Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics games will be held from February 12 to February 28, 2010. The Olympic Torch was officially lit today to start it's trek towards Vancouver and the opening ceremony.

I don't follow the Olympics but I will root as always for Canada to do well. I hope with the games being at home this year that the athletes will do well despite the pressures that will be on them.

Go Canada [​IMG]

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Yay for Winter Olympics \o/ We are more succesfull with those than Summer olympics :p :lol:

Oh ice hockey will be so intersting... and cross-country skiing of course! Ohoh I am so excited already and I hope I don't have any compulsory lectures during the olympics. I slo love watching sports, of course one annoying thing is that most will be on during our night, if some are in the morning, we'll see those on late evening.

4. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

The only thing that I'm at all interested in watching is figure skating :lol:

However, my cousin will be participating in the olympics this year (his second time), for the Canadian Men's Luge team. Since they're here in Canada this year, I'll be able to go cheer him on, which I'm really looking forward to :beer:

5. Jacquie

I'm bumping this thread up as the Winter Olympics are less than a week away.

Vancouver Olympic organizers are having to truck in snow for some of the skiing events :eek: I guess this is what happens when Mother Nature decides not to grace the mountains with snow this year :rolleyes:

I won't be watching the Olympics but I will be cheering Canada on. It'll be interesting to see how the Canadian athletes will perform on their home turf.

Go Canada

6. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

What? I have no idea where the skiing events will be held, but I thought it would be at the ski hills, and it always seem to be enough snow there during winter. But I dont know, as I am only guessing. Very surprising though.

I am going to watch the Winter Olympics whenever I can, as it will be aired mainly during nights here (what I've seen so far, while checking tv guides. lovely time difference :rolleyes:) I will watch whatever I can watch, no specific sports as I am not fastidious. As long as Sweden do well (hopefully), I will be happy.

7. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I'm not surprised about the lack of snow. My sister and brother in law were skiing in Whistler not to long ago and said the slopes were pretty barron. It was the road up there that was tricky as well. :eekL

I don't live that far from the Canadian boarder. Vancouver is 3 and half hours away. And we have several local athletes competing.

To me, the Olympics rekindle National Pride.

8. Brooklyn_Girl30

Brooklyn_Girl30 Dead on Arrival

YEAH, VANCOUVER MIGHT BE IN TROUBLE WITH NO SNOW FOR THE OLYMPICS 2010, LOL:guffaw:

MY PRDICTION TOP 4 TEAMS GOING INTO QUARTER FINALS, MENS HOCKEY :

1. CANADA
    2.RUSSIA
    3.USA
    4. NOT SURE............COULD BE SWEDEN OR CZECKS.

OFCOURESE TEAM USA IS A NATURALL CHOICE, BUT I HAVE A GUT FEELING IT WILL BE A EUROPEAN TEAM TO TAKE THE GOLD.

9. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

Can't wait till the end of the week I wish I was ion Canada My aunt and uncle live in Toronto and they love to see the Olympics in their home country

10. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Okay, if you don't mind I will ask you some questions. Maybe it can lead to a nice disussion.

- How many here will be watching the Winter Olympics? Why/Why not?
    - If you are going to watch it, will it be on television/tv or a mix of tv and going to some events live? Are you going to watch as much as possible, or will you only watch these sports you are interested in?
    - What's your favorite Winter Olympic game to watch?
    - Is there any winter sport you dislike, and won't watch during the Winter Olympics?

I will give my own answers later, but I am in a hurry at the moment. And it will be quite a long answer later. I promise. But it would be interesting to read your point of views too.

11. Jacquie

I have no intention of watching any of the Olympics. Call me unpatriotic but most of what is shown on TV doesn't interest me. I will however be following the Olympics in the newspapers and online. If the Olympics were truly about 'amateur' sports it might be different. I don't think overpaid hockey players or any overpaid professional athlete should be representing their countries. To me the Olympics are about amateur sports.

That being all said I will be one of the silent ones cheering for the Canadian Athletes in the Olympics.

Go Canada

12. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

So you like 'amateur' sports, but nothing else? I am just curious.

I will watch as much as possible, but the time difference will cause some problems. So I won't be able to watch that much at all. Maybe some games, but I will miss a lot. So I will mainly keep myself updated in the newspapers and online.

It doesn't really matter what I am watching. Well, I prefer ice hockey so I will watch these games whenever I get the chance. But I will try to watch the other sports and their games too. As I have no favourite really, and there is no sport I dislike.

I am not really interested in sports. I mainly watch big events; it could be world cups, the Olympic Games or something similar. Otherwise I am not really interested in sports at all. I used to be a big fan of some sports, and even did attend some events live. Regulary. But somehow I lost interest, but I did not lose everything. So the Olympic Games are kinda special to me. Therefore I will follow it, and try to watch as much as possible.

13. Jacquie

Nope. I enjoy baseball but that's a little difficult to play in the winter.

14. Brooklyn_Girl30

Brooklyn_Girl30 Dead on Arrival

I'm Super Excited for the 2010 Olymipics Coming Up.....

5 New York Rangers Will Be Going

Ryan Callahan, Chris Drury(USA), Henrik Lundqvist:adore: (Sweden), Marion Gaborik (Slovakia),Vinny Prospal(Czech Republic)

They Have 1 More Game Before Thier Break......And The Next Time We'll See Them - It Will Be A While.

There is some coverage on the news already, showing a lot of the behind the scenes of the Olympics.

Vancouver is Outta Luck With the Warm temperatures....Guess We'll Have To Celebrate the Olympics with No Snow.

15. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

For the record, the snowboard events and some other stuff will be on the local Vancouver mountains, and yes- they have been having some snow issues. They've actually put pipes of liquid nitrogen under the runs to keep the snow there! :eek:

The rest of the alpine events, (men's and womens's alpine teams, the luge, etc) will be at Whistler and they are not lacking for snow at all. I was just there snowboarding on Sunday and there are TONS of snow up there. Snow will not be an issues there. My only concern will be the visibility, which can sometimes suck pretty badly.

Vancouver is electric right now. You can just feel it walking around downtown. It's kind of cool.

I will be watching selected events, but overall I'm not that impressed with how the IOC handles things, so I'm not really a fan of "the business" of the Olympics. I'm 100% behind our athletes at all times, though. Go CANADA! :D