louie Vito (Columbus)

But still no plans to watch it at all.

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

haha i really liked our british commentary of that - the woman said "this is the official song. believe me, you WILL be singing it for the rest of the day even if you don't want to be" :lol:

i kind of agree - although the wheatfield bit was so mesmerisingly beautiful i didn't mind too much. i guess they had to have the snowboards/skiers up there a good long time seeing as how they're kind of the focus, but i agreed. the irish/scottish dancing segment was awesome as well :D

was there meant to be a 5th arm? if it makes it any better, i don't think anyone over here even noticed - i certainly didn't and the commentary never said anything...

15. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Okay, I have to come in here and say that the opening ceremony was brilliant! I loved it all. From an announcer snowboarding in through the Olympic rings to Wayne Gretzky lighting the outdoor cauldron. At one point on CTV here, they showed a close up of Patrick Chan and he looked so in awe. It summed up my feelings about the whole thing.

To answer your question lisasimpson, yes, there was supposed to be another arm, but the hydraulics system in BC place malfunctioned.

Anyway, I just watched the women's moguls, which is a skiing event. Hannah Kearney of the USA won Gold, Jennifer Heil of Canada won Silver and Shannon Bahrke of the USA won Bronze. A bit dissapointing for us Canbadian fans, since she was our best bet for the first Canadian to win Gold at a Canadian games, but Silver is great and I'm very proud of her. Another Canadian competitor, Chloe Dufour-Lapointe finished 5th, which is great considering she's only 18.